The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 9 May 2017, 10:22 AM   #1
MrLy
"TRF" Member

Watch: PAM 360
Help deciding my first Rolex

Hello TRF,
My second post here and on a quest to find my first. So I narrowed it down to 16610 or 11670 coke just purely for the looksDon't know a lot about Rolex yet.
Now, I met someone the other day who is selling his Rolex 5513 1984 ser #84xxx around 5k,

Question to you expert, how desirable it this ref 5513 compared to my initial choice. No paper or box but has a Rolex service paper from 4 years ago and according to him he is the original owner . I am planning to see this watch this weekend, what's should I look for aside from the obvious, lugs, serial .. he sent me a quick dirty picture hopefully he'll send some more better one..then I can add it here

Really appreciate your kind assistance..

Cheers,

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
MrLy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 May 2017, 10:41 AM   #2
justjay82
"TRF" Member

The 2 line no date Sub was my first Rolex. Had it about 14 years before I flipped it. Bought it new at the time and sold it 14 years later for more than I paid. Loved wearing it.

justjay82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 May 2017, 10:54 AM   #3
MrLy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by justjay82 View Post
The 2 line no date Sub was my first Rolex. Had it about 14 years before I flipped it. Bought it new at the time and sold it 14 years later for more than I paid. Loved wearing it.

Sorry sir, but what's a 2 line ? Thx for your response.

Old 9 May 2017, 11:26 AM   #4
Slippy Chips
"TRF" Member

In my experience, when you decide what you want but buy something else because it's a good deal or you think others will appreciate it more then you will eventually be disappointed. All are great choices but if it isn't what YOU want the most then you will always feel like you missed out.
If what you really want is the 16610 or 11670 then stick to your desires and look for one of those. Unless you really do enjoy the 2 liner (two lines written above the "6" on the dial vs 4 lines on modern Subs) then by all means go for it.
Slippy Chips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 May 2017, 11:56 AM   #5
dnpina
Banned

Watch: 126610 LV
The answer is always "buy what you like, what you want to wear. " To buy on speculation or what others may appreciate is unwise. Find similar watches and explore prices. With vintage or used watches also, avoid over polished watches . Good luck
dnpina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 May 2017, 12:04 PM   #6
cop414
TRF Moderator & 2024 SUBMARINER Patron

Watch: 14060M
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrLy View Post
Sorry sir, but what's a 2 line ? Thx for your response.

The two line Submariner refers to the two lines of text in the lower section of the dial. This versus the four line that has four lines on the dial. The four lines denote COSC certification. Here's my four line Submariner.
As posted above buy what you want you're better off waiting for what you really want rather than settling. Remember condition is everything and always buy the seller before buying the watch. You might want to take a look at the for sale section here. There are several sellers that could get you exactly what you want.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0165.jpg (79.1 KB, 350 views)

Rolex Submariner 14060M
Omega Seamaster 2254.50
DOXA Professional 1200T

Card carrying member of TRF's Global Association of Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
TRF's "After Dark" Bar & NightClub Patron
P Club Member #17
2 FA ENABLED
cop414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 May 2017, 12:13 PM   #7
HogwldFLTR
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Watch: Too many to list!
First it's a Acrylic crystal Sub which I really like so that is positive. I have the same watch which came out a bit later with sapphire crystal (14060). If you like it, I believe the price is reasonable. Another thing worth noting is that the luminous markers use tritium which has a short half life and will be exhausted so you won't be able to see the markers at night.

Subs are great watches; with a Date they are called Submariner Dates. A lot of people will call the ones without the dates No Dates which is not what they are called by Rolex.

All four line Subs have Sapphire crystals. No 5513 will have a sapphire crystal. That was introduced on the 14060s.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=808599
HogwldFLTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 May 2017, 12:26 PM   #8
ddub66
"TRF" Member

Watch: 14060M
Follow the lead of the folks who've chimed in already...buy what you'll enjoy wearing not what you think it'll be worth. If you want an investment, buy shares of Apple or Amazon and not a watch. Personally I loved the idea of having a 5513 because i dig vintage stuff but I wanted something newer so i bought a 14060m. good luck.
ddub66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 May 2017, 12:49 PM   #9
DLRIDES
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Watch: Me
Buy what you desire for your first.

