The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 6 April 2019, 10:57 AM   #1
Boiler_up
"TRF" Member

Luck & No Loyalty

Greetings all,

Realizing this is my first post, I expect some skepticism. However, my good friend and fellow member urged me to post my story...

A few weeks ago (after much encouragement from a fellow member) I began down the rabbit hole that is watch collecting. After a quick visit from a close friend and fellow Rolex enthusiast we visited a local AD on a Saturday. They didn’t have any current inventory of the unobtainables, but we struck up a conversation. We left on a good note. The next Wednesday, I called this AD on a whim and learned they had a Submariner (no date) in inventory. I made the drive up and purchased. Over the next two weeks, I continued to study up and outline my next piece. The GMT LN seemed like a perfect compliment. On the first day of Basel 2019, I called another local AD whom I had no prior relationship with. They informed me they had just received a GMT LN that was not reserved. I made the drive over and picked this piece up. I felt fortunate as I had desired it and it had just been discontinued. Fast forward roughly 2 weeks and I am visiting family in SW FL and call a local AD (no previous relationship) on a whim and learn they have a polar explorer ii in stock (another piece I had been eyeing). I have a short conversation and decide to make the drive to see it in person. Upon arrival I notice a Tudor BB GMT on steel bracelet in the case as well as said explorer ii. Figuring these odds won’t come around again, I purchase both. Needless to say, I feel it is a bit of beginners luck and persistence. I am happy with this collection and will likely restrain myself for the foreseeable future. All this to say, don’t give up hope...there are watches out there if you are open to making calls and visits. Cheers!
Boiler_up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 April 2019, 11:46 AM   #2
Coolex
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boiler_up View Post
Greetings all,

Realizing this is my first post, I expect some skepticism. However, my good friend and fellow member urged me to post my story...

A few weeks ago (after much encouragement from a fellow member) I began down the rabbit hole that is watch collecting. After a quick visit from a close friend and fellow Rolex enthusiast we visited a local AD on a Saturday. They didn’t have any current inventory of the unobtainables, but we struck up a conversation. We left on a good note. The next Wednesday, I called this AD on a whim and learned they had a Submariner (no date) in inventory. I made the drive up and purchased. Over the next two weeks, I continued to study up and outline my next piece. The GMT LN seemed like a perfect compliment. On the first day of Basel 2019, I called another local AD whom I had no prior relationship with. They informed me they had just received a GMT LN that was not reserved. I made the drive over and picked this piece up. I felt fortunate as I had desired it and it had just been discontinued. Fast forward roughly 2 weeks and I am visiting family in SW FL and call a local AD (no previous relationship) on a whim and learn they have a polar explorer ii in stock (another piece I had been eyeing). I have a short conversation and decide to make the drive to see it in person. Upon arrival I notice a Tudor BB GMT on steel bracelet in the case as well as said explorer ii. Figuring these odds won’t come around again, I purchase both. Needless to say, I feel it is a bit of beginners luck and persistence. I am happy with this collection and will likely restrain myself for the foreseeable future. All this to say, don’t give up hope...there are watches out there if you are open to making calls and visits. Cheers!
What are you saying when you call?
Coolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 April 2019, 11:55 AM   #3
BillA
2024 Pledge Member

It’s nice to have unlimited funds.
BillA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 April 2019, 12:21 PM   #4
ElJefe302
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillA View Post
It’s nice to have unlimited funds.
Or a high C.C. Limit
Seems like the OP should buy a lotto ticket too
ElJefe302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 April 2019, 12:26 PM   #5
doboy007
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR/LVc/SkyD/ND41
I wouldn't call GMT LN a perfect complement to a no date Sub. Pretty much a same watch (black on black) with a GMT hand and PCL. But that's just me.
doboy007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 April 2019, 12:45 PM   #6
Boiler_up
"TRF" Member

Realizing after I posted, I should have clarified. This is not meant to brag, boast, etc. I simply wanted to share my experience in today’s market (against my better judgement). I am sorry many have resorted to thinking I am bragging or boasting as that wasn’t the intent. I simply have called and been genuine when speaking with these dealers and talked about the supply issues they are facing. Thanks and have a good weekend.
Boiler_up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 April 2019, 12:47 PM   #7
Urosfan
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me now
Welcome good story , you never know in life you seem to have good karma ,
Urosfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 April 2019, 12:50 PM   #8
JTejeda320
Banned

That's pretty good luck! Nice collection too!
JTejeda320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 April 2019, 12:50 PM   #9
WoundUpInTheSouthUSA
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub-C date
That is amazing luck. Congratulations on those finds. By the way, you don't sound like you're bragging to me, that's more like Good News that is to good not to tell everyone about.
WoundUpInTheSouthUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 April 2019, 12:52 PM   #10
JePro
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16613 / 126600
"Ask and ye shall receive." Congrats! Now, go ask for a SS Daytona.
JePro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 April 2019, 12:54 PM   #11
Caynuck
"TRF" Member

How long were those drives
Old 6 April 2019, 12:56 PM   #12
zengineer
"TRF" Member

I know it's tempting to buy hard to find stuff because it's suddenly in front of you but I'd suggest you slow down and savor building a collection.
zengineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 April 2019, 12:57 PM   #13
DoctorA
"TRF" Member

Lucky man!
Old 6 April 2019, 12:57 PM   #14
JayHantz
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Watch: @Escapementt
On a whim, you should buy a lottery ticket.

Congratulations! Glad to see that some of the hard to gets can still be obtained!
JayHantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 April 2019, 01:01 PM   #15
Rdkc01
"TRF" Member

Didn’t take it as braggadocious. I too have experienced a difference in experience from ADs. Some having a piece in not spoken for and far more expressing they never have stainless pieces available out side of ther list a waiting clientele.
Rdkc01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 April 2019, 01:22 PM   #16
77T
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

You have had an amazing start in the Rolex addiction. Thanks for sharing that.

Welcome to the forum.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 April 2019, 02:06 PM   #17
steadywaters
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060
An envious collection within 1 month! Definitely test your lucky with a Daytona...

These stories are worth sharing for sure -- shows that you just need to call around and put in a little bit of effort and you'll never know what might turn up.
steadywaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 April 2019, 02:24 PM   #18
jiffy
"TRF" Member

Enjoy wearing those fine watches you found. Welcome to the Forum!
jiffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 April 2019, 04:44 PM   #19
brucethemanlee
"TRF" Member

nice
4 in 4 weeks?
are you actually enjoying your watches?
brucethemanlee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 6 April 2019, 05:19 PM   #20
jimcameron
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16800
Have you ever visited a Porsche dealership?
jimcameron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 April 2019, 05:36 PM   #21
clb521
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boiler_up View Post
Greetings all,

Welcome to the crazy hobby of watch collecting. The sub no date is not impossible to find and of the SS sports one that you can find with a little work. The black GMT was good luck and nice timing. The explorer is again, not a very hard watch to get if you make a few calls. Tudor watches are fairly common.

At the end of the day, you have a nice starting collection. Now if you came on and said I got a hulk at my 1st AD walk in and then next week got a batman and just stumbled on a daytona, you would have a bunch of very jealous people on the forum and you should buy a lottery ticket because you are lucky.

Congrats on your findings and welcome.
clb521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 April 2019, 06:37 PM   #22
Fleetlord
2024 Pledge Member

Would these have been purchased regardless of availability?

If they were ubiquitous in AD cases, would have been as interested?
Fleetlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 April 2019, 06:44 PM   #23
Dr.Mehr
"TRF" Member

Pics ?
Dr.Mehr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 April 2019, 06:47 PM   #24
Wobbly
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucethemanlee View Post
nice
4 in 4 weeks?
are you actually enjoying your watches?
My thoughts.
Wobbly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 April 2019, 06:47 PM   #25
VacherObsessive
"TRF" Member

I didn’t hear any bragging tone in your post, but perhaps you don’t know how you sound having just recently been thinking about buying your first proper wrist watch then going round spending circa $25k-$30k on 4 pieces in 4 weeks on a whim. I have no issue with it but for a beginner it seems a little excessive and may be regretful as you have had no time to absorb the enjoyment of the first piece let alone the subsequent 3.

Again not a big deal as you could spend the same on 1 DD, but it’s the journey that matters and the enjoyment, not being able to go around going bang bang bang buy buy buy.

As your post is telling a story, people like to read about journeys in my view. For some people it’s a lifetime achievement to get just 1. And that’s a great story and they really love that piece and put in really hard graft to get it.

Either way you’ve got them now so enjoy them in good health, buy as many as you want it’s your £. As you are new and probably don’t know what you want out of it yet, and being able to lay that sort of money down regularly, I think you should be aiming for Patek and the like, strive to get 1 decent heavy hitting piece from time to time and live to tell the tale. Do some more soul searching before buying anymore I’d say
VacherObsessive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 April 2019, 06:48 PM   #26
Wobbly
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleetlord View Post

I think you maybe right.
Wobbly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 April 2019, 07:23 PM   #27
FinWatch
"TRF" Member

Welcome this forum and congrats for your amazing collection!
As you can see: there are plenty of different strong opinions here. Don't think too much other people's opinions—it’s your life, your way of starting this amazing passionate hobby/journey.
At first I had only one Rolex. After some time I started like you: I got some very hot models in a short period of time.
Then I changed everything....
I got a little carried away, I also noticed, that I bought some watches only because they were hard to get -models. Now it’s more important to me that if the watch honestly signs to me somehow or not. I am also such a collector that I have to live with the watch for some time to know if it is a Keeper or not.
I started with Rolex, but know I have also Omega, Grand Seiko, Eterna and Glashütte...
I also love the history behind the watch; when was the watch invented? For what? What is the story behind the mechanism? Who has been wearing the watch?
The visual beauty of the dial is also relevant to me. Watches can be like some small paintings, pieces of Art.
Someone will judge you here (as you can read some earlier comments...) for spending that much for watches.. I think that it’s just sad making that kind of comments. It’s your choice what you want to do with your money. People are drinking their money, spending for cars/travelling/clothes or don’t have the money to spend at all. Someone just envies you.
I am truly happy for you! I enjoy having different watches. I’ve made many mistakes, but for me: it’s just a part of this journey.
Thanks for sharing and once again:
Welcome!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
FinWatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 April 2019, 07:35 PM   #28
SpeakWithMichael
"TRF" Member

Watch: Superocean 44not42
Quote:
Originally Posted by VacherObsessive View Post
For some people it’s a lifetime achievement to get just 1.
This.

Nevertheless, congrats to you for being fortunate enough to obtain all of these for yourself, whether it was in 4 weeks or 4 decades.
SpeakWithMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 April 2019, 07:49 PM   #29
SkyJuice
"TRF" Member

Icon14

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinWatch View Post
Welcome this forum and congrats for your amazing collection!
As you can see: there are plenty of different strong opinions here. Don't think too much other people's opinions—it’s your life, your way of starting this amazing passionate hobby/journey.
At first I had only one Rolex. After some time I started like you: I got some very hot models in a short period of time.
Then I changed everything....
I got a little carried away, I also noticed, that I bought some watches only because they were hard to get -models. Now it’s more important to me that if the watch honestly signs to me somehow or not. I am also such a collector that I have to live with the watch for some time to know if it is a Keeper or not.
I started with Rolex, but know I have also Omega, Grand Seiko, Eterna and Glashütte...
I also love the history behind the watch; when was the watch invented? For what? What is the story behind the mechanism? Who has been wearing the watch?
The visual beauty of the dial is also relevant to me. Watches can be like some small paintings, pieces of Art.
Someone will judge you here (as you can read some earlier comments...) for spending that much for watches.. I think that it’s just sad making that kind of comments. It’s your choice what you want to do with your money. People are drinking their money, spending for cars/travelling/clothes or don’t have the money to spend at all. Someone just envies you.
I am truly happy for you! I enjoy having different watches. I’ve made many mistakes, but for me: it’s just a part of this journey.
Thanks for sharing and once again:
Welcome!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Well said!
SkyJuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 April 2019, 07:49 PM   #30
jsausley
"TRF" Member

Watch: 214270/116710BLNR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleetlord View Post

You know the answer to that, and this is why Rolex isn't interested in producing more watches. Hype sells products.

Of the 40,000 pairs of Yeezy shoes that Kanye sells within 24 hours every time they come out, how many would be bought if they were available every day at Footlocker?