The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Miscellaneous Forums > Pens & Writing Instruments

Old 6 April 2016, 10:48 AM   #1
cpark
"TRF" Member

Just bought my first Montblanc

I just bought my first Montblanc here in TRF from good o'l Jimbones43. It's a Platinum Meisterstuck Legrande Montblanc pen. It's magnificent. I do have a couple of questions since I'm new in the high-end pen world. One is can you use Lysol disinfectant wipes to disinfect and clean your Montblanc or will that ruin/affect the resin or casing? My other question is do you bring your pen with you everywhere? If so how do you carry it around because I don't carry around a bag and my pockets are usually filled (left side has my iphone and my right has my wallet and keys). I don't want to scratch my new pen or damage it so how do you guys go about transporting it around if you do carry it with you everywhere? My last question is when you bring it to work with you do you leave it at work and just lock it up in your drawer or do you take it home with you every night? I'm thinking about in the future just buying another Meisterstuck so I can have one at work always and one at home. Thanks guys!
cpark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 April 2016, 10:51 AM   #2
cpark
"TRF" Member

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1459903892.718687.jpg
Old 6 April 2016, 11:56 AM   #3
Terpmedic
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710 BLNR
I bring my MB everywhere. During the work week it is in my briefcase or suit coat pocket. During the weekend it is clipped on the inside of my shirt. I never leave it anywhere- never know who will take a liking to it.

I don't use chemicals to clean it. Just wipe it off with a soft cloth and it'll be good to go.

As far as scratches, it's gonna scratch if you're using it. It gives it character so don't sweat it. Same like a watch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Terpmedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 April 2016, 11:58 AM   #4
jmiicustomz
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1953 pre explorer
I keep at least one on me all day and sometimes two. I carry all my ballpoint and rollerball pens in my pocket with my pocket knife, keys, and money clip or if I happen to have a shirt pocket, in it. Fountain pens I carry in a single leather pen case that best matches my shoes, belt, and watch band. When I wear suits ( a few times a month) I keep my pens in my right inside coat pocket. They are pens, ment to be used and carried, once the new wears off you will understand better, but like your watches, you buy good pens to be able to use and last, not baby and look at.
jmiicustomz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 April 2016, 12:21 PM   #5
Invictus Maneo
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610
My 149 stays at home. My work environment is NOT conducive to using a nice pen. For work I carry a Pilot Vanishing Point.
Invictus Maneo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 April 2016, 12:21 PM   #6
cpark
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terpmedic View Post
I bring my MB everywhere. During the work week it is in my briefcase or suit coat pocket. During the weekend it is clipped on the inside of my shirt. I never leave it anywhere- never know who will take a liking to it.

I don't use chemicals to clean it. Just wipe it off with a soft cloth and it'll be good to go.

As far as scratches, it's gonna scratch if you're using it. It gives it character so don't sweat it. Same like a watch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you for the reply!! I'm curious to know though which Montblanc is the most durable? Is the meisterstuck pretty durable?
Old 6 April 2016, 12:27 PM   #7
cpark
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmiicustomz View Post
I keep at least one on me all day and sometimes two. I carry all my ballpoint and rollerball pens in my pocket with my pocket knife, keys, and money clip or if I happen to have a shirt pocket, in it. Fountain pens I carry in a single leather pen case that best matches my shoes, belt, and watch band. When I wear suits ( a few times a month) I keep my pens in my right inside coat pocket. They are pens, ment to be used and carried, once the new wears off you will understand better, but like your watches, you buy good pens to be able to use and last, not baby and look at.

Fair enough, I was just worried that carrying my montblanc in my pocket along with my keys would cause it to scratch easily and make it look bad. See idk if montblanc or pens in general look good with character on them as watches tend to do. Is the pen I bought pretty resilient to scratches? Or is there another montblanc that is better ballpoint pen?
Old 6 April 2016, 08:09 PM   #8
jmiicustomz
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1953 pre explorer
They are tough and don't show scratches too easily unless you find a way to put a deep gash in one and I haven't yet. I don't work in the nicest environment either. I manage a pawn shop and am also a gunsmith. My stuff takes a beating, that's why I like to buy decent quality stuff. Enjoy your pen and I think you will find that it will hold up well.
jmiicustomz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 April 2016, 10:35 PM   #9
ColRam425
"TRF" Member

Such a classy pen!
ColRam425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 April 2016, 11:05 PM   #10
NewEnthusiast
"TRF" Member

Watch: Air King/Seamaster
Lovely pen. My MBs usually stay at home. I have a Lamy Safari fountain pen for work so I'm not too upset if it's used by someone else/damage/lifted (intentionally or otherwise). If a MB is coming with me for any reason, it will either be carried in a briefcase or stored upright, clipped into the inside pocket of a blazer/suit jacket.

