The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Classifieds > WatchOut!!!

Old 4 September 2015, 09:57 AM   #1
springer
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT-MASTER
ALERT....Springer account was hacked....ALERT

On Monday, my account with the screen name "springer" was hacked by someone who did not waste any time attempting to defraud members here on the forum.

Once the account was hacked, my location (TEXAS) , which appears under my avatar, was changed to indicate that I was from TEXAS / HK.

I have learned that the hacker responded to some want-to-buy ads and has defrauded one member of at least $4,000 for a watch via a cashiers check that the buyer mailed to the hacker at a warehouse location in Miami. I also learned from the TRF member that had purchased the watch that the hacker, at no time, used my name during the private messages the two shared. Lastly, at no time, did the buyer have a phone conversation with the hacker regarding his purchase, nor did the hacker every use my name on the check.

Based on my background and experience, I have posted threads in the past, as well as others here, regarding due diligence when making a purchase. Without rehashing this information now, my advice to everyone would be to verify the details of every purchase, talk to the seller via the phone and get a home address and phone number or anything else that would help in verifying who the seller is. Review the seller's details posted on the forum, and if his location is Texas, I would think that mailing or wiring money to another location would be a red flag.

Until my "springer" account is activated again, I will be using the "springerjp" account here on TRF. This account is only allowed 10 private messages - so, if anyone needs to get in contact with me and my PM box is full, check with timetogo, greekbum, beaumont miller, nsumner, HL65 or watchcrank who all have my contact information.

Thanks!

John (jP)
springer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 September 2015, 10:28 AM   #2
J!m
"TRF" Member

Watch: this! Hold my beer
Wow. That sucks!

I hope the bastard dies slowly in a plane crash in the mountains...

Always: BUYER BEWARE!
J!m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 September 2015, 10:55 AM   #3
nsumner
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5513
Sorry man, that's incredibly annoying.

Great advise regarding due diligence when making a deal, both buying and selling. This can't be stressed enough people!!! There are hackers, hijackers and alike attempting this type of thing constantly.

I'm sure the powers that be will have your old account up in no time....in the interim we'll try and not hold your noob status against you
nsumner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 September 2015, 10:59 AM   #4
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
Terrible. Hope it gets sorted quickly.
Old 4 September 2015, 12:09 PM   #5
AbsolutelyROLEX!
"TRF" Member

Watch: AKA: ANDERL712000
Yes cannot say it enough, take your time and research everything you can

Hans Wilsdorf, Rolex founder
AbsolutelyROLEX! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 September 2015, 12:18 PM   #6
gbx
"TRF" Member

any idea how your account was compromised?

password reuse on multiple sites?? email account compromised? malware on your PC?

It can happen to anyone... I just noticed that the forum is not running with SSL by default. But you can browse the forum with secure sockets. But by default, passwords and password changes are sent in the clear.

I'm really sorry to hear this news.
gbx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 September 2015, 01:04 PM   #7
springer

Watch: GMT-MASTER
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbx View Post

password reuse on multiple sites?? email account compromised? malware on your PC?

It can happen to anyone... I just noticed that the forum is not running with SSL by default. But you can browse the forum with secure sockets. But by default, passwords and password changes are sent in the clear.

In answer to your question - no.
springer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 September 2015, 01:31 PM   #8
BNA/LION

Watch: ROLEX
Bummer! I hope you get everything sorted out in short order...

✦ 28238 President DD 18K/YG ✦ 16610LN SS Sub ✦ 16613 18K/SS Serti ✦ 16550 Exp II Non-Rail Cream Dial ✦ Daytona C 116500 ✦ 126710 BLRO GMT-Master II ✦ NEXT-->?
Hole In One! 10/3/19 DMCC 5th hole, par 3, 168 yards w/ 4-Iron.
BNA/LION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 September 2015, 01:39 PM   #9
sleddog
TRF Moderator & 2024 SUBMARINER Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbx View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by springerjp View Post
In answer to your question - no.
Thanks for the making this aware John to other members, and let me add a little if I may.

Most likely the hack was due to a PM with a link sent to you (springer). That link took you to a false sign-in page where your password details became compromised after completing the sign-in. The Account was quickly closed, although unfortunately some were taken.

It does seem there is a one, or a group targeting TRF currently with these phishing PM's.
Do NOT sign in using links to this site EVER! Always use your own login portholes, whether that be from a personal favorite saved link, or a physically typed in www address you entered yourself.

Be careful, double check, ALWAYS!!

TRF's "After Dark" Bar & Nightclub Patron-Founding Member..
sleddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 September 2015, 06:41 PM   #10
crowncollection
"TRF" Member

That's terrible john, some real scammers around. Glad you picked it up quickly. All the best mate

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 4 September 2015, 10:21 PM   #11
TempoKing
Banned

Watch: Rolex GMT 1675
I heard this on my "watch flippers" facebook page, I guess vetted membership
when transactions of high dollar values take place is the way to go.
TempoKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 September 2015, 11:11 PM   #12
southtexas

Wow wrong guy to hack! Sorry for your troubles jp, have a good extended weekend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Follow me on Instagram @ccrolex
southtexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 September 2015, 11:17 PM   #13
wadeb_21
2024 Pledge Member

I'm sorry to hear that Springer. Same thing happened to me about a year and a half ago my account was hacked. I actually had a message today from user GILV (which the account now says banned) that was trying to do the samething to me. It Had a link in the message that brought me to another site that looks almost identical to the rolex forums site. Luckily because this has happened to me in the past I did not log into that site. Hope it all gets sorted out quickly and you get your normal account back.
wadeb_21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 September 2015, 11:19 PM   #14
JohnBaker3
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 1971 Red Sub
Sorry for the bad vibes John....

