The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 23 February 2016, 09:01 AM   #1
silas
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer 1. 114270
Icon7 London Servicing

Hi all, Can anyone recommend a London service centre? Should I automatically go to an AD? I have a Rolex Explorer 1, purchased new in 2008. It hasn't had a service yet. If I take note of the recommended intervals, 3-5yrs, looks like it's long overdue. It does lose time (+3mins), but has done so for quite a while. Was too lazy to sort out under warranty. Should I go directly to AD, or are there reputable independents in London worth checking out. Asking mainly because of potential servicing cost. But guess, to get quality care, have to bite the bullet?

Shailesh
silas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2016, 09:05 AM   #2
sub LV 443
Banned

The recommended interval is 10 years now.. This applies to all Rolexes not just watches sold since the warranty increased
sub LV 443 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2016, 09:23 AM   #3
Petay
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariner 114060
As has been said the recommended service interval is 10 years now so unlikely you will need a full service. Interestingly when speaking to the lady in the Bond Street Rolex boutique today she said the reason the warranty went to 5 years with the full service interval moving to 10 was because they were getting so many back after 4-5 years for a full service that only really needed a small adjustment and a polish that they decided to up the warranty so the accuracy adjustments could be done under warranty and prevent the need for a un-needed service.

Independents are a mixed bag in London in my experience and usually out to make a few quid in whatever way they can. I would say avoid the well known pre owned dealer in Greys antique market... Looked at a 16600 there over the weekend that had apparently been serviced when they got it like all there watches are apparently.... didn't really have an answer for me when i pointed out the bezel was turning freely without clicking and could be moved in both directions.

I do believe there is a watch maker on site at the Rolex branded boutique at No1 Hyde Park corner so if its just an adjustment to regain better accuracy then they may be able to do it without the delay and expense of a full service.

That aside I have had some good experiences with Watch Religion in Brighton who are always polite and do have an on site watch maker I would also saythey are good if you ever want to sell or trade a watch as i have always had the best prices from them (or a couple of other dealers outside of London) as i am not being hit for the cost of their fancy Burlington address.

good luck and hope you get it sorted.
Petay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2016, 09:24 AM   #4
GMT Aviator
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Take it to the RSC in West Malling. A beautiful facility befitting of the brand and your watch will come back to you like the day it left the factory.
Yes, you'll have to bite the bullet, but the investment in your watch is worth it.
GMT Aviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2016, 09:24 AM   #5
The Joker
"TRF" Member

Take to Rolex service centre, St James Park.

It loses 3minutes, a day, week month?
The Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2016, 09:36 AM   #6
silas
"TRF" Member

Not as attentive as most of you Rolex addicts; loses 3-5 minutes per week. Is that bad? The 10 yr interval is interesting, but I doubt i'll leave it that long. Thanks for the quick responses. Will defo checkout the recommendations.
Old 23 February 2016, 10:32 AM   #7
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by silas View Post
Not as attentive as most of you Rolex addicts; loses 3-5 minutes per week. Is that bad? The 10 yr interval is interesting, but I doubt i'll leave it that long. Thanks for the quick responses. Will defo checkout the recommendations.
Yes, over a minute and I would take it in to RSC in St James.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2016, 04:59 PM   #8
rootbeer7
2024 Pledge Member

RSC St James very good
rootbeer7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2016, 05:10 PM   #9
lee fowler

Watch: GMT
You could try Graham at Superlative Time, he is in W5 and is Rolex accredited.

Instagram: @lee1563
lee fowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2016, 05:25 PM   #10
brettpaul
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex and AP
RSC St James is top notch for sure as members have stated...not sure you need a service maybe just a regulation and a pressure test and you should be fine.

If you don't go to the RSC both David Duggan and Russell Tallerman have outstanding Rolex-certified technicians....used Russell myself for my Daytona.
Old 24 February 2016, 06:10 PM   #11
silas
"TRF" Member

Thanks a lot everyone. Very helpful. I think checking the regulation might be the way to go. St James, here I come!
Old 11 August 2017, 02:24 AM   #12
manman_h17
"TRF" Member

How did it go at RSC St James? I've only been to Superlative Time so I would love some feedback on other places I can go to.
manman_h17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2017, 02:49 AM   #13
Trazor
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sub LV 443 View Post
The recommended interval is 10 years now.. This applies to all Rolexes not just watches sold since the warranty increased
Nowhere does Rolex say that.
Trazor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2017, 07:16 AM   #14
chris duggan
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek 3418
10 years is crazy time to leave a watch without service as the oils will be well dry and cause wear on parts 3/5 is the norm even if the watch is running fine the watch needs to be stripped down cleaned oiled and lubricated ,,
chris duggan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2017, 07:33 AM   #15
JnmEaton
"TRF" Member

Watch: 18038 Presidential
I'm sure Padi will chime in but Rolex has said the average time a person services is 10 yrs. that is not recommended time.
JnmEaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2017, 07:47 AM   #16
Mirx
"TRF" Member

Watch: RLX
Another vote for St.James. They have been fantastic on EVERY occasion in the last 10 years.
Mirx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2017, 08:38 AM   #17
CaveDweller
"TRF" Member

Watch: Timex
There have been times where my 16030 has needed a service in less than three years - and times (like now) where it has happily survived 12 years without one - (currently undergoing a service, opened up for preliminary inspection, and pronounced A1)

Depends how you use it, how often you drop it 15 ft onto concrete and blow the shocks, or whether it leads a somewhat "sedentary" lifestyle.

