The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 7 July 2018, 01:57 AM   #1
yoda888
"TRF" Member

where have all the SS sport watches gone?

Serious question, we all know there's a shortage of SS watches at ADs. The question is where have they all gone? It's not like Rolex decided, "We have too much demand for Datejusts, so let's cut back production of SS for 6+ months and concentrate on the DJs."

Is Rolex just producing them but holding them all in inventory and planning to flood the market all at once? I mean there's barely a trickle of SS out there.

I talked to my AD yesterday inquiring about a Hulk. She stated that it's so ridiculous now that they're not taking names anymore. They simply cannot deliver at this point in time due to a lack of visibility. She mentioned that even your standard classic black sub with date is taking them 2-months to get it to folks.

She did say that the Hulk demand has gone thru the roof with Chinese buyers lately. Apparently some celebrity was photographed wearing one, and it was off to the races. (much like the japanese celebrity years ago for the 14270)

Keep in mind, this AD is one of the largest (easily top 3) Rolex dealers in the country, so they move a lot of inventory.

I sense a harvard business review case study at some point here...Especially if rolex is just producing SS and sitting on them and plans to flood the market all at once!
yoda888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 July 2018, 02:00 AM   #2
Al1969
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoda888 View Post
Serious question, we all know there's a shortage of SS watches at ADs. The question is where have they all gone? It's not like Rolex decided, "We have too much demand for Datejusts, so let's cut back production of SS for 6+ months and concentrate on the DJs."

Is Rolex just producing them but holding them all in inventory and planning to flood the market all at once? I mean there's barely a trickle of SS out there.

I talked to my AD yesterday inquiring about a Hulk. She stated that it's so ridiculous now that they're not taking names anymore. They simply cannot deliver at this point in time due to a lack of visibility. She mentioned that even your standard classic black sub with date is taking them 2-months to get it to folks.

She did say that the Hulk demand has gone thru the roof with Chinese buyers lately. Apparently some celebrity was photographed wearing one, and it was off to the races. (much like the japanese celebrity years ago for the 14270)

Keep in mind, this AD is one of the largest (easily top 3) Rolex dealers in the country, so they move a lot of inventory.

I sense a harvard business review case study at some point here...Especially if rolex is just producing SS and sitting on them and plans to flood the market all at once!
Check the classifieds.
Most are available and for sale...at a premium of course.
Old 7 July 2018, 02:03 AM   #3
scooba
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Anything
I think there is more demand than ever and MrRolex just isn’t making enough
scooba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 July 2018, 02:06 AM   #4
Loevhagen
"TRF" Member

The answer, my friend, is blowing in the wind.
Loevhagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 July 2018, 02:06 AM   #5
Mystro
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

The secret is out in Hollywood with the LVc as it is popping up on celebrities and sport stars wrist. As a owner and watch spotter, I have seen a explosion of Hulk sightings on TV.

Old 7 July 2018, 02:09 AM   #6
droptopman
"TRF" Member

Watch: SUBS and GMT's!
Demand is up worldwide. I do not believe Rolex is "sitting on" stock. There was a large increase in demand last year and they sold all their inventory faster than they predicted. I believe they are making and shipping out watches according to their business plan. Some think Rolex has some conspiracy to keep the watches from us. I do not buy into this theory. Just a simple increase in demand and now it is hard to get any SS pro models.
Ty: By height.
droptopman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 July 2018, 02:14 AM   #7
Raku
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Explorer
They go to the grey dealers, ADs need to move the stock, the faster the better.
And then you see ridiculous prices like £20,000 for the new Pepsi.
Raku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 July 2018, 02:18 AM   #8
Rolexavidfan
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by droptopman View Post
Demand is up worldwide. I do not believe Rolex is "sitting on" stock. There was a large increase in demand last year and they sold all their inventory faster than they predicted. I believe they are making and shipping out watches according to their business plan. Some think Rolex has some conspiracy to keep the watches from us. I do not buy into this theory. Just a simple increase in demand and now it is hard to get any SS pro models.

It was not the case prior to 1st half of 2017. I see the SS sport stocks like BLNR and LVc on the shelf of AD in Chicago. But now not anymore.

