The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 8 October 2008, 02:22 PM   #1
bodybump
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
2024 SUBMARINER Sponsor & Boutique Seller

Watch: Me!!!
Have you ever feel like a big shot in a restaurant wearing your expensive Rolex?

This a good topic..Have you ever feel like a big shot in a restaurant wearing your expensive Rolex watch and turns out you tip really bad even though the service is exceptional??? My friend owns a japanese restaurant in Boca and his advice to his waitstaff is to look for expensive stuff like watches,jewelry,handbags,and car keys for potential big spenders..most of their clientel are very rich...but the funny thing is some of this people are really really cheap...The one that tips really bad who wear those expensive Rolex watches are from Europe ( no offense guys) most of them act like big shots but tips really really bad...Next are Canadians,African American,Spanish and Asians... No offense guys but what are your thoughts??
Old 8 October 2008, 02:27 PM   #2
Yume-sama
"TRF" Member

Watch: Plat. Masterpiece
Is it customary to tip in Europe? I know in Asia it isn't, it is considered an insult to tip as you are just throwing your money at them. As for Canada, we usually just double the tax as a tip.

I don't believe in tipping big "just because", if the waiter does something truly exceptional and goes out of his way to perform his job well and make my evening a good one... than OK. But I have been to some of the best restaurants in Asia, where tipping is not asked for, nor accepted... so it would be hard for any North American / European to live up to any type of service you would be offered over there. I think people who work at restaurants in North America believe they are entitled to tips for no real reason... I like to prove them wrong.
Old 8 October 2008, 02:31 PM   #3
archaeofreak
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS 16610
in europe tips are included...it is not customary to tip, so that may account for why they are poor tippers....also some people obtain wealth by being frugal. Maybe thats it....I always tip 20% unless the service is really bad...
Old 8 October 2008, 02:39 PM   #4
sleedawg
"TRF" Member

Where I am in Silicon Valley... Rolex, Panerai, etc. are common place. The real ballers have the Pateks. Having a watch, or (for the women) LV, Goyard or Hermes bags are just common place around here. Hell, in Vegas at the SW Steakhouse, my lead waiter had a new SS Sub. At the end of the evening after we paid and he had his decent tip he said thank you and he likes my GMT IIc and is thinking of getting one himself. I was at the Porsche Driving School a month ago and EVERYONE was sporting a Rolex (mostly Daytonas) except for one guy's wife who was wearing a Patek Aquanaut.

As my man LL Cool J said it... Man made the money. Money never made the man. Rolex doesn't make you a big shot. Only you can do that. ;)
Old 8 October 2008, 02:41 PM   #5
MiningGuy

Watch: TT Daytona (Black)
Australians don't tip either, so for them in a restaurant in North America, it's a bit of a foreign concept for them.

I work with many Australians and whenever we're out to dinner in North America, if they are paying they'll defer to me with a "what do I tip?" type question.

So it may not be that they are "bad tippers"...they may just not know. When I was in Australia for the first time, I would have looked like a BIG shot for sure because nobody told me tipping wasn't really done, and so when I put down a 15-20% tip, the wait staff's eyes nearly popped out. Good thing that only happened once!
Old 8 October 2008, 02:41 PM   #6
MassiveAttack

Watch: your target
i love sporting my Rolex at MacDonalds, i get free refills and ketchup
Old 8 October 2008, 02:43 PM   #7
Ashley
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodybump View Post
This a good topic..Have you ever feel like a big shot in a restaurant wearing your expensive Rolex watch and turns out you tip really bad even though the service is exceptional??? My friend owns a japanese restaurant in Boca and his advice to his waitstaff is to look for expensive stuff like watches,jewelry,handbags,and car keys for potential big spenders..most of their clientel are very rich...but the funny thing is some of this people are really really cheap...The one that tips really bad who wear those expensive Rolex watches are from Europe ( no offense guys) most of them act like big shots but tips really really bad...Next are Canadians,African American,Spanish and Asians... No offense guys but what are your thoughts??
Really? Canadians are second on that list and Americans aren't on it at all? Hmm.
I too double the tax unless service is especially good or especially bad. Wearing a Rolex, driving a Mercedes, wearing an Italian suit, none of that matters. The person does!
Old 8 October 2008, 02:43 PM   #8
Yume-sama
"TRF" Member

Wow, at McDonalds! Just don't take the last ketchup packet, I got chewed out for that at In N Out in LA once.

