The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Forum > Classifieds > WatchOut!!!

Old 6 November 2014, 02:51 AM   #1
Mosco
"TRF" Member

Watch: I like to...
Icon4 attn ebay sellers - GRACE BURNELL - name tied to FRAUDULENT accounts.

Attn: if you sell on ebay, there is a wave of fraud taking place in the last few weeks. Ebay, even when notified of it, does NOTHING. The name above, Grace Burnell, has been tied to TWO hi-jacked accounts. Transactions lead to chargebacks, so be aware. Thus far, we know two ebay accounts which have been hijacked, certain there are more:

campbell859
davidb8035

Ebay allows these accounts to operate even after they have been confirmed fraudulent, so there is far more at play than we realize.

Once you complete the transaction, do an advanced search for Find contact information, call the account holder to verify everything. If doesn't match - odds are, it is a fraudulent account. Don't bother calling ebay, as you will only waste an hour of sitting on hold. And the ship to addresses are PAYPAL CONFIRMED, so don't be lulled into a false state of security.

“A man who procrastinates in his choosing will inevitably have his choice made for him by circumstance.” - Hunter S. Thompson
Mosco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 November 2014, 03:37 AM   #2
locutus49
Banned

Watch: Platona
Why would anyone buy a Rolex off of eBay? Not a day goes by that fraud is yet again discovered. Why take the chance when you can buy off of TRF sellers?

I know, blast me because "most ebay sellers and buyers are honest"! Yeah, most. But that means some are not, and, again, why take a risk when there is 25% chance of being ripped off (and I'm being generous with 25%).

Thanks to the OP for the news. Most appreciated.
locutus49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 November 2014, 03:49 AM   #3
nickb732
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by locutus49 View Post
Why would anyone buy a Rolex off of eBay? Not a day goes by that fraud is yet again discovered. Why take the chance when you can buy off of TRF sellers?

I know, blast me because "most ebay sellers and buyers are honest"! Yeah, most. But that means some are not, and, again, why take a risk when there is 25% chance of being ripped off (and I'm being generous with 25%).

He's talking about buyer fraud here, not seller. Your post has little to do with Mosco's, i.e. the fact that some buyers are trying to defraud sellers.

Nick
nickb732 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 November 2014, 04:57 AM   #4
Mosco
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by locutus49 View Post

relax, cupcake. I am the seller, honest and reputable. And I sell Rolexes on ebay (amongst other brands) with excellent results for both parties.
And I am not alone.
Many TRF sellers also have a presence on ebay, why wouldn't you?
Here, the buyer was the fraudulent party, with a hi-jacked ebay account. Sorry I wasn't clearerer in my OP.

“A man who procrastinates in his choosing will inevitably have his choice made for him by circumstance.” - Hunter S. Thompson
Old 6 November 2014, 05:25 AM   #5
Knappo 1307
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Watch: Sea Dweller
Thanks for the headsup Greg.......
Knappo 1307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 November 2014, 06:25 AM   #6
crowncollection
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosco View Post
relax, cupcake. I am the seller, honest and reputable. And I sell Rolexes on ebay (amongst other brands) with excellent results for both parties.

And I am not alone.

Many TRF sellers also have a presence on ebay, why wouldn't you?

Here, the buyer was the fraudulent party, with a hi-jacked ebay account. Sorry I wasn't clearerer in my OP.

X 2.

Very dangerous to sell on eBay it no cake walk for seller , new money back rules and paypal can be challenged for 180 days now. I feel for sellers as much as buyers. I have done both in eBay
Old 6 November 2014, 06:31 AM   #7
bayerische
"TRF" Member

Watch: Smurf
"25% chance of being ripped off!"

OK, so I've been ripped off about 30 times then on eBay. Shame I haven't noticed.
Old 6 November 2014, 06:59 AM   #8
nickb732
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayerische View Post
"25% chance of being ripped off!"

OK, so I've been ripped off about 30 times then on eBay. Shame I haven't noticed.
He's being generous with 25%.. sure it hasn't been 45 times?

Nick
nickb732 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 November 2014, 07:18 AM   #9
bayerische
"TRF" Member

Watch: Smurf
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickb732 View Post
He's being generous with 25%.. sure it hasn't been 45 times?
Old 6 November 2014, 07:31 AM   #10
bmpwatch
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crowncollection View Post
X 2.

Very dangerous to sell on eBay it no cake walk for seller , new money back rules and paypal can be challenged for 180 days now. I feel for sellers as much as buyers. I have done both in eBay
180 days now?...what a joke...as if paypal and ebay weren't enough against the seller.
bmpwatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 November 2014, 07:42 AM   #11
Mosco
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmpwatch View Post
180 days now?...what a joke...as if paypal and ebay weren't enough against the seller.
it feels like that sometimes

Old 6 November 2014, 11:12 AM   #12
Chewbacca
Banned

Watch: Kessel Run Chrono
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosco View Post
Attn: if you sell on ebay, there is a wave of fraud taking place in the last few weeks. Ebay, even when notified of it, does NOTHING. The name above, Grace Burnell, has been tied to TWO hi-jacked accounts. Transactions lead to chargebacks, so be aware. Thus far, we know two ebay accounts which have been hijacked, certain there are more:

campbell859
davidb8035

Ebay allows these accounts to operate even after they have been confirmed fraudulent, so there is far more at play than we realize.

