The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 8 August 2018, 08:16 AM   #1
TheDon2000
"TRF" Member

Will ADs ever have the SD43 126600 sitting in the case?

I'm in the Metro Detroit area and we have around 6-8 ADs within an hour driving range. I regularly visit 4-5 of them which are within about 30 minutes of me and they never have SDs in general let alone stainless Subs or GMTs. I'm on the hunt for my first Rolex. I'm a steel sports model guy so SubC or Sea-Dweller are my favorite horses in the race. I have 7.8"-8" wrists and like a good size watch. The SubC wears nicely on me, but I do currently wear a 43mm diver so the 40mm Sub wears just a tad small in my eyes. I'd like to try a SD43 before I purchase just to see if that's the ultimate watch for me due to the increase in size. Both the SubC and SD43 as well as the SD4K are stunning pieces, I'd take any one of them. It's all about availability at this time.

On that availability note - When will the market start to calm back down?? Haha. It was supposed to be coming back around by this time according to "experts" (AD people) last year. Now all I'm hearing is Rolex is moving the Sub (Among possible others) to allocation/order only pieces? This one lady at Tapper's said that the steel Rolex Submariner, GMT, and Daytonas are impossible to order with regularity as Rolex has choked off production/shipping nearly altogether. She said they might get a steel Sub randomly that sells within hours and that's about it.
TheDon2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 2018, 09:46 AM   #2
mwheatley
"TRF" Member

A Sub is obtainable. I ordered one mid-July and it arrived by the end of the month. And by ordered, I mean I said call me when the next one comes in and didn’t leave a deposit. I had no purchase history with the AD other than two OEM Breitling stays.

Sometimes ADs have SS models in their safe that are sold or on hold for others. If you have a conversation with a *helpful* salesperson, they may pull out these on hold examples and let you try them on. That was my experience. I was considering a GMT master black or a Sub, the AD had both on hold for someone, but I was able to try them on and make a decision. You may not be as lucky finding an SD though.

Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
mwheatley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 2018, 10:07 AM   #3
dannyr1986
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43
When it comes to the SD43 you need to put in a little work and be up to some travel to get your hands on it. Multiple people including myself have got there hands on the SD43 just calling around to other dealers. If they don’t have it then some of them take your number and will call you back when they get it.

Two weeks ago a Jacksonville dealer called me and had one, I believe someone on this forum scooped it up. I spent about 1.5 hours calling up and down the east coast till I found a dealer that just got one in. Booked a flight, drove a couple hours and boom I had it in hand.

Hope the same luck works for you! Give it a shot it’s worth a try.
dannyr1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 2018, 10:28 AM   #4
Tlon
"TRF" Member

Just picked one up today. On a lark, I spent the morning calling around to dealers within 2 hours and I managed to find the one dealer in the area with one. Complete fluke. The dealer got it yesterday., and I just happened to call and stop by before anyone else. Complete luck of the draw. They'd had all of one in the store prior to this one, so they were as surprised as anyone. They kept telling me I'd won the lottery. I think they might be right! Beautiful watch. Much more wearable than I thought it might be. Still an impressive piece but not that much bigger than a ceramic sub when on the wrist (the AD let me compare his with the SD43).
Tlon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 2018, 10:32 AM   #5
kwiklot
"TRF" Member

My AD called me asking if I wanted the SD43 no date sub or date sub they got in, I said no I'm only interested in a hulk. Thank you for asking my only prior experience with this AD is a Tudor GMT purchase.
kwiklot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 2018, 10:33 AM   #6
dannyr1986
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tlon View Post
Just picked one up today. On a lark, I spent the morning calling around to dealers within 2 hours and I managed to find the one dealer in the area with one. Complete fluke. The dealer got it yesterday., and I just happened to call and stop by before anyone else. Complete luck of the draw. They'd had all of one in the store prior to this one, so they were as surprised as anyone. They kept telling me I'd won the lottery. I think they might be right! Beautiful watch. Much more wearable than I thought it might be. Still an impressive piece but not that much bigger than a ceramic sub when on the wrist (the AD let me compare his with the SD43).
Big win! Let’s see some photos, you’ll never want to take it off
dannyr1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 2018, 10:34 AM   #7
Fleetlord
2024 Pledge Member

SD43 is attainable with moderate effort.

