The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Ω Omega Discussion Forum

Old 31 July 2015, 04:44 AM   #1
Syed117
"TRF" Member

George Clooney’s Choice - Speedy 57

Was wondering when one of the blogs would do a piece about this model.

I've seen the advertisement with Clooney wearing it, but didn't realize it had the line "George Clooney’s Choice". Not a fan of celebrity attachments to watches, but at least it's not stamped on the watch, or called something terrible like the Clooney Limited edition. I guess they could have done a lot worse when it comes to brand ambassadors.

Still haven't had time to check out the bracelet version, but I think it looks great in pictures.

http://www.ablogtowatch.com/omega-sp...vintage-watch/

Syed117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 July 2015, 05:57 AM   #2
Maxtor
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Watch: Exp 1, DJ Tuxedo
Cool looking watch.
Maxtor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 July 2015, 06:22 AM   #3
joe100
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Explorer
I'd love it if it weren't for the faux patina.
Old 31 July 2015, 06:26 AM   #4
Dan Pierce
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex-1 Tudor-3
Just darker lume, not faux patina. Great looking chrono.
dP
The Crown & Shield Club
Honorary Member of P-Club
Dan Pierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 July 2015, 06:40 AM   #5
Syed117
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe100 View Post
I think it's one of those watches that needs to be seen in person. The color of the lume is really hard to gauge through a screen.

It's definitely more brown than yellow, and in person I think it looks great.

I think at this point, there are so many possible colors for lume, that it doesn't really matter what people call it. I think they are calling it vintage superluminova. I just call it tan lume.

They aren't really making it look old by prematurely aging the lume or anthing like that, it's just a color, and it works great with the dial.
Old 31 July 2015, 07:47 AM   #6
kjp1
Banned

Watch: 1680 Sub
Quote:
i'd love it if it weren't for the faux patina.
+1!
kjp1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 August 2015, 01:42 AM   #7
capote
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16570
I'm sure Omega choose it for him and not the other way around. Fake patina is so old by now.
capote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 August 2015, 02:52 AM   #8
Diamonddream
"TRF" Member

Quote:
i'd love it if it weren't for the faux patina.
+1
Diamonddream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 August 2015, 12:31 PM   #9
mps354
2024 Pledge Member

I like it, just too thick
mps354 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 August 2015, 01:01 PM   #10
andrewd
"TRF" Member

Not doing it for me. Too big, no historical significance, celebrity endorsement, looks like it is trying too hard. The original Speedy pro with hesalite is the thinking man's choice.
andrewd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2015, 05:06 AM   #11
Wesley Crusher
"TRF" Member

I like it, but it is too thick.

It would be nice to see Omega come out with a manual wind movement based on the 9300. It would be closer to the original (manual vs auto), but with all of the modern improvements... The best of both worlds, really. By doing this, Omega would also be able to make the Speedmasters much thinner, I'd imagine.
Wesley Crusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2015, 06:44 AM   #12
Fabrice M
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: This and that...
I don't wear chrono watches anymore, but if I did I would definitely buy Omega. I like them much more than Rolex daytona's.
Fabrice M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2015, 07:04 AM   #13
jshepard
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMTII
On the website they show the old '57. I guess you can take a regular coaxial speedy, put broad hands, add patina, charge extra and say it had any connection to a classic. Forget the original had 3 subdials and a simpler bezel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jshepard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2015, 09:29 PM   #14
Knisse
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by capote View Post
I'm sure Omega choose it for him and not the other way around. Fake patina is so old by now.
My thoughts exactly regarding the first line. I would honestly be surprised if George Clooney has too much thought process besides who pays more regarding what watches he wears. (Heck, if i got paid millions to wear a watch i would probably wear even a Invicta without complaining too heavily)

If Rolex paid more i would not be surprised if something like the GMT or whatever would be the"George Clooneys choice".

Hopefully i am wrong.

Regarding the watch itself, i like it. If it wasnt too thick and too big for my small wrists it would be a candidate.. If you like the look of those new-vintage Omegas, definitely look at the omega 300 master (it just misses the date!)
Knisse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2015, 04:43 PM   #15
Rashid.bk
"TRF" Member

Watch: 12800ft = 3900m
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan pierce View Post
just darker lume, not faux patina. Great looking chrono.
Dp
x2
Rashid.bk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2015, 05:29 AM   #16
Diamonddream
"TRF" Member

It looks great on a steel bracelet. I like what Omega did with the design.
Diamonddream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2015, 10:02 AM   #17
carreramay
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT Master II
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mps354 View Post
I like it, just too thick
Agree with the above and I'll add the broad arrow. Not a fan of that.
carreramay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2015, 11:35 AM   #18
douglasf13
"TRF" Member

For those who didn't see it, Mr. Clooney's choice for his wedding was the stunning new Tresor, and we actually have pics of him wearing it.

douglasf13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2015, 12:11 AM   #19
Knisse
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by douglasf13 View Post
For those who didn't see it, Mr. Clooney's choice for his wedding was the stunning new Tresor, and we actually have pics of him wearing it.
Maybe i am a cynic but i really think that either himself or one of his people called Omega and asked them to either pick one that suits a wedding or got a line-up for classical mens dress watches and then picked one. I think Omega pays so much money for this arrangement with Clooney that they need him to wear one that is marketing potential for the occasion.

