The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Audemars Piguet Discussion Forum

Old 27 June 2019, 02:17 PM   #1
Dchan83
"TRF" Member

Rolex Daytona to a audemars ROO

Since the prices are getting steep on rolexes, I figure I may step into a second hand audemars model. I am starting to like the royal oak offshore...is trading a daytona 11652 for a royal oak offshore steel band 42mm comparable (F-series or higher). I love the Daytona but want to venture into other timepiece experiences. I don’t consider myself an expert but am a watch enthusiast.

The Daytona was really discreet and felt s little undersized even though I’m not a big guy. I like the wrist presence of the offshore.

How important is dial option to price? I see safari, panda, etc.
Dchan83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2019, 02:47 PM   #2
HK Islandboy
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP
The only Daytona that really does it for me is the WG on OF, so I’d do the trade in a heartbeat

My first AP was an ROO Panda and I love it. It has loads of wrist presence and is great for casual or business wear
HK Islandboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2019, 06:24 PM   #3
AshAP
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP Royal Oak
Many years ago I went from SS Daytona & plat yacht master to a just released new Panda Offshore and not even a nano second of regret.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
AshAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2019, 09:17 PM   #4
Naples09
"TRF" Member

I’d do it for a RO chrono but not a ROO
Naples09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2019, 09:18 PM   #5
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Love the ROOs, also check out the RO chronos, they are slimmer and an easier transition and have better bracelets for me.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 June 2019, 01:19 AM   #6
karasus
"TRF" Member

Watch: Royal Oak
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dchan83 View Post
Since the prices are getting steep on rolexes, I figure I may step into a second hand audemars model. I am starting to like the royal oak offshore...is trading a daytona 11652 for a royal oak offshore steel band 42mm comparable (F-series or higher). I love the Daytona but want to venture into other timepiece experiences. I don’t consider myself an expert but am a watch enthusiast.

The Daytona was really discreet and felt s little undersized even though I’m not a big guy. I like the wrist presence of the offshore.

How important is dial option to price? I see safari, panda, etc.
Dial to price point is extremely important for the offshore. Offshores were introduced in 1993 with the 42mm 25721ST, blue dial small tapisserie pattern, it was nicknamed "the beast" due to its oversized case for a time when most watches were 36mm. 25721 series where made in the D and E series from 1993-2001.

If you can trade for a 25721ST or a 25721TI without using any cash, its a good deal. Expect to pay 1500usd for a service though since many of these watches were abused hard (100m WR amagnetic).

Later models such as the rubber clad or themes offshore came after (F series), these are much less collectible and require a bit more maintenance (rubber clad).

AP later released a whole group of ROO made of modern materials (ceramic, forged carbon, ceramat...) these are relatively collectible, like the bumble bee / schumacher / Jarno Trulli. If you can trade for these they are pretty cool, but you have to like colourful watches. They are collectible because AP was amongst the first to use space age materials to make high end "performance" pieces.
karasus is offline   Reply With Quote