The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 24 September 2008, 09:53 PM   #1
brettpaul
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex and AP
Rolex Service Question

Wise members of TRF....a question....

When I send in my M Sea Dweller for service in a few years, can I ask them to ensure the watch crown is set as an 'upright parker'?

Thanks again for sharing your knowledge!

Brett
brettpaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 September 2008, 09:55 PM   #2
swatty
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: The Game
You can ask , but if they can do it is another matter
swatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 September 2008, 09:56 PM   #3
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by brettpaul View Post
Wise members of TRF....a question....

When I send in my M Sea Dweller for service in a few years, can I ask them to ensure the watch crown is set as an 'upright parker'?

Thanks again for sharing your knowledge!

Brett
You could ask but considerably doubt it,its how the stem screw ends up fitting into the case some line up but the majority don't its not a big deal.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 September 2008, 10:44 PM   #4
hsung

Watch: Daytona
I am also thinking of taking my 1680 for a service after it was "oiled" approx. 7 years ago (what my father-in-law told me) before it was passed on to me. Are there different service options or do you have to request for a particular service ... or will the RSC decide what is required and charge you for the recommended service?

I have read and heard the service takes 3 weeks or so ... is this the normal time it takes for a "normal" service if there is such a thing?

The watch is also still registered under my FIL's name in RSC HK, so do I have to bring the warranty doco with me to the RSC in Melbourne for registration or proof of something?

One last question ... is it possible to get a quote beforehand?

hsung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 September 2008, 11:05 PM   #5
rocco1109
2024 Pledge Member

Hsung...

Quote:
Originally Posted by hsung View Post
I am also thinking of taking my 1680 for a service after it was "oiled" approx. 7 years ago (what my father-in-law told me) before it was passed on to me. Are there different service options or do you have to request for a particular service ... or will the RSC decide what is required and charge you for the recommended service?

I have read and heard the service takes 3 weeks or so ... is this the normal time it takes for a "normal" service if there is such a thing?

The watch is also still registered under my FIL's name in RSC HK, so do I have to bring the warranty doco with me to the RSC in Melbourne for registration or proof of something?

When you take your watch in for a full service, Rolex knows what to do. They will assess the condition of the watch and give you a full quote before starting the work. The standard work includes disassembly, cleaning, reassembly, testing. If any of the inner workings need to be replaced, they'll let you know.

3-4 weeks is normal.

You don't need to re-register the watch under your name because there is no watch register. The watch is not under warranty.

NOTE: Rolex will likely recommend (strongly) that you replace the dial and hands of your 1680. You should DECLINE this as changing those two components will significantly reduce the value of your watch. Ideally don't let them replace any of the original components save for crown, crown tube and/or crystal. They may insist on replacing these last three items in order to ensure waterproofness of the watch. If Rolex INSISTS on replacing the dial/hands you might consider declining the service and taking it to an independent watchmaker.
rocco1109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 September 2008, 11:07 PM   #6
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:

Well make sure they don't touch the dial etc on vintage watches like the 1680 its best to keep it as original as possible.Once any rolex watch is outside its warranty,the papers will not be needed for a service.A full service movement is stripped right down any worn parts replaced you will be charged extra for parts if needed, but they will give you a quote before going ahead.Movement is oiled reassembled checked for accuracy for a few days case bracelet polished to look almost new then you will get service papers and guarantee for 12 months.But Rolex USA might refuse to service watches today of a certain age,service times vary worldwide from 3 -10 weeks.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 September 2008, 11:13 PM   #7
brettpaul
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex and AP
Thank you for all of the very useful information!

Very much appreciated as I continue my education on watches in general, and Rolex specifically.
brettpaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 September 2008, 12:45 AM   #8
Rolex_07
"TRF" Member

I asked to have my winding crown aligned to 12:00 and they did it for me. They said that they could either cut the tube to make it shorter or give me a smaller gasket. I choose the smaller gasket. Just be careful about not winding it too hard.
Rolex_07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 September 2008, 12:04 PM   #9
hsung

Thanks for your advises Rocco and Padi

Someone also previously advised me not replace the plastic crystal as this will also lower the value of the watch ... plus, I believe some modifications are required to fit a sapphire crystal on this old one.

So, RSC will provide a service quote on the spot by just looking at the watch on the outside? I understand the full service involves removing all the mechanical parts for cleaning, but I don't think it's necessary as it only gains a minute every week and I only wear it on weekends now I have the Daytona. A friend told me I can decline on a full service as it will be cheaper ... what is your advice?

I was also told a full service on the Daytona is over AUD1K (approx over USD800). Is this an average price for a Rolex full service?
Old 25 September 2008, 12:08 PM   #10
scottschoe
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Thanks for your advises Rocco and Padi

Someone also previously advised me not replace the plastic crystal as this will also lower the value of the watch ... plus, I believe some modifications are required to fit a sapphire crystal on this old one.

So, RSC will provide a service quote on the spot by just looking at the watch on the outside? I understand the full service involves removing all the mechanical parts for cleaning, but I don't think it's necessary as it only gains a minute every week and I only wear it on weekends now I have the Daytona. A friend told me I can decline on a full service as it will be cheaper ... what is your advice?

I was also told a full service on the Daytona is over AUD1K (approx over USD800). Is this an average price for a Rolex full service?
The "full service" is what your watch actually needs - exterior polish is optional. That price sounds about normal in USD.
Old 25 September 2008, 12:42 PM   #11
mike
"TRF" Member

A saphire crystal cannot be used on a 1680. The reference only came with acryllic. A new crystal is advisable and is normally done at service. Over time acryllic can develop stress cracks that affect it's ability to remain waterproof.

Back from service it will look like this,

mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 September 2008, 12:45 PM   #12
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 SUBMARINER Patron

Watch: GMT's
Quote:
A service for a Daytona is usually much more than a typical chronometer.

In the US, a standard service is about 500US and a Daytona is about 750US
Old 25 September 2008, 03:55 PM   #13
chicagowatchman
"TRF" Member

Watch: Platinum DDMasterp
I have always asked for the upright crown and have always got it from RUSA
Men's SS Cartier Pasha

MEMBER # 5534 USA
CHICAGO IL
chicagowatchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 November 2008, 07:48 PM   #14
hsung

Not in Australia ... the girl at the RSC in Melbourne said it's normal and alright for the crown not to upright despite my request