The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Breitling Discussion Forum

Old 22 November 2013, 02:38 AM   #1
HRC-E.B.
"TRF" Member

Non-Rolex Watch Trade Question

Seeking the advice of knowledgeable WIS, and thought I might get more brand neutral advice by asking this here as opposed to a Breitling or Omega forum.

There are two watches that I intend to get in the near future: a Rolex Explorer II or GMTIIc (not sure which of the two, as I love both and see pros and cons to both) and the new PO GMT (because I like POs and find the 43.5 mm watch is the best size available, and looks great with the darker bezel).

On the other hand, since I'll be getting a Rolex 4-hander, a GMT PO may be overkill. Which takes me to today: I am selling a mint 1-year old Breitling Chronomat 44, with full set and warranty, to fund these watch purchases.

I am offered a straight trade for a LNIB, never-worn Omega Planet Ocean 42 mm.

I am seeking your advice as to the values of the watches in that trade. MSRP on the Breitling (with in-house B01 movement) is $8960. To my knowledge, it's difficult to get a warrantied/full set in-house Breitling for much less than 25% discount. (Grey watches sell for less.) I don't think it can be bought new with full papers and warranty for much less than 6720. On the other hand, it does not appear to sell easily on the used market for more than $4100, notwithstanding the fact that it is a lot of watch for the money, with in-house column wheel and vertical clutch chrnono movement, etc.

The Omega has a retail price of $6200 and can be sourced for a 25% discount, meaning I could get one brand new for $4650. People post LNIB samples for about $4200. Not sure how much they end up selling for.

Assuming both watches are in 95%+ condition, from a value standpoint, would you say a straight trade of one for the other is fair, or would you think that additional compensation one way or the other would be in order?

Thanks for your thoughts.
HRC-E.B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2013, 05:51 AM   #2
69mach351
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116900
To keep it fairly short, I would do what makes you happy and what you will wear the most. Breitling is horrid at holding value and Omega isn't good, so looking at it from that standpoint, IMO, is trying to make the least bad decision. Your call though. Personally, I would keep the Breitling.
69mach351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 November 2013, 08:22 AM   #3
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Me too, the B01 44 is a fantastic watch, I wouldn't trade it for an Omega. And I would save for the GMT2c.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote