The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 3 June 2017, 11:57 AM   #1
melman
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Daytona SS
Got estimate back from RSC

So long story short I bought my watch preowned without papers about 7 months ago. Great watch and love it. I made a good choice. After buying I started to notice little from the naked eye and under a loop (went looking for the etched crown on the crystal one day lol) some imperfections. Things like scratched hands, dent in crown pusher, etched crown was sitting at 2 o'clock etc. Yes I know some that bought from a AD say theirs is not sitting at six. So I had taken the watch into an AD shortly after buying and he gave me the "if the watch is lost or stolen you won't get it back" disclosure. I've actually gotten to know my AD rep better and he's a good guy. Anyways got back the estimate today....$1,300 (RSC Dallas).

So here is my question. They didn't recommend a bezel replacement but the markers and numbers were worn. Not bad but worn. Does the RSC have a way of bringing the numbers back to life without replacing the bezel? Thanks
melman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 June 2017, 12:01 PM   #2
dera
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by melman View Post
So long story short I bought my watch preowned without papers about 7 months ago. Great watch and love it. I made a good choice. After buying I started to notice little from the naked eye and under a loop (went looking for the etched crown on the crystal one day lol) some imperfections. Things like scratched hands, dent in crown pusher, etched crown was sitting at 2 o'clock etc. Yes I know some that bought from a AD say theirs is not sitting at six. So I had taken the watch into an AD shortly after buying and he gave me the "if the watch is lost or stolen you won't get it back" disclosure. I've actually gotten to know my AD rep better and he's a good guy. Anyways got back the estimate today....$1,300 (RSC Dallas).

So here is my question. They didn't recommend a bezel replacement but the markers and numbers were worn. Not bad but worn. Does the RSC have a way of bringing the numbers back to life without replacing the bezel? Thanks
I've had 50+ Rolexes in the past 2 years, all bought new from AD. 2 of them had the crown upright.
dera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 June 2017, 12:22 PM   #3
melman
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dera View Post
I've had 50+ Rolexes in the past 2 years, all bought new from AD. 2 of them had the crown upright.
I actually meant the etched crown on the crystal. It's was sitting at the 2 o'clock mark instead of 6. No big deal but makes me think the watchmaker who serviced it (non RSC) didn't think put it back at the 6 position (or maybe didn't know it had an etched crystal). Don't know if the watchmaker who serviced had a way of ensuring the watch was water tight once he put the crystal back. Two of the hands were scratched. Visable with the naked eye. How does that happen? So since he wasn't careful enough with the hands I figure he didn't really test it for it's water resistant capabilities lol. Yes the pusher crown was not straight up. Like you said they rarely are. But mine will now be per my request Of course now the watch is registered under my name with Rolex and it will be as close to new as possible. All this because I plan to sell it. My AD offered me a new 116500 and I had to pass because I am not a two Rolex type of guy. Not a question of money but owning over 20k in watches is not my thing. Now cars is a different story...
Old 3 June 2017, 12:25 PM   #4
dera
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I actually meant the etched crown on the crystal. It's was sitting at the 2 o'clock mark instead of 6. No big deal but makes me think the watchmaker who serviced it didn't think put it back at the 6 position (or maybe didn't know it had an etched crystal). Don't know if the watchmaker who serviced had a way of ensuring the watch was water right once he put the crystal back. Two of the hands were scratched. Visable with the naked eye. How does that happen? So since he wasn't careful enough with the hands I figure he didn't really test it for it's water resistant capabilities lol. Yes the pusher crown was not straight up. Like you said they rarely are. But mine will now be per my request
Ah, every one I've checked has been at 6 o'clock, but I don't think I checked every single one.
I doubt any straight-outta-Rolex watches have it at 2...
dera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 June 2017, 05:21 PM   #5
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:

On non date watches the LEC is not always at the 6 o'clock position,Rolex will not refurbish bezel numbers .And take my advice a loupe can be a new Rolex watch owners worst enemy.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 June 2017, 05:58 PM   #6
Mick P
Banned

Watch: 39mm Explorer
[QUOTE=padi56;7656988]On non date watches the LEC is not always at the 6 o'clock position,Rolex will not refurbish bezel numbers .And take my advice a loupe can be a new Rolex watch owners worst enemy.[/QUOTE]

It is certainly a printers worst enemy, what looks fine to the naked eye looks a mess once magnified. I have seen good men lose their marbles after picking up a loupe.
Mick P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 June 2017, 06:22 PM   #7
Xenophon
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

It would help if you told us the model of the watch
Old 3 June 2017, 06:24 PM   #8
joli160

Watch: Yachtmaster
If it's running fine it does not need service for only this small cosmetic imperfections, since it has just a service done.
Does not matter where the etched crown sits for watertightness. Also does not matter how the winding crown sits. To adjust this upright only works the first few times after service and depends on how tight you screw it down compressing the seals more or less. The Skydweller is designed to have it upright. Other references not.
Faded bezel numbers ? The vintage crowd loves it.
Throw away the loupe and wear it. No Rolex is perfect, try not to be OCD, but just enjoy it.
I assume you bought preowned for a better price, now spending 1200 on a service which is not needed imho does not make sense.
Old 3 June 2017, 08:46 PM   #9
melman
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
On non date watches the LEC is not always at the 6 o'clock position,Rolex will not refurbish bezel numbers .And take my advice a loupe can be a new Rolex watch owners worst enemy.
You've got that right about the loupe. Should have never picked it up. On the LEC asked two different AD reps from different store and they both told me it's always at 6. To bad about the bezel should have liked the numbers brought back up a bit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenophon View Post
It would help if you told us the model of the watch
Sorry. It's a 116520 Daytona V serial (2011).

Quote:
Originally Posted by joli160 View Post
If it's running fine it does not need service for only this small cosmetic imperfections, since it has just a service done.
Does not matter where the etched crown sits for watertightness. Also does not matter how the winding crown sits. To adjust this upright only works the first few times after service and depends on how tight you screw it down compressing the seals more or less. The Skydweller is designed to have it upright. Other references not.
Faded bezel numbers ? The vintage crowd loves it.
Throw away the loupe and wear it. No Rolex is perfect, try not to be OCD, but just enjoy it.
I assume you bought preowned for a better price, now spending 1200 on a service which is not needed imho does not make sense.
I went back and forth with some of the points you listed. At the end of the day I did it to ligitimize the watch. By doing that it makes much easier to sell. I'll make that $1,200 easy when I go to sell it. My bad for buying it without papers (never again). Don't know what I was thinking at the time. Without papers there would always be the question from the buyer about it being real or it being lost/stolen. Also the mark on one of the hands. I could see it and bugged me. I'm not one of those who thinks a beat up watch is desirable thing to own. Like you said there are those who do.
Old 3 June 2017, 08:49 PM   #10
Xenophon

Ah right. Without the cyclops the crown can be anywhere on the crystal
Old 3 June 2017, 09:00 PM   #11
joli160

Watch: Yachtmaster
If you have only the service estimate on paper than that in itself is already proof that the watch is real and not stolen. An RSC will never give you an estimate on anything but.
You might retrieve the 1200 when selling, but there are lots of buyers who prefer an untouched watch. Just trying to help avoid you spending $$$
Old 3 June 2017, 09:07 PM   #12
Drjamesie
"TRF" Member

While buying with papers is certainly preferred it is by no means an assurance that the watch is not stolen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Drjamesie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 June 2017, 09:16 PM   #13
melman
"TRF" Member

Quote:
If you have only the service estimate on paper than that in itself is already proof that the watch is real and not stolen. An RSC will never give you an estimate on anything but.
You might retrieve the 1200 when selling, but there are lots of buyers who prefer an untouched watch. Just trying to help avoid you spending $$$
You're right. I appreciate it. At this point it's something I had already committed to. AD was upfront about everything. I guess we all have different ways of going about things. In hindsight I should have just posted the thread on RSC and it's handling of the bezel
Old 3 June 2017, 09:19 PM   #14
1William

Watch: Rolex/Others
I would not spend the money on the service unless I was going to keep the watch. Any AD or Trusted Seller will adjust accordingly on the price for the issues you described. If an AD had a Daytona-C I would do a trade and adjust accordingly with money out of pocket. Problem solved for box and papers and things being right.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 June 2017, 09:33 PM   #15
melman
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1William View Post
I would not spend the money on the service unless I was going to keep the watch. Any AD or Trusted Seller will adjust accordingly on the price for the issues you described. If an AD had a Daytona-C I would do a trade and adjust accordingly with money out of pocket. Problem solved for box and papers and things being right.
AD would not take it on trade. That leaves me to sell it in my own. Honestly I just might keep it. You never know. When my AD offered me the Daytona-C it kind of put things in motion for me. If it had been the white dial like I wanted then I would have two Daytonas right now. My AD rep told me not to sell the one I have. Like I said in an earlier post I'm not that into high end watches. One is enough for me
Old 3 June 2017, 10:13 PM   #16
Old Geezer
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
Beware, loupes can cause all kinds of anxieties.
Old Geezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 June 2017, 10:56 PM   #17
karmatp
"TRF" Member

