The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 23 April 2014, 11:34 AM   #1
chloebear
Banned

Watch: Explorer
Explorer Questions

I was thinking pretty hard about getting an Explorer II, but lately it seems like the 39 mm Explorer I is calling my name. Two questions.....

1. I see very few Explorer I's for sale on the forum. Is that because Rolex doesn't sell a lot of them? Or is it that people don't part with them?

2. Seems like the few that are for sale don't seem to be much cheaper than buying a new one. Does the Explorer I have particularly good resale or is it just because it's a relatively new design (the move from 36 to 39 mm)?

Thank you all!

Mike
chloebear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 April 2014, 12:14 PM   #2
nyyankees
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1216610
I don't know. I would suspect less people buy them and that when they are available on the secondary market it is because someone has moved on to a watch with a date- just guessing though. I think secondary prices are pretty decent on this forum. I just picked one up last week and the price was competitive. You don't see many in the wild- mostly I see Sub Dates, and Datejusts. Nice to have something different.
nyyankees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 April 2014, 12:22 PM   #3
77T
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

As a simple no-nonsense Rolex, you won't go wrong with the Expl.I - either the 36mm or 39mm version.

You'll see vintage versions and new ones all around - just not as many as the Expl.II - and pre-owned prices are usually well below the new MSRP of $6550...

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23 April 2014, 12:46 PM   #4
bcy2290
"TRF" Member

Watch: TT Daytona
I have loved my new 42 mm Explorer II White face I was very confused on the 39 vs 42 and I am so happy I bought the 42mm you cannot go wrong with either size Have fun choosing
bcy2290 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 April 2014, 04:23 PM   #5
jshepard
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMTII
I'm sure it's because they aren't as common as Subs and DJs. I personally would never sell mine. It's nice to have something you don't see all the time. Out in the wild, I've seen mostly DJs, Daytonas and Subs. I've actually never seen an explorer II and mine is the only explorer I I've seen out there. So I don't know why there seems to be more explorer II's in the classifieds. Both are uncommon models, if you need the date definitely explorer II, so really think hard if you can go without the date feature. If you can then the Explorer I is a great looking versatile watch.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
jshepard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 April 2014, 04:30 PM   #6
FiftyTwoEighty
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: me live @the Beach
I have both the Explorers and couldn't be happier. I love that neither are rarely seen in the wild.

I just love the simplicity and symmetry of the Explorer.

Some 4 digits, 5 digits, and 6 digits

2FA
FiftyTwoEighty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 April 2014, 05:38 PM   #7
lightcatcher
"TRF" Member

if you like clean, simple, uncluttered dials, an extremely comfortable bracelet on a well proportioned watch, which has a certain timeless design feel to it, get the 39 mm Explorer 1.. you won't be disappointed..

I just got myself one last week and it sure is a beauty.
lightcatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 April 2014, 06:08 PM   #8
Old Expat Beast
TRF Moderator & 2024 SUBMARINER Patron

Watch: SEIKO TUNA
36mm every time for me. Better proportions, better value...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (65.3 KB, 453 views)
Old Expat Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 April 2014, 06:10 PM   #9
Mick P
Banned

Watch: 39mm Explorer
Chloebear

I bought a new 39mm Explorer early in the year and have never regretted it.

I wanted a good quality watch and that attracted me to Rolex, but at the same time I did not want a watch that screamed Rolex. I went into the local AD and the chap behind the counter wore a 20 year old 36mm Explorer which was precisely what I wanted.

He came out with a new 39mm version which was slightly larger but it also looked better than the 36mm version and the 3 roman numerals were in white gold whereas his older watch had painted ones. Also the new bracelet was miles better in terms of quality. Without any shadow of doubt, the 39mm version is the better watch.

I bought it at a good discount and like you say, the difference in price between a new one and a pre owned is small, so you may as well go for new.

