The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 15 May 2014, 04:37 AM   #1
GsurgBM
"TRF" Member

Watch: Not enough
Sending to RSC questions

I've never sent a watch to the RSC, as I have a local watchmaker/AD who usually does my work. Have been thinking about sending my 2003ish 16610LV to the RSC in Dallas for a service and light polish. To my knowledge it has never been serviced. It runs fine, probably 3 to 4 seconds slow/day, but it is now 11 years old and I want to keep it running that way. It is in excellent shape, but could probably stand a light polish on the mirrored surfaces and a light brushing of the bracelet. I am not aware of it having ever been pressure tested since purchase.

So my questions are:
1. After searching, I haven't been able to find the actual process for sending a watch to the RSC. How do I logistically do that? What mail carrier, etc? Do I need to insure the mail carrier if the watch is already insured separately by me?
2. Do I need to put the watch in any type of particular container to send it, or just a padded envelope?
3. I can Google the address for the Dallas RSC, but is there any particular department or other specifying information I should include with the address?
4. Anybody have any idea of approximate price for service, pressure testing, and polish for this model?
5. From what I've read, it sounds like they will contact me before proceeding with any work?
6. I have a very small Nick in the sapphire crystal at around 8 o'clock, not noticeable unless you know it's there. I probably would not replace it if it is too expensive, but if it is relatively inexpensive I might.

Any other information I need to know is very appreciated. Sorry this seems like a very basic thread for those who have done this a lot, but I just never had occasion to do this and want to make sure I do it correctly.
Old 15 May 2014, 04:42 AM   #2
GsurgBM
"TRF" Member

A couple of pics
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (168.8 KB, 135 views)
Old 15 May 2014, 04:44 AM   #3
GsurgBM
"TRF" Member

Crystal nick
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (47.9 KB, 134 views)
Old 15 May 2014, 05:03 AM   #4
Clay
Banned

Call Rolex of Dallas…They will answer all of your questions…

214-871-0500
Clay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2014, 05:48 AM   #5
Vlad
"TRF" Member

Clay is right. Just call RSC.

But to give you some answers, ship it REGISTERED mail via USPS. Insure as you wish. Never put the word "ROLEX" on the package, just "RSC". They will provide an estimate, then you choose to do it or not to do it. As far as price, assume COA for your sub will be around $1000. I don't remember what they charge for sapphire crystals, but I would guess around $100 (again, it's been a while since I needed Rolex to do that for me). Assume few months before you'll get your watch back. Also, I believe they started to charge for rejected estimates - check with them. Don't expect any used parts to be returned to you.
Vlad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2014, 06:37 AM   #6
Beef
"TRF" Member

Agree with Clay and Vlad. I sent a 5513 to them about 6 months ago. They now ask that you put RUSA on it. The most important take home point is that you can only use brown paper adhesive tape ( the kind that you have to wet the back) to seal the package. You have to completely cover the outside of the box. No plastic or duct tape or it will be returned unopened. As stated above, they will explain this to you, but people still do it incorrectly.

They only accept registered mail (USPS.) IIRC, Registered Mail only costs about $30, but covers the entire value of the contents. With stipulations. You have to have a purchase receipt and proof of item.

Good luck!
Old 15 May 2014, 09:12 AM   #7
SMD
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP/PP
There is an extensive, very detailed thread by Kilyung that is basically a treatise on how to send a watch to rsc.
SMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2014, 09:43 AM   #8
Beef
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMD View Post
There is an extensive, very detailed thread my Kilyung that is basically a treatise on how to send a watch to rsc.
And you're right, it basically requires a treatise!
Old 15 May 2014, 02:33 PM   #9
Dr DRW
"TRF" Member

Watch: Divers
I've had my 2 16600s my 16610 and my older date just done there. I live in Dallas so I carry in so don't know about shipping. My 16600 is there now. They will charge $600 for the service no doubt they will want to change crown at $50. Your watch looks pretty good don't think it will require much else, crystal change ann option if chipped but not required unless effects integrity of watch. I dont think there is such things as a light polish, it will come back looking new if you have polished unless deep divots in it. You can ask the vintage experts about the wisdom of a polish , but it seems to me from looking at ads that unpolished may be worth a premium if you sell later, on my v series 16600 I asked not to polish. The polish is no charge with the 600 service
Dr DRW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2014, 02:35 PM   #10
Dr DRW
"TRF" Member

Watch: Divers
The turnover has always been 5-6 weeks for me but no shipping time
Dr DRW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2014, 02:43 PM   #11
77T
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

If you're close to an AD, maybe let them handle the whole thing with the RSC...

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2014, 05:57 PM   #12
ahafs1
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek Aquanaut
Quote:
Originally Posted by 77T View Post
If you're close to an AD, maybe let them handle the whole thing with the RSC...
x2. That is what I did
ahafs1 is offline   Reply With Quote