The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 14 November 2008, 12:42 PM   #1
johnswatch
"TRF" Member

Fed up with my SD 4000 Bracelet

I bought an M series SD a few months ago and I'm not really getting on with the bracelet at all.

The watch is so heavy that if it has any slack in the bracelet then it rubs my wrist, have it 'just right' then when my wrist swells in hot weather it gets very uncomfotable.

I've tried a Nato which is great but doesn't work with a suit and tie.

I'm left with several options....
1. Replace bracelet with a rubber strap

2. Sell watch and purchase a non-rolex watch with a better clasp allowing micro adjustments

3. Possibly replace clasp with a micro adjusting clasp such as that found on the deep Sea.

Now option 1 seems like a good idea but I'm having a hard time finding a rubber strap with a good quality deployant. I didn't spend nearly $7k to have a shoddy looking strap

Option 2 is looking like the most likely result and it would be a shame as I love the look of the watch and it's heritage but the strap truly is a disgrace....

Option 3 - spoke to the Melbourne RSC and the lady on the phone said the clasp wouldn't fit and that the RSC would refuse to do it anyway.

So, any suggestions? Can anyone confirm if the Glide Lock clasp only definately won't fit and if it did how I would get hold of one?

I'm sure I saw a picture of a Sub on a Hirsch Leonardo strap with a quality deployant but I can't seem to find it.

Any help is appreciated.
johnswatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 November 2008, 12:48 PM   #2
chicagowatchman
"TRF" Member

Watch: Platinum DDMasterp
Why don't you go with your watch to your AD or the RSC and show them what the problem is you paid top $$$ and they should stand behind it to make it wearable for you or let you return it for a watch that works for you!
Men's SS Cartier Pasha

MEMBER # 5534 USA
CHICAGO IL
chicagowatchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 November 2008, 01:05 PM   #3
Zman86
"TRF" Member

I can say the same thing for my sub bracelet. Somedays it feels great, other days it drives me insane. Love the look, but I cant say I'm too crazy about the way it feels, and have been considering my options.
Zman86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 November 2008, 01:19 PM   #4
johnswatch
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagowatchman View Post
Why don't you go with your watch to your AD or the RSC and show them what the problem is you paid top $$$ and they should stand behind it to make it wearable for you or let you return it for a watch that works for you!
I'd love to think that would make a difference but I'm fairly certain it would fall on deaf ears. It isn't the AD's fault and Rolex can happily point out that the Oyster bracelet has been sold suiccesfully for a million years without any issues.

I'm just a bit disappointed with the watch and want to make it wearable.
Old 14 November 2008, 01:26 PM   #5
Dalton
TechXpert

Watch: 168000
Flip it and get a Sub
Dalton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 November 2008, 01:29 PM   #6
gaopa
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Explorer II
I am having the same problem with a new Omega Seamaster Professional. I just can't seem to get it to fit right. On the other hand, my EXP II is a wonderful fit and very comfortable to wear. I can sympathize with you. Cheers, Bill P.
gaopa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 November 2008, 01:41 PM   #7
Incurable
"TRF" Member

Watch: your P's and Q's
Sorry your frustration has reached such levels. Finding the setting that's "just right" can be a moving target. One thing that helps is making sure the clasp is centered on the back of the wrist. On both my watches, I literally had to move all the removable links to one side to get it right. I wear mine above the wrist bone but slightly loose. I can rotate it a bit but not fully round by any stretch. Everybody's built different and wrist sizes change different amounts in the heat/cold etc. Start with trying to center the clasp (if not already) and see if that helps any.

Rolex GMT Master II 16710 (Blk/Blk)
Rolex Explorer 114270
Sinn 356 Sa Flieger
Limes Endurance 1Tausend
Too many others...

It may seem like I'm doing nothing but, at a cellular level, I'm actually quite busy...
Incurable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 November 2008, 01:42 PM   #8
Incurable
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaopa View Post
I am having the same problem with a new Omega Seamaster Professional. I just can't seem to get it to fit right. On the other hand, my EXP II is a wonderful fit and very comfortable to wear. I can sympathize with you. Cheers, Bill P.

Omega's are notorious for this. You have heard of the 1/2 link options haven't you??

