The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 13 March 2017, 04:50 AM   #1
Subfiend
"TRF" Member

Watch: Isn't it obvious?
Need Help: Reuniting a son with his father's Rolex

About five years ago, I posted this thread advising the forum that my friend Carl Spencer's Rolex Sea-Dweller was about to be auctioned following his accidental death, which left his family financially devastated: https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=210131

What made this situation even more sad was that Carl had wanted the watch to go to his young son, who was the same age as my son, and his wife just could not hold onto it. Now, however, Carl's wife and son are searching for the watch and hoping to buy it back. I would appreciate any help the forum members could provide. Please forward or share this thread as you think appropriate.

Info:

Carl Spencer was a pioneer in deep diving and ocean exploration. He acquired the watch in 2002, shortly before joining me on an expedition to explore the Titanic in 2003. He wore the watch on dives to the Titanic, Carpathia, and Britannic. Carl died on an expedition to the Britannic in 2009, while leading an expedition to film the wreck for National Geographic. See http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/obit...l-Spencer.html

The watch was auctioned at Fellows' auction of watches in the UK on January 23, 2012, Lot No. 225. The auction catalog is available here: http://www.fellows.co.uk/Vintage-Mod...dtype=listview

The watch's reference number is 16600 T, serial number Y882641.

Had he lived, Carl would have turned 47 yesterday. His son Ben has now come of age. He deeply misses his father and the loss of this watch is painful to him.

Thank you!

About five years ago, I posted this thread advising the forum that my friend Carl Spencer's Rolex Sea-Dweller was about to be auctioned following his accidental death, which left his family financially devastated: https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=210131

What made this situation even more sad was that Carl had wanted the watch to go to his young son, who was the same age as my son, and his wife just could not hold onto it. Now, however, Carl's wife and son are searching for the watch and hoping to buy it back. I would appreciate any help the forum members could provide. Please forward or share this thread as you think appropriate.

Info:

Carl Spencer was a pioneer in deep diving and ocean exploration. He acquired the watch in 2002, shortly before joining me on an expedition to explore the Titanic in 2003. He wore the watch on dives to the Titanic, Carpathia, and Britannic. Carl died on an expedition to the Britannic in 2009, while leading an expedition to film the wreck for National Geographic. See http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/obit...l-Spencer.html

The watch was auctioned at Fellows' auction of watches in the UK on January 23, 2012, Lot No. 225. The auction catalog is available here: http://www.fellows.co.uk/Vintage-Mod...dtype=listview

The watch's reference number is 16600 T, serial number Y882641.

Had he lived, Carl would have turned 47 yesterday. His son Ben has now come of age. He deeply misses his father and the loss of this watch is painful to him.

Thank you!
Old 13 March 2017, 05:41 AM   #2
THC
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Watch: 126333
Would the Auction house help? I know these things are private, but who could not tear up when reading all this?
THC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 March 2017, 07:37 AM   #3
Subfiend
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by THC View Post
Would the Auction house help? I know these things are private, but who could not tear up when reading all this?
No. The auction house will not provide any help.
Old 13 March 2017, 03:38 PM   #4
Kingsking
"TRF" Member

This would be an amazing thing to see, but the odds are so long.
Old 13 March 2017, 03:41 PM   #5
Zak1
"TRF" Member

Honestly, the chances of reunification are slim maybe a lawyer will help.
Zak1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 March 2017, 03:49 PM   #6
rr-nyc
Liar & Ratbag

Watch: Rolex Daytona
Unless this match shows up for sale again, finding it would be nearly impossible without the original auction house's help. Starting a post on Facebook might help get attention to it

Is there video of the auction to at least get a paddle number or a face of the winning bidder?
rr-nyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 March 2017, 03:54 PM   #7
Louis (Toronto)
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yachtmaster & SubC
Sad story. I wonder if inquiring at a RSC would show if the watch was recently serviced. Likely due to privacy issues they cannot disclose the new owners info.

