The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 5 April 2017, 11:08 AM   #1
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega
Dear Rolex: You are a Joke

OK, sorry...I know I am going to piss off some people off with this. I really don't mean to. And I am sorry, but where else am I going to make this comment? I genuinely hope someone from Rolex sees this, even though I am quite certain they could not care less.

I am out of state on business. And after my conference, a buddy and I decide to walk the strip. Of course we see a Rolex store and decide to browse. We meet a really excellent sales guy. He was not overly knowledgable about certain details, but he was polite, attentive and definitely good at what he does.

I finally see the new WG Daytona in blue, which is really an astonishing watch. Anyone out there wearing this watch.... Wow. It is incredible. And krioke, Rolex does blue exceptionally well.

We talk watches for a bit and of course we talk about the new Daytona C. So unless you have a prior sales experience with this AD you are not even on the list. It is not going to happen. Never, ever. If you have a prior sales experience with them, you are likely waiting 7 to 8 years.

OK, wait..what?

As Padi says, this is not a new watch. It is easy for them to make. They can fill the demand, sell a ton of watches and make ton of money...just like most businesses want to do.

They do this for their marketing machine. They do this to create the mystique. And I am sorry, but I just don't respect this. Be a watch company. Make great watches, make people happy selling them great watches.

Do I respect their watches? Yes, they make incredible watches. But this type of sales gimmick just turns me off. Big time. And they have gone from the "tool watch" company to the shiny "look at me" watch company.

I really do mostly love what they put out. And much of what they have has a great redeeming quality to it. But I am just not on board with this.

And yes yes yes...I know, if I don't like it, I should not buy it. Ok, I won't, and I can get one if I want one. It is a forum about Rolex watches and I am making a comment. If you want to respond in kind, great, it is a forum and I will respect and appreciate your opinion.

Sorry to anyone I offend. Rant over.

IG: gsmotorclub
IG: thesawcollection

(Both mostly just car stuff)
Old 5 April 2017, 11:13 AM   #2
CDNWatchNut
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060
I saw the title and I though "troll!"...then I saw your username and post count
Yeah, I hear you, its absurd. Inquired at the local AD here some years ago about a daytona and was told I could buy one if I also bought at Day-Date. Ridiculous...no thanks.
Old 5 April 2017, 11:16 AM   #3
Maiden
"TRF" Member

I respect Rolex's right to restrict supply and demand and run their businees although 7-8 years is nuts. Is there a chance the AD might not have all the facts?
Omega Geneve
Tag Heuer Aquaracer WAY2112
Orient Ray 2
Old 5 April 2017, 11:16 AM   #4
Cerachrom12
Banned

Watch: ing you!
All I can say is a 7 to 8 year wait is ridiculous. I simply don't buy that. If one really wants a Daytona 500, most here can afford to pay the 3 to 4 K markup from DavidSW or Takuya and have it on their wrist the morning after the bankwire. The big question is....How bad do you want one?
Old 5 April 2017, 11:19 AM   #5
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDNWatchNut View Post
I saw the title and I though "troll!"...then I saw your username and post count
Yeah, I hear you, its absurd. Inquired at the local AD here some years ago about a daytona and was told I could buy one if I also bought at Day-Date. Ridiculous...no thanks.
ha. yeah, not a troll. or maybe I am in disguise and this is my coming out party??

Old 5 April 2017, 11:21 AM   #6
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maiden View Post
I respect Rolex's right to restrict supply and demand and run their businees although 7-8 years is nuts. Is there a chance the AD might not have all the facts?
I too respect their right to build their brand and the image. But this is just crazy.

Is it possible this guy was off? I suppose so. But many other accounts on this forum state similar findings.

3-4 years, 7-8, kind of the same thing really.

To me, this is just not OK. And if it is OK with others, I respect that and I am glad for them.

I will take my $$ elsewhere.