Rolex Explorer 114270
Sinn 356 Sa Flieger
Limes Endurance 1Tausend
Too many others...

It may seem like I'm doing nothing but, at a cellular level, I'm actually quite busy...
Old 14 November 2008, 01:43 PM   #9
chenx15
"TRF" Member

go to the RSC. they'll fix it for you. i had the same problem with my three watches and they fixed them all up free of charge. maybe i was lucky...
chenx15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 November 2008, 01:44 PM   #10
cody p
"TRF" Member

Watch: Air-King 114200
bracelets are never an exact science when it comes to fit. i'd seek out the best compromise and live with it.
cody p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 November 2008, 02:02 PM   #11
Dalton
TechXpert

Quote:
Originally Posted by chenx15 View Post
go to the RSC. they'll fix it for you. i had the same problem with my three watches and they fixed them all up free of charge. maybe i was lucky...
It's not that easy with an SD. the SD has a thicker caseback which makes it sit taller so there's very little you can do if you can't reach a comfort zone. So I say trade it or sell it and get a ND Sub or a regular Sub if you just can't stand living with the beast.
Old 14 November 2008, 02:05 PM   #12
sea-dweller
"TRF" Member

Sell the SD, as it is quite top heavy. Buy a Sub, more comfortable as it sits flatter.
TRF Member #6699 (since September 2007)
sea-dweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 November 2008, 02:17 PM   #13
Andad
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
:>)
The SD is a keeper - try something like this. Weighs about 98 grams without the bracelet.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC08054a.jpg (83.2 KB, 273 views)
File Type: jpg DSC08037.jpg (89.8 KB, 272 views)

Andad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14 November 2008, 02:28 PM   #14
Incurable
"TRF" Member

I like the second strap..

Speaking of straps, you might look at Hirsch or DiModell...

Rolex Explorer 114270
Sinn 356 Sa Flieger
Limes Endurance 1Tausend
Too many others...

Old 14 November 2008, 02:46 PM   #15
johnswatch
"TRF" Member

Would the comfort link in the new Daytona clasp be the answer to my problem?
Old 14 November 2008, 03:05 PM   #16
BMI
"TRF" Member

Watch: 14060M
Icon17

Not my photo but it came from TRF.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg principe3.jpg (59.1 KB, 243 views)
BMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 November 2008, 03:13 PM   #17
stevemulholland3
Banned

Watch: 1680 18k sub
get a gmtIIc,its thick-its tuff-and its beautiful!!!!
(feels great too!,the bracelet has a half link that hides inside the clasp)
stevemulholland3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 November 2008, 03:39 PM   #18
Z-Sub
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Not a ONEWatch Man
I have not played with the bracelet on DSSD.
SD bracelet can be adjusted in small increments.
oddly enough I felt it would not be comfortable but it is very comfortable.
Swelling of hands are very common and normal. You probably know what's the most common size of your wrist throughout the day and aim for the best fit for that size. Yes I like my Expy ll and my Gmt master ll and they are lighter.
TT Blue Submariner "P"
SS GMT-Master ll "M", Pepsi
Pam 311, 524, 297
Z-Sub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 November 2008, 04:21 PM   #19
sfrolex
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnswatch View Post
I bought an M series SD a few months ago and I'm not really getting on with the bracelet at all.

The watch is so heavy that if it has any slack in the bracelet then it rubs my wrist, have it 'just right' then when my wrist swells in hot weather it gets very uncomfotable.

2. Sell watch and purchase a non-rolex watch with a better clasp allowing micro adjustments

3. Possibly replace clasp with a micro adjusting clasp such as that found on the deep Sea.

Now option 1 seems like a good idea but I'm having a hard time finding a rubber strap with a good quality deployant. I didn't spend nearly $7k to have a shoddy looking strap

Option 2 is looking like the most likely result and it would be a shame as I love the look of the watch and it's heritage but the strap truly is a disgrace....

Option 3 - spoke to the Melbourne RSC and the lady on the phone said the clasp wouldn't fit and that the RSC would refuse to do it anyway.

So, any suggestions? Can anyone confirm if the Glide Lock clasp only definately won't fit and if it did how I would get hold of one?

