The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Ω Omega Discussion Forum

Old 20 July 2014, 07:36 AM   #1
JohnBaker3
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 1971 Red Sub
Apollo 11 Anniversary July 20th 1969

Hey Guys:

Sunday is the anniversary of the Apollo 11 landing on the moon; it is also the biggest day in the history of Omega because of all the watches that followed!

The black Speedmaster Professional 321 or 861 is pretty awesome, but the 35th Anniversary Apollo 11 with the white dial is a definite keeper.

Thanks Neil and Buzz; you made this hobby one of the best !!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Omega Speedmaster A11 35ANN.jpg (73.9 KB, 332 views)
File Type: jpg Omega Speedmaster Pro 1969.jpg (112.1 KB, 331 views)
Old 20 July 2014, 07:49 AM   #2
SUBversive
Banned

Watch: Sun Dial
SUBversive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2014, 08:01 AM   #3
jay_man2
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
I'm ready.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0045.jpg (93.3 KB, 326 views)
jay_man2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2014, 10:37 AM   #4
landroverking
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
I gave my SMP to my son in law..I can't wait to get another.
landroverking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2014, 11:17 AM   #5
flyinghell34
"TRF" Member

I've had this on all week.

flyinghell34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2014, 12:00 PM   #6
malarky_hk
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
The panda dial looks awesome.
malarky_hk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2014, 12:16 PM   #7
GTS Dean
"TRF" Member

Watch: 3570.50

Apollo 11 landing Capcom Charlie Duke (Apollo 16)

GTS Dean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2014, 12:29 PM   #8
sea-dweller
"TRF" Member

Looks great!
sea-dweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2014, 12:50 PM   #9
rodrob59
"TRF" Member

Watch: YG DD 18238
I've been wearing mine all weekend.

Old 20 July 2014, 01:05 PM   #10
Dan Pierce
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex-1 Tudor-3
Let's not forget Mike Collins orbiting the moon wearing his trusty GMT. Somebody had to keep the car running for the return trip.
dP
The Crown & Shield Club
Honorary Member of P-Club
Dan Pierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2014, 01:22 PM   #11
SUBversive
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Pierce View Post
Let's not forget Mike Collins orbiting the moon wearing his trusty GMT. Somebody had to keep the car running for the return trip.
dP
Not that you are trying to spoil the speedmaster fun, but according to jake, mike Collins wore a rolex Turn-O-Graph during an 11 training mission but there is no evidence he did not have the standard issue speedmaster in the spacecraft.
Old 20 July 2014, 01:48 PM   #12
Dan Pierce
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex-1 Tudor-3
Quote:
Originally Posted by SUBversive View Post
Not that you are trying to spoil the speedmaster fun, but according to jake, mike Collins wore a rolex Turn-O-Graph during an 11 training mission but there is no evidence he did not have the standard issue speedmaster in the spacecraft.
No offense to the Speedy! Love the Speedmaster.

Probably have my facts mixed up but I thought he wore the requisite Speedmaster and a GMT underneath the space suit. Either way the Speedmaster has such an historic role in this amazing story, which I had the privilege to watch live at the age of 10.

Brother in law's 40th Anniversary.
dP
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1170062.jpg (164.4 KB, 276 views)
The Crown & Shield Club
Honorary Member of P-Club
Dan Pierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2014, 02:03 PM   #13
SUBversive
Banned

Jack Swigert wore his Rolex Pepsi GMT on the Apollo 13 Moon Mission. According to Jake - the master - Rolex traded him a gold gmt. This history is fascinating.
Old 20 July 2014, 02:39 PM   #14
ec51
Banned

Watch: 14060M
Just in case you missed it -- one fantastic Apollo 11 site:

http://wechoosethemoon.org

And an even better one:

http://www.firstmenonthemoon.com
ec51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2014, 02:55 PM   #15
repoman
"TRF" Member

Watch: Omega Speedmaster
Unfortunately, my 145.012-67 Speedmaster is being serviced, or I would be wearing it with pride on Sunday. May even head over to the Omega AD and take another STRONG look at that 45th anniversary edition
repoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2014, 09:04 PM   #16
flyinghell34
"TRF" Member

Here's Mr. Collins on station with the requisite Speedmaster on a JB Champion bracelet.

Old 20 July 2014, 09:06 PM   #17
flyinghell34
"TRF" Member

The is one of the most incredibly put together audio and video of the first moon landing. The video merges the audio, video, major players, and their place in the control room second my second.

If you have any interest in this topic at all I would encourage you to take and few minutes and check it out.

About the Project

This project is an online interactive featuring the Eagle lunar landing. The presentation includes original Apollo 11 spaceflight video footage, communication audio, mission control room conversations, text transcripts, and telemetry data, all synchronized into an integrated audio-visual experience.

Until today, it has been impossible to comprehensively experience mankind's shining exploratory accomplishment in a singular experience. We have compiled hours of content available from public domain sources and various NASA websites. Thamtech staff and volunteers generously devoted their time to transcribe hours of speech to text. By using simultaneous space and land based audio and video, transcripts, images, spacecraft telemetry, and biomedical data—this synchronized presentation reveals the Moon Shot as experienced by the astronauts and flight controllers.

Our goal is to capture a moment in history so that generations may now relive the events with this interactive educational resource. The world remembers the moon landing as a major historical event but often fails to recognize the scale of the mission. This interactive resource aims to educate visitors while engaging them with the excitement of manned-spaceflight to build a passion for scientific exploration.

Visitors begin the experience by hearing the words of Buzz Aldrin while simultaneously viewing the moon through the lunar module window. Moments later, the audience hears capsule communicator Charlie Duke inform flight director Gene Kranz that the astronauts are on schedule to start the descent engine. Throughout the presentation, visitors are able to customize their experience by jumping to key moments in the timeline. The timeline guides visitors to the crucial moments in the mission, including: program alarms (computer alerts), famous Go No-Go polls in the control room, low level fuel milestones, and landing.

