The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 13 July 2008, 12:20 AM   #1
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
When Will We HAVE To Go Aftermarket..

With all the new offerings coming out of Rolex lately..

The new GMT ceramic, the latest Sub Ceramic...The SD ceramic..

The announced discontinuation or phase-out of 15xx parts and repair....

It seems like it is just a matter of time before Rolex won't be supporting movements and bezel inserts........Possibly even acrylic crystals..

At what point do we have to go aftermarket for our parts....... ??

Will the quality of aftermarkets meet OEM... ??
Old 13 July 2008, 12:34 AM   #2
Dan Pierce
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex-1 Tudor-3
It's a real shame Rolex doesn't value it's vintage pieces. A vintage Rolex will always be in demand and it will never hurt new sales.
dP
The Crown & Shield Club
Honorary Member of P-Club
Dan Pierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2008, 12:35 AM   #3
frostie
1,000,000th PostMember

Ιt will have an effect on the profit that rolex is making in many ways

As i have said many times it is not cost effective for a business to have two separate manufacturing technologies

Rolex is refreshing it's manufacturing procedures and equipment it is very expensive in the beginning but in the long term you are experiencing profit due to the economies of scale as all of it's watches are manufactured under the same technology + they will not have to produce extra parts since ceramic bezels can take a lot of punishment.

From a business perspective this is what rolex is doing

From a marketing point of view they are trying to facelift all of their watches without destroying that much the classic design which is their trademark and that's what other manufacturers are doing too so rolex has to change some things or else competitors will have a bigger slice of the market.

Last but not least rolex is trying to re-establish itself as a luxury watch in the affluent market as many competitors like PP,VC, Ulysse nardin, jaeger are dominant there

GMT - Master II C - 116710 LN

Last edited by frostie; 13 July 2008 at 12:43 AM.. Reason: Add Info
frostie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2008, 12:41 AM   #4
JimSnyder
"TRF" Member

Watch: Ask me later.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Pierce View Post
It's a real shame Rolex doesn't value it's vintage pieces. A vintage Rolex will always be in demand and it will never hurt new sales.
dP
x2
Old 13 July 2008, 12:50 AM   #5
f16570
"TRF" Member

Watch: Exp II White Face
Well put Velitsko, perhaps they will realise how much their heritage is worth one day.
Old 13 July 2008, 12:53 AM   #6
frostie
1,000,000th PostMember

Quote:
Originally Posted by f16570 View Post
Well put Velitsko, perhaps they will realise how much their heritage is worth one day.
Zillions of euros and that is just my rough estimate

We are facing a transition period we just gotta get used to it

In 20 years it will be like it never happened

The interesting thing though is that they will have the chance to boost up sales as they will be able to offer old and new models at the same time until they empty their warehouses from the old models that they were producing.

Old rolex fans will start buying the older models and new rolex fans like myself will buy the new stuff so this = Revenues for Rolex

Old 13 July 2008, 01:39 AM   #7
mike
"TRF" Member

Velitsko, you make some excellent points. Rolex is in a transitioning stage. One that I'm not totally opposed to. More than one collector has indicated we are on the cusp of a new era that will have the best of the old and the new. The phasing in of the maxi-dial is but one aspect of this.

However; to chip in on Larry's original post and to echo Dan's statement, it is a crying shame Rolex is turning it's back on the very references that brought them to the place they are. These are some of the watches that made history and as such should always have an avenue of repair and maintance with the mothership.

As I've said before, in great measure the legacy that is Rolex has in some sense fallen to the collector to preserve. Thankfully parts for these common calibers exist and will continue to do so for some time. It is the factory support that is being curtailed.

I'm one of the "nature abhors a vacuum" guys. At some point (and I think it's already begun) collectors will accept the work of select master watchmakers
to service, and make, parts for these treasured pieces. Certainly originality will always reign supreme with some, but having a watch that runs is a lot better than one that doesn't.
mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2008, 01:44 AM   #8
frostie
1,000,000th PostMember

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike View Post
Velitsko, you make some excellent points. Rolex is in a transitioning stage. One that I'm not totally opposed to. More than one collector has indicated we are on the cusp of a new era that will have the best of the old and the new. The phasing in of the maxi-dial is but one aspect of this.

However; to chip in on Larry's original post and to echo Dan's statement, it is a crying shame Rolex is turning it's back on the very references that brought them to the place they are. These are some of the watches that made history and as such should always have an avenue of repair and maintance with the mothership.

As I've said before, in great measure the legacy that is Rolex has in some sense fallen to the collector to preserve. Thankfully parts for these common calibers exist and will continue to do so for some time. It is the factory support that is being curtailed.

I'm one of the "nature abhors a vacuum" guys. At some point (and I think it's already begun) collectors will accept the work of select master watchmakers
to service, and make, parts for these treasured pieces. Certainly originality will always reign supreme with some, but having a watch that runs is a lot better than one that doesn't.
Nice post

Collectors will suffer a bit since as you mentioned they will have to find master watchmakers

Too bad that rolex is turning it's back to their heritage but business is business i know that this sounds hard but that's how things are.

Old 13 July 2008, 02:52 AM   #9
rpryan55
"TRF" Member

Watch: SubND,DD,SSDaytona
A shame it is. Patek will fix any watch it has manufactured in its 169 year history (yes, it has more of a "history" than Rolex) and replace and/or re-manufacture any part for your vintage piece. Perhaps this (and the fact that they are known for "jacking up" the bids on Antiquarium) explains why no Rolex has ever surpassed the value of the highest Patek.

Actually, if Rolex were to act a bit more like Patek (and other brands) in regards to their vintage pieces, they would increase their profits, not decrease them. Just my $0.02.
rpryan55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2008, 03:20 AM   #10
frostie
1,000,000th PostMember

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpryan55 View Post
A shame it is. Patek will fix any watch it has manufactured in its 169 year history (yes, it has more of a "history" than Rolex) and replace and/or re-manufacture any part for your vintage piece. Perhaps this (and the fact that they are known for "jacking up" the bids on Antiquarium) explains why no Rolex has ever surpassed the value of the highest Patek.

Actually, if Rolex were to act a bit more like Patek (and other brands) in regards to their vintage pieces, they would increase their profits, not decrease them. Just my $0.02.
There is something missing here and it is really important

Patek is manufacturing 13,000 watches per year if i am not mistaken whereas rolex is manufacturing 800,000 watches a year and probably rolex is servicing 200,000 watches a year.

Patek has the ability to produce vintage spare parts for their vintage watches since their production is not 24/7 like rolex whereas rolex doesn't have the time to produce any spare parts as they are on a non-stop production all the time since they have to cover the huge demand all around the world.

So from a manufacturing perspective rolex is searching for a higher and faster automation of the manufacturing procedure.

In other words it is impossible to produce spare parts for all of the watches that you've manufactured firstly when you have such a huge production schedule every year and secondly when there are variations on the movements since a 2006 rolex movement is a lot more different than a 1960 rolex movement

All of their moves are completely justified

It's all part of the game and the game for rolex is to be No.1

Old 13 July 2008, 03:34 AM   #11
rpryan55
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by frostie View Post
There is something missing here and it is really important

Patek is manufacturing 13,000 watches per year if i am not mistaken whereas rolex is manufacturing 800,000 watches a year and probably rolex is servicing 200,000 watches a year.

Patek has the ability to produce vintage spare parts for their vintage watches since their production is not 24/7 like rolex whereas rolex doesn't have the time to produce any spare parts as they are on a non-stop production all the time since they have to cover the huge demand all around the world.

So from a manufacturing perspective rolex is searching for a higher and faster automation of the manufacturing procedure.

In other words it is impossible to produce spare parts for all of the watches that you've manufactured firstly when you have such a huge production schedule every year and secondly when there are variations on the movements since a 2006 rolex movement is a lot more different than a 1960 rolex movement

All of their moves are completely justified

It's all part of the game and the game for rolex is to be No.1
Frostie, I hate to disagree, but Rolex, being bigger, has the funds to hire more people, create or buy more machinery, to service their vintage pieces. It is, in fact, possible to produce spare parts for all of the watches you've manufactured - their production schedule, and their different movements, would not stop a committed company from manufacturing the parts (and that could be done on an individual basis) for their vintage pieces. They're hardly overworked - and they surely have the money to do this. This is a choice they've made because they want their customers to buy new, not to savor old. That philosophy worked for them for years.

Unfortunately, the watch business has changed - now, a watch company's present collection is valued by how they treat their earlier offerings. And Rolex is losing its image because of their refusal to treat their prior products with the reverance that they demand of their current line. Just my $0.02.

Oh, and Patek releases about 35K or so watches per year currently, give or take.
Old 13 July 2008, 03:41 AM   #12
frostie
1,000,000th PostMember

Quote:
Frostie, I hate to disagree, but Rolex, being bigger, has the funds to hire more people, create or buy more machinery, to service their vintage pieces. It is, in fact, possible to produce spare parts for all of the watches you've manufactured - their production schedule, and their different movements, would not stop a committed company from manufacturing the parts (and that could be done on an individual basis) for their vintage pieces. They're hardly overworked - and they surely have the money to do this. This is a choice they've made because they want their customers to buy new, not to savor old. That philosophy worked for them for years.

Unfortunately, the watch business has changed - now, a watch company's present collection is valued by how they treat their earlier offerings. And Rolex is losing its image because of their refusal to treat their prior products with the reverance that they demand of their current line. Just my $0.02.
I agree with you but in business you have to be in a continuous production and not to be stationary. Even if they had invested money on making themselves bigger and creating a factory just for producing vintage spare parts they would just pleasure a small portion of followers as most of rolex owners are not vintage owners and since there are master watchmakers that can service watches that are out of spare parts they couldn't care less. Lastly they like the fact that people will rush to buy new watches instead of servicing their old ones

They prefer to have 5.000 or 10.000 (don't exactly remember the number) employees and have such huge profits

Old 13 July 2008, 03:43 AM   #13
rpryan55
"TRF" Member

Quote:
They prefer to have 5.000 or 10.000 (don't exactly remember the number) employees and have such huge profits
Agreed. But I think it's a dumb business decision on their part, and I think it's de-valuing the brand. But that's just my opinion, and I've been catastrophically wrong about this kind of thing before.
Old 13 July 2008, 03:44 AM   #14
frostie
1,000,000th PostMember

Quote:
Agreed. But I think it's a dumb business decision on their part, and I think it's de-valuing the brand. But that's just my opinion, and I've been catastrophically wrong about this kind of thing before.
Dumb or smart it is working my friend and they are having huge profits

Old 13 July 2008, 04:49 AM   #15
Baptistman
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Last but not least rolex is trying to re-establish itself as a luxury watch in the affluent market as many competitors like PP,VC, Ulysse nardin, jaeger are dominant there
Nicely put (the whole post) Wonder why they can't set up a vintage company like Omega have done
Old 13 July 2008, 04:57 AM   #16
frostie
1,000,000th PostMember

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baptistman View Post
Nicely put (the whole post) Wonder why they can't set up a vintage company like Omega have done
I don't know why maybe they don't feel threatened in the market or maybe there is no need since they sell all of their new watches

Old 13 July 2008, 06:32 AM   #17
AJF

Watch: 15223
I spoke to Rolex UK and they told me they would service and repair watches that were manufactured going back to the 1950's

Are US RSC refusing to servce older watches? I did not think there was a problem getting them to service these watches.

AJF.
AJF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2008, 08:32 AM   #18
mike
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJF View Post
I spoke to Rolex UK and they told me they would service and repair watches that were manufactured going back to the 1950's

Are US RSC refusing to servce older watches? I did not think there was a problem getting them to service these watches.

AJF.
Aly,

RUSA still services 15xx movements subject to parts availability. (Though I've heard 1580 movements might be problematic). 10xx movements are a no go to my knowledge.
One of problems here as opposed to our overseas friends is RUSA's forcing more and more hands and or dial changes. Additionally "Exotic" dials are an issue with RUSA. References like the 1680 RED, 1655, etc... raise issues even though the movement is the same as in other references.

