The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex WatchTech

Old 22 July 2015, 01:03 AM   #1
miniman24
"TRF" Member

Converting 1570 DateJust 1600 Series to 1500 Series

Hi all, first post here! I am a watch collector and repairer, fairly new to Rolexes and have a question that I think the collective intelligence of this forum should have no problem answering.

I have a Cal. 1570 movement from a DateJust, and a complete 1680 Submariner case and dial. I know that the Sub case and dial only accepts the 1500 series of the 1570 movement with the non-beveled date ring retainer. Is it possible to convert the 1600 series to a 1500 series by simply changing the date ring retainer to the smaller one that accepts the Sub dial, or is there more to it than that? Im hoping to make a low cost daily wearer with these parts.

Thanks, Vic
miniman24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2015, 06:05 PM   #2
miniman24
"TRF" Member

Any idea guys? Don't want to disassemble the movement if its not a possible conversion, can't find the info anywhere else. Thanks!
Old 23 July 2015, 04:16 AM   #3
Fredrik
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 1680
I can not answer your question and I actually thought it was the other way around, that you couldn't fit a Submariner 1570 into a DJ case.

There is a Rolex WatchTech subforum, may I suggest that you post your question there?

http://www.rolexforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=30
Fredrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2015, 04:49 AM   #4
R.W.T.
"TRF" Member

I'm not certain which fits what but the movements are identical I am 99% sure.

Only the calendar retaining ring is different.

The 1500 is smaller than the 1600 obviously.

Which fits the sub I don't know. The 3 screws come off the calendar rings swap and voile' it is the same.
R.W.T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2015, 05:37 AM   #5
miniman24
"TRF" Member

Thanks very much for the replies, and for pointing out the tech forum - I should not have posted in such a rush! I have made a new thread there where hopefully the wisdom from R.W.T will be confirmed.

I also have strong suspicions that the case that I have is a fake (came in a job lot of parts that I bought for a very good price, so no harm done) but I will still use it to house the 1570, it will make a nice daily beater and it doesn't matter if the case gets a bit worn!

Thanks, Vic
Old 23 July 2015, 05:44 AM   #6
southtexas
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by miniman24 View Post
Thanks very much for the replies, and for pointing out the tech forum - I should not have posted in such a rush! I have made a new thread there where hopefully the wisdom from R.W.T will be confirmed.

I also have strong suspicions that the case that I have is a fake (came in a job lot of parts that I bought for a very good price, so no harm done) but I will still use it to house the 1570, it will make a nice daily beater and it doesn't matter if the case gets a bit worn!

Thanks, Vic
If you post up some pics of the case and engraving between the lugs here in this forum, we can tell you if the case is good.

Follow me on Instagram @ccrolex
southtexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2015, 09:33 AM   #7
miniman24
"TRF" Member

Thats the thing - there is no engraving! Its just blank, same for the caseback. Not thought anything of it until now as my main area of interest has been vintage Heuers, specifically their dash timer range. I will get some pics though.

Thanks!