The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 9 April 2007, 12:47 PM   #1
TUZRVR
"TRF" Member

Watch: me closely
how to buy a rolex

Hello I am new here and had a couple of questions. I am getting ready to buy my first Rolex and have a lot of questions. I joined TRF knowing a lot of different opinions would be the best way to help me make the right decision.

First, I am going to buy either a sub LV (the green one), or the GMT II (black/red or black/black). If I bought a used one how do I verify that it is real? Also I am reading about a serial #'s and registration. It sounds like buying a car and there is a lot of paper work that puts that particular watch in your name, is this paper work transferable? So if I buy a used one can I get new paper work that will be in my name? Someone told me it stays in the original owners name forever, is this true?

Second, If I buy new how do I get these discounts everyone talks about or is that just a running joke here on the forums..(like I said I am new)? How do I find an AD?

Thanx for any help I have enjoyed checking out everyones reviews and pics, it is makeing the decision on the sub or GMT even harder.
TUZRVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 April 2007, 01:03 PM   #2
puffnmo

HI TUZ - WELCOME TO THE FORUMS! I can only offer one piece of advice, as I don't know anything about the paperwork question.
My suggestion is : Find a Rolex which you can afford, and buy it new from an Authorised Dealer, such as Tourneau, Geary's, (in L.A.). If you are in another part of California it is worth traveling to the nearest city where there is an Authorised Rolex dealer.

For your first Rolex the important things are authenticity and condition, as well as warranty. Forget about getting a great deal on this one and just get a great watch. You will learn more as you go along, and get the great buy down the road. JMO.

Good luck, all best. Larry.
puffnmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 April 2007, 01:07 PM   #3
TUZRVR
"TRF" Member

thats great advise, I live in the Inland Empire,( Upland) so L.A. isnt too far
Old 9 April 2007, 01:13 PM   #4
TUZRVR
"TRF" Member

On some of the used GMT and Sub's I see for sale people make a big deal about the "D" series serial #?
Old 9 April 2007, 01:33 PM   #5
kings4sap
"TRF" Member

Watch: DD 40
Welcome -

Ditto on the advice re: getting Rollie #1 from an AD. Just please do not buy it from Tourneau - they DO NOT deserve your business. If you PM me I will give you a couple of salespeople working for AD's in OC that I like. Getting the LV will be very tough (do a search on the prior posts to see what I went through to get mine). You will never see one sitting around an AD display case - you will need to negotiate an cajole and be very lucky. May be a tough one to shoot for on you first. I'd go the GMT route - an extremely nice watch.

Since my advice is to buy new from an AD then I will skip the issues you brought up re: pre-owned. When you buy your new one the AD will process the paperwork for you so no worries there.

There is a helpful link re: serial numbers on this site. A "D" serial is one removed from the most current "Z". The "D" would have been manufactured sometime between Jan 05 and Jul 06.

Good luck to you.

K4S
kings4sap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 April 2007, 04:27 PM   #6
TUZRVR
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kings4sap View Post
Welcome -

Ditto on the advice re: getting Rollie #1 from an AD. Just please do not buy it from Tourneau - they DO NOT deserve your business. If you PM me I will give you a couple of salespeople working for AD's in OC that I like. Getting the LV will be very tough (do a search on the prior posts to see what I went through to get mine). You will never see one sitting around an AD display case - you will need to negotiate an cajole and be very lucky. May be a tough one to shoot for on you first. I'd go the GMT route - an extremely nice watch.

Since my advice is to buy new from an AD then I will skip the issues you brought up re: pre-owned. When you buy your new one the AD will process the paperwork for you so no worries there.

There is a helpful link re: serial numbers on this site. A "D" serial is one removed from the most current "Z". The "D" would have been manufactured sometime between Jan 05 and Jul 06.

Good luck to you.

K4S

thank you very much. I am going to buy new. Just makes better sense until I learn more about everthing
Old 9 April 2007, 04:43 PM   #7
Arturo
"TRF" Member

Watch: Black GMT ll
You are thinking of exactly my 2 Rollie watches....The LV Sub and the Black Beauty GMT. I love this pair of watches to get me through everything.