I wonder if a call to the auction house with the details you describe above possibly lead to any leads ??
Louis (Toronto) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 March 2017, 04:34 PM   #8
Cru Jones

Fingers crossed.....
Cru Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 March 2017, 06:44 PM   #9
Subfiend
"TRF" Member

Privacy concerns are a huge impediment for the auction house and Rolex. Public appeals on social media and the media seem to be the best option. With the Titanic and Britannic affiliations, more people are likely to take notice.
Old 13 March 2017, 09:34 PM   #10
kingofthehill
"TRF" Member

I wonder if the auction house would pass a letter or email to the buyer? Surely no confidentiality or data breach there?
kingofthehill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 March 2017, 11:41 AM   #11
rr-nyc
Liar & Ratbag

Watch: Rolex Daytona
I just saw this on my Facebook feed
rr-nyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 March 2017, 11:56 AM   #12
jb335
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Cosmograph Daytona
Just the read the article on Hodinkee. That was very classy of them to do that. I hope the son gets the watch back.
jb335 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 March 2017, 12:49 PM   #13
swils8610

Read the article on Hodinkee today. Very touching. I sadly sold my first Rolex and would do anything to get it back. I truly hope the SD can be reunited with his son. Will try to spread the word. Perhaps reach out to the trusted sellers here for assistance? Perhaps the auction house could reach out to the owner explaining the situation. I don't believe that violates privacy law. The current owner would prob love to reunite the Watch with his son. I know I would.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
swils8610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 March 2017, 01:04 PM   #14
diverdoug
Banned

Watch: YG GMT/blue Sky-D
Perhaps the auction house already contacted the buyer, but the buyer wished to keep the watch and remain anonymous
diverdoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 March 2017, 01:31 PM   #15
G'ed
"TRF" Member

Moral of the story: Don't ever flip your watch unless it's life and death situation.
G'ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 March 2017, 01:45 PM   #16
ugazag
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060
Would it be possible to offer the auction house a commission if the buyer sells it back with unction house acting as intermediary?
ugazag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 March 2017, 01:40 AM   #17
diverdoug
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subfiend View Post
No. The auction house will not provide any help.
This is on the hodinkee website

the Spencer family had reached out to Fellows in December of 2016 about this matter. At the time, Fellows in fact chose not to enact their own privacy policy and reached out privately to the winner of the watch in 2012 on behalf of the family – a noble gesture indeed. Unfortunately, the winner of the sale in 2012 has since sold the watch and was unwilling to divulge to whom it was sold – something he is well within his or her rights to do, and the representative of the family was informed.
Old 17 March 2017, 03:00 AM   #18
Blue_Lume
Banned

Watch: Alleen Rolex
sold it and unwilling to divulge? shady at best.
Blue_Lume is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 March 2017, 03:29 AM   #19
donq
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610,1675,16030
i could understand the seller being unwilling to divulge personal information from a private sale, but couldn't they at least pass on a message to them regarding this story?

Perhaps they would be willing to exchange the watch for an identical model in the same (or better) condition?
donq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 March 2017, 03:33 AM   #20
Etschell
"TRF" Member

Watch: platinum sub
i know it is a sad situation but his Wife sold the watch. unfortunately when you decide to sell something it is usually gone forever. your friend may have wanted her to sell the watch if it meant the difference between being able to scrape by or not.

25 or 6 to 4.
Etschell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 March 2017, 03:37 AM   #21
diverdoug
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by donq View Post
i could understand the seller being unwilling to divulge personal information from a private sale, but couldn't they at least pass on a message to them regarding this story?

Perhaps they would be willing to exchange the watch for an identical model in the same (or better) condition?
A watch that had been to the Titanic with the provenance provided with this watch at auction could make it a prize for many (although I would have never bid on it because of the bad mojo of having the watch that the diver wanted to give to his son - lucky for the family that did not deter the buyer at auction). It costs $20 for a pea sized bit of coal recovered from that wreck, I would certainly trade my brand new DSSD for it plus $$$ cash for that watch (if not for the bad mojo). Who is to say the auction winner did not sell the watch, and just does not want to be pressured to sell it back? Either way, it is a done deal now. At least the family was able to get important funds when they needed them.

Tags
sea-dweller , subfiend , titanic