The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Classifieds > WatchOut!!!

View Poll Results: Rolex Chronometer "Prestex"? Did Rolex ever make this model? Post a Poll
No 4 80.00%
Yes 1 20.00%
Yes, but that one is fake 0 0%
Voters: 5. You may not vote on this poll

Old 30 August 2012, 10:30 AM   #1
zbarrister
"TRF" Member

Icon20 Rolex Chronometer "Prestex"? Did Rolex ever make this model?

It was a gift from my brother; I didn't have the heart to tell him this is worse than a fake, as there was never anything to "fake."
Did Rolex ever make or offer this watch? Pictures attached. I've never heard of it.
Thank you for your help.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Perplex.jpg (86.9 KB, 267 views)
File Type: jpg Perplex2.jpg (106.8 KB, 267 views)
File Type: jpg 2012-08-29 16.51.18-2.jpg (95.9 KB, 268 views)
File Type: jpg 2012-08-29 16.40.33.jpg (65.6 KB, 268 views)
File Type: jpg 2012-08-29 16.40.16.jpg (94.3 KB, 271 views)
zbarrister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 August 2012, 01:41 PM   #2
crowncollection
"TRF" Member

hi, resellers like watch and jewellery stores could add their company name on the dial in those days, it may be a retailers name and not a model name, i hope this helps regards
Old 31 August 2012, 03:58 PM   #3
zbarrister
"TRF" Member

Thank you

OK, if this is the case, what model rolex is that?
Old 1 September 2012, 12:47 AM   #4
de66
"TRF" Member

Maybe a silly question but: have you tried to contact Rolex directly?
de66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 September 2012, 01:40 PM   #5
zbarrister
"TRF" Member

Not a silly question at all; I never though of that. Indeed, I didn't even know they would entertain such questions. Thank you. Can you point me in the right direction, or is it just a matter of going to the website and find the page for submitting questions?
Boy, I would feel so stupid if this was an actual model Rolex made AND a real one at that.
Old 1 September 2012, 03:13 PM   #6
crowncollection
"TRF" Member

it's a 1920's or 30's if real. I have books on these, the watch is named after the case style this is a rectangular case model I am looking at a similar watch in my book, I can't find that dial it could be redone dial. I would not right it off as a fake yet. Get a watchmaker to open it and look at the movement is it Rolex.
Old 2 September 2012, 08:18 PM   #7
freefly
"TRF" Member

Watch: 4&5-digit Sub/GMTs
I believe "Prestex" is/was a UK-based watch company that was started in the late `50's. So, unless I am missing something and they colaborated with Rolex at some point, I'd say it's a fugazi.
freefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 September 2012, 05:24 AM   #8
zbarrister
"TRF" Member

Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by crowncollection View Post
it's a 1920's or 30's if real. I have books on these, the watch is named after the case style this is a rectangular case model I am looking at a similar watch in my book, I can't find that dial it could be redone dial. I would not right it off as a fake yet. Get a watchmaker to open it and look at the movement is it Rolex.
Quote:
Originally Posted by freefly View Post
I believe "Prestex" is/was a UK-based watch company that was started in the late `50's. So, unless I am missing something and they colaborated with Rolex at some point, I'd say it's a fugazi.
Crowncollection and Freefly:

Thank you very much gentlemen for your insight.

I haven't heard the word "Fugazi" since Pistone ("Brasco") explained to Lefty the authenticity of his diamonds. Since I'm learning how to repair, clean, and build vintages watches as a new hobby, I'll remove the case and post some pictures of the guts on a watch-building forum I belong to. If it's a Fugazi, I'll add it to my collection of starter/practice watches (it doesn't run). If it's genuine, I'll wait until I'm up to snuff and have all the right tools for a proper rebuild.
Old 3 September 2012, 05:56 AM   #9
MonBK
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by zbarrister View Post
Crowncollection and Freefly:

Thank you very much gentlemen for your insight.

I haven't heard the word "Fugazi" since Pistone ("Brasco") explained to Lefty the authenticity of his diamonds. Since I'm learning how to repair, clean, and build vintages watches as a new hobby, I'll remove the case and post some pictures of the guts on a watch-building forum I belong to. If it's a Fugazi, I'll add it to my collection of starter/practice watches (it doesn't run). If it's genuine, I'll wait until I'm up to snuff and have all the right tools for a proper rebuild.
Are you saying that 4-5 days later you still haven't opened it up?
MonBK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 September 2012, 06:11 PM   #10
de66
"TRF" Member

Rolex "alte uhren" division

Hi I tried calling the head office Rolex Geneva for you. They apparently have a department for "old watches".
The person in charge of that section (seems there is only one on duty for that department today) comes back later today so I will keep you informed what they say.
I downloaded your pics from here (trf) and will ask if they can accept them by email to at least have a look at them.
Old 3 September 2012, 06:23 PM   #11
crowncollection
"TRF" Member

Open it and send a picture of the movement.
Old 4 September 2012, 12:29 AM   #12
de66
"TRF" Member

here is what Rolex Geneva said

I contacted Rolex Geneva again this afternoon but unfortunately they said "they dont do that kind of thing".
"very old" watches are not examined by them and they told me (to get rid of me??) that they have no database or pictures of all the models they have produced throughout their history - which I found a little odd.