Be safe,

John B
Old 5 September 2015, 12:17 AM   #15
ocwatching
"TRF" Member

thanks for the heads up and getting this sorted...
I fell for a PM and immediately changed my password...saved some trouble..
Old 6 September 2015, 02:17 AM   #16
Gilv2
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wadeb_21 View Post
I'm sorry to hear that Springer. Same thing happened to me about a year and a half ago my account was hacked. I actually had a message today from user GILV (which the account now says banned) that was trying to do the samething to me. It Had a link in the message that brought me to another site that looks almost identical to the rolex forums site. Luckily because this has happened to me in the past I did not log into that site. Hope it all gets sorted out quickly and you get your normal account back.
This is the real gilv. I'm now Gilv2. Sorry this happened as obviously my account was hacked! Thanks to Sohail for quickly bringing it to my attention. Thankfully no damage appears to have been done to the fine, honest members on this forum.
Gilv2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 September 2015, 02:45 AM   #17
subtona
"TRF" Member

for clarification.

Often, An account being hacked is not something that happens to someone.
It is something that we interact with, ie our own action completes the hack.

As stated above in many cases, volunteering our sign in info to the bogus sight or clicking on a link that is more than it appears...

The tricks our many and if our guard is let down or we are distracted for a moment, it can happen.
Old 6 September 2015, 03:27 AM   #18
Ed Rooney
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sea-Dweller 16600
Quote:
Originally Posted by subtona View Post
for clarification.

An account being hacked is not something that happens to someone.
It is something that we interact with, ie our own action completes the hack.

As stated above in many cases, volunteering our sign in info to the bogus sight or clicking on a link that is more than it appears...

The tricks our many and if our guard is let down or we are distracted for a moment, it can happen.

I disagree. It is quite possible to have an account hacked through no fault of your own. A user can have an account of the same name, as many of us do, on another forum that is not completely parched and secure. A hacker can take advantage of a vulnerability on say, watchderpsforums.com, and then use that info on this forum. Until the forums use multi-factor authentication, stuff like this will happen.
Ed Rooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 September 2015, 03:52 AM   #19
subtona
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Rooney View Post
I disagree. It is quite possible to have an account hacked through no fault of your own. A user can have an account of the same name, as many of us do, on another forum that is not completely parched and secure. A hacker can take advantage of a vulnerability on say, watchderpsforums.com, and then use that info on this forum. Until the forums use multi-factor authentication, stuff like this will happen.
Agree there are more sophisticated hacks possible.

I only mean to highlight the occasion that many (majority?) of the hacks are had through deception and as a result we often participate in our own hacking.

something similar was mentioned with regard to Facebook, Zuckerberg needed us to hack ourselves.

Intent is just to point out that we all need to have a heightened sense of awareness when it comes to any emails we receive. And have a reflex to not blindly click in a link because the subject is enticing or sounds urgent.
Old 6 September 2015, 04:06 AM   #20
Ed Rooney
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sea-Dweller 16600
Quote:
Originally Posted by subtona View Post
Agree there are more sophisticated hacks possible.

I only mean to highlight the occasion that many (majority?) of the hacks are had through deception and as a result we often participate in our own hacking.

something similar was mentioned with regard to Facebook, Zuckerberg needed us to hack ourselves.

Intent is just to point out that we all need to have a heightened sense of awareness when it comes to any emails we receive. And have a reflex to not blindly click in a link because the subject is enticing or sounds urgent.

Agreed. The click reflex needs to be suppressed.

We had my entire company do mandatory cyber security training, and still caught people giving up their passwords and stuff the next day.
Ed Rooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 September 2015, 05:53 AM   #21
HL65
TRF Moderator & 2024 SUBMARINER Patron

Watch: One on my wrist.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wadeb_21 View Post
That is exactly who hacked John as well as some others here including Govbergjewelers. I banned Govbergjewelers today. The email belonging to the hacker is: el.wayne@yandex.com

John glad all is sorted out and you are back with no issues!

SPEM SUCCESSUS ALIT
HL65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 September 2015, 03:03 PM   #22
stockegsix
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub 1680
Saw a post today from Govbergjewelers 30 minutes into the ad and manage to get a PM in and a reply from scammer as well.

I almost fell for that 1680 this morning... I sent a text to govberg and got a reply. Yes, I am playing along via email.

me: "Interested in the 1680, is that the right price?"

scammer: "$3000 is the price. Send me an email to el.wayne@yandex.com"

me: "OK, how do you want the payment sent?"

scammer: "We accept bank wire/ cashier check."

me: "Do I make the check to govberg jewelers? Regards"

scammer: "No, make the check payable to our stock warehouse in FL.

Payable to: Conexion Turismo.
Delivered to: Jason Guell
8115 nw 74th ave
Medley, FL 33166
Phone: (305) 591-7507
Make sure it is a certified cashiers check you send. Will overnight the watch to you one we receive the check.

Thanks -
Jason "

Well we can start with this information here. Be safe guys, if its too good to be true... it probably is. Thanks.
stockegsix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 September 2015, 10:04 PM   #23
QueueCumber
"TRF" Member

Watch: ST:TNG
My Stub Hub account was hacked once. The hacker bought Broadway tickets with it. Stub Hub refunded the money. I was surprised they didn't make any effort to catch the person. I mean, at least send someone down to the show to see who bought the tickets and question them...