The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 16 May 2014, 07:26 AM   #1
maseman1
"TRF" Member

Vintage Problems - Winding a 1601

Happy Thursday All!

I have been neglecting my 1601 ('77), as it hasn't been getting much wrist time in the recent months. The other day I went to manually wind it and turning the crown seems much more "stiff." I've had it serviced a handful of times by the same non-Rolex SC (but Rolex Trained) over the past 15yrs, with the last time being this past October (2013). His services are always spot-on when looking at accuracy and functionality. I was wondering if this is normal for this old thing, or if it needs to be serviced again... I keep it on a winder when not on, and it is keeping time... Also, should I bring it in to have it serviced? (looking at it from a "if it ain't broke don't fix it stand point...)? The watch has more sentimental value than actual... I called to see how much it would cost to be serviced and they quoted me $600+ (USD)...that's almost 30% of its actual value...Thoughts?
maseman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 May 2014, 07:31 AM   #2
crowncollection
"TRF" Member

it should not need a service if serviced in 2013, i would not worry it runs on time and does wind, give a few more manual winds it may loosen up
Old 16 May 2014, 11:56 AM   #3
maseman1
"TRF" Member

Thanks, crowncollection. I was planning on doing so- I just didn't know if i could "hurt" the watch by doing so... Thanks again for your input.
Old 16 May 2014, 01:51 PM   #4
77T
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Mine did same thing right after service. I had a new mainspring put in and it can be normal.

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16 May 2014, 02:35 PM   #5
R.W.T.
"TRF" Member

Okay check this. Is it also stiff ratcheting backwards? If it is it is because your gaskets are new and if you will put a touch of clear silicone grease on the portion of the crown that goes inside the tube...it will free up that much of it.

The stiffness in the winding of a 10xx,15xx movement is rarely indicative of mainspring...but rather issues in the reversing wheels. In the 10xx series it is lack of lubrication, gummy old lubrication, or wear. In the 15xx series...it's wear.

Lubricate the tube gasket as I mentioned above. If that does NOT loosen it up have it looked at. If the reversers are binding from wear you will lunch your crown gear and that is an expensive part relatively, and without an account a big issue. On a 1030...it's a 225.00 part USED. Don't force it.
R.W.T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 May 2014, 09:33 PM   #6
maseman1
"TRF" Member

I'm going to bring it in this weekend. I will keep you all posted- Thanks!!
Old 16 May 2014, 11:23 PM   #7
maseman1
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.W.T. View Post
Okay check this. Is it also stiff ratcheting backwards? If it is it is because your gaskets are new and if you will put a touch of clear silicone grease on the portion of the crown that goes inside the tube...it will free up that much of it.

The stiffness in the winding of a 10xx,15xx movement is rarely indicative of mainspring...but rather issues in the reversing wheels. In the 10xx series it is lack of lubrication, gummy old lubrication, or wear. In the 15xx series...it's wear.

Lubricate the tube gasket as I mentioned above. If that does NOT loosen it up have it looked at. If the reversers are binding from wear you will lunch your crown gear and that is an expensive part relatively, and without an account a big issue. On a 1030...it's a 225.00 part USED. Don't force it.

It ratchets backwards smoothly... I may try the lub anyways... thanks!
Old 17 May 2014, 12:59 AM   #8
maseman1
"TRF" Member

R.W.T- it ratches backwards smoothly... I may try the lube anyways...
Old 17 May 2014, 01:24 AM   #9
Vincent65
"TRF" Member

Stiffness in a 15XX movement, (or any other, I'd imagine) can also be due to the wrong lubricant having been used. It may be too viscous/stiff, but may loosen up with a bit of use and warmth from your wrist. If it is the wrong oil, it will likely have to be stripped down, cleaned off and correctly lubricated again.
Vincent65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 May 2014, 02:01 AM   #10
R.W.T.
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maseman1 View Post
R.W.T- it ratches backwards smoothly... I may try the lube anyways...
I often find that when I replace the tube gaskets that when they are very fresh they are quite "snug". We always lubricate the gaskets with film of silicone grease.

It's not a question of not being smooth but rather just stiff. When you put fresh lubrication on the gasket it spins pretty freely.
R.W.T. is offline   Reply With Quote