I was told that if the watch needed a service or a revision then it would have to be sent to them in Switzerland and they would "probably" be able to do it. I spoke to a lady by the name of Mrs. Sovinsky and she said the difficulty is shipping such old watches for fear of damage as they tend to be very sensitive.

She recommended that you take the watch to an official Rolex Dealer and talk to them about getting a revision done which would also enable the watch to be verified for authenticity. I am puzzled how they plan to do this when repairs on such vintage pieces are only done here in Switzerland and I wonder how they can verify authenticity when they do not have a full database (as Mrs. Sovinsky told me).

Surprisingly her second recommendation was for you to take the watch to Christies as the authenticators of choice for antique or vintage pieces. She couldnt say why Christies would know more about vintage Rolexes then Rolex.
I did all this through the numbers I PMd you.

I have not gone as far as contacting Christies for you. I guess you will have a better chance to do so by yourself as I assume they must have an office or auctionhouse in NY? Perhaps they would be able to tell you more if you can get them to let you send them the pics.

Good luck!!
D

Last edited by de66; 4 September 2012 at 01:22 AM.. Reason: typo
Old 4 September 2012, 03:53 AM   #13
zbarrister
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crowncollection View Post
Open it and send a picture of the movement.
Will do-Thank you.
Old 4 September 2012, 04:26 AM   #14
zbarrister
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonBK View Post
Are you saying that 4-5 days later you still haven't opened it up?
I own a collection of broken vintage watches I plan on rebuilding; but this is only a hobby. And a new one at that. I'm not doing it to make money (that's my day job), so I put aside my "unique" finds. With each watch I rebuild, I get a little better and usually upgrade or buy a new tool or two as well. In about six months, I should be ready to work on the good stuff. I was on the fence about the validity of my "Prestex" (I've had it for months). I'm ready to start a new project, and this one came to mind. If it's a fake, it's good for practice; if it's real, I'll wait until I'm up to snuff. Either way, it's not going anywhere, so I saw no need to rush. I've learned that next to top-notch tweezers and screwdrivers, patience is one the most important things a watchmaker should have.
Old 4 September 2012, 04:43 AM   #15
zbarrister
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by de66 View Post
I contacted Rolex Geneva again this afternoon but unfortunately they said "they dont do that kind of thing".
"very old" watches are not examined by them and they told me (to get rid of me??) that they have no database or pictures of all the models they have produced throughout their history - which I found a little odd.

I was told that if the watch needed a service or a revision then it would have to be sent to them in Switzerland and they would "probably" be able to do it. I spoke to a lady by the name of Mrs. Sovinsky and she said the difficulty is shipping such old watches for fear of damage as they tend to be very sensitive.

She recommended that you take the watch to an official Rolex Dealer and talk to them about getting a revision done which would also enable the watch to be verified for authenticity. I am puzzled how they plan to do this when repairs on such vintage pieces are only done here in Switzerland and I wonder how they can verify authenticity when they do not have a full database (as Mrs. Sovinsky told me).

Surprisingly her second recommendation was for you to take the watch to Christies as the authenticators of choice for antique or vintage pieces. She couldnt say why Christies would know more about vintage Rolexes then Rolex.
I did all this through the numbers I PMd you.

I have not gone as far as contacting Christies for you. I guess you will have a better chance to do so by yourself as I assume they must have an office or auctionhouse in NY? Perhaps they would be able to tell you more if you can get them to let you send them the pics.

Good luck!!
D
Thank you very much DE66; that was very kind of you. I appreciate your help. You are also quite insightful, and indeed her narrative was puzzling, if not contradictory. I'm going to take the movement out of the case in few days. If it isn't patently fake, I'll post some pics. I also have friend who works at Christie's, albeit in the vintage toy department. I'll ask him to get me in touch with someone. This will hopefully shed some light on this one.
Old 5 September 2012, 01:23 AM   #16
de66
"TRF" Member

If that does not work you could try your luck here:
www.greenwich.ch
it is a shop full of old and antique watches, run by an old Swiss German guy called Urs Pfister who seems knowledgable. I have not really dealt with him or talked to him directly except once. :-) He seemed like one of those typical characters out of a movie, a bit frustrated, grumpy but knowledgable, his attention immediately veerde away from me when another customer entered his shop and he realised that I was not going to buy anything. Behind the counter he has tons of reference books. His window is full of watches, I can easily stand half an hour in front of it, he has some good stuff there (rolex, omega, blancpain, cartier, tag heuer and probably more). I am not sure if he speaks any English but if he does you could try and "sell" him your watch :-))) see what he says.

Tags
chronograph