The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Ω Omega Discussion Forum

Old 28 February 2019, 02:31 PM   #1
Wembleyisgreen
Banned

Watch: 214270
CK2998 vs FOIS

Which is your favorite and why? I really love both myself and can’t pick a favorite. Bonus for Cool strap pics.
Wembleyisgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 February 2019, 02:54 PM   #2
mbalmz
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

this one for me:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
___

instagram: @brooklynwatchguy
mbalmz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 February 2019, 07:37 PM   #3
Stevec14
"TRF" Member

Watch: 321, Snoopy 3
I’ve got both the FOIS and the current CK (I used to have the blue also). I’m still in the honeymoon period with the pulsometer but my thoughts as below:

1. The FOIS I think is a little more versatile. The all black look goes with a variety of straps and bracelets.
2. The CK in both forms looks a more expensive watch (I know it is), with applied markers, ceramic bezel giving the watches more pop.
3. In terms of price a FOIS can be had very easily for between £3.1 and 3.2k. For a CK you are looking at approx £4.5k plus which is quite a difference.
4. In terms of legibility the FOIS has the edge. The darkened alpha hands on the CK can go missing. The highly polished hands of the FOIS are more visible at a glance against the all black background.

So that’s my thoughts. Ultimately, if a daily driver I don’t think you can go wrong with a FOIS. You can dress it up or down with whichever strap combo you choose. I see the CK as more of an addition to a collection but for sure it’s a beautiful piece in both colours.

If I had to choose, I’d go with the CK2998 purely because the updates make it, for me, a more desirable watch. That said, there are no wrong choices.

Sermon over - some pics attached.

Stevec14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2019, 04:38 AM   #4
mbalmz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevec14 View Post
I’ve got both the FOIS and the current CK (I used to have the blue also). I’m still in the honeymoon period with the pulsometer but my thoughts as below:

1. The FOIS I think is a little more versatile. The all black look goes with a variety of straps and bracelets.
2. The CK in both forms looks a more expensive watch (I know it is), with applied markers, ceramic bezel giving the watches more pop.
3. In terms of price a FOIS can be had very easily for between £3.1 and 3.2k. For a CK you are looking at approx £4.5k plus which is quite a difference.
4. In terms of legibility the FOIS has the edge. The darkened alpha hands on the CK can go missing. The highly polished hands of the FOIS are more visible at a glance against the all black background.

So that’s my thoughts. Ultimately, if a daily driver I don’t think you can go wrong with a FOIS. You can dress it up or down with whichever strap combo you choose. I see the CK as more of an addition to a collection but for sure it’s a beautiful piece in both colours.

If I had to choose, I’d go with the CK2998 purely because the updates make it, for me, a more desirable watch. That said, there are no wrong choices.

having owned the blue CK for a while now and tried on the FOIS a bunch I agree with all of this. in a nutshell the CK (haven’t tried on the pulso but I assume both) feels a little more different/a little fancier/a little more special/etc., but the FOIS is more versatile and legible and I’d prefer it if it were going to be my only watch.

___

instagram: @brooklynwatchguy
Old 1 March 2019, 06:23 AM   #5
ap1
2024 Pledge Member

Ck for the win. It has a little something extra.
ap1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2019, 06:29 AM   #6
sensui
2024 Pledge Member

The FOIS is far more subtle. Going to pick the CK2998 for sure....I prefer the original all blue with the lollipop second hand personally.
sensui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2019, 09:32 AM   #7
texasmade
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP RO 15400, FOIS
Blue CK2998 is my personal choice but actually own the FOIS since I couldn't justify the nearly $2000+ price difference.
texasmade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2019, 10:08 AM   #8
_speedmaster_
"TRF" Member

Own the FOIS and the blue CK2998. My vote is for the blue CK2998, as it just seems a tad more special. I will say though, I hated the stock strap that came with the CK2998 and swapped it out for a bracelet immediately.

instagram.com/ct_watch_guy
_speedmaster_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2019, 10:50 AM   #9
Knappo 1307

Watch: Sea Dweller
Fois
Knappo 1307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2019, 01:20 PM   #10
Wembleyisgreen
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbalmz View Post
this one for me:

That’s a hard look to deny.
Old 1 March 2019, 01:21 PM   #11
Wembleyisgreen
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevec14 View Post