The Explorer really is the ultimate Rolex for wearing every day. It looks discrete, it can be worn with either a dinner jacket or Jeans and a T shirt, you can swim in it knowing it is waterproof, it is as tough as old boots and really you don't need another watch.

As regards to not seeing other Explorers being worn by other people, the chances are that you have seen one, but never noticed it because they are very low key and that is why I like to wear it.

If you travel a lot, then go for an Explorer2, but the Explorer1 is the true gentlemens watch, it is just practical, not vulgar and something your children will inherit with pride.

Just go for it.

Regards

Mick
Mick P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 April 2014, 10:07 PM   #10
GradyPhilpott
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 116710 BLNR

Inaugural TRF $50 Watch Challenge Winner
GradyPhilpott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 April 2014, 09:47 AM   #11
bgbg13
"TRF" Member

1. I think it is probably both. Not many are sold and the ones that buy them do not get rid of them. For the $ it's hard to beat it.

2. ties in with #1 I think. the 39 is relatively new and because not many people flip it your left with a lot of NIB or LNIB which will keep it close to msrp.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk
bgbg13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 April 2014, 11:19 AM   #12
sea-dweller
"TRF" Member

Love my 36mm Explorer 1, very underrated!

sea-dweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 May 2014, 02:18 PM   #13
chloebear
Banned

Watch: Explorer
Thanks Mick! Great comments. One of the best posts I've seen on the forum. When I get mine I will refer to it as the gentlemen's watch.
chloebear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 May 2014, 02:26 PM   #14
rustyduck
"TRF" Member

I love the history of the Explorer I and also of the Air King with the 3,6,9 dials and the smooth bezels. I find them more classy and at the same time understated than the Explorer II. No need for a date. no need for a cyclops. The watch on your wrist will remind you daily of the history of that style watch.
rustyduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 May 2014, 02:32 PM   #15
Pete26
Banned

It's classy and understated. A fantastic watch by Rolex and I like to consider myself a gentleman

Pete
Pete26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 May 2014, 02:34 PM   #16
kjp1
Banned

Watch: 1680 Sub
The Explorer 39mm is a wonderful watch.
1. I would beg to differ about availability. I regularly see 2-3 on the sales forum.
2. They are actually a good value. Given that the retail is around $6,550 and you can pick- up a clean example on the sales forum for $4,800-$5,100, I'd say there is a substantial difference in price between pre-loved and new.
kjp1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 May 2014, 03:12 PM   #17
Old Expat Beast
TRF Moderator & 2024 SUBMARINER Patron

Watch: SEIKO TUNA
There's an interesting video comparison/review of the Explorer 36 and 39, and one of Grady's photos, here. http://www.theprodigalguide.com/2010...olex-explorer/
Old Expat Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 May 2014, 03:15 PM   #18
mruhland31
"TRF" Member

I have the 36 and love it. Great watch. Can't go wrong in either size
mruhland31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 May 2014, 06:31 PM   #19
Mick P
Banned

Watch: 39mm Explorer
Chaps

I think more than ever, you have to compare watches on your wrist before taking the plunge. I started out wanting the 36mm watch but when I saw the 39mm model, I was hooked.

I am retired and live in the UK for 7 months and in Spain for 5. I later decided that I should like to pass a Rolex onto each of my 3 sons when I expire and I would buy a second watch to wear in Spain and then buy a third Rolex to complete the cycle.

I went into an AD last week to look at buying a new GMT but actually ended up buying a 2003 Sub which had been lying unused as a safe Queen by the first owner.

The Sub is absolutely pristine and will have a full service in July as part of the deal. I have been wearing it for a few days and despite not being used for 11 years, it is keeping perfect time. It really is a beautiful watch.

However it is still the Explorer1 that has truly captured my heart and the chances are that the Sub and the third watch (when I get it) will hardly be used.

To my mind, the Explorer is the definitive Rolex and I just want to wear it all the time.

Regards

Mick
Mick P is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
explorer 1