You can get the GMT ll pretty easily up here in Oregon at a number of AD's and there are no taxes. Hey, drive up tp Grants Pass or Eugene....GIve me a call and I can direct you where to go. You won't get a discount on the LV most likely unless you have already bought a bunch of watches from an AD. But you need not pay a dime more than MRSP either. I think the GMT is a great choice however, and don't get hung up on the bezel as that can be replaced with other options for not that much money. I think a new bezel is $90.
Arturo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 April 2007, 04:46 PM   #8
Blue Bull
Banned

New,from AD,at the best possible discount.A ss sport Rolex is an excellent buy as a first Rolex ~ Sub/Date,Sea-Dweller,GMT II.

DONT come back and tell us you bought at list.It WILL be held against you !!!!!
Blue Bull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 April 2007, 02:40 AM   #9
Gaijin
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: ing your back.
You can get a new Z serial number GMT II with the bezel you want for $4500 at my AD. With no sales tax. PM me if interested.
Gaijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 April 2007, 03:23 AM   #10
TUZRVR
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KansaiVet View Post
You can get a new Z serial number GMT II with the bezel you want for $4500 at my AD. With no sales tax. PM me if interested.

pm sent

How easy are the bezels to replace? That would be the way to go I think. Buy the pepsi, red black, and black, if they are easy to switch out then you I could have one watch for every ocasion.
Old 10 April 2007, 05:36 AM   #11
AdamB

TUZRVR...have a look here, a tutorial by the pictorial master:

http://www.vikbobil.se/bezel.html
AdamB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 April 2007, 06:08 AM   #12
TUZRVR
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamB View Post
TUZRVR...have a look here, a tutorial by the pictorial master:

http://www.vikbobil.se/bezel.html
that seems to be easy enough thanx
Old 10 April 2007, 11:14 AM   #13
BLSampson
"TRF" Member

Watch: TT Blue Submariner
Contact Tyler at Meierotto's Jewelry in Kansas City. Tell him Bryan Sampson sent you. He is a AD. I've bought 3 Rolex's from him.
Good Luck
Old 10 April 2007, 05:12 PM   #14
pcarson

Watch: 16610 Sub Date
Quote:
Originally Posted by TUZRVR View Post
that seems to be easy enough thanx
It does look simple, I'll grant you. I'll bet you any money at any odds that I could stuff it up magnificently, scratch the case, break the insert and not "pop" the bezel back on. The only "popping" would be that little artery in your temple that throbs when you're cross. That's despite having ideal conditions for such work. Any takers on the forum want to bet I could end up with a box full of pieces, a repair bill and a (plane) trip to the AD in Brisbane? If I can get enough interest, I'll video the whole disaster, my swearing included, and post it on my own site.

Seriously; brand new, good AD, no adventures, no bargains and no fuss are good rules for new Rolex owners. Get a good watch, enjoy it and learn as you go.

I'm a new owner myself, and for this sort of money you're better to have your sleep than a bargain.

If you want some technical info, a bit of philosophy, good links, a good article on authenticity and a bunch of other stuff you can't go past John Holbrook's page at:-

http://www.rolexreferencepage.com/

but if you hang around here, you'll also learn heaps and see what happens when some jokers step out of line AND you'll laugh like a drain.

TRF is the omni-Rolex experience! Philosophers, intellectuals, techies, adverturers, workers, shirkers, bullshitters, the warm-hearted and the cold-mouthed: all here and all sorting each other out.

Anyway, that's my 2cents' worth. Welcome and enjoy the forum. Did you say you also wanted a watch...
pcarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 2007, 01:01 AM   #15
puffnmo

Only reason I mentioned Tourneau is that they will give you a year to pay at no interest. That can ease the pain, but going to Oregon is good too. Skie's in Eugene gave me a small discount, and no tax 3 yrs ago... Larry.
puffnmo is offline   Reply With Quote