I had NY RSC service a 1680 WHITE with no problem yet I was refused service on a RED two weeks later with the explanation "We don't service those".

Dallas RSC on the other hand had no problem with service on the RED. As I understand it now BH RSC is the best shot for these pieces, but at the lack of warranty.

The two Independent Rolex service centers in Chicago and San Francisco offer a bit more leeway--so far, but who knows for how long.

It's more a matter of doing your homework before hand...at least for now.
Old 13 July 2008, 09:11 AM   #19
Spark
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too Many
Personally I think Rolex as a company can serve both very well.
Sales are of course top priority, but machines punching out bezels for the older Subs, GMTs or movement parts for the 1500 series movements is not going to cost them anything in real terms especially labour, which is the most expensive part of any business operation.

I don't think Rolex want to put themselves in the Luxury bracket either not entirely anyway, as they would need to down production and raise their prices considerably.
Patek Philippes bottom line watch is around £6750 GBP while Rolex's is around £1800 GBP.
They are not even close.
Luxury is exclusive and expensive, Rolex are not exclusive and not expensive compared to some.
They do of course have very expensive pieces, but you can pay £65000 GBP for a quartz Jacob and Co watch if it has enough diamonds on it, exclusive POS IMO, but some people love them (David Beckham you should be ashamed of yourself).
Rolex could easily give their vintage watches good service back up, make good profits servicing them and selling parts without damaging their future sales, but they have yet to realise it.
I have spent £2000 GBP in the past year with RSC Bexley, but they wouldn't have had a penny out of me if I wasn't having my existing watches serviced as I am not in the market for a new one.
Just my tuppence worth
Spark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2008, 09:12 AM   #20
HYDROMAROC
"TRF" Member

Watch: me pass...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tools View Post
With all the new offerings coming out of Rolex lately..

The new GMT ceramic, the latest Sub Ceramic...The SD ceramic..

The announced discontinuation or phase-out of 15xx parts and repair....

It seems like it is just a matter of time before Rolex won't be supporting movements and bezel inserts........Possibly even acrylic crystals..

At what point do we have to go aftermarket for our parts....... ??

Will the quality of aftermarkets meet OEM... ??
What is the time frame on parts and service on the models...I know that the law on cars is 10 years for parts availibility after a vehicle is discontinued. Is there any standard on watches...????

I would hate to think that a watch could be considered "obsolete" after a certain point...
HYDROMAROC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2008, 09:54 AM   #21
cmr
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HYDROMAROC View Post
What is the time frame on parts and service on the models...I know that the law on cars is 10 years for parts availibility after a vehicle is discontinued. Is there any standard on watches...????

I would hate to think that a watch could be considered "obsolete" after a certain point...

i don't know how they are doing it but the auto manufactures are getting out of having to supply parts for 10 years. i have a 1998 lincoln mark vlll and a 1999 oldsmobile aurora. there have been many parts unavailable on those 2 cars for 3 years now. 2 years ago i couldn't buy new fog lamp assy's for the olds and that is a high sale item due to front impacts. likewise on the lincoln, haven't been able to buy new hid headlight bulbs or capsules for 3 years now. there are lots of parts for those 2 cars unavailable now. they are doing something to get around that law.

OA-Black dial SS Daytona, V-White dial SS Daytona, Z-GMT2C
Wife, Z-Platinum Yacht Master, Black ceramic White dial SS Daytona,
cmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2008, 11:00 AM   #22
rpryan55
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spark View Post
Rolex could easily give their vintage watches good service back up, make good profits servicing them and selling parts without damaging their future sales, but they have yet to realise it.
I have spent £2000 GBP in the past year with RSC Bexley, but they wouldn't have had a penny out of me if I wasn't having my existing watches serviced as I am not in the market for a new one.
Just my tuppence worth
Well said (the entire post) -
Old 13 July 2008, 11:46 AM   #23
etp095
"TRF" Member