Once you complete the transaction, do an advanced search for Find contact information, call the account holder to verify everything. If doesn't match - odds are, it is a fraudulent account. Don't bother calling ebay, as you will only waste an hour of sitting on hold. And the ship to addresses are PAYPAL CONFIRMED, so don't be lulled into a false state of security.
Thanks Greg.
Chewbacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 November 2014, 11:43 AM   #13
mboverst
"TRF" Member

Bump for visibility. We were the other seller that this scammer bought from. Be careful if you sell on eBay, as this same individual has either successfully or attempted to buy multiple pieces from a bunch of different dealers. EBay and PayPal are aware of the compromised accounts and doing nothing...If you have any questions or run into the same scumbag, feel free to call either Greg or myself.
mboverst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 November 2014, 11:54 AM   #14
mwatch

[QUOTE Don't bother calling ebay, as you will only waste an hour of sitting on hold. And the ship to addresses are PAYPAL CONFIRMED, so don't be lulled into a false state of security.[/QUOTE]

So, does this mean both ebay and paypal accounts were hijacked and the confirmed shipping address changed?
mwatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 November 2014, 11:55 AM   #15
Lgear080
Banned

do you have a street address - ie where the pieces were shipped?
Lgear080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 November 2014, 12:17 PM   #16
Mosco
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwatch View Post
So, does this mean both ebay and paypal accounts were hijacked and the confirmed shipping address changed?
Yep.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lgear080 View Post
do you have a street address - ie where the pieces were shipped?
grace burnell
12475 E Alaska Ave
Aurora, CO 80012-2353
United States

Old 6 November 2014, 02:40 PM   #17
crowncollection
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmpwatch View Post

You are not assured you money is safe for 6 months crazy so much for flipping, 6 months to find a fake and then claim it's really stinks IMHO
Old 6 November 2014, 02:52 PM   #18
southtexas

attn ebay sellers - GRACE BURNELL - name tied to FRAUDULENT accounts.

Wow, 180 day PayPal protection? Although credit card charge back potential was always a concern thru PP, that new policy is just as bad or worse. When is a paypal deal ever final? If you're a seller, buy the buyer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Follow me on Instagram @ccrolex
southtexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 November 2014, 06:30 AM   #19
mboverst
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by southtexas View Post
Wow, 180 day PayPal protection? Although credit card charge back potential was always a concern thru PP, that new policy is just as bad or worse. When is a paypal deal ever final? If you're a seller, buy the buyer.Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You're never safe and just SOL if they dispute. PayPal will cover you if the buyer claims you didn't send or it was a fraudulent transaction, but with the new rules the buyer can wear a watch for 6 months then miraculously claim It wasn't as described and force a refund. It sucks, but there's not much we can do and we sell way too much on eBay to boycot them.
Old 7 November 2014, 06:53 AM   #20
Knappo 1307

Watch: Sea Dweller
Quote:
Originally Posted by mboverst View Post
You're never safe and just SOL if they dispute. PayPal will cover you if the buyer claims you didn't send or it was a fraudulent transaction, but with the new rules the buyer can wear a watch for 6 months then miraculously claim It wasn't as described and force a refund. It sucks, but there's not much we can do and we sell way too much on eBay to boycot them.
Matt, I'm sure you have thought of this, but if you demand payment in the form of Bank wire, bank transfer will that affect your business and bottom line? Almost seems worth it, even if some business is lost. Using paypal as a form of payment is becoming very risky, and almost not worth it. Unless of course you have done business with the purchaser before.
Knappo 1307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 November 2014, 09:05 AM   #21
mwatch

I believe the 180 days rule will take effect Nov. 18th so if you are thinking about selling a watch on ebay then now or never It is just a ridiculous change.
mwatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 November 2014, 09:24 AM   #22
Lgear080
Banned

Thanks mosco... Assuming police reports have been filed. These thefts are
Also considered (interstate) wire fraud too, I believe.
Old 7 November 2014, 09:33 AM   #23
Lgear080
Banned

Thanks mosco... Assuming police reports have been filed. These thefts are
Also considered (interstate) wire fraud too, I believe.
Old 7 November 2014, 12:05 PM   #24
mboverst
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knappo 1307 View Post
Matt, I'm sure you have thought of this, but if you demand payment in the form of Bank wire, bank transfer will that affect your business and bottom line? Almost seems worth it, even if some business is lost. Using paypal as a form of payment is becoming very risky, and almost not worth it. Unless of course you have done business with the purchaser before.

Yeah, we offer a pretty hefty discount for bank wire, just for security and peace of mind. Unfortunately it's impossible to do any kind of real volume by only accepting bank wire, and eBay requires you to accept PayPal on their auctions. We still require it for all deals over $10k everywhere on all orders. Also on every international deal, regardless of the amount, if not done through eBay with their seller protection. Knock on wood, we've been pretty lucky over the years though. We got stung for 27k last year on an AMEX fraud case, but luckily that was it. As much as I like to complain about PayPal, they've paid me out around 100k over the years on fraudulent eBay purchases with their seller protection program. The AMEX fraud we got hit with was a direct website sale on three domestic orders (which ended up being tied to the same individual scammer).