The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Ω Omega Discussion Forum

Old 4 October 2015, 03:57 AM   #1
hlippy4
"TRF" Member

Am I the only one who cannot understand...

Omega?
Let me explain...this coincides with numerous posts about the thickness and comfort of the PO.

I have a 42mm PO 8500 and have very strong feelings about it.
First....it is way too thick. It does not have any satisfactory adjustment for the band and angers me almost every day.
It is stunning to look at and the movement is awesome. But I cannot make it fit properly and comfortably.
Taking it on and off constantly and/or not wearing it because of this is maddening. In fact I have barely worn it over the year I've owned it because of this.

So what do I do? The Rolex Sub C or Datejust ii fit beautifully. However, the PO has essentially become a joke in terms of resale. It appears the only realistic option without opening the wallet and take a huge loss is to buy a 20 year old Explorer II.

Omega is so close to catching Rolex in terms of movements and design....but without comfor what do you have?

Just my 2 cents.
hlippy4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 October 2015, 10:16 AM   #2
kunlun
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlippy4 View Post
Omega?
Let me explain...this coincides with numerous posts about the thickness and comfort of the PO.

I have a 42mm PO 8500 and have very strong feelings about it.
First....it is way too thick. It does not have any satisfactory adjustment for the band and angers me almost every day.
It is stunning to look at and the movement is awesome. But I cannot make it fit properly and comfortably.
Taking it on and off constantly and/or not wearing it because of this is maddening. In fact I have barely worn it over the year I've owned it because of this.

So what do I do? The Rolex Sub C or Datejust ii fit beautifully. However, the PO has essentially become a joke in terms of resale. It appears the only realistic option without opening the wallet and take a huge loss is to buy a 20 year old Explorer II.

Omega is so close to catching Rolex in terms of movements and design....but without comfor what do you have?

Just my 2 cents.
Put a camille fournet strap or one from someone else and enjoy your watch that isn't as good as a rolex...
kunlun is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4 October 2015, 10:41 AM   #3
GolfGuy
"TRF" Member

Why not get a 2500 PO? IMO super comfortable and sits nicely on the wrist...

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk
GolfGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 October 2015, 10:53 AM   #4
Syed117
"TRF" Member

Why would you buy a watch that isn't comfortable on your wrist?

You're complaining about thickness which is a valid complaint, but again, why would you buy a watch if you have all these issues with it?
Old 4 October 2015, 11:40 AM   #5
GTS Dean
"TRF" Member

Watch: 3570.50
Are they thinner with a non-display case back?
Old 4 October 2015, 12:08 PM   #6
bdex75
"TRF" Member

Watch: my money vanish
I would look at other strap options. Because as you stated unless mosr any watch is bought right you will take a beating at resale time. Think leather and NATO depending on what you use the watch for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
bdex75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 October 2015, 01:20 PM   #7
joe100
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Explorer
That was my issue with the PO GMT. Gorgeous to look at but hideous on my wrist. It was like wearing a ship. The 2500 POs are probably the best looking divers Omega has ever done and probably their best in terms of wearability. Nice strap and bracelet options, comfortable as hell.

The new ceramic 8500s are just too big
Old 5 October 2015, 04:34 AM   #8
FTX I
"TRF" Member

The most comfortable Seamasters are the ones with 1120 cal hands down.
FTX I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 October 2015, 11:58 AM   #9
DCheeta
"TRF" Member

I absolutely loved my PO 8500 but had the same issue - it actually angered me that Omega didn't have any way to adjust the bracelet size aside from removing links.

After about a year I finally got an additional half-link, which solved the problem brilliantly (the half-links aren't really "half", they're more like two-thirds links). Unfortunately it was too late, by that time there were too many bad feelings between that watch and me. I had to send it on its way.
DCheeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 October 2015, 12:18 PM   #10
srvrf
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: PP/AP/VC
I agree with the majority and think you have two basic two options

(1) Try other straps. You'd be surprised how a different strap can change how it fits on your wrist and how it feels to you. You may wish to go the cheap eBay route first and then if you get a style you like, can buy a nicer version if you'd like.

(2) Sell it despite the loss. A watch that you don't like and therefore don't wear is of lesser value than money towards a watch that suits your needs/likes better. We've all been there and sold watches at a loss that we thought we'd like more. Wearing a watch for 5 minutes in a store does not equal what it is like to wear throughout the day.
srvrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 October 2015, 08:55 PM   #11
joe100

Watch: Explorer
Quote:
Originally Posted by srvrf View Post
I agree with the majority and think you have two basic two options

(1) Try other straps. You'd be surprised how a different strap can change how it fits on your wrist and how it feels to you. You may wish to go the cheap eBay route first and then if you get a style you like, can buy a nicer version if you'd like.

(2) Sell it despite the loss. A watch that you don't like and therefore don't wear is of lesser value than money towards a watch that suits your needs/likes better. We've all been there and sold watches at a loss that we thought we'd like more. Wearing a watch for 5 minutes in a store does not equal what it is like to wear throughout the day.
Yeah but at the price you're paying for Omega, the bracelet should be more adjustable. Now you can, with a half-link and some time, find a combination that works.
Old 5 October 2015, 09:03 PM   #12
toneafficianado

Sell it and wear the loss..it's no further use to you..plenty of watches out there that you will like more and won't be as frustrating. They are suppsed to make us happy .
toneafficianado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 October 2015, 10:00 PM   #13
srvrf
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: PP/AP/VC
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe100 View Post
Yeah but at the price you're paying for Omega, the bracelet should be more adjustable. Now you can, with a half-link and some time, find a combination that works.