i better get my 1575 to the rsc soon after reading this post.i might drop it off in dallas on my way home from colorado.
pepsi gmt for dad(D)
polar expy II(z)
1675 gmt circa 68'
ladies datejust on jubilee for mom (z)
sea dweller16600(M)
SS Sub-C(g)
Omega Planet Ocean,45.5 on mesh(2500D)
etp095 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2008, 12:22 PM   #24
fear
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Pierce View Post
dP
That's the weirdest thing. You'd think that Rolex would service vintage like PP, even Omega. Yes, I understand that Rolex needs to be efficient and maximize their profits by not servicing a watch after it's been discontinued for 25-30 years. Servicing many vintage watches will eat into Rolex productivity.

So, some guy has a COMEX, he wants to wear it but Rolex does not service anymore. Replacement parts are available but not Rolex parts. What does a WIS do? 1) Keep the COMEX in a box-and like stamps- people can look at it? 2) Service and fit it with non-rolex parts knowing that the watch ain't pure? 3) Cannibalize other vintage to service the COMEX?

Why can't Rolex set up (or outsource) a branch that's independent of current manufacturing which services only vintage/discontinued watches? Give all the old parts and machinery to that branch and they can do all the vintage/discontinued repairs, make/outsource parts.... This repair facility will still have the Rolex imprimatur and the value of these vintage will not be affected. Rolex may make money off of it too?
fear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2008, 01:21 PM   #25
rpryan55
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fear View Post
Servicing many vintage watches will eat into Rolex productivity.
This is what I don't get - Rolex hires more watchmakers, fixes its vintage watches and charges enough for that service to pay for the additional watchmakers it hired. How does this eat into their profits or reduce their productivity? I guess I just don't get it - can someone explain how repairing vintage watches hurts Rolex?
Old 13 July 2008, 01:36 PM   #26
mike
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HYDROMAROC View Post

The general rule has been 30 years after the reference/movement is discontinued. I don't know that it's strictly enforced. Again more of a parts availability issue.
Old 13 July 2008, 01:43 PM   #27
Denny M

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike View Post
The general rule has been 30 years after the reference/movement is discontinued. I don't know that it's strictly enforced. Again more of a parts availability issue.
So how long can we expect Rolex to service the 16610 Subs, Sea Dwellers etc?

With the new improved ceramic bezel, maxi dial models coming out now, are the above considered discontinued? Or does discontinued mean when a line is completely dropped not just modified?
Denny M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2008, 01:45 PM   #28
Art161
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sundial
I read some time ago that Mercedes set up a facility in Southern California that will service any Mercedes vehicle, no matter how old. If a needed part is not available, they will manufacture one. I don't have any idea how much this costs the consumer. Undoubtedly a lot!!!

I don't know how this would go over for Rolex watches. If it's a money maker, then Rolex could do it. If Rolex doesn't think it will be a money maker, then they won't. I don't think Rolex is sentimental about its vintage watches. They just want to make the money.
Member #13992 HM Power to the Superlative Panda, officially certified! HMPanda eats, shoots and leaves.
Rolexers do it with perpetual movements.
Art161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2008, 01:49 PM   #29
mike
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny M View Post
So how long can we expect Rolex to service the 16610 Subs, Sea Dwellers etc?

With the new improved ceramic bezel, maxi dial models coming out now, are the above considered discontinued? Or does discontinued mean when a line is completely dropped not just modified?
I think for a very long time indeed. Rolex makes a lot more watches today than they did before. Parts for 3xxx movements will be around long after we "need" them. LOL!
Old 13 July 2008, 01:50 PM   #30
cmr
"TRF" Member

since i can't afford a comex sub or a drsd i have to stay with the newer stuff. i am 50 so i figure it like this, any rolex i buy will be able to be serviced as long as i am alive so i don't need to worry about it. even if i land a 10 year old yg day date i figure i am good to go.

OA-Black dial SS Daytona, V-White dial SS Daytona, Z-GMT2C
Wife, Z-Platinum Yacht Master, Black ceramic White dial SS Daytona,
cmr is offline   Reply With Quote