The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 24 October 2008, 12:38 AM   #1
305GMTIIc

Daytona question/observation

I am a new member and have read the threads for a week or so. Question about the Daytona?
1. Is the Daytona fever strictly about "getting it from an AD?"

I only wonder this because EVERY TIME i go to an AD in Miami they ALWAYS have a Daytona in the case. Admittedly they are not always SS/Black face but they always have one or can get one the next day etc. This confuses me because I am trying to figure out what the shortage thing is about?

If anyone wants one I can find one in an afternoon out shopping. I mean they are so easy to come by here I doubt I would spend more than 10 min total time looking?

They are also all over craigslist (authentic) from AD's or reputable dealers by the dozen. Somebody here was salivating over a white face SS. There were 3 or 4 here for sale at one time NIB.

Another observation. When i was in Nashville TN there was a few stores in the very upscale mall there. All 3 had the WG with black face daytona and at least one maybe 2 others in various configurations.

SO, are members here just trying to get one from a local so they have the personal sales etc? Or is it just a matter of "get me a new daytona anywhere" I also see the mark up thing is sliding big time. They used to be in the 12k mark. Now I see them at the 9500 to 10 range.

Also saw 2 of those Milligus with the green ring on the sapphire at a place in Boca Raton. they were asking 17000
305GMTIIc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2008, 12:40 AM   #2
toph
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, Brellum,
it is getting an SS daytona at the MRSP which was nearly impossible until a couple of months ago, still is here in the UK
The green milgauss mrsp is under $7000 and you saw it for $17000

"Where no counsel is the people fall, but in the multitude of counselors there is safety."

Member No.# 11795
toph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2008, 12:40 AM   #3
mfer
"TRF" Member

The high demand ones are the black and white SS ones.

TT and Solid Golds are a dime a dozen so to speak.
member#3242
mfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2008, 12:53 AM   #4
BigHat
Banned

Watch: Lange One MP
If you're seeing BNIB SS Daytonas, would need to ask about the price. They are likely selling at a premium. Yes, the premium may be dropping, but that's probably bad news rather than good, at least in the interim.
If it makes so sense (not added profit) to sell into the GM, either as an AD or a recent purchaser at MSRP, then the ADs will sell them to a few more long-term customers and preclude you the chance to buy at a couple thousand over MSRP on line.
BigHat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2008, 01:40 AM   #5
daytona1

Quote:
Originally Posted by 305GMTIIc View Post
I am a new member and have read the threads for a week or so. Question about the Daytona?

I only wonder this because EVERY TIME i go to an AD in Miami they ALWAYS have a Daytona in the case. Admittedly they are not always SS/Black face but they always have one or can get one the next day etc. This confuses me because I am trying to figure out what the shortage thing is about?

If anyone wants one I can find one in an afternoon out shopping. I mean they are so easy to come by here I doubt I would spend more than 10 min total time looking?

They are also all over craigslist (authentic) from AD's or reputable dealers by the dozen. Somebody here was salivating over a white face SS. There were 3 or 4 here for sale at one time NIB.

Another observation. When i was in Nashville TN there was a few stores in the very upscale mall there. All 3 had the WG with black face daytona and at least one maybe 2 others in various configurations.

SO, are members here just trying to get one from a local so they have the personal sales etc? Or is it just a matter of "get me a new daytona anywhere" I also see the mark up thing is sliding big time. They used to be in the 12k mark. Now I see them at the 9500 to 10 range.

Also saw 2 of those Milligus with the green ring on the sapphire at a place in Boca Raton. they were asking 17000

This is something that I have posted about in the past. I couldnt imagine why everyone was looking for Daytonas when I had just seen like 50 of them in downtown Miami like a week before I read the post. It is almost impossible to get a Daytona in Miami unless you pay a premium. AD's sell them out the back door to retail sellers that mark them up. Thats the reason they tell you there is a five year waiting list or you just cant get one.
daytona1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2008, 01:46 AM   #6
Mr. E

Watch: GMT II c,Serti Sub
Quote:

Do you remember which Nashville Mall? I live here and did not know that there was a mall with 3 ADs
Mr. E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2008, 01:46 AM   #7
vzmax
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Mayor's had a recent influx of Daytonas for VIP shows that they are having this month. They may have not been able to sell all of them and are easily transferable between stores if they have been sitting for a week or more. You still need to be a previous customer and have had to have purchased a Rolex from them in the past. I was lucky enough to pick up a white face Daytona at one of these events last week through my rep.

This is only recently, every other time I've asked for a Daytona they looked at me like I am asking for a miracle and it's impossible. One rep a few months ago in Coral Gables even had the balls to tell me they don't make the Daytona anymore. Boy, did I set her straight .

As for the GV some ADs have yet to even see one.

I have seen good ones and fake ones on Craigslist. I personally like to purchase my watches from an AD so I can have it in my name and if there are any problems they are accountable. In the end IMO ,it's all about the chase and "getting the call". It also splits up our purchases and gives us an excuse for the wifey to get another Rollie.
vzmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2008, 02:16 AM   #8
305GMTIIc

Quote:
Originally Posted by vzmax View Post
Mayor's had a recent influx of Daytonas for VIP shows that they are having this month. They may have not been able to sell all of them and are easily transferable between stores if they have been sitting for a week or more. You still need to be a previous customer and have had to have purchased a Rolex from them in the past. I was lucky enough to pick up a white face Daytona at one of these events last week through my rep.

