The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 29 September 2018, 01:40 PM   #1
DCGuy1965
"TRF" Member

Very Tempting Deal - Need TRF Opinions!!!

So as I've posted before I've been kicking tires for my grail watch for a while as I've really been in no hurry. I've decided the watch would be a better midlife purchase than the car since there is no personal property tax and vastly reduced maintenance costs. Not to mention a grail watch is safer in my home than outside in my parking garage.

Well, I was on business travel last week and visited the local mall that was in a very typical southern setting and found an AD so I went in to browse. As expected their cases were like every other AD in the nation but given I'm after a PM DayDate I thought they might have stock. They did. a 36mm 118238 with a white dial (pass, I don't like white dials), and a 40mm with a champagne roman dial. Looked rather nice. Then she told me she had a NOS 118235 rose gold 36mm with rose dial that was on special. By special I mean 25% off. Said I'd get a full 5yr warranty and everything. Oh they did tell me the stickers have to be removed so that really is not a joke. But I digress.

So in all reality that's a pretty good deal. Me thinks it's a little over a year old as they said it did not sell but they also reassured me the PM watches are always in the safe and they leave them in their little plastic coffins so to speak to reduce shop wear. basically she told me 25K plus tax it's yours. They could ship it to avoid tax but I really am SUPER paranoid about shipping given the horror tales I've read.

The alternative is to go back to my local AD to whom I love and they have been wonderful to see if they can order my dream piece. But the deal out of state is quite good and I do like rose gold with that matching dial. Does that deal sound good to you folks?
DCGuy1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 September 2018, 01:53 PM   #2
BT1985
"TRF" Member

If it’s the watch you want yes I would pull the trigger. If it’s just the price you like no. I would love to see a pic it sounds quite nice. Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BT1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 September 2018, 01:59 PM   #3
DCGuy1965
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BT1985 View Post
If it’s the watch you want yes I would pull the trigger. If it’s just the price you like no. I would love to see a pic it sounds quite nice. Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks. I do like the watch and the dial combo. The ONLY choice that's hard to make is 36 versus 40. Although I'd think the 40mm date changeover issue has been worked out by now.
DCGuy1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 September 2018, 02:07 PM   #4
Jerodp716
"TRF" Member

I was recently faced with the same decision. I chose the Rose 36mm and couldn’t be happier!
Jerodp716 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 September 2018, 02:18 PM   #5
DoctorA
"TRF" Member

I would go with your dream watch! Over the number of yours you will enjoy the watch, it will come to be under a dollar per day difference! Yet you will have something you really want
Old 29 September 2018, 02:40 PM   #6
ragingcao
"TRF" Member

Watch: cha talking about?
Personally I would jump on this deal because I've seen the watch and loved the RG dial. However, is it the grail watch you seek or a compromise because of the discount? If it's what you really want, pull the trigger. Good luck
ragingcao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 September 2018, 02:52 PM   #7
Hodog16
"TRF" Member

Watch: RG Olive DD40
Agree make sure you get the exact size, metal, and dial you want versus just getting a good deal. If you end up regretting it that particular combination will have poor resale. There’s a reason that watch is NOS.

If you will keep it forever then go for it. I’d rather have a 40 mm and green dial if you go RG and in the grand scheme of things $4-5k at that price range is not worth compromising over.

Good luck!
Hodog16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 September 2018, 03:26 PM   #8
vladamir15
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP, VC, Breguet
Go with dream watch. Deals don’t last.

Audemars, Vacheron, Breguet, Jaquet Droz, JLC, Rolex, Omega, Cartier
vladamir15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 September 2018, 04:36 PM   #9
joli160
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
In my eyes the DD in RG and 36 does not come any better. Beautiful configuration and from an AD -25% ? Nothing to think about
Old 30 September 2018, 03:24 AM   #10
Jcy90
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT & SUB
25% off is a nice deal. But it’s a grail and you’d be spending top $$ so you might as well get what you want. Few thousand dollars to here or to here on this kind of purchase doesnt nake a huge difference if youre getting what you truly want.
Jcy90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 September 2018, 03:53 AM   #11
huncho
2024 Pledge Member

that's a nice spec and deal. what's your dream spec though?
huncho is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30 September 2018, 03:58 AM   #12
Snow-Dweller
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: collections change
As others have said, go for it because it’s the watch you want and not because of the deal.

Having said that, it is a good deal, and I would definitely have it shipped insured to save the you know what....

16803. 16570. 18038. 114300. GMW-B5000D.
Snow-Dweller is offline   Reply With Quote