The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 2 July 2013, 12:12 PM   #1
highcotton
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1972 Red Sub
Opinion of this Tudor 7928

Had a deal fall through on a Tudor 7928 and had my heart set on it. So naturally I jumped on the next one I came across. It is in pretty dirty condition but for what it is and has been through I think it looks ok. It has a 434xxx serial number. Case back is marked III 64. I talked to the seller today and he told me that he purchased the watch in 1966 while stationed in Pearl Harbor on board the USS Safeguard ARS-25. (He purchased it at the Naval Exchange). This ship was primarily a rescue and salvage ship. He was one of several certified divers on board. The watch was also worn in Vietnam until 1968 and continually worn until the late 70's when it was retired to a drawer. So you can understand the battle scars. He said the watch had never been serviced.

I took a few pictures but could not get the lighting right. So what are the experts opinions.

highcotton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 July 2013, 12:54 PM   #2
John in MA
"TRF" Member

NIce looking old sub.

I'd be concerned that the movement has not been service due to it being an FEF390. If something broken, hard to find parts to fix.

Does it run?

How To: Remove a Tudor Pelagos Endlink in 60 Seconds or Less
John in MA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 July 2013, 01:19 PM   #3
linesiders
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Watch: U Talkn Bout Wilis
The movement is tough to service - like John says but it is a beautiful piece with some mil-provenance - would like some better pics but nice & honest 7928 - sweep hand looks replaced.

A little polywatch and cleaning (though no diving anymore)
Old 2 July 2013, 04:07 PM   #4
John in MA
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by linesiders View Post
The movement is tough to service - like John says but it is a beautiful piece with some mil-provenance - would like some better pics but nice & honest 7928 - sweep hand looks replaced.

A little polywatch and cleaning (though no diving anymore)
I think that the sweep second might be original.

How To: Remove a Tudor Pelagos Endlink in 60 Seconds or Less
John in MA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 July 2013, 11:59 PM   #5
Frogman4me
Banned

Looks great! Curious on the price? But you don't have to disclose if not comfortable.
Frogman4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 July 2013, 12:47 AM   #6
highcotton
"TRF" Member

$4400. Only because I really wanted an underline dial.
Old 3 July 2013, 01:08 AM   #7
Frogman4me
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by highcotton View Post
$4400. Only because I really wanted an underline dial.
Thanks for letting us know. I love the underline as well, they are rare only seen on 63-64' models.
Frogman4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 July 2013, 01:20 AM   #8
007Sub
"TRF" Member

Watch: Milsub
Looks great! Super clean. How are the numbers between the lugs? I think the hands look original also. Great provenience! Nice find!

@true_patina
@true.dome
007Sub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 July 2013, 02:01 AM   #9
highcotton
"TRF" Member

The numbers are clearly visible. I will try to post some shots later.
Old 3 July 2013, 02:21 AM   #10
lhanddds
Banned

Watch: of course
I like it as well as the history
lhanddds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 July 2013, 04:52 AM   #11
highcotton
"TRF" Member

After looking at the inside of the caseback I noticed a very faint engraving that was made by hand. Appears to be L238886. Anyone have any ideas what this may be? I have received a watch from Rolex with the serial number of the watch hand engraved on the inside of the clasp. I guess so the band gets matched back up with the right watch. But this number does not coincide with the date stamp on the caseback which is III 64. Cannot get a good picture of it.

Also the guy I bought it from is going to send me some shots of him wearing the watch onboard the ship. Also of him in his dive suit. Thought that would be pretty neat to keep with the watch.
Old 3 July 2013, 10:59 AM   #12
drainaps
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many to tell
Nice one. Service is the only issue with these 7928s. A pity though. I have one, and wear it sparsely.
drainaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 July 2013, 11:36 AM   #13
damo_t
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16800, 94110
A really great example. Good luck!
damo_t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 July 2013, 03:47 PM   #14
007Sub
"TRF" Member

Watch: Milsub
Quote:
After looking at the inside of the caseback I noticed a very faint engraving that was made by hand. Appears to be L238886. Anyone have any ideas what this may be? I have received a watch from Rolex with the serial number of the watch hand engraved on the inside of the clasp. I guess so the band gets matched back up with the right watch. But this number does not coincide with the date stamp on the caseback which is III 64. Cannot get a good picture of it.

Also the guy I bought it from is going to send me some shots of him wearing the watch onboard the ship. Also of him in his dive suit. Thought that would be pretty neat to keep with the watch.
Very cool regarding the photos. Not sure about that number... Curious indeed. Keep us posted on what you find with those regards. Perhaps a military issue thing? He said its never been serviced right?

@true_patina
@true.dome
007Sub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 September 2013, 09:41 AM   #15
highcotton
"TRF" Member

I finally got the watch back a few days ago. There was a gear that had two teeth missing. My watchmaker actually had one in stock. He told me that the lume flaked off of the 5 hour mark when he removed the dial. Don't really know what to say about that. I guess stuff like that happens. I ended up keeping the original crystal. The watch gains 4 seconds per 24 hrs.
What do you guys think?

Old 2 September 2013, 10:06 AM   #16
Tudor66
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT- Pepsi
Very nice watch you there. I had the same/similar watch for a while, hence my username Tudor66...

One thing I did noticed about the picture of the movement is that the oscillating rotor doesn't have the original clip that holds the rotor in place. This clip caused problems for my watch, as the rotor kept coming off. It looks like the one you have is holding it on fine, but I just wanted to give you that information.. .

Al
Old 2 September 2013, 10:40 AM   #17
linesiders
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Watch: U Talkn Bout Wilis
Quote:
I finally got the watch back a few days ago. There was a gear that had two teeth missing. My watchmaker actually had one in stock. He told me that the lume flaked off of the 5 hour mark when he removed the dial. Don't really know what to say about that. I guess stuff like that happens. I ended up keeping the original crystal. The watch gains 4 seconds per 24 hrs.
What do you guys think?
Looks great - tough luck on the 5 marker but it is a 50 year old piece. But it looks great

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tudor66 View Post
Very nice watch you there. I had the same/similar watch for a while, hence my username Tudor66...

One thing I did noticed about the picture of the movement is that the oscillating rotor doesn't have the original clip that holds the rotor in place. This clip caused problems for my watch, as the rotor kept coming off. It looks like the one you have is holding it on fine, but I just wanted to give you that information.. .

Al
Yes, the GIB (Does not stand for Guy In Back). They use a couple on that movement - looks like this:

Old 2 September 2013, 11:07 AM   #18
highcotton
"TRF" Member

What number is the GIB in this diagram? Did they use different styles in different years?