The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

View Poll Results: Who Do You Trust With Your Rolex.
Only the RSC for my Precious... 30 37.97%
I'll use an AD Watchmaker.... 22 27.85%
Independent is good for me 16 20.25%
When it breaks, I'll think about it... 9 11.39%
Nobody touches my watch...back-off 2 2.53%
Voters: 79. You may not vote on this poll

Old 22 October 2008, 04:14 PM   #1
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Is The Independent Rolex Watchmaker Dead ?

More and more when a question is asked about fixing or regulating a Rolex, the mantra is "take it to the RSC".. or "Nobody works on my watch except the RSC", etc.

Why is this ? I think that we are killing the independent watchmaker..

Here's a story......

In the old days, we bought shoes.. (OK, we still do, but bear with me) Located in almost every department store, and outside almost every grocery store there was a shoe repair shop, or a boot shop. They made a good business of replacing heels, soles, new uppers, and those tiny rubber pads on the bottom of women's stilettos.

Today, becaue nobody used them any more, those shoe shops are gone. If you want a shoe repaired, you have to sent it to the factory or buy new..

Isn't that what's going to happen if we don't find a good watchmaker and trust him/her to clean and oil our precious.. Really, a watch is not rocket science..

So, what do you think....

The RSC or the Watchmaker..
Old 22 October 2008, 04:22 PM   #2
bodybump
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
2024 ??? Sponsor & Boutique Seller

Watch: Me!!!
Well big difference..RSC have a vast experience and knowledge of Rolex compared to a regular watchmaker...i wouldnt want my mercedes (if i have one) fix by pep boys..You just have a feeling of safeness and guarantee...I have an AD here that when you buy a watch for them the auth card will be mailed to the purchaser after 30 days.. as you notice the new warranty card says.. "This warranty card is valid if filled out and dated by the official Rolex jeweler" why not buy an AD?? i mean its only a card that need to be filled out by the buyer...so why fill it out by a Rolex Jeweler when you already purchase the watch your self..
Old 22 October 2008, 04:26 PM   #3
Z-Sub
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Not a ONEWatch Man
If out of warranty and needs minor stuff, a good Watchmaker is fine. I may make exception for Daytona and have RSC do the service for that. Otherwise I'll take to one with Rolex Certified watchmaker with parts account with Rolex to do service for my gmt/subs...etc.
TT Blue Submariner "P"
SS GMT-Master ll "M", Pepsi
Pam 311, 524, 297
Z-Sub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2008, 04:31 PM   #4
cody p
"TRF" Member

Watch: Air-King 114200
we are not killing him, rolex is by not making parts available. we wanted 'in house' and we got it! although we can at least get good service from rolex, unlike other manufacturers who also withhold parts but are unable to provide decent 'service apres vent' themselves.
cody p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2008, 04:33 PM   #5
bodybump
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

Quote:
Originally Posted by cody p View Post
we are not killing him, rolex is by not making parts available. we wanted 'in house' and we got it! although we can at least get good service from rolex, unlike other manufacturers who also withhold parts but are unable to provide decent 'service apres vent' themselves.
i agree with you cody...i might go home and see my dial was replaced by a swatch mickey mouse logo...
Old 23 October 2008, 12:35 AM   #6
DC watchman
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodybump View Post
Well big difference..RSC have a vast experience and knowledge of Rolex compared to a regular watchmaker...i wouldnt want my mercedes (if i have one) fix by pep boys..You just have a feeling of safeness and guarantee...I have an AD here that when you buy a watch for them the auth card will be mailed to the purchaser after 30 days.. as you notice the new warranty card says.. "This warranty card is valid if filled out and dated by the official Rolex jeweler" why not buy an AD?? i mean its only a card that need to be filled out by the buyer...so why fill it out by a Rolex Jeweler when you already purchase the watch your self..
It's kind of a shame because there are lots of good independent Rolex watchmakers out there. The pep boys analogy is just dumb. Pep boys mechanics probably are not trained to work on a high line car. Rolex watchmakers are. As I said it really is too bad because these guys can regulate a watch quickly, or perform other minor adjustments that would normally take weeks for a RSC to compltete.

A lot of these guys had parts accounts as well which was nice because Rolex is becoming a pain about selling spare parts.
DC watchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2008, 12:36 AM   #7
Jimbits76
"TRF" Member

Indy for me baby. Try getting a damaged watch 40 or so years old fixed or serviced by the manufacturer.

For vintage...indy is best...for modern...RSC.

J
Jimbits76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2008, 12:38 AM   #8
Atlanta
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126619LB & 114270
Most people I have heard waving the 'RSC Flag' say they had a bad experience with a local AD. I guess there is a feeling of security of knowing only RSC has looked at your watch - much like many people only take their cars to dealerships for work rather than the local lube rack.