They both look great but that FOIS on the bracelet looks near perfect.
Old 1 March 2019, 01:22 PM   #12
Wembleyisgreen
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sensui View Post
The FOIS is far more subtle. Going to pick the CK2998 for sure....I prefer the original all blue with the lollipop second hand personally.
Have you ever noticed the lollipop at 12 creates a Mickey Mouse?
Old 1 March 2019, 01:23 PM   #13
Wembleyisgreen
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasmade View Post
Blue CK2998 is my personal choice but actually own the FOIS since I couldn't justify the nearly $2000+ price difference.
It is a major price difference for essentially identical watches.
Old 1 March 2019, 01:24 PM   #14
Wembleyisgreen
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by _speedmaster_ View Post
Own the FOIS and the blue CK2998. My vote is for the blue CK2998, as it just seems a tad more special. I will say though, I hated the stock strap that came with the CK2998 and swapped it out for a bracelet immediately.
Do you feel it’s redundant owning both? Do you like the 42mm professional variants.
Old 1 March 2019, 01:25 PM   #15
Wembleyisgreen
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knappo 1307 View Post
Fois
Old 1 March 2019, 01:28 PM   #16
Wembleyisgreen
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ap1 View Post
Ck for the win. It has a little something extra.
What draws me in is the sparkles on the dial.
Old 1 March 2019, 01:32 PM   #17
ap1
2024 Pledge Member

CK2998 vs FOIS

Blue > black in the 2998 IMO

I think there is a third and final this year I heard for the Ck- that is final for omega which means 5-6 years

ap1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2019, 01:38 PM   #18
Wembleyisgreen
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ap1 View Post
Blue > black in the 2998 IMO

I think there is a third and final this year I heard for the Ck- that is final for omega which means 5-6 years

I’ve heard the same. Should be interesting.
Old 1 March 2019, 08:56 PM   #19
Stevec14
"TRF" Member

Watch: 321, Snoopy 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wembleyisgreen View Post
They both look great but that FOIS on the bracelet looks near perfect.

Yes, I think the racing bracelet suits it. Some others prefer the more vintage style. The good news is you can pick both up fairly easily....

Stevec14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2019, 11:03 PM   #20
_speedmaster_
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Do you feel it’s redundant owning both? Do you like the 42mm professional variants.
I'm more of a fan of the CK2998/FOIS case and lack of crown guards. Also, I do like the feel of hesalite, but I appreciate the sapphire scratch resistance more. That's why I picked the two Speedys I own over the 42mm variants.

Originally, I was a bit concerned that getting the blue CK2998 would be redundant, as I already had the FOIS. But, the designs are different enough where there is room for both in a collection. Also, as I didn't like the factory CK2998 strap, I put mine on a Speedy bracelet, which further differentiated the two.

Old 1 March 2019, 11:28 PM   #21
Wembleyisgreen
Banned

Quote:
I'm more of a fan of the CK2998/FOIS case and lack of crown guards. Also, I do like the feel of hesalite, but I appreciate the sapphire scratch resistance more. That's why I picked the two Speedys I own over the 42mm variants.

Originally, I was a bit concerned that getting the blue CK2998 would be redundant, as I already had the FOIS. But, the designs are different enough where there is room for both in a collection. Also, as I didn't like the factory CK2998 strap, I put mine on a Speedy bracelet, which further differentiated the two.

How much are these bracelets?
Old 2 March 2019, 12:17 AM   #22
_speedmaster_
"TRF" Member

Quote:
How much are these bracelets?
New they run about USD $625 I think (though you can find them cheaper on Ebay). Reference model for the bracelet is 020STZ006704.

Old 2 March 2019, 02:03 AM   #23
KBM

Quote:

Gorgeous on the bracelet. When I owned this watch, one of the down points for me was also the strap. It deserves a sportier strap, or the bracelet, like you did.
KBM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 March 2019, 02:04 AM   #24
KBM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbalmz View Post
this one for me:

That strap looks fantastic.
KBM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 March 2019, 02:28 AM   #25
mbalmz

Quote:
Originally Posted by kauebm View Post
That strap looks fantastic.
thanks! I didn't love the OEM strap so tried a lot of variations--non-blue straps just didn't look right to me but straps the same shade of dark blue as the bezel and subdials started to look a little boring after a while.

the brighter shade of royal blue is a good balance of the two I find.
Old 2 March 2019, 02:50 AM   #26
sensui
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Have you ever noticed the lollipop at 12 creates a Mickey Mouse?
I have....and I don't have anything against Mickey.....another watch I love from Patek forms a Mickey Mouse also with the subdials (5740g)....not stopping me from buying it.
sensui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 March 2019, 03:53 AM   #27
Wembleyisgreen
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sensui View Post
I have....and I don't have anything against Mickey.....another watch I love from Patek forms a Mickey Mouse also with the subdials (5740g)....not stopping me from buying it.
I think it’s a neat trick wether by design or not.

Tags
chronograph , ck2998 , fois , omega , speedmaster