The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 10 April 2019, 04:50 AM   #1
Pilliam
"TRF" Member

Jubilee v. Oyster

For those of you who have each, what are the advantages/disadvantages, especially in terms of wearability? I have oysters, and a DJ41 with jubilee on order, so I ask because I'd like to know if there's one you prefer over the other? For example, if you swim, which do you prefer? Which is more comfortable? Obviously jubilee is dressier, but does that mean you don't engage in recreational activities in your jubilee?
Bought my wife a DJ36 a year ago and have tried it on a couple of times, and it's damn comfortable. Thank you.
Pilliam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 April 2019, 05:27 AM   #2
TswaneNguni
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytonas/Subs/GMTs
For me ..
DJ41= Jubilee
Sports models = Oyster

Its clear the market loves a red/blue bezel insert and a jubilee
TswaneNguni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 April 2019, 05:28 AM   #3
Stevec14
"TRF" Member

Watch: 321, Snoopy 3
Both great and just as comfortable as one another. Jubilee is more blingy/dressy but like both and nice to have the options in a collection.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Stevec14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 April 2019, 06:28 AM   #4
swils8610
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TswaneNguni View Post
For me ..

DJ41= Jubilee

Sports models = Oyster

Its clear the market loves a red/blue bezel insert and a jubilee

Same here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
swils8610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 April 2019, 06:30 AM   #5
jcross
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Submariner
Ditto
jcross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 April 2019, 09:09 AM   #6
inadeje
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: me lose count.
For me:

DJ41 smooth bezel = oyster
DJ41 fluted bezel = jubilee
♛ 116689 ♛ 116500LN Blk ♛ 116500LN Wht ♛ Sky Dweller 326934-003 ♛ 126710BLNR ♛ 126710BLRO - ♛ 126610LV ♛ 16520 ♛ 16523 ♛ 16610 ♛ 5513 Birth Year - ✠ Patek Philippe 5980/1A-001 - AP 26331ST Panda - Panerai Fiddy 127, Bronzo 671, 687, 111, Ω Speedmaster 1957 Broad Arrow, Daniel Roth Endurer Chronosprint, Cartier Santos XL - ✿ Tudor Black Bay 58 Bronze M79012M, Montblanc TimeWalker Chrono 41
inadeje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 April 2019, 10:35 AM   #7
blue lion
"TRF" Member

Watch: It's just a watch.
I like the oyster, the jubilee doesn't work for me.
blue lion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 April 2019, 10:37 AM   #8
Pilliam
"TRF" Member

Thank you all. Great feedback! I’m excited to get the DJ41 because I believe, as so many here do, it’s a key piece to a collection, and because much has been made of the sturdiness of the bracelet these days.

I agree with the “fashion/pairing” sensibilities you mention; are you confident that the jubilee holds up to the rigors that the oyster does (obviously not diving)? Thanks again.
Pilliam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 April 2019, 10:57 AM   #9
tadbart
"TRF" Member

Watch: 14060
I was at a restaurant last night, wearing my Sub (obviously on an Oyster). Guy at the next table was wearing the most stunning DJ I've ever seen. Jubilee, fluted, white dial with Romans. As I was leaving, I stopped and complimented him on a beautifully stunning piece, and joked that it made my Sub look plain. We both laughed.

That Jubilee bracelet just absolutely lit up the room. Gonna have to go get on the list for the new BLNR soon.
tadbart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 April 2019, 11:00 AM   #10
pkincy
"TRF" Member

For me smooth bezel = oyster and fluted = jubilee. Note: I don't do tool watches outside the Explorer and that fits the smooth = oyster match.
pkincy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 April 2019, 11:23 AM   #11
subprimero
"TRF" Member

Watch: 14060
The Oyster is more casual than the Jubilee.
subprimero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 April 2019, 11:40 AM   #12
Fallranger
"TRF" Member

