The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Classifieds > WatchOut!!!

Old 14 November 2007, 08:57 AM   #1
colemanitis
"TRF" Member

Watch: PAM 1090
Fake Panerai - how real they can look.

This is an example of how real an inexpensive fake can look. I'm no Panerai expert, but this looks very close to the real thing.

This was purchased for $60 in NYC and I'm shocked at how real it looks. Frankly, it scares me.

Everything you see on the watch is fully functional and works as you'd expect it to on the real McCoy.

If you're shopping for a Panerai, you might want to consider purchasing from an AD after looking at these pics.

Member #471
colemanitis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 November 2007, 09:03 AM   #2
Gaijin
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: ing your back.
That is scary.
Gaijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 November 2007, 09:25 AM   #3
jac67
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me
I know absolutely nothing about Pans, except that they used a Rolex movement a long time ago.

These things look very convincing. Just reinforces the thought to buy from an AD or else use these fora for expert opinions.

John.
jac67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 November 2007, 10:00 AM   #4
Mike734
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT II
Sort of begs the question, if a copy is an EXACT copy, why buy the original? I would like to see what the insides of that watch look like compared to the original.
Mike734 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 November 2007, 10:13 AM   #5
pol
"TRF" Member

Watch: YG Day-Date/SS Sub
I am not a Panerai guy but these pics look damn good! I could easily get taken for this. I wonder if any of the other guys (or gals) around here could eyeball these as fakes. Great pics.

pol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 November 2007, 10:14 AM   #6
mikey
"TRF" Member

Watch: Oysterdate 6694
You paid 60 and it looks increidble. The date Magnification is even perfect for that model.
mikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 November 2007, 10:26 AM   #7
SPACE-DWELLER
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, of course!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey View Post
You paid 60 and it looks increidble. The date Magnification is even perfect for that model.
Sorry, but I would have to disagree there, and also the date is off centre.

Besides that, really scary fake!

LocTite 221: The Taming Of The Screw...
SPACE-DWELLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 November 2007, 10:29 AM   #8
haakon59
"TRF" Member

Wow--that Panerai is a fake? It shows you how much these makers of replica watches have progressed doesn't it?

Years ago I bought a fake Rolex on Canal Street. They had a copy of every model in the Rolex catalog at that time. Regardless, after I got home I immersed it in a pool and it flooded! Why I thought it would be waterproof I have no idea. But it only cost me $10.00. So I only had my fake Rolex for a week or so. Oh well. One point though: although it looked real from a distance, if you were to look up close you could tell it was fake. Today's fakes are much better made and I think this makes it much easier for someone who is unethical to pass them off as real. When I bought mine it was presented as a fake of course so I wasn't fooled or ripped off or anything. I was with a group of guys from work and the next day all of us suddenly had Submariners! It was more laughable than anything else.

Regardless, I had great fun in NYC--I stayed mostly in Manhattan and it's an experience I still have good memories about.
haakon59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 November 2007, 10:54 AM   #9
Letsgodiving
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD 16600
I know very little about Panerai other than what I see on here but it looks very convincing to my untrained eye. The close-up of the lever of the crown guard looks like the interior part of the lever is roughly finished from the pic though.
Letsgodiving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 November 2007, 11:16 AM   #10
walds11
"TRF" Member

Easy to pick that out as a fake. Look at the "12." Looks cockeyed, among other things on that POS.
walds11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 November 2007, 11:28 AM   #11
Launch Mini
"TRF" Member

Watch: can I?
Looks pretty good, but not sure if they had "Panerai" on the rotor, nor did the put the date on the case back.
Also missing the production number, series & Production run on the caseback.
Font on date looks off too.
Matter of fact, the PAM90 has a solid caseback.
Akkkk

Member # 293
Launch Mini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 November 2007, 11:30 AM   #12
CoopJr
"TRF" Member

Watch: Subs
That IS scary...

And to think that the guy selling it to you at 60 was still making money!

To answer the question, why would anyone buy the real one? the quality of workmanship will most certainly be lacking in this as compared to the real one. I would venture to say that the band will be the first thing to go on it. The stitching will give way and then the band it self will separate.
CoopJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 November 2007, 11:33 AM   #13
Superlative

Watch: Z16610
wow that a pretty good fake!
Superlative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 November 2007, 02:48 PM   #14
DS/B MINI S
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD & Exp II
Not a bad investment...if it lasts long enough to decide if you want the real thing.

Old 14 November 2007, 04:37 PM   #15
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Watch: ALL SOLD!!
Amazing fakes.....the best I've ever seen.

Just goes to show how important it is to go straight to an AD and buy your stuff!!

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
JJ Irani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 November 2007, 01:52 AM   #16
ianmedium
Deregistered

Watch: Rolex Datejust
It looks amazing !
I know there have been a few comments on the details of the watch not matching up and a question on the quality regarding the lever but remember this was 60bucks, not thousands as the real thing is, also it is probably a chinese movement, probably the same that is used in millions of reliable timex's and so i bet there are no problems with accuracy, heck even if it is 2 or 3 seconds slower/faster than the real thing it is still incredible.
To me this thread is really important. It does not show how good the fakes are getting( a friend of mine has had a fake rollie, given to him years ago which he openly admits is fake, that keeps perfect time, nothing has dropped off or rusted).
It shows how fake the price of the genuine article is.
Let's face it most expensive watches are machine made with very little human input, I would love to see pictures of one of these Chinese factories put side by side with a swiss one, I bet there would be little difference!
I know there is the question of integrity, a valid one, but how much integritiy do the high end watch makers have in hiking the prices up so much..Just food for thought! Also this is a rolex forum and being so a lot of good folks here have forked out huge amounts of money on their pride and joy, they are going to defend it to the hilt because of that so there is bias,again understandable. If we were to ask the average joe in the steet to pay several thousands for the real version of this watch or 60 bucks for the fake they would probably take a couple of looks and plump for the fake!
ianmedium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 November 2007, 07:44 AM   #17
ohsixx
"TRF" Member

Watch: Make a guess!
Actually, I would not mind having one of those for $60.
"Speedy Pro"
ohsixx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 November 2007, 08:51 AM   #18
Teofilo

Watch: 14060M,16710 PEPSI
Do they do PAM 98's for 60 quid ??????????
Teofilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 November 2007, 06:41 AM   #19

Watch: Submariner Date SS
very impressive in the pics but how long will it last?

yes the Pam 90 has a solid back

also the bottom of the minute hand (centre of the watch) should have the same material (colour) as the rest of the hands and hour markers.

