The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 25 September 2008, 10:15 AM   #1
dimster
"TRF" Member

I visited two ADs yesterday, two totally different experiences....

My fiance and I went downtown yesterday and visited two ADs, in one of which I purchased my SD two months ago.
As we walked into the store of the first AD (where I hadn't bought my SD) we were greeted by a woman who looked like she had seen better days. I politely asked to see the TT GMTIIC and asked about potential insurances and so. The woman didn't have a clue which one was the GMTIIC and was very rude and told me they didn't have it, so I had to point it to her. it was inside the glass counter right in front of her. My fiance constantly kept pulling my arm whispering can we go now, please?. I lost interest so after a quick look at the watch I politely thanked her for her time and left the store.

So we went to the second AD, where I had purchased my SD two months earlier. Neither my fiance or I were particularly well dressed, we were dressed pretty casually. Then my fiance noticed a salesman eyeballing my SD and before she could tell me the seller came and asked us if we needed any help.
Unfortunately all GMTIICs (both SS, TT and YG) were sold out but he showed me the TT one I was interested in that was going to be picked up by another buyer later during the day.
I also told him that I had bought my SD there earlier and asked for potential discounts since I'm a returning customer and he admitted to giving me a small amount off the retail price and that we could discuss it during purchase
Suddenly my fiance spurted out I don't like the watch, it's to much gold and to overstated, maybe when you hit your 30s (I'm 23 years old )
The seller gave me his business card and told me to call him during the week after the delivery. Both my fiance and I left the store with different feelings. I was very pleased and she was disappointed, she didn't like the watch at all.
But she will probably get used to it :D

Two different ADs barely a mile apart from each other and two totally different experiences. My humble opinion is that if I am to pay thousands for a luxury watch, the service at the AD is half the pleasure and experience.
Feel free post your opinions and your AD horror stories :)
dimster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 September 2008, 09:53 PM   #2
cwru32
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT IIC TT
LOL
fiance is right. you are NOT rolex material. At 23, u should read and read and read. no girls no fiance no rolex.
bad boy!
cwru32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 September 2008, 10:00 PM   #3
jdc
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimster View Post
we were greeted by a woman who looked like she had seen better days.
and you are making judgement on how people judge you
jdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 September 2008, 10:16 PM   #4
dimster
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdc View Post
and you are making judgment on how people judge you
At least I greeted her and stated my business in a polite fashion, disregarding the way she looked :)
dimster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 September 2008, 10:52 PM   #5
Rolexitis
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060
I agree totally about different experiences in different AD's even when very close proximity to another. I like when an AD KNOWS what they have in stock and can recite it to you without even glancing at their case. That gives me confidence in their knowledge and shows that they are IN CHARGE of their business operations. I hope you get the one you want when you're ready.
Old 25 September 2008, 11:08 PM   #6
jmsrolls
Banned

I will admit to being spoiled by an Omega AD whose inventory, product knowledge, service, and prices set the highest standards in the industry, bar none.

So last April when I went shopping for my EXPII, I experienced a rude awakening. I had spent some time on the Rolex forums and knew much more than the sales people. Not one of them knew anything about the 3186 movement and all wanted full 2008 MSRP even for a 2007 model.

Now I am 64 years old and dress appropriately for my age. As a matter of fact when visiting two ADs, I was actually wearing clerics (black shirt/white collar) but that attire did little to improve the situation. (I guess vicars are not expected to be in the market for expensive watches.)

In any event, I gave up on ADs and began to look elsewhere. As Providence would have it, I stumbled across a gray market dealer who closely approached the standards set by my Omega AD. He turned all the bad experiences into one quite pleasant and although I do not anticipate another Rolex in my future, I will go to him first and not last.

Fr. John+
jmsrolls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 September 2008, 10:41 AM   #7
hsung

Watch: Daytona
I also had contrasting experiences between an AD and a GM dealer.

First I went into the AD with my wife after work in a suit to inquire about the SS Exp II. After I wore the watch once and put it down on the counter, the shop assistant wiped it down with white gloves and put it back into the window whilst we were still talking to the manager

Next, we went into a GM dealer dressed casually with two young ones in tow. The shop assistant did not put away the Daytona's and DJ's with diamonds away (or wiped them down) whilst we still talking about them, and she didn't flinch when my 5 year old daughter picked it up the DJ with diamonds (as she likes sparkling things). My wife and I were more concern when our daughter picked it up.

I wore an SS Tag into both dealers, and had two young children running around inside the GM dealer's shop. The owner even took time to talked with our daughter, and I bought my Daytona from her the next day
hsung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 September 2008, 10:51 AM   #8
Chozn1
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub and President
Tell your fiance you want to be around to blurt out embarrassing stuff next time she's out shopping for an accessory.

I've had a TT Sub since 23 and a YG day-date when I was 25. Get what you want. I'm 27 now and have had a hard time turning down the TT GMT-c as it is one. sexy. beast.
In search of DayDate
Prior models... Just about everything.
Chozn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 September 2008, 11:09 AM   #9
TimeToGo
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

As you, I expect when I walk into an AD that they know what they have in stock, coming into stock, what new models will be coming out, and more importantly - who a returning customer is. These things should not be taken for granted.

This is an obvious hobby of yours, as most of us will share with you. You may want to share some of this knowledge with your fiancee, so she can share these experiences with you.

Good luck....
TimeToGo is offline   Reply With Quote