The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 10 October 2018, 03:40 PM   #1
minute_man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: BoctokKomandirskie
Thoughts on becoming a one watch guy

As tastes evolve and needs change over the years, I am beginning to consider becoming a single watch guy. As much as I like having multiple watch choices, inevitably, some get more wrist time than others. Because of this, I just don't seem to enjoy my pieces as much as I hoped I would. And it's just three of them. I tried talking myself into wearing my watches depending on the occasion, activity or attire but this is yet another unnecessary complication in life that I would now like to avoid. Less things to worry about.
I know it all boils down to "do as you wish" but I could use some help here from those who share a similar point of view.

1. Would you let go of

116710LN
BB S&G on bracelet
Blue Pelagos

For a mint 16710 example on a straight swap.

2. Let go of above for a mint 16610, possibly some cash
my way

3. Just ditch the Tudors, buy a jubilee bracelet for the
wife's DJ, maybe also a super jubilee for my LNand
live happily everafter.

Any thoughts and suggestions are welcome.
minute_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 October 2018, 03:52 PM   #2
Helmi
"TRF" Member

I personally haven't reached this stage yet and still like to have variety in my collection. Yes it is more management and "complication in life" as you rightly called but it is an enjoyable one.

So assuming money is not a main constrain, if I have your collection, I would sell the Tudors and buy a white Daytona which will give a good balance with the sub and end up with a great duo that fit almost every occasion, attire and less boredom of having single piece.

However, if you insist on single piece approach, I would sell all what you have and get myself either a Daytona (regardless of the color) or a batman as any of those 2 watches for me make the best rounded one watch collection (good water resistance, good versatility, some additional useful complication, good brand, high resale value).

Good luck with your choice
Helmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 October 2018, 03:58 PM   #3
polaris72
2024 Pledge Member

3rd option looks good to me, especially if you bought it new.
polaris72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 October 2018, 04:06 PM   #4
Adam K.
Banned

Watch: All the Oysters
Option 3. Cheers to your quest by the way! I’m with you in spirit, and as of recently, attempting the “one watch” thing as well. How successfully and how long, I know not!...but it’s my goal, too.
Adam K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 October 2018, 04:11 PM   #5
henrylee
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LN Ceramic
Old 10 October 2018, 04:33 PM   #6
Kyle3130
2024 Pledge Member

Old 10 October 2018, 04:46 PM   #7
Tobias
"TRF" Member

I think the 116710LN is a great everyday watch and a good candidate as a "one-and-only" watch, so my option would be number 3.
Tobias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 October 2018, 04:47 PM   #8
oroloi
"TRF" Member

Watch: YachtMaster 116621
No 3

I've sold many over the years and now i'm at 4 watches.............only problem is i'm always searching for the next watch so not sure if I can get it down to 1 watch
oroloi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 October 2018, 04:48 PM   #9
G M Francis
"TRF" Member

3. FYI I was a one watch guy for around 6 months, same thoughts as you. I moved on all my watches and ended up with a Patek 5167A Aquanaut. It was a pretty good choice, slim, beautifully made, legible and really wearable. It was like I had nothing on my wrist. They’ve gone up in price as you may know and I got offered a deal I couldn’t turn down. I’m now back up to 4 watches.....
G M Francis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 October 2018, 04:54 PM   #10
Andad
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
One watch guy??

Andad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10 October 2018, 04:56 PM   #11
minute_man
2024 Pledge Member

What do you guys think about option #1? Would I be losing too much? I mean a good 16710 example is about 8000-8500 € here...

Quote:
Originally Posted by directioneng View Post
One watch guy??

Just saying
Old 10 October 2018, 04:59 PM   #12
Andrés G
"TRF" Member

It have never worked for me. I need some variety in my life. 3 watches is the perfect number for me.
Andrés G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 October 2018, 05:06 PM   #13
Yodel
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmi View Post
I personally haven't reached this stage yet and still like to have variety in my collection. Yes it is more management and "complication in life" as you rightly called but it is an enjoyable one.

So assuming money is not a main constrain, if I have your collection, I would sell the Tudors and buy a white Daytona which will give a good balance with the sub and end up with a great duo that fit almost every occasion, attire and less boredom of having single piece.

However, if you insist on single piece approach, I would sell all what you have and get myself either a Daytona (regardless of the color) or a batman as any of those 2 watches for me make the best rounded one watch collection (good water resistance, good versatility, some additional useful complication, good brand, high resale value).

Good luck with your choice
Ditch the Tudor’s and buy a white Daytona? That’s a bit like saying ‘if I were you, I’d swap your Ford Focus for a Ferrari spider, your push bike for a Harley Davidson and your wife for Mina Kunis’. I’m sure the OP would if he could, but this is called the real world - not going to happen!
Yodel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 October 2018, 05:07 PM   #14
Devildog
"TRF" Member

Watch: ^^^ for now
Quote:
Originally Posted by minute_man View Post
What do you guys think about option #1? Would I be losing too much? I mean a good 16710 example is about 8000-8500 € here...
:
Yes. I think you would be losing too much, especially if you sold privately.