Everything you mentioned as imperfections I would have not thought twice about. $1300 is a huge waste of money for a watch that is running properly.
Old 4 June 2017, 12:03 AM   #18
melman
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by karmatp View Post
Everything you mentioned as imperfections I would have not thought twice about. $1300 is a huge waste of money for a watch that is running properly.
Humm... You're going to buy a preowned watch. You have two identical ones in front you. One has just rencently been service from Rolex and one has not. Which one do you buy?
Old 4 June 2017, 12:25 AM   #19
Speed
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Humm... You're going to buy a preowned watch. You have two identical ones in front you. One has just rencently been service from Rolex and one has not. Which one do you buy?
True from the buyer's POV.

But as a seller...how much over $1300 will you recoup - in relation to whatever selling price you may eventually ask.

If you are going to keep / enjoy the watch...get the bezel replaced if it will make you enjoy looking at the watch even more.
Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 June 2017, 12:39 AM   #20
melman
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed View Post
True from the buyer's POV.

But as a seller...how much over $1300 will you recoup - in relation to whatever selling price you may eventually ask.

If you are going to keep / enjoy the watch...get the bezel replaced if it will make you enjoy looking at the watch even more.

I think I can make up the difference or at least get close. I'm selling it as a private owner not a dealer. So as a buyer, why buy from individual and not a "trusted site"? That's where I think getting the recent service and paperwork from Rolex helps me if I decide to sell. At least in my mind. As far the bezel that's why I kind of started the thread. I wonder if the will even attempt to bring it up a little. They are suppose to bring it up to Rolex's standard. At least that what my AD said.
Old 4 June 2017, 12:49 AM   #21
ranxoren
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona 116500LN
Quote:
I think I can make up the difference or at least get close. I'm selling it as a private owner not a dealer. So as a buyer, why buy from individual and not a "trusted site"? That's where I think getting the recent service and paperwork from Rolex helps me if I decide to sell. At least in my mind. As far the bezel that's why I kind of started the thread. I wonder if the will even attempt to bring it up a little. They are suppose to bring it up to Rolex's standard. At least that what my AD said.
I don't think that a recent service would warrant a $1300 difference when I'm looking at 2 pre-owned watches.
Sure, I would end up picking yours but not at that difference. I think what people are trying to share is that you won't get back the whole $1300.
But if it makes you happy to have it serviced while you own it then it all works out :-)
Old 4 June 2017, 01:20 AM   #22
melman
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranxoren View Post
I don't think that a recent service would warrant a $1300 difference when I'm looking at 2 pre-owned watches.
Sure, I would end up picking yours but not at that difference. I think what people are trying to share is that you won't get back the whole $1300.
But if it makes you happy to have it serviced while you own it then it all works out :-)
We all are different when it comes to buying and selling. I know I would not even think of handing over 10k+ to someone (a private owner) for a watch without a little bit of assurance that it is what it is and its not lost/stolen. I understand what some are saying but I look at it from a different perspective. I would not want to sell something to somebody that I myself did not have total confidence in. Like I said it's my fault for buying it from a dealer without papers. To answer your question it does make me happy to have it serviced and know that it's right. It's like the watchmaker that serviced it for the jeweler I bought from. He didn't care enough for what he was doing to be careful with this watch. He scratched at least two of the hands, the dial was spotted, crystal set wrong. Etc. Personally I hate having a watch like this with these imperfections. It's just me.
Old 4 June 2017, 01:21 AM   #23
mtgjr
Banned

Watch: Pepsi GMT
Quote:
It's clearly not "untouched" if the hands are scratched.
mtgjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 June 2017, 01:35 AM   #24
Speed
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Ok. Good luck on the sale. It's tough selling as a regular Joe as you say.

Re the bezel...replacement is your best bet. I've never heard of a RSC reworking the numbers etc.
Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 June 2017, 01:46 AM   #25
ras47
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710 BLRO
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranxoren View Post

I also don't think service will get you an extra $1300 in resale price. But it could make the difference in making a sale vs not making a sale at all. Unless of course you offer the watch at a very low price. Once you know the watch needs service it's incumbent upon you to disclose that fact to a potential buyer.