If your watch if a lifetime reward and/or investment, I can appreciate wanting to have it babied at RSC.
Old 23 October 2008, 12:40 AM   #9
jdc
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbits76 View Post
Indy for me baby. Try getting a damaged watch 40 or so years old fixed or serviced by the manufacturer.

For vintage...indy is best...for modern...RSC.

J
Agree with Jim my 52 year old oyster date is at an independent watch maker now. The GMT 2002 I would probably send to RSC.........but you have me thinking.......
jdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2008, 12:46 AM   #10
Dan Pierce
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex-1 Tudor-3
I've done my part keeping my local watchmaker [w/ Rolex parts account] busy.
dP
The Crown & Shield Club
Honorary Member of P-Club
Dan Pierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2008, 12:57 AM   #11
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
There is nothing magical about servicing a Rolex movement,fact its quite a bit simpler to service than quite a few out there today.The problem is like say Rolex USA they have such a strangle hold on the parts distribution.Myself have a watchmaker friend that has been servicing my watches for many years.And does the job as good, perhaps better than the RSC, its not rocket science to service or repair a Rolex.To any experienced watchmaker one movement is alike to many others out there today.Now if these independent watchmakers could easily source the parts if necessary, they could do the same job as any RSC.But must admit the RSC does a fine job when it comes to a case bracelet refurbish.But the movement any good watchmaker could service a Rolex just like any other movement.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2008, 12:58 AM   #12
rocco1109
2024 Pledge Member

Depends. I have two modern Rolexes and several vintage. The modern ones go to the Rolex Service Center.

The vintage ones go to a local independent watchmaker who has a Rolex account. I know it's strange for a small, independent watchmaker to have a Rolex account, but this guy does (since 1973). The founding watchmaker worked for Rolex in Geneva. He came to the US in 1973 and opened a watch shop. He brought with him an abundance of parts and continued to buy them for many years, stocking up his inventory. He's dead but his two sons have taken over the business.

I recently had my 1680 serviced there and they have NOS parts on hand. I was able to get a "new" crown tube for my 1680 that was period correct, dating to the late 1970s.
rocco1109 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2008, 01:01 AM   #13
Skutt50
"TRF" Member

Watch: Old English Fusee
I try to support my local watchmaker rather than Rolex. Unfortunately he can't get spare parts anymore and he refuse to work without original parts. (Good sign!)

I had to find another, rather "snobby" watchmaker, who only works with Rolex and Brightling. He service my watch without being a RSC but he charge just about the same.

Today I have found yet a couple of other watchmakers who are working with Rolex but at much better prices. And yes they get the parts but refuse to tell me where.

In the future I hope to be able to do the job myself ........

Anyway I try to stay away from RSC as much as I can mainly because of their spare part philosophy.
Skutt50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2008, 01:32 AM   #14
mcubed
"TRF" Member

I bought my sub used from an independent watchmaker, and the watch, like my others will be serviced there. I doubt my Rolex will ever see RSC
mcubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2008, 01:48 AM   #15
James T
"TRF" Member

Watch: submariner 16610
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcubed View Post
I bought my sub used from an independent watchmaker, and the watch, like my others will be serviced there. I doubt my Rolex will ever see RSC
x2! my sub, bought in 1996 as brand new by my dad for me, but series n, making it a 1991 model has never even seen a watchmaker for service, etc.. and yet it is accurate...to this date.. oh yeah, i brought it once to an independent watchmaker to change the crystal because it broke..
Old 23 October 2008, 02:21 AM   #16
bodybump
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC watchman View Post
It's kind of a shame because there are lots of good independent Rolex watchmakers out there. The pep boys analogy is just dumb. Pep boys mechanics probably are not trained to work on a high line car. Rolex watchmakers are. As I said it really is too bad because these guys can regulate a watch quickly, or perform other minor adjustments that would normally take weeks for a RSC to compltete.

A lot of these guys had parts accounts as well which was nice because Rolex is becoming a pain about selling spare parts.
So be very very honest with yourself if you have a $10,000 Daytona watch...would you send your Rolex watch to a watchmaker or RSC???
Old 23 October 2008, 02:38 AM   #17
James T
"TRF" Member

Quote:
So be very very honest with yourself if you have a $10,000 Daytona watch...would you send your Rolex watch to a watchmaker or RSC???

oscar, to be honest, i would not send my match to a repair shop, regardless if its a service center or an independent unless its broken! LOL
Old 23 October 2008, 02:42 AM   #18
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Watch: ALL SOLD!!
28 long years of Rolex ownership, 23 Rollies under my belt.....and NEVER ever had any of them ever serviced!!

