The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Forum > Classifieds > WatchOut!!!

Old 19 January 2009, 01:48 AM   #1
crazyjazy
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710LN
Spotted a fake Sub the other day

Just wanted to post a little story about a fake I saw the other day. Several years back, one of my coworkers went to Singapore on vacation and brought back some Rolex replica Submariners (he was selling them for $75 each, that should tell you something). At the time, I didn't know anything about Rolex; all I knew was that the watch looked huge. Fast forward to 2 weeks ago, when one of my coworkers who bought one wore it to the office. Since I now own an Air King, I can tell some of the differences between authentic and fake Rolex watches. Moral of the story, you CAN spot a fake Rolex from across the room. He sat across the table from me, and the watch band was totally unlike any Rolex band I had ever seen. Then when I saw it up close, the second hand was definitely NOT perpetual. I was wearing my Air King, and was tempted to ask him about his watch, bud didn't want to embarass him in front of our boss!

On a serious note, if you are in the business world calling on upper level executives, and they see a salesguy with a fake Rolex, that would be far worse than if you had a real one on.

Just thought I would share that.
crazyjazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2009, 01:52 AM   #2
mretzloff
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariner Date
You should have called him out- I would have.

Just think when that guy wears his fake Sub when asking his boss for a raise

"M" 16610 Submariner
"M" 16570w Explorer II
mretzloff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2009, 01:55 AM   #3
Idle Swede
Suspended

I would give him a raise so he could buy a Rolex...
Idle Swede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2009, 03:03 AM   #4
Armand
Banned

Watch: 16710/3185 16613 B
If he wears fake, thereīs a fair chance, that the guy himself is a fake ( a poser ).

---> No raise.

Iīd prefer somebody who doesnīt wear a watch, because he uses a cellular phone or one with a Swatch. If you carry, carry the real thing.

Hermann
Armand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2009, 03:14 AM   #5
GrandDaddy
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mretzloff View Post
You should have called him out- I would have.
Are you effing serious that you would embarass a co-worker in front of everyone? What would you have accomplished by doing this? Would it make you feel "big"? I think this Rolex thing has gone into your head.
GrandDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2009, 11:50 AM   #6
coolguy87

agreed, with granddaddy, Rolex is about class, not glamour. At least thats in my books.
coolguy87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2009, 11:58 AM   #7
Terry Newton
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex TT GMT II c
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolguy87 View Post
agreed, with granddaddy, Rolex is about class, not glamour. At least thats in my books.
Though, not everybody that can afford one, has values or class. I would hope that people, no matter if they have the money for the watch, would have the inherent values, that they were raised with, and that my fellow watch lovers, reflects true class.

Terry Newton

"Z" SS Date Submariner
"Z" TT GMT-Master IIc
Terry Newton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 March 2009, 03:58 AM   #8
iamnumber1
Banned

I may not call him out...but I would let him see me notice it. I may even tell what a great watch he has, ask him some questions and tell him about your watch. I think if he was wearing a fake he would admit it after he saw that you knew what you were looking at or that you have one of your own. However I wouldn't call him out about it being fake...if he knows this he should admit it after he see you know better.
iamnumber1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 March 2009, 04:37 AM   #9
Armand
Banned

Icon4

Not everybody can or will spend the money for a Rolex.

Thatīs true, and good, because thankfully we all have not the same taste.

But if somebody really adores Rolexes ( and why would he carry a fake one, apart from being a real A$$h... ) there ARE ways:

Steinhoff watches

Marcello C

pre loved Rolexes ...

Now, granted, nearly anybody in the first world can spend 400 + sometime, if it really means something to him!

And these watches I DO NOT look down at!

The Marcello Cīs, for example, are extremely fine watches!

( even Omegas and the new Breitlings and and and ... copy Rolexīs design features, up to the PCLs! )

And in my book these arenīt fakes, as they are clearly marked!

But a FAKE?!? Forget the wearer ....

Just my .02, Hermann
Old 10 March 2009, 04:54 AM   #10
allanofcalifornia
"TRF" Member

I already worn a fake Rolex watch and would tell people that it was fake when they thought it was real. In fact I went out of the way to let people know it was fake if they noticed it. It did not bother me if anyone knew it was a fake because I was not wearing it to impress anyone, I just like the look of it and it was a fun thing to do.

I think it really depends on why someone is wearing a fake Rolex. Is it to impress others or is it just to have fun. I think it also pertains to why someone buys a Rolex. Are they just trying to impress others and have others think they are important or do they just like a good swiss made watch and the looks of a Rolex.

Allan
allanofcalifornia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 March 2009, 05:13 AM   #11
Armand
Banned

Icon6

Quote:
Originally Posted by allanofcalifornia View Post

I think it really depends on why someone is wearing a fake Rolex. Is it to impress others or is it just to have fun. I think it also pertains to why someone buys a Rolex. Are they just trying to impress others and have others think they are important or do they just like a good swiss made watch and the looks of a Rolex.

Allan
Exactly my point!

Marcello C and Steinhoff are look-a-likes to Rolexes. But they are clearly marked. And Swiss made ( Steinhoff, not sure about Marcello C, methinks he is French ) ( yes, I KNOW his name sounds Italian )

Anybody wearing a Rolex not made by Rolex is pretending something! And IIRC the replicas are China made ... where is your argument there?

Hermann
Old 10 March 2009, 05:29 AM   #12
allanofcalifornia
"TRF" Member

Also, I bought my fake Rolex over 15 years ago and it was only $20 on the streets of New York City. It was very cheap. I did not wear it very often but I did think it was fun.

Allan
allanofcalifornia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 March 2009, 09:48 AM   #13
tudorman8276
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Prez
...hell, I own several Rolex, and...

...I STILL DON'T have any class..

...hard to get the Red Neck out of a Red Neck....know what I meen Vern???

Stan.
tudorman8276 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 March 2009, 12:59 PM   #14
springer
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT-MASTER
Quote:
Originally Posted by tudorman8276 View Post
...I STILL DON'T have any class..

...hard to get the Red Neck out of a Red Neck....know what I meen Vern???

Stan.
Stay out of the sun Stan, or remove the t-shirt!!!!!!

INSTAGRAM USER NAME: SPRINGERJFP
Visit my Instagram page to view some of the finest vintage GMTs anywhere - as well as other vintage classics.
springer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 March 2009, 11:50 PM   #15
DSJ
"TRF" Member

Watch: your step!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Newton View Post
Though, not everybody that can afford one, has values or class. I would hope that people, no matter if they have the money for the watch, would have the inherent values, that they were raised with, and that my fellow watch lovers, reflects true class.

Terry Newton
I'm a bit weird compared to my brethren here, in that I appreciate nice inexpensive watches too, although I've sort of gotten out of owning/having them. I would rather see a nice $75 Timex Expedition or the like on someone than a cheap $75 Fauxlex. There are some NICE watches out there for under $200 USD. Heck, if I see a nice Seiko or Citizen, Tissot or Wenger, I usually comment appreciatively!
DSJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 March 2009, 02:07 AM   #16
idk01
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ16233TT
Guys I think you being a bit hard in some cases here, here my situation two nights ago.

I'm at a clients upgrading network gear, and installing new systems, the owner notices I am wearing my Rolex and proceeds to show me her absolutely hideous fake and tells me she purchased it for $250AUD overseas. she left it at that.

she didn't make any comments on my watch I'm assuming she thinks I did the same and have a fake

now I had two choices:

!. call her out and tell her mine is genuine and make her feel like a real twit (And yes she would have, long term client, know everyone there quite well)

2. Bite tongue & Comment on how nice it is and get on with what I'm doing considering the money I'm making out of the job is enough to land me another Rolex.

I went for the second option, all parties are happy (well I know she wears a fake but could afford many genuine)

Honestly I don't like to judge people on what they are wearing, most of my top paying clients wear $200 - $500 Seiko and other brand watches in that range, what they drive, and the house they own is a totally different kettle of fish.

If I had the choice of a $75 fakeroo or a Seiko chrono I would go for the Seiko, simple as that.

I would say most people that wear fakes if they could afford it would buy the real thing in a heart beat, or like some of my clients that have more money than you can poke a stick at don't see the value in a $10k - $30k watch, different tastes. My watches have always been the best money I've ever spent, I know how many times I look at them and smile

Idle Swede - I agree with you on this one

Cheers guys,

Happy Rolexing

Dave.

idk01 is offline   Reply With Quote