The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Classifieds > WatchOut!!!

Old 27 October 2012, 06:45 AM   #1
satbmt
"TRF" Member

Is this Tudor authentic?

Plz help, I just bought this took it apart and here are the photos, does this look genuine?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2012-10-26_13-57-08_183.jpg (104.1 KB, 343 views)
File Type: jpg 2012-10-26_14-00-53_894.jpg (182.4 KB, 346 views)
File Type: jpg 2012-10-26_14-01-53_713.jpg (159.3 KB, 341 views)
File Type: jpg 2012-10-26_14-03-24_940.jpg (220.1 KB, 344 views)
File Type: jpg 2012-10-26_14-04-06_406.jpg (258.0 KB, 352 views)
satbmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 October 2012, 07:09 AM   #2
drockadam
"TRF" Member

Watch: Pepsi.
Hmm, I'm not actually sure. I'll bump this up for experts to see.
Old 27 October 2012, 07:27 AM   #3
lebowski321

Watch: Rolex
Where's the bezel and cyclops? Shouldn't the seconds hand be orange?

I'm not sure, but if I had to guess I'd say it's a fake. Movement does not look correct based on other images I've seen on the web.
lebowski321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 October 2012, 07:30 AM   #4
satbmt
"TRF" Member

Thanks

it looks like the second hand moves(ticks) about 5 times per second. the crystal is acrylic, the knobs above and below the winding knob both work the second hand, It winds till it stops and you cannot wind any more. Bracelet feels chincy and has a tinny sound when shaken...The stamp inside the back is double stamped and the 11.70 doesnt look quite right when compared to my oyster perpetual that is about the same era. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 27 October 2012, 07:33 AM   #5
satbmt
"TRF" Member

Also Ive been looking at photos on google for the last 3 hours and there are a few that have this same look......

the knobs above and below the winding stem do not have the same "cut" at the winding stem, they are not as jagged, ive seen pics of both styles on google....
Old 27 October 2012, 07:35 AM   #6
lebowski321

Watch: Rolex
Yeah, I don't know. The experts will be here shortly to help you out.
lebowski321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 October 2012, 08:06 AM   #7
vintagewaferthin
"TRF" Member

Watch: Air-King 5500
Iam by no means a tudor expert, but something just doesnt look quite right with this watch.
vintagewaferthin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 October 2012, 08:13 AM   #8
satbmt
"TRF" Member

Hopefully its the pics, i took them with my phone
Old 27 October 2012, 09:05 AM   #9
goog53
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex-Patek-AP
I am no expert, but if you just take into account no patina on the hour markers and the chrono hand being wrong, this watch does not look right to me. Movement looks different compared to images I googled. Where did you buy this from and were you able to do some research beforehand?
goog53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 October 2012, 09:11 AM   #10
satbmt
"TRF" Member

I cleaned the hour markers with a qtip they were allot more yellowish
Old 27 October 2012, 09:12 AM   #11
satbmt
"TRF" Member

it from a Pawn shop, 800 is what i just gambled
Old 28 October 2012, 01:45 PM   #12
Brenngun
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex & Tudor
Quote:
Originally Posted by satbmt View Post
I cleaned the hour markers with a qtip they were allot more yellowish
Tell me you didn't really do this. If it turns out to be real you probably rubbed off about 3 to 5 grand worth of patina.

Quote:
it from a Pawn shop, 800 is what i just gambled
Again if real it was a great gamble. I've never seen one without an orange second hand so not sure what happened to this one. The picture of the dial is a little fuzzy but it appears to have some spotting on the grey area which would be very common. Normally fakes don't have this kind of detail however you need to get this looked at by an experienced watchmaker with strong vintage knowledge and for crying out loud stop rubbing anything off until you know for sure.
Brenngun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 October 2012, 01:45 PM   #13
satbmt
"TRF" Member

Old 28 October 2012, 01:52 PM   #14
satbmt
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brenngun View Post
Tell me you didn't really do this. If it turns out to be real you probably rubbed off about 3 to 5 grand worth of patina.