Someone, somewhere, somehow, something is not right. Just summing my sentiments as I don’t buy all the summary theories on the shortage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Go for the timepiece you love. You will save more. ...
Rolexavidfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 July 2018, 02:18 AM   #9
GreatScott
"TRF" Member

I think they need to put some yacht masters on the wrists of celebrities, they are the only sport model readily available.
GreatScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 July 2018, 02:20 AM   #10
05carbondrz
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raku View Post
They go to the grey dealers, ADs need to move the stock, the faster the better.
And then you see ridiculous prices like £20,000 for the new Pepsi.
This is my line of thinking as well.
05carbondrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 July 2018, 02:22 AM   #11
SFBAY
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Shreve and Co?
SFBAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 July 2018, 02:34 AM   #12
lightingball2
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFBAY View Post
Shreve and Co?

I was in there 2 weeks ago at the Palo Alto store. They had an Airking and a white dial Explorer II. That’s it!

lightingball2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 July 2018, 02:55 AM   #13
yoda888
"TRF" Member

Negative. I'm sure they're one of the largest in the Bay Area. My AD is out on the east coast.

I just can't believe that the same amount of SS product is out there, just people buying everything up. There are less ADs now, so you'd imagine they'd have more inventory.

For the first half of 2017, you could walk into most ADs and view a black/blue GMT and Hulk. Now it appears they're the "new daytonas" and the daytonas have become unobtanium.

I should sell my watches now, and sit on the sidelines to see if the market becomes flooded and the rebuy then. If my bet is wrong my kid will have nothing to inherit from me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightingball2 View Post
I was in there 2 weeks ago at the Palo Alto store. They had an Airking and a white dial Explorer II. That’s it!

Old 7 July 2018, 02:59 AM   #14
jeanjean
Banned

Not sure at all but I do believe Rolex get a tight control on the sport models because: 1/scaring of economic crise like in 2009 and 2/ by that protect the brand value.
jeanjean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 July 2018, 03:07 AM   #15
lucevan le stelle
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeanjean View Post
Not sure at all but I do believe Rolex get a tight control on the sport models because: 1/scaring of economic crise like in 2009 and 2/ by that protect the brand value.
Second this. Stock market projections and potential trade wars suggest scarcity is the means of maintaining value and even upping demand. The worst thing for Rolex would be for ADs to sell at a discount, like some other luxury watch brands.
lucevan le stelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 July 2018, 03:11 AM   #16
Bigblu10
Banned

Forget the Hulk. Buy a gold Sub, Yellow or White. Easier to find and still with a nice discount.
Bigblu10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 July 2018, 03:11 AM   #17
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Truly guys, feel deeply ashamed. It's me; my fault really. Here's what went down....

A guy in Nigeria sent me an e-mail and before ya know it, had a few hund' mill' in da bank and so have been busying buying every 'popular'* SS Rolex out there (*'popular' cuz i've been da one buying 'em so you can't).

Sorry, my bad.

Don't be hatin' da playa...

Love timepieces and want to become a Watchmaker? Rolex has a sensational school.
www.RolexWatchmakingTrainingCenter.com/

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 7 July 2018, 03:15 AM   #18
josephvman
Banned

Great, we needed another thread about this. The horse is dead, so maybe find something interesting to post, like an actual watch review. This continued useless fixation on pricing and availability is ruining this forum.
josephvman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 July 2018, 03:16 AM   #19
FTX I
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystro View Post
The secret is out in Hollywood with the LVc as it is popping up on celebrities and sport stars wrist. As a owner and watch spotter, I have seen a explosion of Hulk sightings on TV.

Same guy again?
FTX I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 July 2018, 03:25 AM   #20
HL65
TRF Moderator & 2024 SUBMARINER Patron

Watch: One on my wrist.
Fresh topic thanks so much for sharing!

SPEM SUCCESSUS ALIT
HL65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 July 2018, 03:30 AM   #21
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

BTW, Mark Webber was wearing a Hulk during this past weekend's F1 after qual and race interviews. Was very obviously Mark was wearing a Rolex Hulk during the after qual interviews.