Scratches are inevitable and give character but the Meisterstuk is pretty hardy (current record is dropping the ballpen down two stories worth of stairs and landing on tiles with only minor scratching) but my main worry is losing it.
NewEnthusiast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 April 2016, 03:54 AM   #11
Lion
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT-II 16710 PEPSI
cpark, glad to see you took the plunge and bought yourself a nice MontBlanc pen. As for durable…..everyones' concept is different…….

The Meisterstuck line of pens along with the Starwalker line I believe can stand up to the day to day usage. But remember if you decide to get yourself a fountain pen…do not let others use your pen unless they are experienced with fountain pens. The reason being it's very easy for someone not used to using a 'Nib' to possibly damage it by pressing too hard or dropping them……..

Also remember a pen that has a resin barrel such as the Meisterstucks can crack when dropped onto a floor or concrete surface. They can be fixed by replacing the damaged piece(s) so be careful. Also understand that with fountain pens the ink will flow nicely without applying pressure to the nib(using a nib feels like the ink flows by gliding across the paper). But also realize a fountain pen should not be used when signing documents where there are copies involved!!!

Take care…..Leo

SS GMT-II 16710 PEPSI(Z-serial#)
THE ONLY DIFFERENCE BETWEEN MEN AND BOYS IS THE PRICE OF THE TOYS!!!
MontBlanc Meisterstuck Doue Silver Barley
MontBlanc Meisterstuck Solitaire Doue Signum
Proud Card Carrying Member of the Curmudgeons.....Yikes!!!
Lion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 April 2016, 04:22 AM   #12
artschool
"TRF" Member

MB make great pens but they are not robust. I have a starwalker which I really like but the black plastic has cracked twice on the cap , so it's been back twice to MB once under warranty and once with me paying.

It has only been used in my office, and I think it cracked when tightening the lid.

So congratulations but just be careful with it!
artschool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 April 2016, 10:56 AM   #13
cpark
"TRF" Member

Great, thank you all for your responses! I really appreciate it!
Old 7 April 2016, 11:17 AM   #14
AstroBoy
"TRF" Member

Watch: TT-Tona/EXII/Tudor
Quote:
Originally Posted by Invictus Maneo View Post
My 149 stays at home. My work environment is NOT conducive to using a nice pen. For work I carry a Pilot Vanishing Point.
LOL! Love the "Pilot Vanishing Point" !

"Life Is Not A Problem To Be Solved But A Reality To Be Experienced"

"JJ - Your smile takes all my troubles away!"
AstroBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 April 2016, 12:12 PM   #15
Invictus Maneo
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610
Quote:
Originally Posted by AstroBoy View Post
LOL! Love the "Pilot Vanishing Point" !
I do too! I shouldn't have indicated it's not a "nice" pen because it's great. I have a 1.0 stub in mine and I get a lot of compliments on my charting. I'd love to be able to use a traditional fountain pen at work but all the cap-on/cap-off doesn't make it very practical. The VP fills the void until I get home and then I start using my Montblanc!
Invictus Maneo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 April 2016, 04:25 PM   #16
Bisquitlips
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: YM Deep Space
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion View Post
cpark, glad to see you took the plunge and bought yourself a nice MontBlanc pen. As for durable…..everyones' concept is different…….

The Meisterstuck line of pens along with the Starwalker line I believe can stand up to the day to day usage. But remember if you decide to get yourself a fountain pen…do not let others use your pen unless they are experienced with fountain pens. The reason being it's very easy for someone not used to using a 'Nib' to possibly damage it by pressing too hard or dropping them……..

Also remember a pen that has a resin barrel such as the Meisterstucks can crack when dropped onto a floor or concrete surface. They can be fixed by replacing the damaged piece(s) so be careful. Also understand that with fountain pens the ink will flow nicely without applying pressure to the nib(using a nib feels like the ink flows by gliding across the paper). But also realize a fountain pen should not be used when signing documents where there are copies involved!!!

Take care…..Leo
Leo is correct on the resin frailty.

I once dropped my MB BP on a concrete floor at work and it shattered into about 8 pieces.

Just a heads up.

Oris TT1 Pro Diver Regulator 43MM
Bisquitlips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 April 2016, 05:28 PM   #17
scimps
Banned

I have mine wedged inside a flimsy leather diary secured by an elasticated strap... Both go everywhere.