Watch: Hulk (116610LV)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pkincy View Post
For me smooth bezel = oyster and fluted = jubilee. Note: I don't do tool watches outside the Explorer and that fits the smooth = oyster match.
Agree. I went with the smooth bezel with oyster on my DJ41. Wanted the whole thing to be sporty enough for a weekend watch.
Old 10 April 2019, 11:56 AM   #13
ctdean
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TswaneNguni View Post
For me ..
DJ41= Jubilee
Sports models = Oyster
Agree
ctdean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 April 2019, 12:04 PM   #14
broham84
"TRF" Member

I personally prefer the jubilee on my Pepsi as opposed to the oyster on my Daytona. It’s more comfortable and quite frankly I like the look better as well.
broham84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 April 2019, 12:15 PM   #15
JayG
"TRF" Member

Watch: FP Journe CB/ 5711
I generally like the oyster. I feel it expresses my aesthetic a little better, especially day wear including work. The Pepsi does look great on jubilee though especially in the evening
JayG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 April 2019, 12:30 PM   #16
DoctorA
"TRF" Member

Initially I didn’t care much for jubilee but after my DJ and BLRO on jubilee, I prefer jubilee much more
Way more comfortable, doesn’t show scratches and very versatile
Old 10 April 2019, 12:44 PM   #17
Late
"TRF" Member

Watch: space too short
The Jubilee is more comfortable, by a lot. Not even close. If you don't ever notice your bracelet - i.e. it just doesn't matter to you - it still won't. But for those of us who do, the Jubilee is extremely comfortable. It's thinner, more flexible and breathes better.

The Oyster has more "presence" (is chunkier), the Jubilee has more "snazz." (Detractors might call that "bling.") I prefer snazz over presence; to me, chunky is posing. But if you have large wrists and overwhelm a watch easily, presence is your friend.

The Jubilee is a bit like functional jewelry; good looking is clearly a goal. The Oyster evokes the idea that a chain was beaten into a bracelet; functionality and durability is the goal.

So, on a DateJust or Day-Date, the Oyster would look silly. On a Seiko Monster, the Jubilee would look pansy-bottomed. On a Sub? How fancy? Probably still an Oyster, since the image is "tool."

As for "recreational activities", I have a fluted DJ41 Jubilee, and I wear it for all sorts of activities. The bracelet doesn't really impact it. But I also do serious swimming - no watch. I scuba - with my Mares Puck Pro. Real divers don't wear Rolex... if they have a backup analog watch (many do), it's a Seiko or a cheap quartz. (Thing about serious divers - no money.)
Late is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 April 2019, 01:04 PM   #18
shapa
"TRF" Member

My personal opinion is that the fluted bezel paired with the oyster bracelet makes the DJ41 extremely versatile- giving it both a dressy and a sport character. Can pair it up with a suit or shorts. The fluted bezel with the jubilee is just overkill- way too dressy. You will constantly see comments as above, that fluted=jubilee- I humbly disagree. I also like the jubilee bracelet with the non-fluted bezel- for the same reason mentioned above.
shapa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 April 2019, 01:12 PM   #19
Kyle3130
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shapa View Post
My personal opinion is that the fluted bezel paired with the oyster bracelet makes the DJ41 extremely versatile- giving it both a dressy and a sport character. Can pair it up with a suit or shorts. The fluted bezel with the jubilee is just overkill- way too dressy. You will constantly see comments as above, that fluted=jubilee- I humbly disagree. I also like the jubilee bracelet with the non-fluted bezel- for the same reason mentioned above.
Agreed, there is a reason Rolex used the blue dial, fluted bezel, and oyster bracelet combo for the advertisements when the DJ41 was released. It’s the best looking, most versatile DJ they make.
Old 10 April 2019, 02:12 PM   #20
peacocknation
"TRF" Member

Watch: All of 'em!
Looks aside, the jubilee is definitely more comfortable. I think it’s because the pieces of the bracelet are smaller so it just conforms to your wrist better.

Also, my first Rolex was a DJ41 with a jubilee bracelet and smooth bezel. Not the norm for most, but definitely combines the flashy traditional Rolex look (jubilee bracelet) with a more modern smooth bezel...almost makes it a little casual in a sense. I think it pairs well in a suit or jeans and a t-shirt.
peacocknation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 April 2019, 03:20 PM   #21
Juggernaut
"TRF" Member

I’ve had both and VASTLY prefer the oyster since I prefer sporty to bling/dressy.
With that said, the Jubilee is more comfortable since the links are finer.
Juggernaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 April 2019, 03:38 PM   #22
HKS724
Banned

Comfort: Jubilee hands down
Dressy look: Jubilee hands down
Classic look: Oyster hands down
Sporty look: Oyster hands down

I have my 16710 on a super jubilee and once in a while I tell myself, "OK, it's time to switch back to the oyster" and do so because I fancy myself a "purist" (ha ha). It only lasts about a day or two. The jubilee is so comfortable and such a joy to look at as well.
HKS724 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 April 2019, 06:04 PM   #23
SkyJuice
"TRF" Member

Looks like its time to give jubilee a go for my next watch.
SkyJuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 April 2019, 06:12 PM   #24
ppalasthira
Banned

Watch: SubC.5711.D500
I’ve never owned a Jubilee but I’ve heard it is very comfortable.

ppalasthira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 April 2019, 06:39 PM   #25
joli160
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
President > Jubilee > Oyster
Old 10 April 2019, 07:49 PM   #26
Oldwoods
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Hulk
I personally prefer the sporty style of the oyster but then all of my watches fall into that category. On a dressier watch I suspect the jubilee would be stunning.
Oldwoods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 April 2019, 08:44 PM   #27
nigelUK
"TRF" Member

I finally ordered a blue dial DJ41 at my AD last week ..

I thought I would have to have a jubilee because

* it's quite hot right now
* it's different to the countless Oysters I've owned
* it's more comfortable apparently
* it goes better with a DJ

However when I tried on the Oyster I really liked it, more than the jubilee. I liked the PCL's (on a DJ only!). I think they add just enough bling for someone who still wants a sporty ish watch and not a suit watch.

So, I've gone with Oyster / Smooth as this suits me & my general attire. I don't really want to be sparkly and catching everyone's attention with my bling. Prefer understated. So, it's down to your personal taste and maybe how/when you are planning on wearing it.

There's no bad option really...
Old 10 April 2019, 09:51 PM   #28
majorleon
"TRF" Member

For me it's a jubilee.
majorleon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 April 2019, 09:57 PM   #29
Token74
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many!
I was never a fan of the Jubilee and massively preferred the aesthetics of the Oyster. And then I got the BLRO on the Jubilee and my view changed completely!

Firstly, I find the Jubilee to be more comfortable than the Oyster, although let’s face it, the Oyster is very comfortable itself. But in terms of comfort, the Jubilee beats everything else I have (which includes the Daytona on Oysterflex, a Royal Oak, and a Patek).

Having previously owned two GMT’s on Oyster, I also have to admit to preferring the look of the Jubilee to the Oyster on this particular watch. Bizarrely, I think it looks even more casual and relaxed than the ‘sporty’ Oyster. However, I’m not sure I’d want a Jubilee on my Sea Dweller, as the Oyster suits that watch better.

Just my view of course.

Patek Philippe Nautilus 5990 - AP Royal Oak 15300 - AP Royal Oak 15450 Blue - AP Royal Oak 15450 Silver - AP Royal Oak Offshore 26480 - Royal Oak Offshore 15710 - Rolex Sea Dweller 116600 - Rolex Daytona 116519 - Rolex GMT 126710 BLRO - Omega Speedmaster Reduced - JLC Reverso GMT Moonphase - TAG Microtimer - Dent Pocket Watch - JLC Atmos Phases de lune
Token74 is offline   Reply With Quote