Love timepieces and want to become a Watchmaker? Rolex has a sensational school.
www.RolexWatchmakingTrainingCenter.com/

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 7 July 2018, 03:32 AM   #22
AJMarcus
"TRF" Member

Watch: Swiss
The gray dealers mostly. The proliferation of gray dealers has just skyrocketed since the advent of the internet in the past decade or so. I think that is a serious factor in the shortage of popular SS models
AJMarcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 July 2018, 03:47 AM   #23
yoda888
"TRF" Member

This is the running theory. But let me ask this. Do you think the larger established dealers are selling to grays?

Can you imagine a Shreve, a Wempe, or any of these selling to grays? Or selling to their customers directly and building a relationship.

I mean the grays have some inventory, and they're paying a premium. But it's not like each gray out there has 5 white and 5 black daytonas, 5 hulks and 5 batmans. They might have 1-2 at most of these particular models.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJMarcus View Post
The gray dealers mostly. The proliferation of gray dealers has just skyrocketed since the advent of the internet in the past decade or so. I think that is a serious factor in the shortage of popular SS models
Old 7 July 2018, 03:52 AM   #24
Art 1
Banned

Watch: Rol/Seik/Tud/Omega
Quote:
Originally Posted by HL65 View Post
Fresh topic thanks so much for sharing!
Art 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 July 2018, 03:53 AM   #25
yoda888
"TRF" Member

Can't review a rolex if we can't get our hands on them. Don't think I'm going to post here reviewing my Omega moonwatch.

I'm not fixated on pricing. I'm just asking a question and would like to hear what others think the shortage is caused by. It's fun to speculate, isn't that part of the hobby?

We've heard the winter shutdown theory, but we're into summer now and there's nothing out there. Are they trying to crush the grays? If anything this is probably helping the grays.

Regardless, if this ends up being some sort of business decision, I suspect it will be dissected by business students in the future.

BTW, not trying to be an arse, but if you don't like the topic, move along. No need to read, comment and crap on the thread. The need for everyone to comment negatively because they don't like a topic is ruining the internet in general. (Have you ever seen a discussion on oil in the car forums?!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by josephvman View Post
Great, we needed another thread about this. The horse is dead, so maybe find something interesting to post, like an actual watch review. This continued useless fixation on pricing and availability is ruining this forum.
Old 7 July 2018, 03:56 AM   #26
Faddius
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex SD4k
Quote:
Do you think the larger established dealers are selling to grays?

Can you imagine a Shreve, a Wempe, or any of these selling to grays?
In short YES...
Faddius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 July 2018, 04:06 AM   #27
yoda888
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faddius View Post
In short YES...
Wempe is essentially running the Rolex boutique for Rolex. That would be very very ballsy to do as Rolex would simply pull the line from Wempe.

I guess I'm having a hard time in general believing the larger ADs would do this. The smaller guys yes, I can easily see it as they need to move inventory and generate cash flow.

Plus, when I went to the boutique in vegas they didn't have any SS watches either. The boutiques are selling to grays too?
Old 7 July 2018, 04:19 AM   #28
AJMarcus
"TRF" Member

Watch: Swiss
Quote:
Wempe is essentially running the Rolex boutique for Rolex. That would be very very ballsy to do as Rolex would simply pull the line from Wempe.

I guess I'm having a hard time in general believing the larger ADs would do this. The smaller guys yes, I can easily see it as they need to move inventory and generate cash flow.

Plus, when I went to the boutique in vegas they didn't have any SS watches either. The boutiques are selling to grays too?
It’s all about making a profit and some are more greedy than others and willing to take a risk. . Does not stretch credulity from my optic. As long as they deal with someone they can trust. Heck...Thats why some loose their AD status usually and we know that has happened. How else can a Gray get a NIB with open papers. It’s not Rolex selling to them
AJMarcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 July 2018, 04:30 AM   #29
scarlet knight
"TRF" Member

Watch: Good ones
Matt LeBlanc caused a Hulk shortage?
scarlet knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 July 2018, 05:02 AM   #30
SearChart
TechXpert

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarlet knight View Post
Matt LeBlanc caused a Hulk shortage?
Of course!
And Elon Musk bought all the other SS watches which are now on the way to Mars for the first 1million people to inhabit that place.
SearChart is online now   Reply With Quote