When they open it up, will they fix it - or make it worse - and at 500 quid a pop, can you afford to get it done at the "recommended service intervals".

Watches are individual things, and should be treated as such - if it's misbehaving, get it serviced - if it's fine, you could probably wait a while.

2008 - yeah - about due, as the time keeping is telling you already - three to five is crazy - it's not a Lamborghini, it's a Rolex (and built to be a lot tougher) .....
CaveDweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 September 2017, 06:45 AM   #18
rbiggs
"TRF" Member

Woah, 10 years? Thats a mighty long time. Like alot of people are saying my vote is for St. James. Impeccable service the times I've been.
rbiggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 September 2017, 07:25 AM   #19
PJ S
Banned

As I’ve pointed out in another thread, not long after the initial announcement of the 5 year warranty, only the first service recommendation is 10 years. That’s the only service interval which has changed.
All subsequent services are still recommended as before – every 5 years.
PJ S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 September 2017, 09:11 AM   #20
Danwealth
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris duggan View Post
10 years is crazy time to leave a watch without service as the oils will be well dry and cause wear on parts 3/5 is the norm even if the watch is running fine the watch needs to be stripped down cleaned oiled and lubricated ,,
I have a rolex dj bought in mid 1970s, sent it for first service in 2009..it is still running within cosc spec
Danwealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 September 2017, 05:27 PM   #21
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sub LV 443 View Post
This is not true Rolex themselves do not set any specific service period and they have never suggested a ten year period. This internet story came from a complete misreading of a Rolex statement.This is what it actually said that today the average Rolex owner have chosen around a ten year service interval before sending watches to be serviced,and its not that Rolex themselves recommended such a period.If you doubt what I state, try and find an official Rolex statement which mentions any specific time period because there is not one. My own preference depending on how the watch is used just use common sense around every 5- 8 years, sooner if accuracy dramatically changes.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 September 2017, 08:53 PM   #22
HogwldFLTR

Watch: Too many to list!
London Servicing? Glad it wasn't what I thought it was.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=808599
HogwldFLTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 September 2017, 09:31 PM   #23
jaySL350
"TRF" Member

Watch: BBG,Hulk,16013,DJB
Quote:
Originally Posted by HogwldFLTR View Post
London Servicing? Glad it wasn't what I thought it was.
ha,ha,, or Servicing London,,,,
that would be a big ask lol,,,jay
jaySL350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 September 2017, 10:16 PM   #24
tamiya
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaySL350 View Post
ha,ha,, or Servicing London
Regular like a Routemaster!
tamiya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 September 2017, 06:11 PM   #25
waXology
"TRF" Member

Good thread, as i'm looking for someone in London too. However I just need my cyclops dome changed to a t38 i've bought. Was bent of a barrel there so wondering if you have to do the full works at RSC or can you just take it in for a plex change?
waXology is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 September 2017, 09:45 PM   #26
Blingtone
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610LV no Rehault
All watches handed in to ROLEX St. James for servicing automatically get sent to the RSC in West Malling (their main work shop), minor issues (strap change, bracelet adjustments etc.) can be done on site at St. James.... just so you know ;)

Nowadays all of our families' watches go to a ROLEX certified watch repairer (with a ROLEX spares account - only genuine parts) in St. Austell, Cornwall great chap, superb work 12 weeks turn around and generally half the cost.
Blingtone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 September 2017, 01:17 AM   #27
moorery2001
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT Master II
How did it go at St. James? Did you need it to be serviced? Or just a normal regulation?
moorery2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 September 2017, 01:40 AM   #28
Peter99
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610LN & 214270
I note some posts are suggesting sending your Rolex for serving to an independent rather than a Rolex Service Centre.e.g. it's half the price etc!
Well, having spent thousands of pounds sterling on a Rolex I just would not dream of sending to anywhere other than RSC, just to save a couple of hundred!
Sounds crazy to me!
Reminds me somewhat of the chap who spends thousands on a BMW then as soon as servicing is required can't get it fast enough to an independent for servicing!
Should have bought a Ford!
Peter99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 September 2017, 03:12 AM   #29
Blingtone
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610LV no Rehault
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter99 View Post
I note some posts are suggesting sending your Rolex for serving to an independent rather than a Rolex Service Centre.e.g. it's half the price etc!
Well, having spent thousands of pounds sterling on a Rolex I just would not dream of sending to anywhere other than RSC, just to save a couple of hundred!
Sounds crazy to me!
Reminds me somewhat of the chap who spends thousands on a BMW then as soon as servicing is required can't get it fast enough to an independent for servicing!
Should have bought a Ford!
Hello! Rolex accredited is as good as sending to RSC - which is why it's Rolex accredited!
My guy worked for and was trained by ROLEX, before going solo - you would not believe the standards he has to meet to get that acceditation, it's not the money for me, it's the 6 - 8 week wait.
Be dismissive if you like but I'm comfortable knowing our 8 watches are in good hands (pardon the pun!)
Blingtone is offline   Reply With Quote