There have been numerous reports and sightings of them sitting in cases.

They are out there
Fleetlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 2018, 10:34 AM   #8
Water Wonderland
"TRF" Member

We just had Ahee in Grosse Pointe lose their Rolex account, so that's one less option for us in the metro Detroit area.
Water Wonderland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2018, 06:55 AM   #9
Tlon
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyr1986 View Post
Big win! Let’s see some photos, you’ll never want to take it off
Would love to, but I'm new and I can't post a photo yet. I'm working on it!
Tlon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2018, 07:12 AM   #10
TheDon2000
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Water Wonderland View Post
We just had Ahee in Grosse Pointe lose their Rolex account, so that's one less option for us in the metro Detroit area.
Yup. I was speaking with the owner of Ahee at Cars and Cigars a couple weeks back. Said he was tired of some of the clientele that was coming in for diamond bezel Day-dates and other Riff-raff, if you know what I mean. He stopped complying and then Rolex took it away.
Old 9 August 2018, 07:14 AM   #11
TheDon2000
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwheatley View Post
A Sub is obtainable. I ordered one mid-July and it arrived by the end of the month. And by ordered, I mean I said call me when the next one comes in and didn’t leave a deposit. I had no purchase history with the AD other than two OEM Breitling stays.

Sometimes ADs have SS models in their safe that are sold or on hold for others. If you have a conversation with a *helpful* salesperson, they may pull out these on hold examples and let you try them on. That was my experience. I was considering a GMT master black or a Sub, the AD had both on hold for someone, but I was able to try them on and make a decision. You may not be as lucky finding an SD though.

Good luck!

Thanks, I'm going to make a short list of ADs that I could get to and back in a weekend and start calling.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyr1986 View Post
When it comes to the SD43 you need to put in a little work and be up to some travel to get your hands on it. Multiple people including myself have got there hands on the SD43 just calling around to other dealers. If they don’t have it then some of them take your number and will call you back when they get it.

Two weeks ago a Jacksonville dealer called me and had one, I believe someone on this forum scooped it up. I spent about 1.5 hours calling up and down the east coast till I found a dealer that just got one in. Booked a flight, drove a couple hours and boom I had it in hand.

Hope the same luck works for you! Give it a shot it’s worth a try.
Thanks. And nice pick up! Enjoy it in good health. Beautiful piece.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tlon View Post
Awesome. Enjoy it. And post pics when you can!
Old 9 August 2018, 07:49 AM   #12
Calatrava r
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDon2000 View Post
Yup. I was speaking with the owner of Ahee at Cars and Cigars a couple weeks back. Said he was tired of some of the clientele that was coming in for diamond bezel Day-dates and other Riff-raff, if you know what I mean. He stopped complying and then Rolex took it away.
What other watch line can they sell and make anything near what they can make selling Rolex. Most of the Rolex steel tool models fly out the door at full retail plus tax. Plus, this store had a market base for the high end PM watches.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2018, 07:58 AM   #13
CPais
"TRF" Member

I called my local Rolex dealer (10 minute drive from me) this morning and asked if they had any Deep Sea Dwellers in stock. The lady said yes, they don't have one now. I feel so lucky that I was able to scoop one of these up.
CPais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2018, 02:41 PM   #14
watchmework
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126710BLRO, 116600
Good luck in hunting down a SD43, if you’re able to find one it’s well worth the effort
watchmework is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2018, 03:21 PM   #15
TheDon2000
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calatrava r View Post
What other watch line can they sell and make anything near what they can make selling Rolex. Most of the Rolex steel tool models fly out the door at full retail plus tax. Plus, this store had a market base for the high end PM watches.
I know that's exactly what I was thinking. He sells Patek and a few other brands of that nature so he does alright. Grosse Pointe is an extremely affluent area so he moves the expensive stuff.
Old 9 August 2018, 05:45 PM   #16
roosvelt
Banned

Watch: 16613 serti 18078
I know the store and owners very well. The family are great people they treat everyone the same no matter were they live. Its a real shame rolex pulled them. For finding a sd43 on display around Detroit merto area not going to happen !
roosvelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2018, 05:53 PM   #17
ggabz
"TRF" Member

[IMG][/IMG]

Might be a bit far but this was in the AD window last week in Baku
ggabz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2018, 05:55 PM   #18
rambo99
Banned

Watch: SD43,PAM1616,Hulk
looks like sd43 is pretty easy to buy from an AD, compare with the hulk, batman and ceramic Daytona.
rambo99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2018, 06:01 PM   #19
Manu74
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLRO | LV | SkyD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleetlord View Post

They are out there

Numerous?

