The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 23 June 2019, 12:01 PM   #1
ReclinerTimer
"TRF" Member

What really happens on a service for a vintage Rolex?

So like many of you I am a watch enthusiast, but am young and just got into the hobby a few years ago and have just one Rolex. It is a late 70's early 80's stainless steel smooth bezel Datejust. I have never sent a watch to Rolex, but plan to for this watch when it's time for a service. I'm just wondering, what does a general service entail for a vintage(ish) watch. Along with a basic cleaning, what really should I expect they will do? Replace parts of the movement? Replace the dial, hands, or minute markers? Do something random to the bezel or bracelet? Please help a newbie out :)
ReclinerTimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 June 2019, 12:09 PM   #2
Etschell
"TRF" Member

Watch: platinum sub
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReclinerTimer View Post
So like many of you I am a watch enthusiast, but am young and just got into the hobby a few years ago and have just one Rolex. It is a late 70's early 80's stainless steel smooth bezel Datejust. I have never sent a watch to Rolex, but plan to for this watch when it's time for a service. I'm just wondering, what does a general service entail for a vintage(ish) watch. Along with a basic cleaning, what really should I expect they will do? Replace parts of the movement? Replace the dial, hands, or minute markers? Do something random to the bezel or bracelet? Please help a newbie out :)
Ask searchart

25 or 6 to 4.
Etschell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 June 2019, 12:43 PM   #3
Onikage
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710, 16628
It gets destroyed and you end up with a brand new, non-vintage (ex-vintage) watch.
ROLEXFANBOY P-Club Member #4
Onikage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 June 2019, 12:56 PM   #4
inadeje
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: me lose count.
Watch is completely disassembled, every part. Whole assembly is cleaned. Those parts that are visibly worn are replaced with new. Often times, hands aren’t refitted due to their friction fitment. Whole watch reassembled with correct lubes. External Polish, unless specifically declined by owner.

There are hundreds of YouTube videos showing subs etc being completely serviced.
♛ 116689 ♛ 116500LN Blk ♛ 116500LN Wht ♛ Sky Dweller 326934-003 ♛ 126710BLNR ♛ 126710BLRO - ♛ 126610LV ♛ 16520 ♛ 16523 ♛ 16610 ♛ 5513 Birth Year - ✠ Patek Philippe 5980/1A-001 - AP 26331ST Panda - Panerai Fiddy 127, Bronzo 671, 687, 111, Ω Speedmaster 1957 Broad Arrow, Daniel Roth Endurer Chronosprint, Cartier Santos XL - ✿ Tudor Black Bay 58 Bronze M79012M, Montblanc TimeWalker Chrono 41
inadeje is offline   Reply With Quote