Old 5 April 2017, 11:23 AM   #7
rjstuf001
"TRF" Member

Watch: Made in Suisse
Regardless of whether it's 7-8 years or 2-3-4 years, the fact is Rolex is playing peekaboo with the DaytonaC. I agree with OP, they could flood AD's with it and sell every single one of them, but they choose not to. It's nothing more than a marketing gimmick and it's turning off a lot of people.
Old 5 April 2017, 11:23 AM   #8
Danny83
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Yellow Gold
Tourneau in San Francisco told me 7-10 year wait......oh and you have to take the stickers off
Old 5 April 2017, 11:24 AM   #9
Cerachrom12
Banned

Watch: ing you!
Quote:
Originally Posted by superdog View Post
I too respect their right to build their brand and the image. But this is just crazy.

Is it possible this guy was off? I suppose so. But many other accounts on this forum state similar findings.

3-4 years, 7-8, kind of the same thing really.

To me, this is just not OK. And if it is OK with others, I respect that and I am glad for them.

I will take my $$ elsewhere.
You have every right to take your money elsewhere. It's the American way.
Old 5 April 2017, 11:24 AM   #10
breitlings
Banned

Watch: Apple TV
I respect Rolex for limiting output.
Old 5 April 2017, 11:25 AM   #11
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerachrom12 View Post
All I can say is a 7 to 8 year wait is ridiculous. I simply don't buy that. If one really wants a Daytona 500, most here can afford to pay the 3 to 4 K markup from DavidSW or Takuya and have it on their wrist the morning after the bankwire. The big question is....How bad do you want one?
I am pretty certain I can get one from my own AD where I am not a stranger (a very exceptional AD) in a pretty short time.

I would not be willing to pay David (also exceptional) that kind of money. I actually won't pay list for one. I did that once and I did not love the watch.

It is the practice of the mother brand that I am not OK with. I think it sucks actually. And to each their own. I am happy for anyone that is happy with what they get and how they get it. I am not judging.

I am just not OK with how Rolex is going about it.

Old 5 April 2017, 11:25 AM   #12
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by breitlings View Post
I respect Rolex for limiting output.
And I respect your opinion.

Old 5 April 2017, 11:26 AM   #13
Kevin.S
"TRF" Member

Watch: All of them
High demand / control supply = $$$
I agree Seth, I am not a fan of this type of marketing, but it is the way of the world.
seems to be working, a lot of hype over this model.
Old 5 April 2017, 11:26 AM   #14
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny83 View Post
Tourneau in San Francisco told me 7-10 year wait......oh and you have to take the stickers off
that is insanity!!!!

the demand to actually take the stickers off so that you can't do what you want with your own watch??!??!?!

insanity.

Old 5 April 2017, 11:30 AM   #15
porschejeff
"TRF" Member

Watch: DD 228238
Isn't this the same as what Ferrari does? They produce only so many. Very difficult to buy one new without a long long wait and paying a premium over MSRP.

I'm not saying I approve of this, but this is what creates their image.
Old 5 April 2017, 11:30 AM   #16
traf
"TRF" Member

Watch: me ride bikes
I think people are starting to look at other options, i.e. SS Skydweller and new seadweller 43. This will likely have an effect on the overall demand, and the diehards will get their treasure

Sent from my iPhone 7+ using Tapatalk
Old 5 April 2017, 11:31 AM   #17
zaydans
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 116710
I'd agree with everything you say OP and I'm with you 100%. The problem is that there are enough Rolex slaves out there that will pander to this type of sales and marketing bs to ensure that Rolex and their ADs can do whatever they want. Personally I don't need a Chronograph function, and there are sufficient alternatives out there so why wait years or pay over the odds for a daytona?!!
Old 5 April 2017, 11:32 AM   #18
Al1969
2024 Pledge Member

I agree with your "rant" superdog. Also, how bout a bit of consistency from Rolex-ADs?
Is it 3-4 years or 7-8? I have interest in the Daytona, but with all the arbitrary restriction of supply and extreme markups. It's beginning to lose its luster for me.
I'd like to add a chronograph to my small collection, but perhaps I need to look elsewhere.
I appreciate your candor and believe many fellow members share your feelings.
Old 5 April 2017, 11:33 AM   #19
saralk
Banned