I agree and think there should be some sort of micro adjustment in all bracelets like a glidelock, but you run into similar situations with way more expensive watches. My AP ROC and VC Overseas Chrono have no micro adjusting abilities. AP has a 1.5 link and VC has half links that are really about 3/4 links. So I had to buy two half links from VC at almost $500 to replace a single link to get my half link effect.

srvrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 October 2015, 10:51 PM   #14
chris975d
"TRF" Member

This is why I'm glad Omega added the push button micro adjustment to the new Seamaster 300MC. I actually prefer it to my Subs glide lock adjustment. So easy to use.
chris975d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 October 2015, 11:19 PM   #15
TonyD
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Meteorite Daytona
I don't like dumping hate on any watch but I ended up flipping my PO years ago because of this. I won't buy bracelet watched ever again that don't have push button adjustments.

The silly thing is I have a Ploprof which is HUGE but it sits so nicely and the clasp is fantastic. I wear it every day for weeks on end and just love it.
Old 6 October 2015, 01:38 AM   #16
rockmastermike
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 1982 16750
agree with the lack of micro adjustments, but that being said, I was lucky to get a perfect fit with a half link so it doesn't bother as much as I thought it would.

RE: thickness, yeah it's a little deep but it's not my daily wearer so I get along with it just fine when it comes up in rotation.

Different straps won't change the thickness, but may change how comfortable it wears.
Try some options, or a half link before giving up on it.

In the end - wear what makes you happy, life is too short to anything else
rockmastermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 October 2015, 02:33 AM   #17
teamlam
"TRF" Member

No need to complain. Some ppl don't mind the size. Others do. If it's too thick for your personal taste, just don't buy it.
It's as easy as that.

teamlam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 October 2015, 03:34 AM   #18
aardvarkbark
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlippy4 View Post
....but without comfor what do you have?

Just my 2 cents.
Marketing. Which convinced you to overlook the hockey puck thickness until after they had your money.

You're not alone, that's for sure.
aardvarkbark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 October 2015, 04:53 PM   #19
NigeG
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many
My two pence worth...

I bought my PO8500 42mm on a whim. I didn't really think about the depth or weight of it at the time. I just accepted that this was how it is.

I love it, I love the physical size of it and I don't find it uncomfortable. I love the way it catches the sunlight and reflects it back. I love the fact that I know it's there because of the presence. It really does float my boat.

I don't wear it as my daily beater. I'll wear it occasionally for work, sometimes just at weekends and sometimes if I'm going out somewhere special.

I do change the strap from time to time. The bracelet is currently in the box and the watch is wearing a good quality NATO. Have to say this is my favourite combo right now. I also have a nice leather strap and deployment.

My advice to the OP would be put it on a cheap NATO to try it and then invest in a better quality one if it works for you.

Cheers
NigeG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 October 2015, 12:23 AM   #20
uscmatt99
"TRF" Member

It all comes down to preference. POC 9300 was my first nice watch, and I wear it pretty much every other day, the 214720 other days, occasionally a G-shock. In the summer I switch between rubber and NATO straps and in the colder months I keep it on the bracelet. I'd love a microadjustable bracelet, but overall find the bracelet comfortable. I got lucky that the size was just right for me during cooler months. Short lugs allow it to look just fine on my 6.75" wrist with no overhang.

The thickness of the watch is it's downfall to be sure. I think it's fine for the aesthetic of a dive watch, but I wouldn't buy a dress watch from Omega with these thickish auto movements.

However I can't complain about the movement or construction otherwise. Mine is +4s per day regardless of position or whether it's worn, quick-set hour while the seconds are running for time zone changes, quick-ish date set, chrono pushers usable underwater (for breath-holding competitions of course!), highly legible dial and hands, dual lume color, bicompax subdials, ceramic bezel insert. What's not to like?
uscmatt99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2015, 10:27 AM   #21
MrJ320
"TRF" Member

Watch: IG: @j.project
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris975d View Post
This is why I'm glad Omega added the push button micro adjustment to the new Seamaster 300MC. I actually prefer it to my Subs glide lock adjustment. So easy to use.
Agree. The new micro adjustment on the 300M bracelet is amazing and definitely on par with glidelock.
MrJ320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2015, 09:47 AM   #22
jrs146
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me Nae Nae
That PO is only one model within a lineup of very nice watches. I 100% agree that it's too thick. So after trying one one I decided not to buy it. However I felt no discord towards Omega because it wasn't s good fit.

That being said... If you don't LOVE it... Take the hit and flip it. What's the point of owning a watch that you aren't digging?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 20 October 2015, 01:11 PM   #23
Rowlf
Banned

Flip it!

I couldn't believe how tall it was compared to the 2500. It seemed to orbit the wrist.

I lost money on it too, because I didn't try it on before buying it (same thing happened with a Sea Dweller).

Lesson learned.

Cheers,

Ben
Rowlf is offline   Reply With Quote