I dont think the date looks right either.

I would rather wear a Casio or swatch, I guess I would feel like I was fooling myself more than anyone.

you would never know when its going to give up!
996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 November 2007, 07:08 AM   #20
ianmedium
Deregistered

I would rather wear a Casio or swatch, I guess I would feel like I was fooling myself more than anyone.

you would never know when its going to give up![/QUOTE]

I understand your viewpoint completly though from what I have seen from friends who have similar the reliability thing is a bit of a red herring as most the movements in these things are chinese automatics and they are used in millions of brand name watches in china with absolute reliability, As i mentioned in an earilier post a friend has a fake rolex which was given to him, keeps perfect time after three years of constant use, he had it serviced recently by a watch repairer and the guy told him it was a good strong basic auto movement and should give him years of service with no problems!
For me the real question is not the fake but how much the mark up is on the real thing, I would love to know the basic cost of say a submariner to manufacture, anyone know?
Old 16 November 2007, 07:28 AM   #21

Watch: Submariner Date SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by ianmedium View Post
For me the real question is not the fake but how much the mark up is on the real thing, I would love to know the basic cost of say a submariner to manufacture, anyone know?
I have also thought about this, I think the mark up is massive when you take into account the cost of materials when bought in such a volume buy a company like Rolex but surely what you are paying for aside from quality, style, heritage and reliability is the years of investment into research and development put into manufacturing a quality timepiece.
996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 November 2007, 10:18 AM   #22
Speedygoomba

I would hope a swiss watch maker gets more per hour then a chinese sweat shop worker.

Thats a scary how well done it is.
Speedygoomba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 November 2007, 11:33 AM   #23
colemanitis
"TRF" Member

That fake ended up costing me a BUNCH of money. I liked it so much I had to get a real Panerai. My "J" PAM 164 will be here on Tuesday!
Member #471
Old 16 November 2007, 11:45 AM   #24
dr_rolex

Watch: Cartier + Rolex
Pam Who?

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemanitis View Post
That fake ended up costing me a BUNCH of money. I liked it so much I had to get a real Panerai. My "J" PAM 164 will be here on Tuesday!
My 2008 purchase will include a PAM. But after seeing these pics, how in the hell can you tell what is what (dont have a PAM AD here)??????

Colemanitis, how do you know you are buying the real thing?
dr_rolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 November 2007, 11:49 AM   #25
colemanitis
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_rolex View Post
My 2008 purchase will include a PAM. But after seeing these pics, how in the hell can you tell what is what (dont have a PAM AD here)??????

I'm getting it from PonyCar350, a very reputable seller.
Member #471
Old 16 November 2007, 02:59 PM   #26
ianmedium
Deregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedygoomba View Post
I would hope a swiss watch maker gets more per hour then a chinese sweat shop worker.

Thats a scary how well done it is.
I saw an article, not sure where,that said that a great many Swiss watch manufacturers outsource work to home workers and the pay is less than sweatshops in the far east. I am sure that the factories pay more but remember it is Switzerland, one of the most expensive countries in the world to live in so there minimum wage will be higher probably but it would be negated by the cost of living.
I try and avoid Chinese made products for the ethical reasons but it is so hard to do that nowadays as everything seems made there!
I know there is investment of the product to count but when you think that the date movement in a rolex is made in hundreds of thousands each year and is largely unchanged for years I would think they would re-coupe the cost of invesment pretty quickly. I think where a great deal of the expense can be seen is in product placement, celeb's sports stars etc!
Old 16 November 2007, 10:23 PM   #27
miner
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_rolex View Post

I also bought a fake first to try out before I got the real thing. Didn't have a Panerai dealer in Perth. Having done that, I then did some research on the models. The paneristi site (www.paneristi.com) is pretty good for that and they have a very active sales section. Lurk for a bit and you'll soon find out who's who. If you are going to buy from there then make sure you get references from the seller and check them out. You can also ask for references on the site. There are some great folk on that site and many took time to answer the daft questions that I asked about the brand and the models. They may all look the same but there are subtle differences!

I eventually ended up with two Pams, a box full of straps and a few mates in the US!

miner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 November 2007, 11:07 PM   #28
dr_rolex

Watch: Cartier + Rolex
Icon4

After I saw the pics posted by COLEMANITIS..........I can't believe how good the fakes look. I am now scared to even try to buy one where I live. Sheeeeeesh.
dr_rolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 November 2007, 08:52 AM   #29
mailman
TRF Moderator & SUBMARINER 2024 Patron

Watch: 126610LN
Quote:
Good for you Jeff I'm psyched for you

Quote:
I'm getting it from PonyCar350, a very reputable seller.
Old 17 November 2007, 10:37 AM   #30
morgman
"TRF" Member

Damn that's scary!
Would be hard pressed to think it was a fake without careful scrutiny & comparisons.

Hey..it's almost worth it to buy that watch just for the deployment clasp for a second strap which you could use on a real panny! Real deployment clasp I think is around $250!
morgman is offline   Reply With Quote