The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Closed Thread

Old 9 May 2011, 10:53 AM   #1
ATH
Banned

Location: oklahoma
Dealing with Bill Wylie a/k/a "425ranger"

I closed a deal today with Bill for the D series Sea Dweller he has posted on here. Several hours later he sends me an email stating he has decided not to honor our agreement, which we all know means he got a better offer after he contracted to sell the watch to me and now wishes to back out. I emailed him back and politely stated that I expected him to honor our agreement. He has refused to respond. The purpose of this post is to make all aware of his dishonorable conduct and to warn others to be weary of Mr. Wylie. Anyone interested in reading the email string that corroborates my account of these events, please email me and I am happy to share it. It is unfortunate that certain people do not conduct themselves with more integrity within our community. We do not have to tolerate this type of unscrupulous practice and I for one am appalled that someone would conduct themselves in this manner.

Andrew
ATH is offline
Old 9 May 2011, 10:53 PM   #2
TimeToGo
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Location: North Florida
This is an unfortunate event. Sorry to hear.

I believe that things happen for a reason and maybe this was not meant to be for you.

Be patient, you may find something better!
TimeToGo is offline
Old 9 May 2011, 10:58 PM   #3
gqllc
"TRF" Member

gqllc's Avatar

Real Name: Steve
Location: Albany NY
Watch: Blue Bezel SubC
That totally sucks. Sorry to hear about that. I think you need to move this over to the Who/Who's section of buyers and sellers.
__________________
K-TT Datejust, Random Blue Bezel SubC
gqllc is offline
Old 9 May 2011, 11:18 PM   #4
ATH
Banned

Location: oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeToGo View Post
This is an unfortunate event. Sorry to hear.

I believe that things happen for a reason and maybe this was not meant to be for you.

Be patient, you may find something better!
Thanks guys- it's just a shame people like this still frequent these boards. Regards,

Andrew
ATH is offline
Old 9 May 2011, 11:23 PM   #5
johnbeth
"TRF" Member

johnbeth's Avatar

Real Name: John
Location: Australia
Watch: Depends on mood.
why post it twice?

http://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=175865
johnbeth is offline
Old 9 May 2011, 11:24 PM   #6
MonBK
Banned

Location: Kingstown
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnbeth View Post
He's upset.
MonBK is offline
Old 9 May 2011, 11:42 PM   #7
Welshwatchman
"TRF" Member

Welshwatchman's Avatar

Real Name: Paul
Location: Wales, UK
If you offered the full asking price then I'd say - naughty naughty.

If you beat the price down then he found someone who'd pay the asking price I'd say - fair enough.

... unless you had paid and he had to return the payment, that would be bad form.
__________________
..33
Welshwatchman is offline
Old 9 May 2011, 11:58 PM   #8
MonBK
Banned

Location: Kingstown
Agree with Paul. there's always two sides to a story and I'd like to hear the other side before passing judgement.
MonBK is offline
Old 10 May 2011, 12:20 AM   #9
ATH
Banned

Location: oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Welshwatchman View Post
If you offered the full asking price then I'd say - naughty naughty.

If you beat the price down then he found someone who'd pay the asking price I'd say - fair enough.

... unless you had paid and he had to return the payment, that would be bad form.
I agree Paul and as you can read from the email string between Bill and I, the deal closed with my agreement to pay his full asking price of $5200 via bankwire: The chronology of the email runs from the bottom of the page to the top. See for yourself- it's clear we had a deal and Bill refused to honor it:

Im sick over this sale.

I can't do it. What a p@ss* [word redacted by ATH due to forum rules on profanity]. I have never had sellers regret before even shipping the watch. I am truly only looking for a trade.

Apologize to you.

Bill

Sent from Yahoo! Mail on Android

Old 10 May 2011, 12:36 AM   #10
Mosco
"TRF" Member

Mosco's Avatar

Real Name: Greg
Location: Cincinnati
Watch: I like to...
So the guy changed his mind.... No reason for burning him at the stake, IMO. As sellers, it happens to us all the time, we just move on. Now if money had already been sent and this happened then ok, I'd be livid too. But nothing was lost, only effort to type a couple emails. Just my twopence.
__________________
Instagram - @CaliberSwiss

“A man who procrastinates in his choosing will inevitably have his choice made for him by circumstance.” - Hunter S. Thompson
Mosco is offline
Old 10 May 2011, 12:43 AM   #11
ATH
Banned

Location: oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosco View Post
So the guy changed his mind.... No reason for burning him at the stake, IMO. As sellers, it happens to us all the time, we just move on. Now if money had already been sent and this happened then ok, I'd be livid too. But nothing was lost, only effort to type a couple emails. Just my twopence.
Mosco- I appreciate your perspective but I am an enthusiast rather than a "seller" on these boards. When a deal closes, I fully expect the other party to perform per the terms of our agreement. I let 3 other watches go yesterday in reliance on the deal between Bill and I, so the "loss" to me is more than just the time spent typing a couple of emails. The cost of my time alone would have been bad enough-IMO.

