The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 26 June 2007, 12:29 AM   #1
GerardoG
Banned

Watch: ALL of them
Interesting article on Rolex....

Well boys and girls; I decided to 'slow down' this weekend and have a 'mini' vacation; so I worked until Friday afternoon (around 4 pm) and then retired to the beach...for 3 days. No cell, no BlackBerry, no laptop. Just a bunch of magazines, cigars, sunglasses and suntan lotion (plus drinks!). I am back @ work and find that JJ is back in 'love' with Rolex (congrats!) with a 'white beauty'; but I wanted to share with you an article I read on a watch magazine from Spain in which they go into the mechanics of the YM-II. I still do not like the design but after reading how the 'countdown' timer works and how the bezel is also hooked to (?) this timer to activate it, I have to recognize that it is a mechanical wonder. However, there is a sentence that made me drop my cigar, this magazine states that the YM-II had been in the works for 10 years and that it is only the beginning of the 'new' Rolex era, in which new models will be released yearly. That's all they say but it really made me think; I do like new things (models) but one of the reasons I like Rolex is because their designs are timeless, a DayDate is still (and will always be) the 'president'; ditto for the sub, EXP, DJ and so on.

So anyway, this is not confirmed news but I wanted to share it with you.

Have a great week and JJ: CONGRATS again!!
GerardoG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 June 2007, 12:51 AM   #2
Mr. K
"TRF" Member

Wow that would be interesting if they released new models every year.

Rolex is great at marketing. If they started to produce new model watches and sales dropped, I am sure they would go back to the concentrating n the clasics!

I too like Rolex classic style.
Mr. K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 June 2007, 12:57 AM   #3
Lol-x
Facilitator

Very interesting news/prediction I guess time will tell, but I do believe that Rolex does an incredible amount of testing before releasing a model or a revision to an existing model. Thanks for the info
Lol-x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 June 2007, 01:01 AM   #4
mike
"TRF" Member

Interesting..I suppose one could interpret that to me upgrading of current references or the reintroduction of old. Both of which we've seen. I have read of supposed "sweeping changes" over the next few years, but who really knows.
mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 June 2007, 01:07 AM   #5
fire-ballz

Watch: SS GMT II
Very interesting indeed.

If Rolex is about to embark in a new era of new watches and the majority of the Rolex Fan Club is okay with that, then I guess Rolex is heading in the right direction.

Thanks for sharing that little info.
fire-ballz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 June 2007, 01:25 AM   #6
eduardogmtii
"TRF" Member

Watch: rolex gmt ii,
perhaps rolex will continue to make the current yachtmaster, with the new one, like the explorer i and ii? when they see the effect of the sales. ?

Either way, I think whether we see it that way or not, we all like Rolex here for their classic looks. I am into fashion, but not trends. I always dress well and get compliments, but I also stick to classic looks. And even my most fashion foward trend following friends drool over my GMT ii. Because there is much to be said for the classics. This reminds me of the line in the movie Gone in 60 Seconds...

Memphis Raines:I've been in L.A. for three months now. I have money, I have taste. But I'm not on anybody's "A" list, and Saturday night is the loneliest night for the week for me.

Car Salesman: Well, a Ferrari would certainly change that.

Memphis Raines: Perhaps, Mmmm. But, you know, this is the one. Yes, yes yes... I saw three of these parked outside the local Starbucks this morning, which tells me only one thing. There's too many self-Indulgent wieners in this city with too much bloody money! Now, if I was driving a 1967 275 GTB four-cam...

Car Salesman: You would not be a self-indulgent wiener, sir... You'd be a connoisseur.
eduardogmtii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 June 2007, 02:38 AM   #7
GoldenBear
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariner
I haven't seen too many things where the new is better than the original. If true, something as classic as our "old school" Rolexes will become even more valuable.
GoldenBear is offline   Reply With Quote