The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 13 April 2017, 04:09 AM   #1
sda619
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710 GMT II
Buying first one any last minute advice

So the moment has come...

it all started with wanting to buy a used datejust. And after reading all your stories and style tips and doubling my budget my saga began.

i was going to buy a new GMT II C or a TT blue sub but then my wife was like your not really a shiny flashy guy. I went to the AD fell in love with the Milgauss GV blue was about to pull the trigger on that but I realized i wanted something more low key. I ride the BART daily and i work east coast hours so I have to avoid zombies in the morning.

Which left me to 2 watches Explorer II and 16710 Pepsi. I dont think the Explorer II is ROLEX enough for me. Tho the big face fits me well. Im a big dude.

So 16710 it is. ive been trying to stalk one down on the forum but saw bobswatches put one up for sale yest with box and papers. Figured for my first one I would want to have all the docs.

Thoughts? Comments? Am i just rambling. Its months of research and time coming to this moment. Am I worried that this fun adventure of reading the forum is going to be over...
sda619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2017, 08:42 AM   #2
BrazenC5
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 1665,1675,1680,SD4
It's just the beginning. ☺

It's a popular model, and keeps climbing in value, so if your tastes change its easier to flip down the road, especially with box/papers.

Sounds like you've done your research. Bob's Watches (although I haven't purchased from them) has satisfied customers (I've read on this forum).

Bunch of other well known online dealers, but did a quick search, and the one you're looking at is priced competitively. One thing, is personal preference between 5 and 6 digit models. You can get a preowned 116710LN (not flashy compared to the BLNR) for the same or a bit cheaper than the going rate of 16710 w box/papers.

But sounds like you checked those out already.

If you end up staying on the forum, you'll end up owning several over time..it's just what happens around here. Lol.

Make sure to pick up a Coke bezel insert eventually to switch it up once in a while.

My first Rolex was a pepsi GMT (16700). Congrats on your first "about to be" purchase!!

Make sure you post a follow up with pics of your incoming after you get it!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
BrazenC5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2017, 08:48 AM   #3
Jarton
Banned

Congrats, good health wearing .
Jarton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2017, 09:12 AM   #4
The Libertine
Banned

Watch: 16710;14060;214270
Keep an eye out for ones sold by trusted sellers here on TRF.
The Libertine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2017, 09:27 AM   #5
sensui
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrazenC5 View Post
It's just the beginning. ☺
You'll soon discover how true this really is. Congrats in advance on a fine watch, 16710 are winners.
sensui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2017, 09:31 AM   #6
Will1979
"TRF" Member

Great pick for your first (probably not only) Rolex. Congrats. Sounds like it's time to get off the pot, as they say.
Will1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2017, 09:59 AM   #7
c41006
"TRF" Member

Watch: Pelagos
I think people who are looking for something "low key" tend to overthink things. The truth is that the vast majority of people will never notice the watch you are wearing.

I think a Milgauss is less noticeable than a Pepsi or ExpII.

Go with whatever sings to you the most.
c41006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2017, 10:06 AM   #8
DramaTurtle
"TRF" Member

Watch: Polar Explorer
The 16710 is not exactly under the radar if you don't want bling. It's expensive and the prices have climbed steadily the last few years so best of luck.
Rolex moved to its furthest point of being a tool watch. The new Sea-Dweller and Meteorite GMT seem best suited for raising PGA trophies, and that might be the closest we get to one anyway.
DramaTurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2017, 10:08 AM   #9
THC
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Watch: 16610M
Never worry about the zombies... buy what you like, do not be afraid
THC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2017, 10:10 AM   #10
3130by1213
"TRF" Member

Have you tried one on? If not, might be worth venturing into SF to HQ Milton.
3130by1213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2017, 10:25 AM   #11
Jambo86
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT-Master II BLNR
I would get the GMT now as the prices seem to be steadily climbing. The Exp2 on the other hand is plentiful in terms of availability and you can come back to it later on.
Jambo86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2017, 10:33 AM   #12
locutus49
Banned

Watch: Platona
I have owned Rolexes for over 40 years. The Pepsi is a great choice, the one watch I wished I had owned. It will only go up in value.

Buy from a reputable site, or a trusted TRF seller, even if it costs a bit more because you want confidence in the history. Good luck.
locutus49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2017, 10:44 AM   #13
brandrea

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3130by1213 View Post
Have you tried one on? If not, might be worth venturing into SF to HQ Milton.
I agree with this. 5 digit wear differently than the new ceramic maxi cases.
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2017, 10:52 AM   #14
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
I like the idea of when in doubt buy the most expensive as it is then easier to buy the other watches after that, and in your case I think you will be trading again and staying involved on this forum in the future where temptation is usually not denied for long despite what the wife says...
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2017, 02:38 PM   #15
Rolex_Collector
"TRF" Member

Take it from another big dude there's three current Rolex watches that I feel right at home wearing.