"Chivalry is dead!"
Old 8 October 2008, 02:44 PM   #9
MiningGuy

Watch: TT Daytona (Black)
McDonald's??? I thought only the SMILES were free???
Old 8 October 2008, 03:01 PM   #10
Z-Sub
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Not a ONEWatch Man
I typically tip 16-20%. More if the service is exceptional.
What gets me is some restaurants will add tax to the base and then calculate the tips to artificially inflate the tip they want.
They should just work on making a customer's stay a memorable one.
As for the list of poor tippers by ethnicity, you may be treading on dangerous minefields.
My uncle owned a restaurant in Beverly Hills for 15 years and the worst tippers is not on your list.
I helped out a couple of times when I visited my uncle and made a few runs of deliveries when I was at UCLA School of Medicine.
When delivering food to the door, middle class folks tipped the best and people lived in huge gated houses typically tip the least. frequently $ 1 or 2 for a big order. that was just a trend and I did not find the ethnicity played as big a part as your made it sound like.
TT Blue Submariner "P"
SS GMT-Master ll "M", Pepsi
Pam 311, 524, 297
Old 8 October 2008, 03:04 PM   #11
bodybump
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yume-sama View Post
Is it customary to tip in Europe? I know in Asia it isn't, it is considered an insult to tip as you are just throwing your money at them. As for Canada, we usually just double the tax as a tip.

I don't believe in tipping big "just because", if the waiter does something truly exceptional and goes out of his way to perform his job well and make my evening a good one... than OK. But I have been to some of the best restaurants in Asia, where tipping is not asked for, nor accepted... so it would be hard for any North American / European to live up to any type of service you would be offered over there. I think people who work at restaurants in North America believe they are entitled to tips for no real reason... I like to prove them wrong.

here in the United States most of the people who work here in the restaurant rely on tips...job like a wait staff are paid $3.50 per hour and they rely on tips...90% of the restaurant here they share the tips with Bussers,dishwasers etc and so on usually servers pay 7% of the tips to them automatically...so Lets say your check is $500 plus tax 6.5% (florida)=$532.00 now usually foreigners tip 10% under just imagine how much your server will take home?? Hahahaha damn if you tip like that i advice you dont go back to that restaurant because definitley they will recognize you and your going to have the most delicious food you will ever get.hahahahaha

In asia..its only in japan that its rude to tip them...not all!!!! usually in asia they include the tips on the meal so thats why asians dont tip when they visit US.
Old 8 October 2008, 03:05 PM   #12
Ashley
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z-Sub View Post
... that was just a trend and I did not find the ethnicity played as big a part as your made it sound like.
Agreed. It's the person, not where they're from!
Old 8 October 2008, 03:06 PM   #13
bodybump
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashley View Post
Really? Canadians are second on that list and Americans aren't on it at all? Hmm.
I too double the tax unless service is especially good or especially bad. Wearing a Rolex, driving a Mercedes, wearing an Italian suit, none of that matters. The person does!
Americans are serveyed the most genourous tippers in the world..Food and Wine magazine..
Old 8 October 2008, 03:12 PM   #14
Yume-sama
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Americans are serveyed the most genourous tippers in the world..Food and Wine magazine..
Well, I guess if you have to put up with them you may as well get paid well for it.

I kid, I kid...
Old 8 October 2008, 03:12 PM   #15
Ashley
"TRF" Member

Quote:
here in the United States most of the people who work here in the restaurant rely on tips...job like a wait staff are paid $3.50 per hour and they rely on tips...US.
What restauraunts are you talking about? Minimum wage in the US is $6.55.
"Some types of labor are also exempt, and tipped labor must be paid a minimum of $2.13 per hour,[1] as long as the hourly wage plus tipped income result in a minimum of $6.55 per hour." - Wikipedia
Just be careful with the ethnicity comments
Old 8 October 2008, 03:13 PM   #16
shoppy
"TRF" Member

Watch: OP and daytona
Not normal in Europe, however if the service is above par and the staff helpful. I will always tip. I find it strange when I have been to the states and the service has been poor to say the least. That I then have to tip for poor service.
PP, JLC, VC, Swatch ,Casio, Timex.
Old 8 October 2008, 03:15 PM   #17
bodybump
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z-Sub View Post
I typically tip 16-20%. More if the service is exceptional.
What gets me is some restaurants will add tax to the base and then calculate the tips to artificially inflate the tip they want.
They should just work on making a customer's stay a memorable one.
As for the list of poor tippers by ethnicity, you may be treading on dangerous minefields.
My uncle owned a restaurant in Beverly Hills for 15 years and the worst tippers is not on your list.
I helped out a couple of times when I visited my uncle and made a few runs of deliveries when I was at UCLA School of Medicine.
When delivering food to the door, middle class folks tipped the best and people lived in huge gated houses typically tip the least. frequently $ 1 or 2 for a big order. that was just a trend and I did not find the ethnicity played as big a part as your made it sound like.
Oh dont get me wrong..i am not an american either and im just sharing this story because it was brought up when me and my friend having dinner.. When i first got here in the US the first tip i gave was $1.00 on a $130 check because in my country tips is included..the waitstaff chased me outside and gave back my $1.00...hahahahahah i just thought that if someone is visiting another country they should obeserve their culture and trends..and i learned that after that waitstaff chased me..
Old 8 October 2008, 03:16 PM   #18
Yume-sama
"TRF" Member