Again if real it was a great gamble. I've never seen one without an orange second hand so not sure what happened to this one. The picture of the dial is a little fuzzy but it appears to have some spotting on the grey area which would be very common. Normally fakes don't have this kind of detail however you need to get this looked at by an experienced watchmaker with strong vintage knowledge and for crying out loud stop rubbing anything off until you know for sure.

Ya big ooooops on rubbing off the platina, I was checking this under a scope and missed a few spots...so theres still a little left. I just put up more pics taken with macro on my camera and I think they are a little better.

A few things i've noticed

1. Stainless Steel engraving between the lugs is not perfect by any means, the serial and model engravings look clear and crisp. btw I found a pic of the same watch with a seriel # that is 12 numbers less and the engravings looked almost exactly the same....flaws and all.
2. I see a few for sale when googling the
Old 28 October 2012, 01:55 PM   #15
Brenngun

Watch: Rolex & Tudor
There's more about that dial that says real instead of fake. Please tell me the missing tritium on the plots is not because you rubbed off the yellowish color.
Brenngun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 October 2012, 02:12 PM   #16
harry in montreal
"TRF" Member

Watch: The Habs pick 1st!
Doesnt that dial suppose to have a distinct grain to the grey paint? Inwould have popped the 800 for this piece. Hells, I'd go 825 right now
harry in montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 October 2012, 02:14 PM   #17
satbmt
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Thanks for the responces so far here is some of the info i've found around the web and a few things i've noticed.

Ya big ooooops on rubbing off the platina, I was checking this under a scope and missed a few spots...so theres still a little left. <-----thats supposed to be humor

I just put up more pics taken with macro on my camera and I think they are a little better.

A few things i've noticed

"Stainless Steel" engraving between the lugs is not perfect by any means, the serial and model # engravings look clear and crisp. btw I found a pic of the same watch with a seriel # that is 12 numbers less and the engravings looked almost exactly the same....flaws and all.

When taking the back off my watch the gasket comes off with the caseback(it doesnt stay with the body of the watch) is this right?

Bracelet looks like genuine ones i've come across online...but it feels a bit "chincy" and makes clangy sounds when shaken around.

looking at countless pics on google it's hard to say what is genuine and what is not....here are some sites i've book marked that seem applicable.

this looks like the same watch with the same knobs as mine HERE

From what I can tell my movement is definately the 7734, from all the google photos the 2 options are the 3133 or 7734 look at the differences here

7032 with the same movement here

Another one within a hundred or so serial nbr here

one up for sale here

Another photo with one with the same knobs above and below the winder here

Another for sale with same knobs here

Here is one that says it was sold, this website looks to have repro's and the real deals there....maybe someone can help with reputation of this site here
Old 28 October 2012, 02:19 PM   #18
satbmt
"TRF" Member

Quote:
There's more about that dial that says real instead of fake. Please tell me the missing tritium on the plots is not because you rubbed off the yellowish color.
Do you mean on the home plates that have what looks like cracks.....if yes then yes this is the platina I wiped off, it was heavy yellow

I scrubbed each home plate marker and lightly hit the minute and hour hands, I only hit the face just barely beyone the home plate markers but not in the middle or anywhere else.
Old 28 October 2012, 02:35 PM   #19
satbmt
"TRF" Member

this looks like a service mark in the back of the case

Old 28 October 2012, 02:43 PM   #20
satbmt
"TRF" Member

There are 2 pics under my stereoscope, the last which show a service mark maybe H3525, and the other is the poor quality engraving inside the case back, see under the GENEVA you can make out like a lighter double just below.
Old 28 October 2012, 05:12 PM   #21
1675-David
"TRF" Member

Well done!! Now, just step away from the q-tips...
1675-David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 October 2012, 05:26 PM   #22
joe100

Watch: Explorer
Please stop messing with it!
Old 28 October 2012, 10:49 PM   #23
Lgear080
Banned

I'd still like to understand why you cleaned it at all.
Lgear080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 October 2012, 11:55 PM   #24
satbmt
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lgear080 View Post
I'd still like to understand why you cleaned it at all.
inexperience, no one has ever said I was the sharpest knife in the drawer, Is the oveall concensus here that it is authentic?
Old 29 October 2012, 12:12 AM   #25
DrLindaPhD
"TRF" Member

Watch: Boys Tudor Sub
I think you made a great purchase and investment. While you probably should not have cleaned it, some people want a "cleaner" looking dial and someone would buy it if you decide to flip it because it is really an amazing Tudor. If you are going to keep it for yourself then who cares if you cleaned it because it makes it look "cleaner" but if you are going to flip it then you will definitely get your money back, probably make a little profit, but should disclose that you cleaned the dial but that it appears to be the original dial.

I buy vintage ladies watches and I want a clean looking crisp dial. I have adopted the policy of "don't ask, don't tell" regarding the dial. I don't ask them if it is refurbished and I don't want them to tell me. I just want to enjoy it looking like new. so, it's personal preference.

I think that based on all the photos you have posted and your extensive research you have redeemed your q-tip booboo and have documented that this is authentic and was a terrific investment.

If you are going to keep it in your collection you could have Bob Ridley look at it and fix anything you want fixed or you could just wear it like it is which is what I would do.

By the way, I would have cleaned it too because that would have bugged me but now that I know you can lose a lot of value by cleaning the dial I won't do it.

Lesson learned.
DrLindaPhD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 October 2012, 12:31 AM   #26
satbmt
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrLindaPhD View Post
I think you made a great purchase and investment. While you probably should not have cleaned it, some people want a "cleaner" looking dial and someone would buy it if you decide to flip it because it is really an amazing Tudor. If you are going to keep it for yourself then who cares if you cleaned it because it makes it look "cleaner" but if you are going to flip it then you will definitely get your money back, probably make a little profit, but should disclose that you cleaned the dial but that it appears to be the original dial.

I buy vintage ladies watches and I want a clean looking crisp dial. I have adopted the policy of "don't ask, don't tell" regarding the dial. I don't ask them if it is refurbished and I don't want them to tell me. I just want to enjoy it looking like new. so, it's personal preference.

I think that based on all the photos you have posted and your extensive research you have redeemed your q-tip booboo and have documented that this is authentic and was a terrific investment.

If you are going to keep it in your collection you could have Bob Ridley look at it and fix anything you want fixed or you could just wear it like it is which is what I would do.

By the way, I would have cleaned it too because that would have bugged me but now that I know you can lose a lot of value by cleaning the dial I won't do it.

Lesson learned.

Thanks, I will definatley disclose if I go to sell.

What about having the casing buffed, new bezel, and new crystal put on.....should I expect a further devaluation?
Old 29 October 2012, 12:46 AM   #27
Lgear080
Banned

Ive not seen enough movement pics to compare, though
Your fonts seem correct and other markers look good.
Lgear080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 October 2012, 12:53 AM   #28
Mickey®
Banned

Watch: Swiss Made
Quote:
inexperience, no one has ever said I was the sharpest knife in the drawer, Is the oveall concensus here that it is authentic?
Inexperience!? You took the watch apart! I've never done that!!!
Mickey® is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 October 2012, 01:07 AM   #29
satbmt
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickey® View Post
Inexperience!? You took the watch apart! I've never done that!!!
Its funny im having a hard time not taking it apart further to see the back of the dial, I don't know how to get that far apart though.....will take in to watch maker tomorrow and let them check it out.
Old 29 October 2012, 01:08 AM   #30
Mickey®
Banned

Watch: Swiss Made
Quote:
Its funny im having a hard time not taking it apart further to see the back of the dial, I don't know how to get that far apart though.....will take in to watch maker tomorrow and let them check it out.
Mickey® is offline   Reply With Quote