The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 28 December 2014, 09:23 AM   #1
iclick
"TRF" Member

Advice needed on Rolex Precision 6694

I'm trying to advise a friend who owns a Rolex Precision #6694 (#5337xx, II-60) that he bought in 1970 for $15. It is authentic, hasn't been used since he bought it, and although it runs it needs service. It's probably worth about $800-1000 and service estimates are between $600-700 (two quotes so far). As you can see in the photo the dial shows some corrosion but the movement looks fairly clean. The crystal was broken for some time and I'm sure moisture is the culprit for the dial stains, as it spent several years in Viet Nam, but it looks better in the flesh than it does in the photo.

He wants to revive the watch and wear it indefinitely but isn't sure how far he should go. Questions have come up like...

(1) Should he spend $600-700 to service a watch that's worth only slightly more? If he does, he'll have a few $C less in the watch than it is worth.

(2) Should he source a vintage dial in better condition and if so what options were available in 1960? Most dials of this vintage seem to be lumed but this watch has none on either dial nor hands, and non-lumed dials are scarcer than those with it.

(3) It currently has no strap or bracelet, so what bracelet was standard for this vintage? Sourcing a bracelet would be costly (A few more $C) while a nice NATO would not break the bank.

I'm not sure how to advise him, so please give me your thoughts so I can pass them along. I tend to think he should keep the original dial and hands, service the watch, buy a NATO strap, and just wear it with pride.

Tudor Sub 79090 (1992)
iclick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 December 2014, 10:18 PM   #2
janice&fred
Banned

Watch: all of them!
Quote:
Originally Posted by iclick View Post
I'm trying to advise a friend who owns a Rolex Precision #6694 (#5337xx, II-60) that he bought in 1970 for $15. It is authentic, hasn't been used since he bought it, and although it runs it needs service. It's probably worth about $800-1000 and service estimates are between $600-700 (two quotes so far). As you can see in the photo the dial shows some corrosion but the movement looks fairly clean. The crystal was broken for some time and I'm sure moisture is the culprit for the dial stains, as it spent several years in Viet Nam, but it looks better in the flesh than it does in the photo.

He wants to revive the watch and wear it indefinitely but isn't sure how far he should go. Questions have come up like...

(1) Should he spend $600-700 to service a watch that's worth only slightly more? If he does, he'll have a few $C less in the watch than it is worth.

(2) Should he source a vintage dial in better condition and if so what options were available in 1960? Most dials of this vintage seem to be lumed but this watch has none on either dial nor hands, and non-lumed dials are scarcer than those with it.

(3) It currently has no strap or bracelet, so what bracelet was standard for this vintage? Sourcing a bracelet would be costly (A few more $C) while a nice NATO would not break the bank.

I'm not sure how to advise him, so please give me your thoughts so I can pass them along. I tend to think he should keep the original dial and hands, service the watch, buy a NATO strap, and just wear it with pride.

i don't think that watch is worth $800 to $1000...more like $400 to $600 in that condition needing so much work and without a bracelet. obviously that era watch would have a 19mm riveted oyster bracelet and i'm surprised you couldn't find that out with a quick web search. yes if your friend feels the watch is sentimental then sure why not throw money at it, but it's going to take alot. aside from the unknown movement problems a nice original dial will be $100 to $200 and a reasonably tight original riveted 19mm oyster that has not been monkeyed up by a shoemaker will probably cost $200 to $400. count on a tube and crown as well because those manual wind oysters have to be unscrewed and screwed down once a day and that wears them out unless they are carefully handled and greased regularly. that watch will be a money pit but if he bought it for $15 then he is way ahead and could make something out of it but he best be careful as when he is done he may have been able to buy a nice tight original example for what he will throw into that one.
janice&fred is offline   Reply With Quote