The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 1 August 2018, 02:48 PM   #1
Sam94
"TRF" Member

“You missed the boat buddy!” No more Rolex discounts??

So I went in a couple days ago to purchase a new Datejust Two tone (Vancouver, BC Canada) and they would not flinch at all and would not offer any discount whatsoever and explained that Rolex would take away their dealer license if they discount at all. Went to a second location and got the same story and the “brand ambassador” for Rolex in this area told me I “missed the boat buddy!” And said that maybe 3 months ago I could get a discount but now they won’t discount anything. Ever. Said Rolex want to be like Louis Vuitton and people pay the listed price and don’t question it. They had 50+ datejust and would not flinch even when I pulled out $10,000+ in cash... Is this a new thing or am I just getting bad sales people? Does anybody know any grey market dealers in the Vancouver area by any chance? Anything helps, thanks
Sam94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 August 2018, 03:27 PM   #2
rcambrid
"TRF" Member

I bought a SS DJ from an AD about a month ago and got 10% without asking. Maybe it was just in the case a while...
rcambrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 August 2018, 03:29 PM   #3
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

its how it should be however discounts are still possible on certain models.

Discounts are the enemy of value retention as someone can always get a better one so look at it as a positive.
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 August 2018, 04:05 PM   #4
Sam94
"TRF" Member

Honestly I think this has to do with the fact that Vancouver is flooded with rich asians that pay full price on a 30k price for their 15 year old son (literally what happened when I went in to the first AD) they feel like they don’t need to sell any piece at a discount because someone will walk in the door and pay full pop without looking at the tag.
Old 1 August 2018, 04:14 PM   #5
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam94 View Post
Honestly I think this has to do with the fact that Vancouver is flooded with rich asians that pay full price on a 30k price for their 15 year old son (literally what happened when I went in to the first AD) they feel like they don’t need to sell any piece at a discount because someone will walk in the door and pay full pop without looking at the tag.
your original post was better. Moving on to blaming ethnic groups for that fact you have to pay full price is moving into poor taste.
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
Old 1 August 2018, 04:27 PM   #6
sensui
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1980 View Post
your original post was better. Moving on to blaming ethnic groups for that fact you have to pay full price is moving into poor taste.
Agreed....though there is truth to his post unfortunately. Too much money oozing from the Chinese (especially China) lately especially that's definitely had a hand int he current environment for Rolex. I say this with objectivity, as I'm Chinese myself from Taiwan.
sensui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 August 2018, 04:30 PM   #7
rootbeer7
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Making it local is in poor taste. Globally, the state of play can be blamed on the rapidly rising economies.
Old 1 August 2018, 04:31 PM   #8
Sam94
"TRF" Member

Well that is just the fact of the matter haha. But if anyone knows any grey market dealers or trusted sellers in the lower mainland BC that would be really helpful!
Old 1 August 2018, 05:09 PM   #9
Old Geezer
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126619LB and more
Quote:
So I went in a couple days ago to purchase a new Datejust Two tone (Vancouver, BC Canada) and they would not flinch at all and would not offer any discount whatsoever and explained that Rolex would take away their dealer license if they discount at all. Went to a second location and got the same story and the “brand ambassador” for Rolex in this area told me I “missed the boat buddy!” And said that maybe 3 months ago I could get a discount but now they won’t discount anything. Ever. Said Rolex want to be like Louis Vuitton and people pay the listed price and don’t question it. They had 50+ datejust and would not flinch even when I pulled out $10,000+ in cash... Is this a new thing or am I just getting bad sales people? Does anybody know any grey market dealers in the Vancouver area by any chance? Anything helps, thanks
Sounds like a game of chicken to see who flinches first
I’m sure the game will change if those 50 watches are still gathering dust in the case in a few weeks. If there was one you wanted, I’d go back in a few weeks and if it still there make them an offer. Good luck.
Old Geezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 August 2018, 05:14 PM   #10
Vivalas
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP
I got 10% off my wife’s datejust recently.
Vivalas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1 August 2018, 05:33 PM   #11
DARK_KNIGHT
"TRF" Member

Watch: Cartier
Quote:
Originally Posted by sensui View Post
Agreed....though there is truth to his post unfortunately. Too much money oozing from the Chinese (especially China) lately especially that's definitely had a hand int he current environment for Rolex. I say this with objectivity, as I'm Chinese myself from Taiwan.
....from the Chinese (especially China)?

Old 1 August 2018, 05:35 PM   #12
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DARK_KNIGHT View Post

Taiwan is ethnic Chinese. The country and the ethnic group are not the same thing.
Old 1 August 2018, 05:42 PM   #13
joli160
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
Quote:
its how it should be however discounts are still possible on certain models.

