The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 13 February 2006, 11:45 AM   #1
NHHobie

SS case and band polishing

Hi All:

Anyone have any experience with the polishing kit sold at www.watchbandrenew.com? I tried out their sample kit which includes 5 different optical grade abrasives. They range from 30, 15, 9, 3, 2, and 1 micron(s).

I used the sample kit to polish up my wedding band which was my dad's and is from my parents 1942 wedding.

Its a 14 K band ring and after 10 minutes of polishing down thru the grades, it looks brand spanking new. I did not have to use the 30 micron pad as there were no huge scratches to remove.

Anyway, is there anything that I should know about the SS Submariner case and the Oyster watchband? My sub is a 1969. Specifically is there any sort of clearcoat finish on this puppy or is it "just" polished SS. I see from several websites, polishing wheels being used to buff up cases and watchbands. I would assume that this would remove any sort of "finish" if the watch had any applied as a manufacturing process.

I know that using the optical pads I mentioned above would remove any finish. Thought I'd ask what you all thought, before I started and had a "oh...sh.t"

Thankx for any input on the matter.

Hobie
NHHobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 February 2006, 03:17 PM   #2
dman
Lifetime TRF Patron

Watch: the road
Hobie, I assume you mean the sides of the case? The brushed finish of the bracelet can be cleaned up with a scoth-brite pad, just go with the grain. Most AD's should be able to clean up your watch real nice while you browse the selection. Just ask, they usually do it for no cost.

I really hope that midget cop doesn't find me in Kokomo.
dman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 February 2006, 08:14 AM   #3
NHHobie

Hi:

Yep, need to clean up the sides of the watchhead, including the lugs, and also the back of the case.

The watchhead seems to have a different sheen to it as opposed to the Oyster bracelet.

No question as to if this is an all original Rolex.

Hobie
Old 14 February 2006, 08:52 PM   #4
President Rolex
Banned

Don't do this. Let Rolex refinish it when you get your watch serviced. You can mess up metel in a hurry.

Just my advice.

PR
President Rolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 February 2006, 03:43 AM   #5
NHHobie

Hi:

Thak you all for the advice. I think I will drop my submariner off at the local AD in Burlington, MA (Alpha-Omega) for a "buff" when I visit the in-laws next.

One of the nice things about getting along in age is knowing when ask questions and to stop before doing any damage.

I still will not ask for bloody directions however. Some things will never change , nor should they.

Hobie
Old 15 February 2006, 03:47 AM   #6
NHHobie

Oops:

I meant to say I'll wait to send it up to Rolex-NY, in a year or so for service. Had a brain fart there. Middle age suff.

Hobie
Old 15 February 2006, 09:38 AM   #7
dman
Lifetime TRF Patron

Watch: the road
Either option is good. I know my AD always touches up my YM when I am in visiting with him.

I really hope that midget cop doesn't find me in Kokomo.
dman is offline   Reply With Quote