The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 7 July 2018, 01:01 AM   #1
pickettt
"TRF" Member

Watch: Shiny One
Visited my AD yesterday and....

....they are no longer an AD! For whatever reason, the salesperson who has been there for 23 years didn’t want to elaborate as to why. No more Rolex in the window, no Rolex case, no big crown on the wall. I would be interested to know if it was Rolex’s decision or theirs. It is a chain store, and many of their stores don’t carry Rolex anyway. Any thoughts?
pickettt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 July 2018, 01:03 AM   #2
yxc145
"TRF" Member

Watch: SkyD,JC, BLNR, Ex2
maybe because there is nothing to sell?
yxc145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 July 2018, 01:05 AM   #3
ap1
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Secret shopper caught them moving the blro out the loading doc
ap1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 July 2018, 01:08 AM   #4
eltonbalch
"TRF" Member

Well, if they can’t get them it’s really tough to sell them! But, seriously, they have obviously calculated that it is no longer worth it to them. It’s also possible Rolex was involved somehow, but you’ll likely never find out.
eltonbalch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 July 2018, 01:15 AM   #5
pickettt
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eltonbalch View Post
Well, if they can’t get them it’s really tough to sell them! But, seriously, they have obviously calculated that it is no longer worth it to them. It’s also possible Rolex was involved somehow, but you’ll likely never find out.
Right. The chain is Ben Bridge, btw. I wonder if they are free to move their “dealerships” around within their stores without Rolex getting involved. That is to say, can they pull all of the watches from one store and put them into another with impunity depending upon market conditions? And then move them back? At some point, this demand issue will be resolved....and Rolex probably won’t be the catalyst, the economy will.
Old 7 July 2018, 01:18 AM   #6
T01
"TRF" Member

Interesting it was Ben Bridge considering how many Rolex AD's they have. Store was likely underperforming, I doubt it was foul play.
T01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 July 2018, 01:19 AM   #7
wfc3
"TRF" Member

I looked and the Ben Bridge website still shows a bunch of stores as AD’s. FWIW

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
wfc3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 July 2018, 01:24 AM   #8
pickettt
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wfc3 View Post
I looked and the Ben Bridge website still shows a bunch of stores as AD’s. FWIW

I know the whole chain didn’t lose the brand. I also know some of the stores never carried Rolex in the first place. I wonder if that’s an internal choice, or if Rolex stipulates.
Old 7 July 2018, 01:40 AM   #9
ArtNouveau
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: BLRO/Daytona/OP41s
Ben Bridges locations always have different mixes of brands. When the Rolex Boutique (supported by another local AD) moved into the Houston Galleria a couple of years ago, the Ben Bridge there and Tourneau had the line pulled, I’m sure a RolexUSA decision. But they picked up Panerai, Jaeger, and Tudor at that time. They have a half dozen outlets around town and only two stock Rolex. I’m sure it’s an internal decision also tempered by Rolex proximity rules.
ArtNouveau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 July 2018, 02:21 AM   #10
uhren917
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710 BLNR
Icon4

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickettt View Post
Right. The chain is Ben Bridge, btw. I wonder if they are free to move their “dealerships” around within their stores without Rolex getting involved. That is to say, can they pull all of the watches from one store and put them into another with impunity depending upon market conditions? And then move them back? At some point, this demand issue will be resolved....and Rolex probably won’t be the catalyst, the economy will.
Which Ben Bridge (BB) location that stopped selling Rolex are you referring to?

The ones I go to still sell them.
uhren917 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 July 2018, 02:31 AM   #11
pickettt
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by uhren917 View Post
Which Ben Bridge (BB) location that stopped selling Rolex are you referring to?

The ones I go to still sell them.
Brea just stopped, and Montclair never has. Riverside still does, as far as I know.
Old 7 July 2018, 02:48 AM   #12
2nastie
"TRF" Member

Watch: Time Only
Locally here we have reduced the number of Rolex ADs by 2. But netted 1 Boutique.

Rolex and a lot of brands are playing the Boutique game. With the Boutique they promise more allocations, etc. and are of course exclusively Rolex. That in itself without "increasing production" simply means shifting the entire Rolex allocation of a couple ADs and putting it into one Rolex store.

Another Rolex AD "gave up" but more than likely had their inventory/AD status reallocated to the new Boutique. Instead they are getting a Patek Boutique (which have been better sales for them overall).
2nastie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 July 2018, 02:56 AM   #13
Fleetlord
2024 Pledge Member

BB probably wouldn't pony up the money for a Rolex "boutique" style build out in that particular location.

I have seen this happen just recently. One major chain told Rolex nope. They didn't have to worry about the brand as Rolex pulled the line in short order and awarded it to a competitor in the same mall. This store GLADLY agreed to build out the boutique as requested and kicked out Panerai and possibly Breitling in order to make space.