That being said, I would choose the 5513 over ANY new model. They are becoming collectible and increasing in value. A classic that will never be again !
DLRIDES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 May 2017, 12:10 AM   #10
MrLy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cop414 View Post
The two line Submariner refers to the two lines of text in the lower section of the dial. This versus the four line that has four lines on the dial. The four lines denote COSC certification. Here's my four line Submariner.
As posted above buy what you want you're better off waiting for what you really want rather than settling. Remember condition is everything and always buy the seller before buying the watch. You might want to take a look at the for sale section here. There are several sellers that could get you exactly what you want.
Thank you for the info, I am learning a lot here for sure.
Old 10 May 2017, 12:14 AM   #11
MrLy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HogwldFLTR View Post
First it's a Acrylic crystal Sub which I really like so that is positive. I have the same watch which came out a bit later with sapphire crystal (14060). If you like it, I believe the price is reasonable. Another thing worth noting is that the luminous markers use tritium which has a short half life and will be exhausted so you won't be able to see the markers at night.

Subs are great watches; with a Date they are called Submariner Dates. A lot of people will call the ones without the dates No Dates which is not what they are called by Rolex.

All four line Subs have Sapphire crystals. No 5513 will have a sapphire crystal. That was introduced on the 14060s.
Thank you for this information. I love plexi as i have a PAM 372 ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLRIDES View Post
Buy what you desire for your first.

That being said, I would choose the 5513 over ANY new model. They are becoming collectible and increasing in value. A classic that will never be again !
Thank you, i have seen the 2 in flesh but not a 5513. I will be much informed after this weekend when i see the watch ;)
Old 10 May 2017, 11:01 AM   #12
justjay82
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Exactly

justjay82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2017, 12:23 AM   #13
MrLy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Remember condition is everything and always buy the seller before buying the watch. You might want to take a look at the for sale section here. There are several sellers that could get you exactly what you want.
Thank you for this, and again please excuse my ignorance. When yousay "condition is everything" what should I look for in particular, or when i inquire what should i ask for?

Here is my newbie understanding of what you meant, basing on what i have read here ;)
1. has it been serviced - when
2. has it been polished?
3. stretched in the bracelet
4. are all parts original?
5. what year?

I really appreciate you all taking time to respond.
Old 12 May 2017, 01:43 AM   #14
spoilsofwar01
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing Rainclouds

Hello and good for you, I have a 1968 5513, this appealed to me as it was an Iconic watch and fit my requirements I waited for the right one to come along so don't make a compromise, take your time, No Box or papers.... to the purest this wouldn't do... mine came with a box but no papers and the dial and hands had been replaced in the 70's.... However, it had been serviced by Rolex 3 years prior (£600) so I weigh this up and saw that even though the dial had been changed it was a correct service dial and this was part of its history. the final deciding factor is its the same model worn by Roger Moore (James Bond) in Live and let die..... Good enough for Bond, Good enough for me. All the very best luck to you.... be sure to show a photo of it once you find the right one, Rgds "H"
spoilsofwar01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2017, 03:20 AM   #15
MrLy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoilsofwar01 View Post
Hello and good for you, I have a 1968 5513, this appealed to me as it was an Iconic watch and fit my requirements I waited for the right one to come along so don't make a compromise, take your time, No Box or papers.... to the purest this wouldn't do... mine came with a box but no papers and the dial and hands had been replaced in the 70's.... However, it had been serviced by Rolex 3 years prior (£600) so I weigh this up and saw that even though the dial had been changed it was a correct service dial and this was part of its history. the final deciding factor is its the same model worn by Roger Moore (James Bond) in Live and let die..... Good enough for Bond, Good enough for me. All the very best luck to you.... be sure to show a photo of it once you find the right one, Rgds "H"
Thank you mate, appreciate the insight.
Old 12 May 2017, 05:02 AM   #16
spoilsofwar01
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing Rainclouds
my 5513

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrLy View Post
Thank you mate, appreciate the insight.
No Worries fella, attached is my 5513 and do keep in touch as the more we talk Rolex the more we learn.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rolex.jpg (81.9 KB, 121 views)
spoilsofwar01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2017, 11:05 PM   #17
MrLy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoilsofwar01 View Post
No Worries fella, attached is my 5513 and do keep in touch as the more we talk Rolex the more we learn.
Sure will, learning a lot here for sure
Old 27 May 2017, 10:30 PM   #18
MrLy
"TRF" Member

So I got a chance to see this 5513 yesterday and I must say it is stunning. Aside from couple scratches it looks nice and clean.

Something I noticed, is that the bezel turns without that ratchety feel (sorry don't know that lingo yet ) Is this normal?

The clasp is hanging and not locking? Is this how it suppose to be, searched it and only found a couple post with that issue. Can this be remedied?

Also, the bezel pearl does not match the patina on the dial. It looks brand new. Is this a replacement one?

Expert please chime in, i really like this watch

Here is the best pic i took.