Discounts are the enemy of value retention as someone can always get a better one so look at it as a positive.
Zero discounts would be the best for everybody in the long run, but most AD's won't play
Old 1 August 2018, 05:54 PM   #14
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joli160 View Post
Zero discounts would be the best for everybody in the long run, but most AD's won't play
at least with SS its becoming more normal and not just the professional line. With PM though, not happening
Old 1 August 2018, 08:12 PM   #15
Fat_ninja
Banned

Watch: P-01
I just got a discount 5-15% depending on the watch we are talking PM model tho... and the trade involved. No trade 15% At least
Fat_ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 August 2018, 08:29 PM   #16
avidflyer

Really waiting to see what happens when we have the first pull back of the US economy. Not worried about some major collapse, but everything is cyclic. How will the AD attitudes change?
avidflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 August 2018, 08:43 PM   #17
HubbleNox
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT BLNR
Seller's market right now, especially with SS. Most ADs would probably charge over MSRP if allowed nowadays. Every thing is a cycle. Price will come down eventually. But not in the near future.
HubbleNox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 August 2018, 08:46 PM   #18
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
In big cities discounts will be much harder to get even on DJs now, best to find a smaller town one.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 August 2018, 08:56 PM   #19
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Quote:
“You missed the boat buddy!” No more Rolex discounts??
Good

If only this were 100% uniform across the dealer network
Omega Seamaster SMP300m, Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent Clock
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 August 2018, 09:08 PM   #20
R G
Banned

Quote:

Is this not the case?

Is this stereotype not true?
R G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 August 2018, 09:16 PM   #21
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by R G View Post
Is this not the case?

Is this stereotype not true?
i was objecting to the dog whistle term "flooded" by a particular ethnic group. It implies something entirely different and quite negative than saying it another way.
Old 1 August 2018, 09:19 PM   #22
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by avidflyer View Post
Really waiting to see what happens when we have the first pull back of the US economy. Not worried about some major collapse, but everything is cyclic. How will the AD attitudes change?
that wont necessarily affect Canada. But yes, in this market globally, Rolex and the AD's have the power. When watches are harder to sell it shifts to the buyers.
Old 1 August 2018, 09:32 PM   #23
jaisonline
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 5 digit models
Watches are like cars. MSRP is just a “suggested” retail price. The vast majority of watches should be purchased at a discount. The exceptions are models with extreme demand. Just like many SS Rolex models, they are some car models that dealers just know will command full MSRP.

I would recommend never paying MSRP for a car let alone a watch unless it's a SS Daytona, Sub, etc... why? The market commands it for those models.
jaisonline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 August 2018, 09:38 PM   #24
Etschell
"TRF" Member

Watch: platinum sub
i would tell them i am not your buddy, guy.

25 or 6 to 4.
Etschell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 August 2018, 10:30 PM   #25
Thuilln
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16570
Quote:
i was objecting to the dog whistle term "flooded" by a particular ethnic group. It implies something entirely different and quite negative than saying it another way.
Have a trip to Vancouver and see for yourself. It's a hard fact. Nothing racist about that, it's just how it is. Have a look at the real estate while you're there. Being from London you won't find it too high, but for us Canadians it's crazy high. And there's only one reason for that.

Old 1 August 2018, 10:56 PM   #26
1William

Watch: Rolex/Others
I believe that there are AD's that will deal for cash. Just keep looking and get online and find a Trusted Seller in Canada.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 August 2018, 10:58 PM   #27
jsausley
"TRF" Member

Watch: 214270/116710BLNR
Quote:
While he's wrong to blame an ethnic group, there is actually fundamental truth in the demographics argument that these people are spending a lot of money. If you're blaming them for spending a lot of money, that's in poor taste. You could also just as easily say, "I'm really glad all of this new money is flooding in from China and helping boost our local economy and keep our ADs afloat."

I always enjoy looking at these posts about the young kids in Vancouver driving Ferraris. I don't resent them. I envy them and I'm glad that the system (capitalism) is working for some folks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by avidflyer View Post
Literally 18-24 months ago people were still in the "the economy is still weak and/or recovering slowly." What changed so rapidly?

I'm glad the economy is booming and if a downturn lets me get a BLNR on a discount, I'd be fine with that, but if we still have ten years of growth before the recession that's a lot better for me (and everyone else who owns stock/real estate/investments of any kind).
jsausley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 August 2018, 11:01 PM   #28
rolexinfl
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsausley View Post
While he's wrong to blame an ethnic group, there is actually fundamental truth in the demographics argument that these people are spending a lot of money. If you're blaming them for spending a lot of money, that's in poor taste. You could also just as easily say, "I'm really glad all of this new money is flooding in from China and helping boost our local economy and keep our ADs afloat."

I always enjoy looking at these posts about the young kids in Vancouver driving Ferraris. I don't resent them. I envy them and I'm glad that the system (capitalism) is working for some folks.
Vancouver is like a not-crappy version of NYC. Kinda nice, actually. Kids in Ferrari's and all..
rolexinfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 August 2018, 11:22 PM   #29
samson66

Watch: my money leaving!
Quote:
It is possible to be truthful and racially insensitive at the same time which I believe the OP has done. I went to an AD in the Philadelphia area not long ago and she told me they have Chinese flying into the Philadelphia airport and riding directly over to their shop to load up on any Rolex they can get their hands on. She said they are careful to pay $9,999.00 in cash but no more because apparently the $10K threshold triggers some sort of tax or customs implications. She said she sees them over at the Apple store literally buying iPads using hand carts, cases at a time. Say what you want but there are lots of rich Chinese looking for places to put their money and Rolex is one place where they do that which throws the discount situation out the window.
samson66 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1 August 2018, 11:35 PM   #30
yxc145
"TRF" Member

Watch: SkyD,JC, BLNR, Ex2
Quote:
Originally Posted by DARK_KNIGHT View Post

Yeah, Taiwan, Hong Kong, Macau, and Chinese that live in all parts of the world. I am from Taiwan, I live in Chicago.
yxc145 is offline   Reply With Quote