Andrew
ATH is offline
Old 10 May 2011, 12:48 AM   #12
Mosco
"TRF" Member

Mosco's Avatar

Real Name: Greg
Location: Cincinnati
Watch: I like to...
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATH View Post
Mosco- I appreciate your perspective but I am an enthusiast rather than a "seller" on these boards. When a deal closes, I fully expect the other party to perform per the terms of our agreement. I let 3 other watches go yesterday in reliance on the deal between Bill and I, so the "loss" to me is more than just the time spent typing a couple of emails. The cost of my time alone would have been bad enough-IMO.

Andrew
I hear ya man, I'd be upset too. Point is - Bill is not a scammer, just indecisive. He didn't intend to steal from you... This 'Watchout' section is littered with mentions of absolute low-lifes who intend to defraud, Bill clearly isn't one of those. Sorry you missed out on a great watch - but we both know, Rolexes are easily replaceable, so I'm sure another one will come around.
__________________

Old 10 May 2011, 01:02 AM   #13
Welshwatchman
"TRF" Member

Welshwatchman's Avatar

Real Name: Paul
Location: Wales, UK
While I'd say "naughty naughty" I'd just leave it at that, no real biggie.

I agree with the Mosc, we are as one.
__________________
..33
Welshwatchman is offline
Old 10 May 2011, 01:03 AM   #14
Mosco

Awww.... You had me at 'hello'
__________________

Old 10 May 2011, 01:07 AM   #15
Welshwatchman
"TRF" Member

Welshwatchman's Avatar

Real Name: Paul
Location: Wales, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosco View Post
Awww.... You had me at 'hello'
You had me at Blancpain Unique Edition (or whatever that bloody one off was called).
__________________
..33
Welshwatchman is offline
Old 10 May 2011, 01:41 AM   #16
425ranger
"TRF" Member

425ranger's Avatar

Real Name: Bill
Location: MI
Watch: Marathon SAR
Hi.

After many many deals I have run into a guy who is a bully. I was considering selling him a watch. I only wanted a Trade but he lowballed me, and then he offered an amount and in the offer was wire transfer. I am not comfortable with that and I find my CU down't even have it. I decided to terminate the transaction. I didn't call his references and didn't charge him anything.

There is no deal, for anything, until all terms and conditions are satisfied. They were not here. I pulled the sale and notified him quickly, with my apologies.

MY references for all to see..... (which are posted on my WUS user name 425ranger)

REFERENCES: WATCHDADDY1, "Tamburello, Vito G" <vito.tamburello@mapleleaf.com>, Paul <captpar@cox.net>, GeorgeAb George Abrahams <justbe973@gmail.com; faingator; John Gaines <jrg_100362@hotmail.com> orange54 MAtt Myers <myers-matt@hotmail.com>, revhrd, Shaun Bozorg <sbozorg@aol.com>, Gary Haley <garyhaley@charter.net>, zidane, demer03, Craig Coughlin <craigcoughlin@hotmail.com, Scott D Kaplan <scottk@hqmilton.com>, PFUND28, cangelosijeff (Jeff Cangelosi <jcangelosi@me.com>), makeitrain, watchbureau, 1watchaholic, manitoujoe, Drez, deepcdvr, GGD, link2derek, lenk, yohoho, frank, patstarrx, adelao@pacbell.net, SunDevilForLife, 2thfxr, dep126, DMB, Broker, hpark21, V8, dep126, docdoowop, mmrkks@aol.com, richard.howe, Foxglove, Antonio de la O <adelao@pacbell.net>, Jorge Gonzalez C <jrg.a.gonzalez@gmail.com>, Richard kaplan <rlewisk@sbcglobal.net>David LaFalce <dlafalce@thehybridgroup.net>, Nick McDearis <mcdeazy@gmail.com>, JS <orionebays@gmail.com>

425Ranger (WUS and DWC), shelbytwpk9 (tz and TRF)

All the best to everyone, and many happy deals in the future.

Bill
__________________
Sic as ye gie, sic wull ye get.
425ranger is offline
Old 10 May 2011, 01:43 AM   #17
MonBK
Banned

Location: Kingstown
Thanks for posting the other side of the story Bill

MonBK is offline
Old 10 May 2011, 01:52 AM   #18
425ranger
"TRF" Member

425ranger's Avatar

Real Name: Bill
Location: MI
Watch: Marathon SAR
FROM THE BULLY

You know I may go ahead and sue you for breach of contract just so maybe you'll learn a lesson and realize you can't treat people this way for too long without it costing you. It seems as if you still don't understand that what you did was wrong which is very troubling to me. I'll talk to you again soon Bill-

Andrew
__________________
Sic as ye gie, sic wull ye get.
425ranger is offline
Old 10 May 2011, 01:53 AM   #19
425ranger
"TRF" Member

425ranger's Avatar

Real Name: Bill
Location: MI
Watch: Marathon SAR
MORE FROM THE BULLY

We’ll see about that Bill. I’m a lawyer so I know a contract when I see it. You’re a dishonest and dishonorable person. I’m going to do my best to make sure you don’t do this to anyone else moving forward.