The pen is protected - and I never got into the iPhone. Electronic week planners so I enjoy a nice change in diary once a year
scimps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 2016, 11:00 AM   #18
rSm00th
"TRF" Member

Congrats!
rSm00th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 2016, 12:23 PM   #19
Rebel
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor Sub 75090
Bought mine over 25 years ago. Still going strong.
Old 12 April 2016, 03:02 AM   #20
Lion
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT-II 16710 PEPSI
I look at my fountain pens as being writing instruments to be used on a daily basis. Will they show the effects of carrying and using, yes. For instance, after 5 years, the plating on the cap of my MontBlanc Meisterstuck Solitaire Doue Signum has been showing pitting and wear from being carried in shirt pockets in Winter. And in the Summertime I just clip it to the inside of the T-shirt I'm wearing so it does see usage(and to some they might feel I'm abusing an expensive FP)…..

But I bought my FP's to be used and not babied to some degree but I also do not loan out my fountain pens to anyone. As for the cap to this pen when I'm ready I can send it back to MontBlanc to have it re-plated or replaced…however they choose to repair it…..

SS GMT-II 16710 PEPSI(Z-serial#)
THE ONLY DIFFERENCE BETWEEN MEN AND BOYS IS THE PRICE OF THE TOYS!!!
MontBlanc Meisterstuck Doue Silver Barley
MontBlanc Meisterstuck Solitaire Doue Signum
Proud Card Carrying Member of the Curmudgeons.....Yikes!!!
Lion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 April 2016, 03:47 AM   #21
KarlS
Banned

Welcome to the journey
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (97.8 KB, 320 views)
KarlS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 April 2016, 04:03 AM   #22
Lordofrolex
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes Please!
I have a MB and i keep it at home next to my check book. Personally i work at an open desk type of office but if i had a closed door office i would probably leave it at work.

Follow me on Instagram: @b_jakobovich
Lordofrolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 April 2016, 04:32 AM   #23
Draxler
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
Congrats on first MB

Draxler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2016, 09:28 AM   #24
Bisquitlips
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlS View Post
Welcome to the journey
YES!!!!!
Old 15 April 2016, 06:38 AM   #25
OmegaJJH
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & Omega
I have a Meisturstuck Le Grand Platinum RB.

I tried using it in work but was just to worried about it in such a busy environment so I bought a Mont Blanc Cruise Collection. It's (relatively) cheap and perfect for work.

Take a look. Still has the presence of your other pen but at half the price. £150.

My Meisturstuck now stays in my study at home but still gets regular use.
OmegaJJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 April 2016, 08:15 AM   #26
Frosty
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex GMT 1675
I have a Burgundy and a Black Meisterstuck Classic Ballpoint and Pencil set I trade off every couple of weeks. I have worn them in my shirt pocket in the office for years without any problems.

Every once in a while I will spiff them up a bit with a small dab of Semi-chrome and a microfiber towel.

I have three rules at work:

1. Never, ever let anyone else use it. If you do, some one will toss it on your desk as if it were a Bic.
2. When you are done writing, it always goes back in your pocket where it belongs.
3. If you use a fountain pen, keep the cap in your support hand and the pen in your writing hand. When done, put them together, and place the FP in its home.
Old 20 April 2016, 05:04 AM   #27
poker
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
welcome and enjoy the pen
poker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 April 2016, 01:07 PM   #28
Bisquitlips
2024 Pledge Member

And always remember!!!

Keep your first Montblanc pen... no matter what!

I have mine. Purchased in 1988 just before my first trip to Hong Kong! Love it to this day!

I was so poor! Felt guilty for purchasing at a luggage shop before my departure. But to this day it is precious!

There is only one 1st! Keep it! Just do!
Old 22 April 2016, 03:58 PM   #29
Formulansx
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex,Omega,Seiko
I bring my montblanc starwalker ballpoint to work with me now and then. Usually hook it to my belt loop or put it in my back pocket. That seems to be the most scratch free way for how I move around at work. I'll set it on my desk when I'm in the office. I always take it home with me though and I don't typically carry a nice pen with me when I'm out and about outside work. I've been rocking a Porsche design shake pen at work lately since my monteverde fountain pen is down and that one I will leave at work out of sight. I did however pick up a new montegrappa NeroUno linea today and there's no way in hell I'm leaving that at work. I hooked that one to my belt loop today also since I can't dig it out of my back pocket as it falls flat.
Day-Date President, Datejust (flipped), Bluesy 16613, Omega 14kt Seamaster, Seiko Cocktail Time, Seiko Alpinist, REC 901-2 (Porsche 911), REC TTT Escape (Steve McQueen Triumph). A few Bulovas, cars, and fountain pens
Formulansx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 June 2016, 02:51 PM   #30
Covi101
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Sub
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmiicustomz View Post
Where did you get the large pen case from? Or brand/model? Thank you!
Covi101 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
montblanc , montblanc meisterstuck