The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 1 February 2009, 02:57 AM   #1
winston
"TRF" Member

Watch: All of them
Rolex UK Prices up approx 8% from 1st Feb.

Visited an AD today who confirmed increase.
Old 1 February 2009, 03:05 AM   #2
walds11
"TRF" Member

Any word on a price increase in the US?
Old 1 February 2009, 03:13 AM   #3
learnmore60
"TRF" Member

Watch: Love the Vintage
I heard from another AD that UK prices going up by 10% from Monday
learnmore60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 February 2009, 03:47 AM   #4
14060man
"TRF" Member

Good thinking greedy Rolex! Enjoy cannibalizing your Sales as the global economy melts down!!

Quote:

http://www.mortgagestrategy.co.uk/cg...03&h=401&f=402

UK RECESSION ON TRACK TO BE DEEPEST OF G8 ECONOMIES
Robert Thickett
29-Jan-2009

The International Monetary Fund has predicted that the UK's recession is on track to be the worst of the G8 economies, with growth plunging to - 2.8% in 2009.

By contrast, growth in the US, the epicenter of the current global financial meltdown, is predicted to only be -1.6% in 2009.
Growth in Germany is predicted to be -2.5%, in France -1.9%, Italy -2.1% , in Japan -2.6 and in the Eurozone as a whole -2%.
World growth is projected to fall to 0.5%, its lowest rate since World War II.
The IMF predicts that only Spain and Italy will be the only countries to continue to have negative growth in 2010, with the UK springing back to growth of 0.2%,
It also warns that despite the massive injection of public sector money to offset the massive writedown of banking assets internationally, it predicts that the deterioration in US originated credit assets will rise from $1.4 trillion in October 2008 to $2.2 trillion.
The IMF report says: "Despite wide-ranging policy actions, financial strains remain acute, pulling down the real economy.
"A sustained economic recovery will not be possible until the financial sector's functionality is restored and credit markets are unclogged."
14060man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 February 2009, 03:50 AM   #5
dead steve

people will still buy rolex watches, there's plenty of people who have the cash for them

they're the best status symbol out there, and people with cash will always want them
dead steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 February 2009, 04:05 AM   #6
touchdowntodd
"TRF" Member

Watch: Deep Sea Sea Dwell
very true... these watches would sell if we were in a depression...

im not rich, and definetely dont have a lotta money to spare..but just bought one!

they are still a good investment, and i dont think anyone ever thinks of the other effects of price increases... they create a desire to buy sooner rather tahn later, therefore increasing sales... I bought 2 days ago, cause i know in a few months it will cost more! they also increase over all value for our other watches, once this rought economy passes, we will be glad the prices went up 2 times a year or so as normal..

just think if in 2 years a new watch was still the same price you paid now, your resale value would be lower, and there would be less reason to buy used..

it effects us in a good way in general, even if it hurts a lil for the initial purchase
touchdowntodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 February 2009, 04:09 AM   #7
Quicksilver
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing watches
Quote:
Originally Posted by dead steve View Post
people will still buy rolex watches, there's plenty of people who have the cash for them

they're the best status symbol out there, and people with cash will always want them
I think that's right. There still no shortage of millionaires in London who seem unaffected by the economic troubles and London continues to be a shopping magnate for the rich and not so rich due to the favourable exchange rate.
Old 1 February 2009, 04:11 AM   #8
MrCowboy99
"TRF" Member

I hate to see prices raise on something I enjoy so much.
MrCowboy99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 February 2009, 04:17 AM   #9
A1000
"TRF" Member

I had been looking at taking the plunge and purchasing my first Rolex, a 16610LV. I spoke to an AD last weekend who had a new one in the window but declined to move on the price and he confirmed that he had spoken to Rolex the day before and there was definitely no price increase in the pipeline. During the week I spoke to a number of dealers about new and pre-owned pieces and by Friday all were confirming that a price rise was due on Monday. In the end I went for a pre-owned 16610LV and am very happy with it. All of the dealers were saying that the new price for a 16610LV would be around £4k which would indicate an 8%+ price increase as you say.

I have to say I'm not minted, however, in a recession (as at all times) I respect quality and maybe it is this kind of sentiment that Rolex are banking on. The reason for the rise is allegedly the £/Euro rate and the differential between Euro zone AD prices and UK AD prices. They could I guess have reduced the former's prices ;-)
A1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 February 2009, 04:18 AM   #10
dead steve

i wish they would increase their prices by double !!!!

my rolex will be worth more then
Old 1 February 2009, 04:18 AM   #11
TempoKing
Banned

Watch: Rolex GMT 1675
I agree

Quote:

People with cash and ...still with credit cards....
TempoKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 February 2009, 04:22 AM   #12
chenx15
"TRF" Member

nothing makes me smile more than seeing rolex prices go up. in two years or when the economy is back, it's going to kaching time!
17/18 of the last GS finals, 237 consecutive weeks #1
5 consecutive wimbledon + 1 = 6 cups
5 consecutive US open
4 Australian open
1 Sweet french open
a crown for every achievement
The Greatest Of All Time loves Rolex
chenx15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 February 2009, 04:25 AM   #13
vapalux
"TRF" Member

Weird isn't it?

Just got back from visiting 2 AD's within 50 yards of one another. One was saying they were going up by at least 15% on Monday and the other one genuinely didn't know when, or how much and was surprised when I told them!

On top of that the first one would only give me 10% on a GMT Master 11, which is awesome in weight, but I needed a little convincing on the colours. They weren't really interested so I walked out.

Its sit back and wait time. Its going up, not down, as to when we will find out soon

Si
vapalux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 February 2009, 04:28 AM   #14
vapalux
"TRF" Member

Quote:
i wish they would increase their prices by double !!!!

my rolex will be worth more then
Doesn't always work that way unfortunately.

Then of course there's the problem of not being able to afford one!!!!!! Because we aint millionaires!

Si
Old 1 February 2009, 04:35 AM   #15
dead steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by vapalux View Post
Doesn't always work that way unfortunately.

Then of course there's the problem of not being able to afford one!!!!!! Because we aint millionaires!

Si
i've got a sea dweller 16600, so it's going up in value anyway
Old 1 February 2009, 05:05 AM   #16
kokovovoru
"TRF" Member

Perhaps, Rolex is just trying to bring the price up to the point where the pricing of UK Rolex is the same as the rest of the EU countries. In this case, a price increase is long overdue. I guess. Please correct me if I am wrong.
kokovovoru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 February 2009, 06:27 AM   #17
vapalux
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Many congrats. Saw one today but no thank you.

It only go's up when people can afford it and supply and demand. If demand is there people will buy, IF they can afford it, if demand falls off making supply readily available the price will reduce. So theoretically it may not go up at all. If its gold it will cos thats about the only thing that is rising!

This isn't just a tiny economic blip. Its Worldwide and affects anybody and everything.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Si
Old 1 February 2009, 06:27 AM   #18
vapalux
"TRF" Member

J

Last edited by vapalux; 1 February 2009 at 06:31 AM.. Reason: duplicate posing
Old 1 February 2009, 06:35 AM   #19
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Watch: ALL SOLD!!
WOW!! Wonder what my Platty would be worth now? Glad I bought it when I did!!

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
JJ Irani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 February 2009, 06:48 AM   #20
2careless
"TRF" Member

Watch: Pepsi
Quote:

It's going up sure if BNIB, but once you start scratching it, the value goes down fast.
2careless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 February 2009, 07:12 AM   #21
charliec
"TRF" Member

I was informed that gold/plat are averaging 12% with steel averaging 9%. However nothing in writting!!! So I guess we're all still pi..... in the wind !!! Looks like several dealers have just had deliveries also. I was offered ANOTHER GV on Thursday just gone. Plenty of SS GMT II's, Subs (ALL), Exp (both), Milgauss B&W ................ all in this last week at several AD's
Mid-size DJ
Tudor 18ct Prince
charliec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 February 2009, 08:14 AM   #22
dcrljen
"TRF" Member

Just got back from London late evening.
Was on a business trip and luckily managed to find the Yacht Master at Mappin & Webb on Regent street. The AD confirmed the price increase as of Monday.
Got the Platty for 5,450 GBP (no discount at all) but managed to get it tax free and collected 620 GBP at the Heathrow airport so I ended up paying 4.830 GBP which is great when I convert it back to euros.

BTW, the Platty is an amazing watch - the best Rolex I have so far (and I have the Submariner, Green Submariner, GMT Master II + GMT IIc, White Milgauss). Of course, the best one in my collection is a white gold Datejust from 1983 that I inheritted from my late father. But this one sits safely in the bank safe as I am keeping it for my son when he grows up. (I did wear it for a couple of yrs before "retiring" it 2 yrs ago)

Thanks,
Danko
dcrljen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 February 2009, 03:08 PM   #23
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Watch: ALL SOLD!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcrljen View Post
Just got back from London late evening.
Was on a business trip and luckily managed to find the Yacht Master at Mappin & Webb on Regent street. The AD confirmed the price increase as of Monday.
Got the Platty for 5,450 GBP (no discount at all) but managed to get it tax free and collected 620 GBP at the Heathrow airport so I ended up paying 4.830 GBP which is great when I convert it back to euros.

BTW, the Platty is an amazing watch - the best Rolex I have so far (and I have the Submariner, Green Submariner, GMT Master II + GMT IIc, White Milgauss). Of course, the best one in my collection is a white gold Datejust from 1983 that I inheritted from my late father. But this one sits safely in the bank safe as I am keeping it for my son when he grows up. (I did wear it for a couple of yrs before "retiring" it 2 yrs ago)

Thanks,
Danko

Congrats on a superb acquisition, Danko. I love my Platty, it's such a stunning looking watch.

So your final price was £5450 - £620 = £4830.

When I convert that price into NZ Dollars, I'm glad I bought mine in Dec. 07 for a fabulously low, low price.

Cheers - JJ

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
JJ Irani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 February 2009, 07:17 AM   #24
clubsta
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
Prices

Anyone know when the prices in the States are set to go up?
clubsta is offline   Reply With Quote