Quote:
so Lets say your check is $500 plus tax 6.5% (florida)=$532.00 now usually foreigners tip 10% under just imagine how much your server will take home?? Hahahaha damn if you tip like that i advice you dont go back to that restaurant because definitley they will recognize you and your going to have the most delicious food you will ever get.hahahahaha
I would think it would be very difficult to run up a bill of $500 at a place that pays at or below minimum wage. The places I frequent, I *know* they are being paid well, the waiters have all gone to school and are older, the chefs are all professional, etc. and the price of the food justifies that.
Old 8 October 2008, 03:17 PM   #19
bodybump
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoppy View Post
Not normal in Europe, however if the service is above par and the staff helpful. I will always tip. I find it strange when I have been to the states and the service has been poor to say the least. That I then have to tip for poor service.
hahah thats so true...i think its customary here in the US
Old 8 October 2008, 03:19 PM   #20
rob
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: SS only
no
Old 8 October 2008, 03:20 PM   #21
bodybump
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashley View Post
What restauraunts are you talking about? Minimum wage in the US is $6.55.
"Some types of labor are also exempt, and tipped labor must be paid a minimum of $2.13 per hour,[1] as long as the hourly wage plus tipped income result in a minimum of $6.55 per hour." - Wikipedia
Just be careful with the ethnicity comments
Uh uh...not all restaurant have that kind of policy here in the US...some are tips base and some are salary base...$6.50 you will be so lucky!!! Its like saying You cannot employ illegal workers..but 95% of the restaurant business have illegal people working there..
Old 8 October 2008, 03:22 PM   #22
C6Racing

I actually get a bit embarrased when someone realizes what watch Im wearing .... many times if I get a comment , I will say "its a fake" .
Old 8 October 2008, 03:22 PM   #23
shoppy
"TRF" Member

I also try and make sure I give the individual tip rather then the whole establishment, except for when you have to pay the latter. I mostly dine at restaurants where the service is always great and the serving staff are all older. Most places I frequent I have built up a friendship so they all know me and my family.
Old 8 October 2008, 03:24 PM   #24
topcat30093
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoppy View Post
Hi Simon
I always thought that it was the norm to tip, especially in the UK.
Whenever I have been in Europe I have always tipped.
Perhaps its because my father alway tipped & I'm just following suit.

Anyway to answer the original question.
No, I have never felt like a "Big Shot" that to me, makes them out to be above others people and snobbish.

Last edited by topcat30093; 8 October 2008 at 03:29 PM.. Reason: Added a paragraph
Old 8 October 2008, 03:24 PM   #25
funlab
"TRF" Member

Quote:
my thought is... are you serious? is this post for real?
Old 8 October 2008, 03:27 PM   #26
bodybump
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

Quote:
I would think it would be very difficult to run up a bill of $500 at a place that pays at or below minimum wage. The places I frequent, I *know* they are being paid well, the waiters have all gone to school and are older, the chefs are all professional, etc. and the price of the food justifies that.
In fine dinning restaurant here in the US 2 people can easily rack up $500 at one sitting..thats probably the minimum wage is low because they dont mind it at all with the customers tips....I read one article..NOBU japanese restaurant was sued by their waitstaff because managers taking a big chunk of share on their tip pool...it was dismissed and the servers makes $70,000 a year!!!
Old 8 October 2008, 03:29 PM   #27
bodybump
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

Quote:
Originally Posted by funlab View Post
my thought is... are you serious? is this post for real?
didnt even stutter...
Old 8 October 2008, 03:31 PM   #28
bodybump
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

Quote:
Well, I guess if you have to put up with them you may as well get paid well for it.

I kid, I kid...
any americans will comment on that?
Old 8 October 2008, 03:34 PM   #29
shoppy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by topcat30093 View Post
Hi Simon
I always thought that it was the norm to tip, especially in the UK.
Whenever I have been in Europe I have always tipped.
Perhaps its because my father alway tipped & I'm just following suit.

Anyway to answer the original question.
No, I have never felt like a "Big Shot" that to me, makes them out to be above others people and snobbish.
Tony,

I was referring to the fine dining establishments aka as the university of Mac Donald's, Burger King and the good old KFC. I read my comment and thought I should clarify but was being lazy. I have been up al night with my daughter who has a temperature. Thinking is beginning to feel like a luxury. Fate for being lazy, thank you Tony. Most places either have a tipping system and some voluntary. I always tip being a soft person.
Old 8 October 2008, 04:27 PM   #30
Chris B
"TRF" Member

The best tip you can give is "don't eat yellow snow"!
Closed Thread