I'm sure I saw a picture of a Sub on a Hirsch Leonardo strap with a quality deployant but I can't seem to find it.

Any help is appreciated.
When I first got my Sub, I had a difficult time with the bracelet. The difference between the 1/2 bracelet adjustments was just enough to make the bigger size a little too big, the smaller just a little too small. I ended up cutting up the soft part of Velcro and taping two little pieces on the inside of the bracelet to tighten up the area a bit. Lame I know but it worked. Then after a while I was able to remove the velcro and use the smaller adjustment of the bracelet and now my watch wears normally. It would be nice if Rolex offered micro adjustments or the expansion bracelet on the Sub.
sfrolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 November 2008, 04:53 PM   #20
klayface

Watch: SS Daytona w/ dial
Lotion on your wrist ? Works for me when it get unfomfortable.

Oh and own sub w date
klayface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 November 2008, 06:07 PM   #21
baldyspoon
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 114060
I had the problem of my wrist being too big for rolex watches, but all my Omega seamasters fit just perfect they are not to tight or loose and have never had to adjust them just lucky I suppose. Maybe you should try out other rolexes and trade in yours for on e that fits more comfortbly
baldyspoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 November 2008, 08:57 PM   #22
dkpw
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610 & 214270
There's good advice here. Mine is based on what it took to get my Sub Date to fit properly.

Move spare links to the 12 o'clock side, so that the clasp is centred as near as possible on the underside of your wrist. Make sure it's loose enough to stick a pinky under the bracelet and make the adjustments on the clasp so that it's tight enough to move round your wrist but not up and down your arm. I'd also make sure you keep the bracelet clean which helps with that fresh feeling on the wrist.

It does sound though that a Sub may be a better option for you.

Good luck.

David
dkpw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 November 2008, 09:36 PM   #23
Randy Marsh
Banned

That's one of the main reason I've sold the SD for. Especially when the weather gets hot in summer. Absolutely unwearable.
Randy Marsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 November 2008, 01:15 AM   #24
Erix
"TRF" Member

Watch: D Sub date 16610
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zman86 View Post
I can say the same thing for my sub bracelet. Somedays it feels great, other days it drives me insane. Love the look, but I cant say I'm too crazy about the way it feels, and have been considering my options.
Just one of the reasons why I normally wear my sub on a Nato or a Bund.

Erix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 November 2008, 01:19 AM   #25
Eli

Flip it like it's 1995 and the economy is booming. Then buy like it's 2008 and Obama is leading the free world!
Eli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 November 2008, 01:20 AM   #26
johnswatch
"TRF" Member

Thanks for all the advice guys.

The clasp is centered correctly and I've made it a bit more comfy for today by shifting the clasp one micro hole larger. It's been over 34 degrees today so it's pretty hot. Problem is tomorrow could be down to 20 and I'll need to move it one notch again.

I'm reluctant to try the Sub date as I prefer the cleaner look of the SD dial and need the date function. Also the SD is a sub on steroids and I love it for that.

I think I'm going to give Hirsch Leonardo a try and see how I get on as I admit using a Nato was really comfy, just didn't look quite right in the office.

So, can anyone confirm if the micro link on the daytona clasp is useful? Any idea where I could get one as I'm fairly sure RSC will say no and I'd like to retain the original clasp in case I sell it to fund a Sub date or GMT later on.
Old 15 November 2008, 02:11 AM   #27
pricojorge
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sea dweller.
wanna know a ghetto trick i use ???

well take the pin from the divers extension, then bite down a little bet the clasp and now you can move around the other part by just pulling on it and shouldnt go loose since you bit it down
Old 15 November 2008, 02:42 AM   #28
Dalton
TechXpert

get yourself a Bond Nato band and you'll find that this Nato looks good even with a tuxedo. I hope this helps. My friend hated the cyclops on his Sub too, so he removed it and it looks great!
Old 15 November 2008, 02:58 AM   #29
Passion4Rolex

Watch: Omega Speedmaster
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnswatch View Post

Any help is appreciated.
Johnswatch have you removed the sticker from the back of the watch? I dident do this and found i was constantly adjusting the strap, it felt horrible! now its off its fine! quite nice to!
Passion4Rolex is offline   Reply With Quote