This is only recently, every other time I've asked for a Daytona they looked at me like I am asking for a miracle and it's impossible. One rep a few months ago in Coral Gables even had the balls to tell me they don't make the Daytona anymore. Boy, did I set her straight .

As for the GV some ADs have yet to even see one.

I have seen good ones and fake ones on Craigslist. I personally like to purchase my watches from an AD so I can have it in my name and if there are any problems they are accountable. In the end IMO ,it's all about the chase and "getting the call". It also splits up our purchases and gives us an excuse for the wifey to get another Rollie.
I figured it was about the "thrill of the chase" because they are easy to get if you pay a premium. Also seen em in the islands in the case.

I took a second look her in Miami and it seems like the SS/Black face is steadily going for 10,500. Not a bad mark up for a watch that is considered the "holy grail" i guess?
Old 24 October 2008, 02:19 AM   #9
305GMTIIc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. E View Post
Do you remember which Nashville Mall? I live here and did not know that there was a mall with 3 ADs
I think it was Green Hills? Was there 2 AD's? One down and one up? No? not the mall at Green hills it was the one 20min away off the highway the one much much bigger near Franklin? Cant quite recall but both had them when i went in! In fact the lady who showed it to me as a total jerk. I "touched" the crown and she jumped and said "dont touch that" you should NEVER touch "that part"
Me and my wife walked out shaking our heads. WTF??
Old 24 October 2008, 02:29 AM   #10
GBJIV
"TRF" Member

WG Daytona can be found very easily in So. Cal. I have never seen an SS Daytona in the case at an AD here. AD's "in theory" should sell at the Suggested Retail price - does not mean they have to. So, if you are seeing them in the case - at least for now... I would think they are using it as bait... or selling at a premium.

Sounds like Rolex shopping in Miami is a lot of fun! Thanks for the post.
Old 24 October 2008, 02:34 AM   #11
wzz

I've noticed an abundance of Rolex watches in the S. FL area.

Pawn Shops, private sellers, etc. It seems that most models are readily available and less expensive than similar models in other areas of the country.

YMMV
wzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 November 2008, 08:37 AM   #12
Patek
"TRF" Member

I travel to many cities in different states regularly. I always visit Rolex dealers in my spare time. It is not uncommon to see Daytonas in different configurations. You may see the WG, YG on leather, Two Tone, Ever-Rose but never the SS. The SS is extremely difficult to come by. Dealers keep it for repeat customers. They get two yearly. They may get more if they sell few solid gold ones. This has been the case now for few years, and I don't see a change in the near future!
Patek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 November 2008, 10:32 AM   #13
Andad
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
The SS Daytona is $11300 in Oz that is US$7600 today.
Or you could say the are worth US$12000 that is Aus$18000 today. Even bigger

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 November 2008, 10:41 AM   #14
Z-Sub
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Not a ONEWatch Man
Quote:
Originally Posted by directioneng View Post
The SS Daytona is $11300 in Oz that is US$7600 today.
Or you could say the are worth US$12000 that is Aus$18000 today. Even bigger

Love to have that next time I visit down under. It's been 10 yrs
TT Blue Submariner "P"
SS GMT-Master ll "M", Pepsi
Pam 311, 524, 297
Z-Sub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 November 2008, 12:03 PM   #15
Klokke

Icon10 Right. 50 Daytonas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by daytona1 View Post
This is something that I have posted about in the past. I couldnt imagine why everyone was looking for Daytonas when I had just seen like 50 of them in downtown Miami like a week before I read the post. It is almost impossible to get a Daytona in Miami unless you pay a premium. AD's sell them out the back door to retail sellers that mark them up. Thats the reason they tell you there is a five year waiting list or you just cant get one.
I think you were seeing the same one 50 times. There weren't 50 Daytonas sitting in AD cases in one city.

It's simple. SS Daytona at list price from an AD = WAIT LIST.

Pay a big premium and you can get it faster, sometimes immediately.

Precious metal Daytonas are easy to get at list from an AD.

People wait because they don't want to pay a premium, want to be sure they are getting a real Daytona, and want their name registered to the watch and warranty.

It's all very simple.
Klokke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 November 2008, 12:06 PM   #16
Klokke

Icon14 Exactly!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patek View Post
I travel to many cities in different states regularly. I always visit Rolex dealers in my spare time. It is not uncommon to see Daytonas in different configurations. You may see the WG, YG on leather, Two Tone, Ever-Rose but never the SS. The SS is extremely difficult to come by. Dealers keep it for repeat customers. They get two yearly. They may get more if they sell few solid gold ones. This has been the case now for few years, and I don't see a change in the near future!

Well put. Exactly right.
Klokke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 November 2008, 12:22 PM   #17
daytona1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klokke View Post
I think you were seeing the same one 50 times. There weren't 50 Daytonas sitting in AD cases in one city.

People wait because they don't want to pay a premium, want to be sure they are getting a real Daytona, and want their name registered to the watch and warranty.

It's all very simple.
Thats correct. But I never said that I saw 50 in "AD" cases. I am not sure where you live but you can go to the Seybold building in Miami and get new Daytonas all day long. I mean this is Miami, there isnt a 25-50 year old latin dude with a few g's to blow that doesnt have a Rolex.
daytona1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 November 2008, 01:23 PM   #18
RolexSoFla

Watch: SS Daytona, ND Sub
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klokke View Post

It's all very simple.
I agree.
RolexSoFla is offline   Reply With Quote