Who do you think made the right decision?
Fleetlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 July 2018, 03:24 AM   #14
xspect
"TRF" Member

My closest AD said Rolex reduced the number of Rolex AD's got reduced by 150 over the last 2-3 years. It had nothing to do with volume or sales. They said they didnt ever have a problem moving any products. They were a dealer for over 20 years. They did say Rolex wanted to be the most visible presence in the store. They are a small jewelry store that sells, fountian pens, high end knives (I didnt know a pocket knife can cost up to $4000), watches, but are really known in the area for custom jewelry.
xspect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 July 2018, 03:28 AM   #15
Largoshark
"TRF" Member

This is one of the reasons I'm hesitant to build a relationship with an AD...
Largoshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 July 2018, 03:50 AM   #16
piratepress
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR
My closest AD lost it's Rolex status last year after 25 years. No big loss, though, as they never got any sport models so I shopped elsewhere.
piratepress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 July 2018, 04:04 AM   #17
GMT Fan
"TRF" Member

The Rolex web site still lists an AD at the Ben Bridge at Brea Mall (1022 Brea Mall). Is this the place in question?
GMT Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 July 2018, 04:13 AM   #18
NKflyer
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleetlord View Post
BB probably wouldn't pony up the money for a Rolex "boutique" style build out in that particular location.

I have seen this happen just recently. One major chain told Rolex nope. They didn't have to worry about the brand as Rolex pulled the line in short order and awarded it to a competitor in the same mall. This store GLADLY agreed to build out the boutique as requested and kicked out Panerai and possibly Breitling in order to make space.

Bingo. The only AD in my county stopped selling Rolex because they were being pressured to do an expensive remodel.

The truth is that Rolex is the lowest margin (percentage-wise) items sold at jewelry stores. But it brings in a lot of traffic and is perceived as prestigious.

Who knows who is right or wrong to give up the concession?
NKflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 July 2018, 04:19 AM   #19
Navarino
2024 Pledge Member

Is it the Ben Bridge at Del Amo in Torrance, by chance? I could see that one not wanting to foot the bill for a remodel of the Rolex section in the back. I'm sure the other AD down the street (Morgan's) does much better than them when it comes to Rolex sales/inventory as well...
Navarino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 July 2018, 04:20 AM   #20
ArtNouveau
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: BLRO/Daytona/OP41s
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleetlord View Post

Speaking of Breitling, there's a Breitling Boutique under construction in the Houston Galleria to go with the Rolex, Omega, and Hublot ones there already. While looking at the Tudor GMT at Ben Bridge last week I asked the manager if they would lose the Breitling line when it opens. He said no, the Breitling Boutique is owned by Ben Bridge.
ArtNouveau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 July 2018, 04:37 AM   #21
pickettt
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMT Fan View Post
The Rolex web site still lists an AD at the Ben Bridge at Brea Mall (1022 Brea Mall). Is this the place in question?
Yes, I was there yesterday. They took them all out of the window, case, and stripped the crown off the wall. It's all been in the last two weeks.
Old 7 July 2018, 05:32 AM   #22
doboy007
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR/LVc/SkyD/ND41
Quote:
Brea just stopped, and Montclair never has. Riverside still does, as far as I know.
BB in Fashion Valley mall in San Diego is no longer an AD (as of this year), but one in UTC mall still is.
doboy007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 July 2018, 05:52 AM   #23
texasmade
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP RO 15400, FOIS
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtNouveau View Post
Speaking of Breitling, there's a Breitling Boutique under construction in the Houston Galleria to go with the Rolex, Omega, and Hublot ones there already. While looking at the Tudor GMT at Ben Bridge last week I asked the manager if they would lose the Breitling line when it opens. He said no, the Breitling Boutique is owned by Ben Bridge.
The only store that gets traffic is the Rolex boutique. All of the other stores are usually dead.

I stop by the Omega boutique to chat and try on watches when I do go to the Galleria as the sales people are pretty friendly. I don't do the same with Rolex though.
texasmade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 July 2018, 06:00 AM   #24
cda555
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT IIc and PO
I always feel terrible for the people who establish a relationship with an AD, then something like this happens.
cda555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 July 2018, 06:16 AM   #25
bayerische
"TRF" Member

Watch: Smurf
Quote:
Originally Posted by yxc145 View Post
maybe because there is nothing to sell?

Excellent point!
Old 7 July 2018, 06:23 AM   #26
AdaWit711
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR
Bummer, that’s been my closest AD for years, but they have never been able to locate anything for me. It’s only been a window shopping location.

AdaWit711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 July 2018, 07:28 AM   #27
Hodog16
"TRF" Member

Watch: RG Olive DD40
Usually it’s either they did something shady which is less likely now because Rolex has put the fear of God into every AD I’ve visited in the past 6 years or more likely they were underperforming, didn’t want to spend the money to renovate, or didn’t want to stop selling competitors.

My AD had to renovate an entire section to Rolex who actually brought in the materials and people to work on it. Rolex is very protective of the brand in that fashion. They were also told in between the lines not to get Breitling which they were considering.

What’s funny is the margin on Rolexes isn’t very good but it’s a halo brand that gets people into the door.
Hodog16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 July 2018, 08:05 AM   #28
jacksprat
"TRF" Member

Quote:
On the other hand, my local Ben Bridge just added Tudor to their store and continue to have a huge Rolex display *shrugs*
jacksprat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 July 2018, 08:19 AM   #29
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by cda555 View Post
I always feel terrible for the people who establish a relationship with an AD, then something like this happens.
Or a new manager comes in every year.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 July 2018, 08:38 AM   #30
CoveWatch
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & AP
Well that sucks... it was one of the reasons I sometimes go to brea mall

Last edited by CoveWatch; 7 July 2018 at 10:00 AM.. Reason: Mistaken mall
CoveWatch is offline   Reply With Quote