Andrew
__________________
Sic as ye gie, sic wull ye get.
425ranger is offline
Old 10 May 2011, 01:54 AM   #20
Naples09
"TRF" Member

Real Name: Jim
Location: Naples, FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATH View Post
MORE FROM THE BULLY

We’ll see about that Bill. I’m a lawyer so I know a contract when I see it. You’re a dishonest and dishonorable person. I’m going to do my best to make sure you don’t do this to anyone else moving forward.

Andrew
Nice.
Naples09 is offline
Old 10 May 2011, 02:02 AM   #21
Route 66
"TRF" Member

Route 66's Avatar

Real Name: Steve
Location: Burbank, CA
Watch: 214270 Mark II
This thread is going down like a homesick mole.

IBTL
Route 66 is offline
Old 10 May 2011, 02:11 AM   #22
dieselgeek
"TRF" Member

Real Name: Ryan
Location: DFW
Watch: GMT II C Pepsi
Andrew sure is being a Jerk.

Bill is a great member on many forums and a good person. Andrew is being a crybaby brat about the whole thing. MOVE ON.
dieselgeek is offline
Old 10 May 2011, 02:11 AM   #23
moishlashen
Member

Real Name: Chris
Location: Midwest, USA
Bill has been around the forums for a long time and he has been a rock solid guy in every way shape and form. I will stake my long time stellar forum rep on it.

He didn't want to accept wire-its his choice and we've all been in these sales transactions when stuff flies fast and furiously without thought and then when thought catches up we have reservations.

Bill is not the kind of guy who would nix a deal in order to make more money either.
moishlashen is offline
Old 10 May 2011, 02:17 AM   #24
Mosco
"TRF" Member

Mosco's Avatar

Real Name: Greg
Location: Cincinnati
Watch: I like to...
OP - not cool. Threats aren't very much appreciated here. Why didn't you mention in your account that you threatened to sue?

Given the info at hand, I think this whole circus was for naught.
__________________

Old 10 May 2011, 02:18 AM   #25
dieselgeek
"TRF" Member

Real Name: Ryan
Location: DFW
Watch: GMT II C Pepsi
Lawyer
From Oklahoma

nuff said.
dieselgeek is offline
Old 10 May 2011, 02:26 AM   #26
matt.wu
"TRF" Member

matt.wu's Avatar

Location: Bay Area, CA, USA
I've dealt with Bill on many different occasions and have enjoyed each one thoroughly. He's a standup guy in every sense of the word.
matt.wu is offline
Old 10 May 2011, 02:30 AM   #27
RALAUstin
"TRF" Member

Location: Texas
Sadly, this type of "I'm going to sue you" response (from the original poster) is what gives lawyers a bad reputation. If anything, I think the "caveat" has turned around on the original poster for many of us reading this thread.

Short story. Years ago, when I was in house as an attorney at a large restaurant company, a first year associate at a law firm in my state wrote my company complaining that a meal made him sick and he was demanding 20K for lost wages, etc... and was sure to include his firm's letterhead and his lofty position, etc.... Long story short, that same firm was in the middle of handling a huge financing deal for us and got close to 1MM in fees from us for a couple years running. The lead attorney/senior partner of that firm got a copy of the letter in short order, and that associate was not there for much longer.

It never pays to flash your law license or make threats when you are in the law profession, even if you think it is non-public. Never know how it will turn out for you.
RALAUstin is offline
Old 10 May 2011, 02:33 AM   #28
kareemthedream33
"TRF" Member

kareemthedream33's Avatar

Location: Canada
Watch: Explorer
Quote:
Originally Posted by RALAUstin View Post
[...]

Very good story and lesson.
kareemthedream33 is offline
Old 10 May 2011, 02:37 AM   #29
Welshwatchman
"TRF" Member

Welshwatchman's Avatar

Real Name: Paul
Location: Wales, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by 425ranger View Post
MORE FROM THE BULLY

We’ll see about that Bill. I’m a lawyer so I know a contract when I see it. You’re a dishonest and dishonorable person. I’m going to do my best to make sure you don’t do this to anyone else moving forward.

Andrew
You may be in a minority of one with regard to your views.

I don't think you are a bully in fact, even though you seem to be making a damn good impersonation of one.

Members, please keep this one under boiling point. Opinions can be made without forcing me to close it down.
__________________
..33
Welshwatchman is offline
Old 10 May 2011, 02:42 AM   #30
Mosco
"TRF" Member

Mosco's Avatar

Real Name: Greg
Location: Cincinnati
Watch: I like to...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Welshwatchman View Post
You may be in a minority of one with regard to your views.

I don't think you are a bully in fact, even though you seem to be making a damn good impersonation of one.

Members, please keep this one under boiling point. Opinions can be made without forcing me to close it down.
Paul, i think you inadvertently quoted Bill who was quoting Andrew