The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 14 May 2014, 06:40 AM   #1
citydweller
"TRF" Member

Bezel fading

Hi everyone,

As any vintage Rolex enthusiast knows, when a vintage sub or gmt's bezel insert has faded it can be one of the nicest features of the watch. I have a five year old 14060m and was wondering if I will ever experience such a thing?

I do not really understand what sorts of conditions these vintage bezels have been through for them to look such a way and thought someone could enlighten me!

In my opinion, the introduction of the ceramic bezel - for all its practical capabilities (which these days will in most cases never be put to the test!) - has basically put an end to what I think is a very cool looking problem.

TIA,
Percy
citydweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2014, 06:43 AM   #2
MP5
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Well, the new and service bezels seem to be a bit more glossy and it seems the clear coat on the older bezels has degraded on the faded ones. At least the ones I have had. If that's through uv exposure or abrasion or chemicals I don't know, it could be as simple as Rolex using better clear coats preventing any fading or al oxidation.
MP5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2014, 04:32 PM   #3
Old Expat Beast
TRF Moderator & 2024 SUBMARINER Patron

Watch: SEIKO TUNA
It can take a very long time, Percy. I have a 5513 with original insert that seems not to have faded at all, yet the red on my 2000 GMT Master II is faded to pink.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (103.5 KB, 796 views)
Old Expat Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2014, 12:10 AM   #4
azguy
Banned

Watch: ---------
I tried fading a bezel last summer and left it in the blistering Arizona sun for 4 months and could not detect any fade at all after that period of time in the sun...
azguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2014, 12:49 AM   #5
Clay
Banned

Most "bezel fading" is do to expose to chemicals…Chlorine, Bleach, etc...
Or so I have been told…???
Clay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2014, 03:31 AM   #6
swish77
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing the time!
The colored bezels fade faster than the black. Here's the red fading on a '99 GMT, although I realize that it's 15 years ago, which my brain has troubling accepting!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg GMT-NEW-TRF.jpg (271.1 KB, 740 views)
swish77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2014, 04:19 AM   #7
Loevhagen
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay View Post
Most "bezel fading" is do to expose to chemicals…Chlorine, Bleach, etc...
Or so I have been told…???
Agree. I have faded two bezel (non Rolex) that way by using Chlorine for 2-3 min.

Loevhagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2014, 07:28 AM   #8
charles22
"TRF" Member

A black bezel is not going to fade for many, many years - and if you keep it in a drawer then never is more likely. My 14060M is 14 years old and the insert is like new.

The common thing is the pepsi or coke GMT red fading. Red fades...red cars, red roofs, red plastic, red everything. Don't ask me why, but there is a proper scientific explanation for it. Something to do with wavelengths and energy absorption. Google it :-)
charles22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2014, 06:27 PM   #9
Loevhagen
"TRF" Member

Based on internet / forums "myths" the following is said:

a) the yellow creamy patina on dials / indices are mostly due to the watch stored in a dark place over time
b) the bezel insert fades while / due to exposed to sunlight

The paradox is that a) and b) are mutually exclusive. I guess the myths are partly busted - or that some of the more extreme patina watches have had some help along the patina highway.
Loevhagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2014, 07:41 PM   #10
Blackdog
"TRF" Member

I have a '04 Seamaster blue bezel that has faded significantly, while a '92 Sub bezel has faded only slightly. Both have been used by my wife and myself for summer activities/diving and have been exposed to sun and sea water more or less equally, but not much swimming pool chlorine water.

I think that colours are more sensitive to UV and black is more sensitive to chemicals.
Blackdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 May 2014, 01:53 AM   #11
swish77
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing the time!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loevhagen View Post
Based on internet / forums "myths" the following is said:

a) the yellow creamy patina on dials / indices are mostly due to the watch stored in a dark place over time
b) the bezel insert fades while / due to exposed to sunlight

The paradox is that a) and b) are mutually exclusive. I guess the myths are partly busted - or that some of the more extreme patina watches have had some help along the patina highway.
Perhaps, but if your bezel insert fades from exposure to the sun, and THEN you store the watch away in a drawer for several years you will get tritium patina on the dial/hands. Therefore, a faded bezel and heavy dial/hands patina can exist naturally together on an all-original watch, because the color will never return to the insert, of course, no matter how long the watch is stored in a dark place.
swish77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 May 2014, 11:29 PM   #12
citydweller
"TRF" Member

Thanks all, fascinating. I am just in love with the 5512s and 3s with creamy patina and a greyish/blueish insert, so I was just thinking maybe someone in 50 years will be thinking the same thing but with the 14060s in mind. I think the 5512s will be fetching 6538/5508/5510 money and be in serious private collections by then!
citydweller is offline   Reply With Quote