Watch: AP Bumbel Bee
It's frustrating to say the least. I hear ya loud and clear. But Rolex has a right to do what they think is the correct business strategy to grow their business in profits while sustaining the aura for their brand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 5 April 2017, 11:33 AM   #20
CDNWatchNut
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060
I don't understand how limiting supply so significantly helps Rolex's business objectives. Perhaps a moderate constraint increases demand, but wouldn't it be better to meet the market demand or at least much closer to it, and sell many more units in a given period of time?
Old 5 April 2017, 11:37 AM   #21
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by porschejeff View Post
Isn't this the same as what Ferrari does? They produce only so many. Very difficult to buy one new without a long long wait and paying a premium over MSRP.

I'm not saying I approve of this, but this is what creates their image.
OK, that is a good point.

As a guy that left a Ford dealership, after years of loyal patronage, because they charged 20k over for a GT350, I am not OK with that type of mark up either. And at least I am consistent. LMAO.

Porsche is doing it too. Almost any dealer that has limited stock and a lot of demand.

IMHO Ferrari is a pinnacle and way out of my reach. But I get what you are saying. And I am not OK with it whoever is doing it. Even if Ferrari is my dream car.

Old 5 April 2017, 11:37 AM   #22
airchitect
"TRF" Member

Watch: A few.....
Yep, its all part of the most well oiled marketing machine on the planet....and its kind of stupid.
Old 5 April 2017, 11:38 AM   #23
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by saralk View Post
It's frustrating to say the least. I hear ya loud and clear. But Rolex has a right to do what they think is the correct business strategy to grow their business in profits while sustaining the aura for their brand.

I agree. They do have the right.

And I (and others) have the right to leave the brand behind (at least for now).

Old 5 April 2017, 11:39 AM   #24
saralk
Banned

Watch: AP Bumbel Bee
Quote:
Originally Posted by superdog View Post
I agree. They do have the right.

And I (and others) have the right to leave the brand behind (at least for now).

Absolutely. This is how we as consumers vote in this great country of ours with our $$$$. Good luck Seth. Enjoy your posts.

Old 5 April 2017, 11:40 AM   #25
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Imagine if they did this on all the popular SS models... some of us don't have to...

I think the D500 has been sacrificed to be the Hype Watch, clearly more profit could be made by meeting the over-demand but this is the D500 tactic in Rolex's overall strategy, same with the previous model, this is designed to get the sales up on the other "Rolex" watches.
Old 5 April 2017, 11:41 AM   #26
airchitect
"TRF" Member

Watch: A few.....
I stopped at an ad yesterday to find a brand new "perfect" sd4k in their case. Tried it on and tried to talk numbers......no discount period. Others would do 15-18% on that watch anyway and be pumped to get it. This joint, nope.
Old 5 April 2017, 11:42 AM   #27
Morrisdog
"TRF" Member

I know it sucks but all luxury brands try and achieve this state of affairs. Those who can't do this wish they could .

Old 5 April 2017, 11:43 AM   #28
MCO1
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona C white
I agree with you but its subjective to the AD, I don't believe they are all this way. I am as equally irritated by by the gray market dealers who are decreasing AD supply while doing it only for excessive profit. I want one and am on the list and will hopefully have one in a year but I will not pay over retail for one.
Old 5 April 2017, 11:43 AM   #29
AU_911tt
⭐⭐⭐⭐
2024 SUBMARINER Sponsor & Boutique Seller

These marketing tactics are largely the reason Rolex is arguably the greatest brand in the world. It also is a big reason why your Rolex watch holds its value more than nearly any other watch.

Rolex could always take the approach of another brand, say Omega, and you'd have plenty of watches and poor resale value.

I do understand your frustration, but it's part of the luxury business. Look in the off topic forum for a recent thread about the new GT3 at 50k over MSRP.
Old 5 April 2017, 11:44 AM   #30
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by saralk View Post
Absolutely. This is how we as consumers vote in this great country of ours with our $$$$. Good luck Seth. Enjoy your posts.

Thank you my friend. I appreciate that.

Closed Thread