My Yachtmaster 2
My Seadweller Deep Sea
And My Explorer 2

Try some more on step back from the mirror. As much as I love the old school Pepsi it just never felt big enough on my wrist... did it feel tiny? No not at all. Just when I would see my self in pics the old 40mm just looked funny on me almost like I was wearing a bracelet. To give you idea I'm 6'3" 235lbs. My wrists are about 8". Take it from me keep trying them on because if you do not get it right it will cost you to switch.. I wish you the best of luck on your journey!

And PS I used to think Explorer 2 wasn't Rolex enough either now it's one of my faves!
Old 13 April 2017, 03:05 PM   #16
sda619
"TRF" Member

thanks for all the advice. you guys are right. I want to get this first one out of the way so I can build a collection. Bobs ended up selling my watch (bet someone read my post on here and snatched it up) but I didn't want to pay CA tax anyways.

Im always looking on the board. wanted to pick one up on here to build my street cred anyways. Give back to the community so to speak.

Im always drooling at the HQ Milton watches he has some amazing pieces. Going to try and swing by.

My wife is soo tired of watching me "shop" that she is threatening to buy a watch before me. She has been eyeballing a vintage TT DJ.

Ill keep hunting till i find my 16710 and dodging zombies on the train.
Old 13 April 2017, 03:15 PM   #17
rolehex

I also recommend you try on a 16710 first. 16710 is smaller than the GMT II C so you may want the larger GMT depending on your wrist size. If you do end up liking the 16710 more, just don't get caught up on finding a Pepsi because you can easily swap out the inserts to Coke or all black.

FYI, There are two black 16710's at Bob's right now but they have the pictures mixed up. The 2005 is showing holes and the 2001 isn't and one has a scratch on the crystal. So I would ask them to clarify things if you are interested.
rolehex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2017, 04:07 PM   #18
Cru Jones

Buy what you like best, it will make things easier, as you seem to be over-thinking this. So, take a bit more time, because you got convinced by your wife that a GMTIIc is too "shiny and flashy" for you, but then you almost went with a Milgauss, which has even more polished surfaces. The 16170 is certainly less shiny, but it still flashy and very much screams "Rolex!", if that's an issue for you.
Cru Jones is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2017, 04:11 PM   #19
sda619
"TRF" Member

ah dang. yall are right. i need to find somewhere to test drive the 16710. I went to the AD and tried on all the NEW watches. i had figured it was the same size as the GMT II C.

hmm...

I really loved the size of the explorer II and even the DJ II in WG. I just wasnt a fan of the polished bracelet on the DJ or GMT IIC. I generally like things that aren't shiny. I would totally get one but I'm looking for my daily driver first and foremost.
Old 13 April 2017, 04:14 PM   #20
Cru Jones

^ How about a 39mm OP or Explorer? Brushed bracelet and more "under the radar"....

Or, if size really is that important, wait until the new SD43 is in stores later this year.... a good size for you and brushed bracelet.
Cru Jones is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2017, 04:16 PM   #21
maximus1
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
Congrats on you decision to get a Rolex. Make sure that you try on both models before your decision is made. You can get the newer style GMT 2 C with warranty for about the same price as the older GMT. if you have larger wrists you may prefer the larger size. I do not think it is considered flashy. Good luck and enjoy.
maximus1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2017, 04:22 PM   #22
Livermoron
"TRF" Member

Watch: 14060M & 16570
I work downtown in the financial district and it's about. 15-20 minute Bart ride and walk to HQ. They are more than happy to let you try on watches. It's appointment only so call first. I bought my first one with them.
Livermoron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2017, 04:38 PM   #23
sda619
"TRF" Member

I guess as a datapoint I fell in love with the story of the Milgauss. I have been in the energy industry my whole career so I thought it was cool that it was the "electric" watch. I'm in renewable energy now so i thought the GV would be fitting. I like the color blue so it all kind of fit. Makes a cool story no? The polished bracelet and smooth bezel seemed a bit too dressy to be my daily wearer.

I dont mind it saying rolex, I am afterall ecstatic about the brand. Just figured a shiny new watch would attract the wrong kind of attention. SF can get a little sketchy here and there.

Livermoron thanks for the tip. I think they are in the mission.