The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 23 November 2008, 06:59 PM   #1
ErikAalto
"TRF" Member

Watch: Datejust
Independent Watchmaker Recommendations?

I recently took my Datejust to the RSC in Beverly Hills, and they refused to service the watch because it was modified with an aftermarket fluted bezel (not of Rolex manufacture). They told me that I would have to go through an independent watchmaker if I wanted to have it serviced.

That said, can you recommend an independent watchmaker?

I tried doing some searching, and it looks like Bob Ridley is highly recommended.

I shot him an e-mail, are there any others I should consider?

Thanks in advance for any input!
ErikAalto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 November 2008, 07:05 PM   #2
marshallr47
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona,TT Sub,GMT
There's a gentleman here on this Forum, I think his name is Dalton. He does outstanding work. I'm sure someone will chime in shortly with answers...good luck.
Old 23 November 2008, 07:27 PM   #3
Spark
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too Many
It might also be worth your while trying either of the Independent Rolex Service Centers in Chicago and San Francisco

The addresses are:

Rolex Service Center
210 Post St #705
San Francisco California 94108
Tel (415) 982-9830

Rolex Service Center
55 E Washington #311
Chicago Illinois 60602
Tel (312) 782-7768
Spark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 November 2008, 01:11 AM   #4
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 SUBMARINER Patron

Watch: GMT's
I agree with Mark....

Take/send it to the San Fran shop.. They should be able to do the job or recommend another watchmaker who will.... Beverlyl Hills usually has a list of independents too... Also, call around to some of the bigger Dealers such as Ben Bridge and ask if they have a watchmaker on staff. Then talk to him/her, I'll bet they will do the job and even give you a warranty...

Let me say though, I am surprized that they would just refuse..........normally they would offer to do the job with a new Rolex bezel installed... Most lilke the idea thet they would then have an authentic piece.
Old 24 November 2008, 02:21 AM   #5
dublrnutn1
"TRF" Member

Sutters watch repair is no longer at 55 E. Washington, new address is :

30 N. Michigan Ave. Suite 601
Chicago, Il. 60602
Phone 312-782-7768
Fax 312-795-9050
dublrnutn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 November 2008, 02:23 AM   #6
ErikAalto
"TRF" Member

It didn't make much sense to me either that they would refuse.
Old 24 November 2008, 02:31 AM   #7
DocD
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariner date
I have used and recommended to several members of this forum, a watchmaker in Philadelphia named Sam Kalter. He's a second generation watchmaker and he definitely has a "parts account" with Rolex. My brother-in-law used his services for a vintage Rolex and he did an outstanding job. When I went to pick up the watch, he opened several drawers with many Rolex parts, sealed in Rolex pouches, etc.

He was an independent Rolex repair shop many years ago, prior to Rolex eliminating that role. However, if you had official "training" by Rolex, they did allow many independent watchmakers to maintain "parts accounts" with Rolex to still service watches with genuine parts.

On an interesting side note, Sam informed me that any parts he removes from a Rolex that has any marking of Rolex on the part, MUST be sent back to Rolex to prevent that part from being re-used in a counterfeit watch, etc.

If you'd like his address, phone number, etc., send me a PM.
DocD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 November 2008, 02:41 AM   #8
timetravel125
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikAalto View Post
I recently took my Datejust to the RSC in Beverly Hills, and they refused to service the watch because it was modified with an aftermarket fluted bezel (not of Rolex manufacture). They told me that I would have to go through an independent watchmaker if I wanted to have it serviced.

That said, can you recommend an independent watchmaker?

I tried doing some searching, and it looks like Bob Ridley is highly recommended.

I shot him an e-mail, are there any others I should consider?

Thanks in advance for any input!
How extent is the modification, may I ask? The issue of RSC not servicing modified watches had been discussed here at TRF many a times. For instance, my wife's DJ has an aftermarket diamond bezel, that eventually will need service. I had been told by the "elders" of this forum, that San Francisco RSC (independent) will have no qualms servicing it in the future. The bezel will surely be replaced with an original bezel, and, the return of diamond bezel should be expected.

If, and if your watch is heavily modified, there liess the hesitation of the RSC's. However, San Francisco RSC will be able to help you, IMHO.

I hope you get the service you are looking for.

Cheers.
timetravel125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 November 2008, 02:17 PM   #9
ErikAalto
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by timetravel125 View Post
How extent is the modification, may I ask? The issue of RSC not servicing modified watches had been discussed here at TRF many a times. For instance, my wife's DJ has an aftermarket diamond bezel, that eventually will need service. I had been told by the "elders" of this forum, that San Francisco RSC (independent) will have no qualms servicing it in the future. The bezel will surely be replaced with an original bezel, and, the return of diamond bezel should be expected.

If, and if your watch is heavily modified, there liess the hesitation of the RSC's. However, San Francisco RSC will be able to help you, IMHO.

I hope you get the service you are looking for.

Cheers.
I was actually kind of surprised - it's a standard fluted bezel, and the crystal is not correct for the model. The watch may have originally came with a different bezel, and they placed an aftermarket fluted bezel on there. It was news to me when RSC BH let me know. I was a little disappointed.

Here are some pics of the bezel/crystal...it is a reference 16014, serial 577xxxx...placing it around 1979/1980.