"The Eagle has Landed." Neil Armstrong's words signal a technical milestone and successful execution of John F. Kennedy's vision to land a man on the moon safely. Prior to these famous words, visitors see the synchronized audio communications, transcripts, video of the lunar module's casting a shadow on the lunar surface, and biomedical telemetry of Armstrong's heart rate surpassing 150 beats per minute!

The footprints from Buzz Aldrin and Neil Armstrong on July 20, 1969 paved the way for five additional successful trips to the lunar surface over the following years. Thamtech takes pride in providing visitors with a glimpse into this and mankind's enduring spirit for exploration.

Enjoy....

Old 20 July 2014, 10:32 PM   #18
JohnBaker3
2024 Pledge Member

flyinghell34....great link...thanks for sharing....

Be safe.
Old 20 July 2014, 10:46 PM   #19
gaopa
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Explorer II
I remember July 20,1969 well! July 20 is my wife's birthday and we were glued to the TV to watch the moon landing! Nothing like the "moon watch"! Cheers, Bill P.
gaopa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 July 2014, 03:05 AM   #20
sarir97
"TRF" Member

Watch: Ω & Rolex
In honor or Neil, my 105.012-65 on a JB Champion.

sarir97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 July 2014, 04:03 AM   #21
Lew Archer
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Submariner
My father, mother and I watched the landing. I was four, dressed in my space suit to mark the occasion.

Today, I'm 49...and wearing my dad's Omega Speedmaster Professional to mark the occasion. I stood at his side when he bought it in 1975 or so. He chose it for its qualities as a watch, but also for its link to a great human achievement.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1405879046.059580.jpg (82.5 KB, 232 views)
Lew Archer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 July 2014, 05:25 AM   #22
GTS Dean
"TRF" Member

Watch: 3570.50
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyinghell34 View Post
The is one of the most incredibly put together audio and video of the first moon landing. The video merges the audio, video, major players, and their place in the control room second my second.

If you have any interest in this topic at all I would encourage you to take and few minutes and check it out.

Enjoy....

Excellent link. It correlates very will with my flight plan page. Thank you!
GTS Dean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 July 2014, 05:43 AM   #23
RolexJNJ
"TRF" Member

Omega Speedmaster Apollo 11 45th Anniversary Limited Edition!

http://www.hodinkee.com/blog/hands-o...th-anniversary
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (65.2 KB, 230 views)
RolexJNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 July 2014, 07:20 AM   #24
joe100
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Watch: Explorer
If the world could come together and and channel money that we spend on defense to exploration and science, we could do amazing things.
Old 21 July 2014, 05:15 PM   #25
DCheeta
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe100 View Post
If the world could come together and and channel money that we spend on defense to exploration and science, we could do amazing things.
Damn right! What a misallocation of resources!

Here's mine to commemorate the day.

DCheeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2014, 06:41 AM   #26
swish77
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing the time!
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyinghell34 View Post

About the Project

This project is an online interactive featuring the Eagle lunar landing. The presentation includes original Apollo 11 spaceflight video footage, communication audio, mission control room conversations, text transcripts, and telemetry data, all synchronized into an integrated audio-visual experience.

Until today, it has been impossible to comprehensively experience mankind's shining exploratory accomplishment in a singular experience. We have compiled hours of content available from public domain sources and various NASA websites. Thamtech staff and volunteers generously devoted their time to transcribe hours of speech to text. By using simultaneous space and land based audio and video, transcripts, images, spacecraft telemetry, and biomedical data—this synchronized presentation reveals the Moon Shot as experienced by the astronauts and flight controllers.

Our goal is to capture a moment in history so that generations may now relive the events with this interactive educational resource. The world remembers the moon landing as a major historical event but often fails to recognize the scale of the mission. This interactive resource aims to educate visitors while engaging them with the excitement of manned-spaceflight to build a passion for scientific exploration.

Visitors begin the experience by hearing the words of Buzz Aldrin while simultaneously viewing the moon through the lunar module window. Moments later, the audience hears capsule communicator Charlie Duke inform flight director Gene Kranz that the astronauts are on schedule to start the descent engine. Throughout the presentation, visitors are able to customize their experience by jumping to key moments in the timeline. The timeline guides visitors to the crucial moments in the mission, including: program alarms (computer alerts), famous Go No-Go polls in the control room, low level fuel milestones, and landing.

"The Eagle has Landed." Neil Armstrong's words signal a technical milestone and successful execution of John F. Kennedy's vision to land a man on the moon safely. Prior to these famous words, visitors see the synchronized audio communications, transcripts, video of the lunar module's casting a shadow on the lunar surface, and biomedical telemetry of Armstrong's heart rate surpassing 150 beats per minute!

The footprints from Buzz Aldrin and Neil Armstrong on July 20, 1969 paved the way for five additional successful trips to the lunar surface over the following years. Thamtech takes pride in providing visitors with a glimpse into this and mankind's enduring spirit for exploration.

Enjoy....

Fabulous link! Many thanks! I love that you can see Armstrong's heart rate. 150 when he landed and as cool as can be. Amazing stuff.
swish77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 July 2014, 10:00 AM   #27
JohnBaker3
2024 Pledge Member

Hey Guys:

As a follow-up to the original thread on the 45th anniversary celebration, here is a great article on the SMP movement (321, 861, and 1861).

Enjoy.

http://omega.watchprosite.com/show-f...ti-364597/s-0/
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Omega Speedmaster Pro 1969.jpg (112.1 KB, 117 views)