It would had been interesting if he had worn something that the opposite of a wedding, like a Ploprof and if Omega actually would have allowed that. Much more difficult to have this Ploprof monster and the line "George Clooneys wedding choice"
Knisse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 August 2015, 06:19 AM   #20
BlueHeron
"TRF" Member

I actually think the tagline regarding Clooney is not about the '57 tribute ref but about Omega in general.

As for the new '57, I totally love it and tried to see it in Grand Cayman, but they hadn't received any inventory of this ref yet.

What is this thickness? I can't get away with much over 13 mm and hope this one isn't a hockey puck.

PS: I don't own an Omega yet but if I buy one, this would probably be it. Love that dial!
BlueHeron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 August 2015, 10:55 AM   #21
Syed117
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueHeron View Post
I actually think the tagline regarding Clooney is not about the '57 tribute ref but about Omega in general.

As for the new '57, I totally love it and tried to see it in Grand Cayman, but they hadn't received any inventory of this ref yet.

What is this thickness? I can't get away with much over 13 mm and hope this one isn't a hockey puck.

PS: I don't own an Omega yet but if I buy one, this would probably be it. Love that dial!
It's about 16mm thick and it is a bit of a puck.

That being said, you really need to try it on. Even if they don't have this version, you can try the other 57 models.

My wrist is flat on top and the 57 actually sits really well. It's definitely a thick watch, but I had no issues getting it under a shirt sleeve. I felt like it sat fine and the thickness didn't bother me at all.

I've been patiently waiting to pick one up. It's still a relatively hard watch to get. Of the four boutiques in the NY area, three have gotten only one or two, and the fourth hasn't gotten any.

Hopefully more will be available about a month from now. That's when I plan on getting mine.
Old 26 August 2015, 06:19 AM   #22
BlueHeron
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syed117 View Post
It's about 16mm thick and it is a bit of a puck.

That being said, you really need to try it on. Even if they don't have this version, you can try the other 57 models.

My wrist is flat on top and the 57 actually sits really well. It's definitely a thick watch, but I had no issues getting it under a shirt sleeve. I felt like it sat fine and the thickness didn't bother me at all.

I've been patiently waiting to pick one up. It's still a relatively hard watch to get. Of the four boutiques in the NY area, three have gotten only one or two, and the fourth hasn't gotten any.

Hopefully more will be available about a month from now. That's when I plan on getting mine.
16 MM, oh boy. I still can't wait to try it on, maybe I can pull it off, I don't know. Thanks for the info!!
BlueHeron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 August 2015, 09:02 PM   #23
fania123
"TRF" Member

+1,000%

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewd View Post
not doing it for me. Too big, no historical significance, celebrity endorsement, looks like it is trying too hard. The original speedy pro with hesalite is the thinking man's choice.
fania123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 August 2015, 07:24 AM   #24
kevinwang1219
"TRF" Member

Watch: Seiko Blumo
good looking piece! still prefer to get 3750.50 =\
kevinwang1219 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 September 2015, 06:48 AM   #25
MATCH1969
"TRF" Member

Watch: Vintage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabrice M View Post
I don't wear chrono watches anymore, but if I did I would definitely buy Omega. I like them much more than Rolex daytona's.
However your avatar is wearing a nice 6263 Cosmo
MATCH1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2015, 04:24 AM   #26
DCgator
"TRF" Member

Watch: DS,BLNR,SubLV,DJ2
Icon6

Quote:
Originally Posted by douglasf13 View Post

I'm digging the Tresor, especially the YG version. Had a chance to buy one at a really great price BNIB and skipped it because I already have two dress watches I kinda regret it now....
DCgator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 November 2015, 08:32 AM   #27
vman
"TRF" Member

Watch: less TV
I too dig Tresor. However, the whole crap about Clooney's choice and 1957 is a big turn off for me. The same applies to James Bond's choice and all other choices. Sorry, Omega, you are way off in your marketing efforts.

The moment an actor, a fictitious character or a car company gets behind the watch, is the moment when I step away. Perhaps I am too freaking opinionated about this, but let the watch sell itself at least to a certain degree. Ferrari or Austin Martin (sorry, JLC) does not make a watch better.
vman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 November 2015, 08:42 AM   #28
busytimmy
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the detectives
Quote:
Originally Posted by vman View Post
I too dig Tresor. However, the whole crap about Clooney's choice and 1957 is a big turn off for me. The same applies to James Bond's choice and all other choices. Sorry, Omega, you are way off in your marketing efforts.

The moment an actor, a fictitious character or a car company gets behind the watch, is the moment when I step away. Perhaps I am too freaking opinionated about this, but let the watch sell itself at least to a certain degree. Ferrari or Austin Martin (sorry, JLC) does not make a watch better.

I agree with guy ^

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
busytimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 November 2015, 10:16 AM   #29
Syed117
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vman View Post

Considering almost every popular watch in the world has at some point been advertised with a real or fake person, that doesn't really leave much left to choose from.
Old 2 November 2015, 10:28 AM   #30
Lordofrolex
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes Please!
I like the watch don't like celebs endorsement. I like it when they choose to love it and not get paid to pretend to love it. Example: John Mayer (Rolex), sylvester stallone (Panerai). True fans of those watch houses with no benefit to them. I'm sure they get some kind of benefit but are not paid to endorse.

Follow me on Instagram: @b_jakobovich
Lordofrolex is offline   Reply With Quote