Where?
Manu74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2018, 06:54 PM   #20
rambo99
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manu74 View Post
Numerous?

Where?
lots of posts here said they just walk in an AD and leave with a sd43 on the wrist. also tons of posts said they received call from their ad after joining the wait list for just 2,3 weeks. search them.
Old 9 August 2018, 09:55 PM   #21
BT1985
"TRF" Member

Will ADs ever have the SD43 126600 sitting in the case?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rambo99 View Post
lots of posts here said they just walk in an AD and leave with a sd43 on the wrist. also tons of posts said they received call from their ad after joining the wait list for just 2,3 weeks. search them.

My buddy walked into an AD recently and bought a BLNR. I don’t think a few posts here is enough data points to make an argument either way. I do think that the BLNR is more mainstream and so it could be just a greater likelihood that those that buy an SD43 would also be a TRF member and post about it.

I have found the most accurate gauge of scarcity is the price differential between MSRP and BNIB Trusted Seller prices.

BT1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2018, 09:56 PM   #22
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Ever?

Probably.
Omega Seamaster SMP300m, Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent Clock
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2018, 10:02 PM   #23
yessir69
2024 Pledge Member

Yes.
yessir69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2018, 10:05 PM   #24
Etschell
"TRF" Member

Watch: platinum sub
most definitely. the question is will ADs remain.

25 or 6 to 4.
Etschell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2018, 10:07 PM   #25
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleetlord View Post

They are out there
this.

I had the opportunity to buy one in Houston last summer. Sitting in a case at an AD. Hulk too. So it has happened and will probably happen again.
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2018, 10:15 PM   #26
rambo99
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1980 View Post
this.

I had the opportunity to buy one in Houston last summer. Sitting in a case at an AD. Hulk too. So it has happened and will probably happen again.
you did see a hulk also? the avengers's hulk?
Old 9 August 2018, 10:44 PM   #27
fskywalker
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Is Ticking !
Quote:
Originally Posted by rambo99 View Post
you did see a hulk also? the avengers's hulk?
Zenith 02.480.405

2FA security enabled
fskywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2018, 11:21 PM   #28
daytonagmt
"TRF" Member

Baku is the paradise.
daytonagmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2018, 11:25 PM   #29
yxc145
"TRF" Member

Watch: SkyD,JC, BLNR, Ex2
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDon2000 View Post
I'm in the Metro Detroit area and we have around 6-8 ADs within an hour driving range. I regularly visit 4-5 of them which are within about 30 minutes of me and they never have SDs in general let alone stainless Subs or GMTs. I'm on the hunt for my first Rolex. I'm a steel sports model guy so SubC or Sea-Dweller are my favorite horses in the race. I have 7.8"-8" wrists and like a good size watch. The SubC wears nicely on me, but I do currently wear a 43mm diver so the 40mm Sub wears just a tad small in my eyes. I'd like to try a SD43 before I purchase just to see if that's the ultimate watch for me due to the increase in size. Both the SubC and SD43 as well as the SD4K are stunning pieces, I'd take any one of them. It's all about availability at this time.

On that availability note - When will the market start to calm back down?? Haha. It was supposed to be coming back around by this time according to "experts" (AD people) last year. Now all I'm hearing is Rolex is moving the Sub (Among possible others) to allocation/order only pieces? This one lady at Tapper's said that the steel Rolex Submariner, GMT, and Daytonas are impossible to order with regularity as Rolex has choked off production/shipping nearly altogether. She said they might get a steel Sub randomly that sells within hours and that's about it.
I know you are looking for the SD43, but there is a dealer in Chicago that has a Black Deep Sea in the case. if you are interested. Looks like it has been sitting in the case for awhile, you may even be able to get a little discount.
yxc145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2018, 09:32 AM   #30
nektar
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060
A week ago the the sea dweller was on display in a small AD in TX. Make calls to all the ADs around your area, and you will make it! Unless it is the very ss daytona... good luck!!

nektar is offline   Reply With Quote