Never kept them long enough to get to the servicing stage I guess!!!

But I suppose with my Platty and Subby I would use Mansor's who happens to be a first class AD-cum-RSC all rolled into one!!

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
JJ Irani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2008, 02:42 AM   #19
Time Traveller

After the warranty period is up and as long as the watchmaker is competent they will get my business for most repairs or regulation.
Time Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2008, 02:43 AM   #20
mistral
"TRF" Member

I use a local certified watchmaker service my watches. 10 yrs ago he had to replace a broken main spring on my 6239 PN and then 3 yrs ago he replaced a broken ratchet wheel on my PN. The PN is more accurate than by newer Breitling Cosmonaute.
I asked him if he worked for Rolex since he is from Europe. He said no, he had worked for Seiko.

mistral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2008, 02:55 AM   #21
tutone

Face to Face

I think one of the main advantages of using an independent is the face to face, personal contact. You'll probably get to actually meet and chat with the person who will be working on your baby. If you want to use the car care analogy, it's like finding a good mechanic that you trust to do things right and not rip you off.
tutone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2008, 03:15 AM   #22
Mr. Manners

Watch: Tudor Date+Day
Used them all

Gentle reader,

I have used the NYC RSC, an AD, and 2 independents.

The independent I am currently using has a vast NOS Rolex and Tudor parts selection so he gets my older watches. I have been dealing with him for almost 20 years and have never been dissapointed.

New/newer watches always go to an RSC.

AD's, for me, are for quick fixes like the one time my wife dropped her Datejust and the second hand came off.

Respectfully,

Mr. Manners
Mr. Manners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2008, 03:17 AM   #23
James T
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Manners View Post
Gentle reader,

I have used the NYC RSC, an AD, and 2 independents.

The independent I am currently using has a vast NOS Rolex and Tudor parts selection so he gets my older watches. I have been dealing with him for almost 20 years and have never been dissapointed.

New/newer watches always go to an RSC.

AD's, for me, are for quick fixes like the one time my wife dropped her Datejust and the second hand came off.

Respectfully,

Mr. Manners
Mr Manners, why would you send a new/newer watch for service anyway?
Old 23 October 2008, 03:19 AM   #24
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Yes have a 6263 my watchmaker friend has been looking after it for years.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2008, 03:35 AM   #25
Matrim604
"TRF" Member

I voted only RSC for my Rolex, but that's just because with RSC i'll know what to expect. I'm not against any of the good Rolex watch makers out there, I just don't know any of them. If I learned of one that has a good reputation, and I was able to see his/her work, I wouldn't be against them working on my watch.
Matrim604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2008, 03:36 AM   #26
DC watchman
Banned

Quote:
There was an AD in downtown DC who had a great watchmaker. Unfortunately they went out of business when they lost their lease. Wonder where he went????

I have also used Buddy Hugely in Annapolis who is a great guy. I think he has a parts account but I am not sure.

Yes, I would not hesitate to leave a 10k daytona with either one of these guys.
DC watchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2008, 05:26 AM   #27
KJacques
"TRF" Member

Watch: the skies
I don't see much reason in EVER using RSC again after I sent my 1974 red sub to Rolex because something had happened to the rotor. They sent it back, refusing to service it. The watchmaker I did send it to not only fixed the problem for $11, but did a complete cleaning and lubrication like Rolex does for hundreds less and gave a two year warranty on the work. It's been a year and a half since they serviced and regulated it and it is still dead on accurate to the Atomic Clock I set it to 5 days ago.

Support your local trained watchmaker.
KJacques is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2008, 05:29 AM   #28
frostie
1,000,000th PostMember

Voted for the RSC cause i'd like to experience the real rolex service at least once in my life

Wouldn't mind to send it to a certified independent rolex watchmaker though

GMT - Master II C - 116710 LN
frostie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2008, 05:32 AM   #29
SLS
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT's & Sub's
Independent's are fine for all my pieces, modern or vintage.
~Scott

Member No. 922
SLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2008, 01:51 PM   #30
RsqVet

Independent is fine or better in some instances. Just depends on the person / store and the product. I also have to say with watches with the exception of the quality of re-finishing work most watch work is strightforward and anyone with a good rep is unlikely to mess up in any significant way at all.

I also prefer a less heavy handed mentality than RSC is known for in the US.

Heck do all you people take your car to the dealer for everything? I know mechanics that can out wrench most dealer shops and work on 6 figure cars daily, often at higher cost than dealer. They get it because they are that good.....
RsqVet is offline   Reply With Quote