The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 18 July 2011, 09:25 AM   #1
stapler101

BNIB warranty question

When a watch is advertised as bnib but states that the warranty card is named and dated, does that void the warranty under the Rolex no transfer rule?
stapler101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 July 2011, 09:43 AM   #2
mrbill2mrbill2
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610
In the US the warranty is not tranferable. But, RSC Dallas seems to not enforce this - RSC NYC does.

Old 18 July 2011, 09:45 AM   #3
springer
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT-MASTER
Quote:
Originally Posted by stapler101 View Post
When a watch is advertised as bnib but states that the warranty card is named and dated, does that void the warranty under the Rolex no transfer rule?
I'd say yes, as the warranty is for the original buyer of the watch in the USA. Even if the warranty card is blank, and Rolex is suspicious that the watch was purchased on the secondary market, they will probably void the warranty also. With that said, If you are asked by Rolex where the watch was purchased and it doesn't match the records in Rolex's database for the selling dealer or your name is not the same as the person that purchased the watch as indicated from the records of the selling dealer, you might have some explaining to do to try and convince Rolex you purchased the watch new from an authorized dealer.

Basically, whether the warranty card is filled out or not, Rolex is able to determine if you are the original purchaser of the watch if they are suspicious of any warranty repair request.

INSTAGRAM USER NAME: SPRINGERJFP
Visit my Instagram page to view some of the finest vintage GMTs anywhere - as well as other vintage classics.
springer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18 July 2011, 10:10 AM   #4
Watch Professor
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT IIC; Sub Date
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbill2mrbill2 View Post
in the us the warranty is not tranferable. But, rsc dallas seems to not enforce this - rsc nyc does.

+1
Old 18 July 2011, 10:14 AM   #5
Welshwatchman
"TRF" Member

If your Rolex was purchased in EU then Rolex NYC has to honour the warranty on the watch itself.
Old 18 July 2011, 01:25 PM   #6
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 SUBMARINER Patron

Watch: GMT's
If Rolex suspects a "Grey Market" watch in the USA, then they may ask for proof-of-purchase.

This is because such watches have not gone through their distrubutorship and so a "warranty" has not been purchased...

Those who purchase such watches because they want to save a few bucks, and then expect to get a "free" warranty, should not be upset if their warranty is denied..

However, after more than 2 dozen Rolex watches over the past several decades, I have never had the need for any warranty work. A couple of watches began to run fast after the warranty period and Rolex corected the timing without charge..
Old 18 July 2011, 02:08 PM   #7
kareemthedream33
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tools View Post
If Rolex suspects a "Grey Market" watch in the USA, then they may ask for proof-of-purchase.

This is because such watches have not gone through their distrubutorship and so a "warranty" has not been purchased...

Those who purchase such watches because they want to save a few bucks, and then expect to get a "free" warranty, should not be upset if their warranty is denied..

However, after more than 2 dozen Rolex watches over the past several decades, I have never had the need for any warranty work. A couple of watches began to run fast after the warranty period and Rolex corected the timing without charge..
If it did not go through their distributorship then where did the watch come from. It had to have come from an AD at some point, right?
kareemthedream33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 July 2011, 03:02 PM   #8
JUSTROLEXES
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
2024 SUBMARINER Sponsor & Boutique Seller

Watch: Yacht-Master
Quote:
In the US the warranty is not tranferable. But, RSC Dallas seems to not enforce this - RSC NYC does.

Well said Bill and not sure why who's name on the warranty is that important?? ... 99% of the times the warranty expires before anything is needed on the watch and regardless of that you can still send the watch for service if needed at your own expences and still be ahead of paying retail
Old 18 July 2011, 03:24 PM   #9
chestercopperpot
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Yeah, one time I called RSC NYC about a warranty swap and told them Dallas already okayed it...they politely asked whom in Dallas.

I ended up acting like George Costanza mumbled and hung up as I didn't want to get anyone in trouble.

I might live in NYC but Dallas will always get my business ha
chestercopperpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 July 2011, 04:46 PM   #10
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tools View Post
if rolex suspects a "grey market" watch in the usa, then they may ask for proof-of-purchase.

However, after more than 2 dozen rolex watches over the past several decades, i have never had the need for any warranty work. A couple of watches began to run fast after the warranty period and rolex corected the timing without charge..
x2

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote