The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex Watch Gallery

Old 9 March 2006, 03:59 PM   #1
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Watch: ALL SOLD!!
Peek-a-boo Subby !!

Hi guys,

My Subby doesn't like to show it all (unlike our Paulie! ) So he's quite discreet and plays a bit of hide-'n'-seek with me sometimes. Now you see me....now you don't!!

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!

Last edited by JJ Irani; 9 March 2006 at 04:00 PM..
JJ Irani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 March 2006, 04:08 PM   #2
Rto
"TRF" Member

Watch: FPJ-AP-PP-Rolex
JJ,

What is your personal opinion about 16610LV X 16610 SS Black on a collector's point of view?

Even knowing that their differences is in small details, 16610 is a classy and a MUST HAVE for every Rolex guy and at the same time even the LV not being a limited edition, but a comemorative edition with a limited production, it is going to become a limited one when Rolex stop producing it...(this is going to happen sooner or later, because there will be no sense to Rolex keep producing a model that comemorates the 50th anniversary for example 5 years after...don't you think?
Rto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 March 2006, 04:15 PM   #3
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rto
JJ,

What is your personal opinion about 16610LV X 16610 SS Black on a collector's point of view?

Even knowing that their differences is in small details, 16610 is a classy and a MUST HAVE for every Rolex guy and at the same time even the LV not being a limited edition, but a comemorative edition with a limited production, it is going to become a limited one when Rolex stop producing it...(this is going to happen sooner or later, because there will be no sense to Rolex keep producing a model that comemorates the 50th anniversary for example 5 years after...don't you think?
This same question about the LV has been asked on several occasions and nobody has yet been able to come up with the right answer....because there is no right answer. Nobody knows...as simple as that!!

However, on a straight on basis, given the choice between the LV and the 16610 with NO CHANGES WHATSOEVER, then I'd pick the 16610. But my idea of the SUPER ULTIMATE Rolex would be the LV with a BLACK bezel and the same maxi dial.

JJ

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
Old 9 March 2006, 04:23 PM   #4
Rto
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ Irani
This same question about the LV has been asked on several occasions and nobody has yet been able to come up with the right answer....because there is no right answer. Nobody knows...as simple as that!!

However, on a straight on basis, given the choice between the LV and the 16610 with NO CHANGES WHATSOEVER, then I'd pick the 16610. But my idea of the SUPER ULTIMATE Rolex would be the LV with a BLACK bezel and the same maxi dial.

JJ
Ok, but then this SUPER ULTIMATE one would be probably produced when they achieve 75 or maybe 100 years....Maybe all those great small upgrades they did on the LV like maxi dial etc is a signal and test to redefine in small details something new that is being concepted already to the near future.
I just don't think they will do it the same way the LV was done simply changing bezel color, oherwise the LV would loose its comemorative value.
Old 9 March 2006, 04:30 PM   #5
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rto
Ok, but then this SUPER ULTIMATE one would be probably produced when they achieve 75 or maybe 100 years....Maybe all those great small upgrades they did on the LV like maxi dial etc is a signal and test to redefine in small details something new that is being concepted already to the near future.
I just don't think they will do it the same way the LV was done simply changing bezel color, oherwise the LV would loose its comemorative value.
I would hardly call changing that gorgeous black to green something to scream and shout about....let alone commemorative. Mind you, I'm not saying that there's anything wrong with the green. I like the LV as I have seen one in person up close and personal. The GREEN does contrast well with the BLACK dial and the larger hands and markers. But surely Rolex could have come up with something more innovative for their 50th Annivesary Sub!!

The LV is only worth a few extra dollars over the price of the 16610....like say a couple of hundred extra bucks....that's all. To dole out anything more is being robbed....all you'd be paying for is an extra 20 bucks worth of white gold and bugger all else!!

JJ

Old 9 March 2006, 04:38 PM   #6
Rto
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I would hardly call changing that gorgeous black to green something to scream and shout about....let alone commemorative. Mind you, I'm not saying that there's anything wrong with the green. I like the LV as I have seen one in person up close and personal. The GREEN does contrast well with the BLACK dial and the larger hands and markers. But surely Rolex could have come up with something more innovative for their 50th Annivesary Sub!!

The LV is only worth a few extra dollars over the price of the 16610....like say a couple of hundred extra bucks....that's all. To dole out anything more is being robbed....all you'd be paying for is an extra 20 bucks worth of white gold and bugger all else!!

JJ
My father usually says that "you should not change a team that is winning or is a winner"...that's Rolex! They would never do a big change for the traditional models they have now for 50 years with pure success and devotion.
I would say that the maximum they would consider doing would be launching a new model or line with innovation. They would not take the risk, I think.
Old 9 March 2006, 04:42 PM   #7
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rto
My father usually says that "you should not change a team that is winning or is a winner"...that's Rolex! They would never do a big change for the traditional models they have now for 50 years with pure success and devotion.
I would say that the maximum they would consider doing would be launching a new model or line with innovation. They would not take the risk, I think.
Now you're getting it, pal. It's all about change and Rolex does NOT want it....they are very subtle about change and that's why a Rolex will always look the same...year in and year out - it's all about instant recognition!! No matter how old or how new a Rolex is, it must be recognised instantaneously!! And that's the name of the game!!

Old 9 March 2006, 04:55 PM   #8
Rto
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Now you're getting it, pal. It's all about change and Rolex does NOT want it....they are very subtle about change and that's why a Rolex will always look the same...year in and year out - it's all about instant recognition!! No matter how old or how new a Rolex is, it must be recognised instantaneously!! And that's the name of the game!!
Yes, that is it! I just think that they will announce sometime in the near future that they finished producing the LV to keep its value and the recognition of the 50th aniversary, but maybe launching at the same time a new "16610" with some and maybe new details as an evolution of the Sub model (like it happened before...correct me If I'm wrong).
Old 9 March 2006, 05:00 PM   #9
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rto
Yes, that is it! I just think that they will announce sometime in the near future that they finished producing the LV to keep its value and the recognition of the 50th aniversary, but maybe launching at the same time a new "16610" with some and maybe new details as an evolution of the Sub model (like it happened before...correct me If I'm wrong).
I seriously doubt whether Rolex will bother to make any changes in their current SS line-up of fast moving models like the 16610, GMT-II, Exp 1 and II, Daytona, etc. These are flying off the shelves, so why disturb a good thing. At best, they might make some changes in the YG models.

They did well with the changes in their DJ and TOG range with the introduction of better cases and the ALL solid link Oyster and Jubilee bracelets.....good move. But, other than that, Rolex will sail on and sell on!!! And there's not a damn thing the competitors out there can do about it!!

Old 9 March 2006, 05:04 PM   #10
Rto
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I seriously doubt whether Rolex will bother to make any changes in their current SS line-up of fast moving models like the 16610, GMT-II, Exp 1 and II, Daytona, etc. These are flying off the shelves, so why disturb a good thing. At best, they might make some changes in the YG models.

They did well with the changes in their DJ and TOG range with the introduction of better cases and the ALL solid link Oyster and Jubilee bracelets.....good move. But, other than that, Rolex will sail on and sell on!!! And there's not a damn thing the competitors out there can do about it!!
Do you know if the GMT-II aniversary was already released? (I saw already pics here at the forum as well as at ADs catalogue), but do you know if it is already been sold? Price on that? Any small changes besides Gold bracellet, green dial etc...?)
Old 9 March 2006, 05:11 PM   #11
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rto
Do you know if the GMT-II aniversary was already released? (I saw already pics here at the forum as well as at ADs catalogue), but do you know if it is already been sold? Price on that? Any small changes besides Gold bracellet, green dial etc...?)
It comes with green as well as the gorgeous BLACK dial. Haven't seen one yet....but it's out there waiting to be picked up. No idea on the price, but some of these tossers might be of help!!

Yes, the latest Aug. 2005 catalogue does have pics of the new GMT-II in YG.

Old 9 March 2006, 06:20 PM   #12
C.J.
"TRF" Member

Great pic's, JJ I still think you're completely out of your mind, but great pic's nonetheless
Old 9 March 2006, 08:01 PM   #13
mailman
TRF Moderator & SUBMARINER 2024 Patron

Watch: 126610LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by C.J.
Great pic's, JJ I still think you're completely out of your mind, but great pic's nonetheless
Out of his mind? Hell, his mind jumped out and left him back in Bombay.
Old 10 March 2006, 03:37 AM   #14
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Quote:
Originally Posted by mailman
Out of his mind? Hell, his mind jumped out and left him back in Bombay.
Now that was really very funny, Paulie!

Old 10 March 2006, 03:39 AM   #15
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.J.
I don't know whether I should thank you or kick you....but thanks all the same, CJ!