Option 3 for me as well.

Present: 16600, 116509, Cartier Santos Green.
Devildog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 October 2018, 05:16 PM   #15
Rashid.bk
"TRF" Member

Watch: 12800ft = 3900m
But honestly no way I could do one watch. One wife, one job yes, everything else in life seems so much better in plural.
Rashid.bk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 October 2018, 06:17 PM   #16
minute_man
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yodel View Post
Ditch the Tudor’s and buy a white Daytona? That’s a bit like saying ‘if I were you, I’d swap your Ford Focus for a Ferrari spider, your push bike for a Harley Davidson and your wife for Mina Kunis’. I’m sure the OP would if he could, but this is called the real world - not going to happen!
Unfortunately the Daytona has no date so it's off the table...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devildog View Post
Yes. I think you would be losing too much, especially if you sold privately.

Option 3 for me as well.
Thanks. And one more reason to steer clear of the second hand market in my country, such a minefield sadly.
Old 10 October 2018, 06:23 PM   #17
Ian Macdermott
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the detectives
Good luck with your plan
Old 10 October 2018, 07:10 PM   #18
peterskinner
"TRF" Member

I think getting down to one watch is a noble aim; which one doesn't matter a great deal. For me, probably a 41mm Datejust. The essence of Rolex in one neat package.
Good luck; guys on forums rarely manage on just one watch! I haven't, but it's a goal. Sometime, maybe,,...
peterskinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 October 2018, 07:20 PM   #19
Helmi
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yodel View Post

I am sorry but I put this suggestion under "money is not a constraint" assumption. And that is why I suggested the blnr as second alternative as they are not very hard to get and the price difference will be much less
Helmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 October 2018, 07:28 PM   #20
TeddyS
"TRF" Member

Watch: sea-dweller 126600
Loose the tudors mate

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
TeddyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 October 2018, 07:38 PM   #21
"TRF" Member

I think anyone that's active on watch forums will have a hard time with a 1 watch collection.

It seems like you need to trim the fat, you have some watches that you're willing to let go of, maybe you've outgrown them.

I would sell the Tudors and live with the 116710LN for awhile
3581512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 October 2018, 07:50 PM   #22
Widows Son
"TRF" Member

No way could I be a one watch guy, no one watch does everything well. Keep a SS sports watch for everyday and invest in a true dress watch for when you really need one which is usually 5% of the time. A P/U truck doesn't work for a wedding anymore than a Ferrari will offroading.
Widows Son is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 October 2018, 08:59 PM   #23
Mystro

This never works and will cost you more money in the end. I guess if want to chase the dragon then option 3.
Old 10 October 2018, 09:09 PM   #24
ap1

Three
ap1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 October 2018, 09:32 PM   #25
1William

Watch: Rolex/Others
I would keep what you have. Wear what you want, when you want and get on with it.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 October 2018, 09:52 PM   #26
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
I could maybe be a one watch per brand guy but not a one watch guy, variety is still the spice of watch life for me. The problem of wrist time management is one of those good problems to have imho.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 October 2018, 10:30 PM   #27
Pmt2
"TRF" Member

Pmt2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 October 2018, 11:49 PM   #28
Colin10101
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710
Sell the tudors and keep your LN forever. It’s a great watch.

Having just one watch is the way to go! Keeps things simple.
Old 11 October 2018, 12:02 AM   #29
envuks

I got myself to one watch about 8 years ago. It lasted for about 5 years. I decided the 116710ln was the best “one watch” for me. It kept me (a recovered flipper) happy for years as it thrives in every situation I threw at it.

I since fell back into multiple watches. I’ll spare you the reasons. However, what I will say is that I’d recommend owning and wearing the watch you feel will be your “one” for a bit before you part with the others to make sure it satisfies you. I would not recommend consolidating via a trade for a new watch that will be your “one.” Doesn’t seem like a recipient for success

“A man with one watch always knows what time it is. A man with two watches is never sure.”
envuks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 October 2018, 12:12 AM   #30
watchwatcher
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes
Quote:
Originally Posted by minute_man View Post

As much as I like having multiple watch choices, inevitably, some get more wrist time than others. Because of this, I just don't seem to enjoy my pieces as much as I hoped I would.
I'm not sure I understand your reasoning. Just because they don't get equal wrist time shouldn't have anything to do with your enjoyment...IMO, anyway.

Here's my suggestion. Don't sell anything. Wear your GMT all day everyday, in essence your "one watch." Then, when a day comes along where you're going to be washing the car or mowing the lawn, strap on the Pelagos. Perfect fit for those activities. Lightweight and with the ingenious adjustable clasp, it will disappear on your arm and look great doing it, too.

Now, let's say you take the wife out to dinner. Strap on the S&G for a little splash of gold and a little sizzle for your evening out. In the meantime, you're wearing the GMT 24/7 the rest of the time, and, in essence, you're still a one watch guy. Except you've got two other great watches that can help you handle whatever life throws at you. But there's no rule that says you have to wear them all the time to enjoy them.
watchwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote